• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2017: One Mass Shooting Per Month, Min

The thread has nothing to do with my direct responce to your direct statement...

I am still waiting for you to point out what "mass shootings" have to do with this particular statement. You know the one I responded too. Also be it mass shooting or not, per capita pools are more dangerous. SO how do you respond to that. Do we need to ban pools? How about mandatory pool locks?

The whole mass shooting thing is again you just avoiding your statement and now trying to move the goal posts with a red herring.

Sorry not playing your sputter gag game, lol.

Well, it does. First off, why do you assume that only gun owners can kill people in their homes? That right there eliminates your pool thing. You know, since a non-gun owner can kill a person in their home but a non-pool owner is not going to have someone drown there. Unless, of course, you want to derail this thread further and start discussing the risks of owning a bathtub :roll:

Opioids, not opiates.

Intentional homicides must include, necessarily, homicides from all sources, including people driving on the sidewalks of Times Square and elsewhere and killing pedestrians.

:roll:

w620-afe014391829c8524fb15fd0f0647360.jpg

Weapontypes2008-630_4.gif

A pretty graph, for sure, but where are vehicles used in intentional homicides? It is good to know that more people are killed with knives and blades than are killed by shotguns. More people killed with hands, fists and feet than by shotgun or rifles.

Maybe "other weapons" includes vehicles?

Note the sub-forum: gun control. Hence, the discussion being about "guns."

I was simply explaining how interesting that insight into your thought process was. Note your use of a meme based on curiously skewed "statistics" which you oddly refuse to acknowledge. Another interesting insight into your thought process.

A pretty graph, for sure, but where are vehicles used in intentional homicides? It is good to know that more people are killed with knives and blades than are killed by shotguns. More people killed with hands, fists and feet than by shotgun or rifles.

Maybe "other weapons" includes vehicles?

Who the **** cares? Maybe people are being poisoned too. But, that doesn't take away from these facts:

325px-Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg.png

I was simply explaining how interesting that insight into your thought process was. Note your use of a meme based on curiously skewed "statistics" which you oddly refuse to acknowledge. Another interesting insight into your thought process.

We are talking about gun homicides--specifically the mass shooting per month mentioned in the OP. Please get back to that. Will anyone get back to that?

Oh, you can't because you all know that narrowly defined topic leads to a losing argument for gun zealots. Silly me. No wonder people are throwing swimming pools, vehicles and god knows what else into the mix. We can't let this discussion revolve around guns being used to kill people. Oh no. That's a losing battle---hey, bathtubs kill people too ya know."

Last edited:
Who the **** cares? Maybe people are being poisoned too. But, that doesn't take away from these facts:

Even if they repealed the Second Amendment next week and declared guns illegal, you must remember that another inanimate object declared illegal, certain drugs, are all over the place. 99% of all US currency shows traces of cocaine.

So the magic wand of prohibition has not worked for drugs. Why do you think it would work for guns?

Even if they repealed the Second Amendment next week and declared guns illegal, you must remember that another inanimate object declared illegal, certain drugs, are all over the place. 99% of all US currency shows traces of cocaine.

So the magic wand of prohibition has not worked for drugs. Why do you think it would work for guns?

Where have I suggested repealing the 2nd and declaring guns illegal?

Hell, I'd be happy to just see a few of you admit that America does indeed have a problem with gun violence. But, so far...no luck there.

Why not stay on topic? You all should try that sometime. It would make this sub-forum more enjoyable.

It was YOUR comment, and it is on topic. You made a claim on the topic and are now running from it. Pretty funny! LMAO!

It was YOUR comment, and it is on topic. You made a claim on the topic and are now running from it. Pretty funny! LMAO!

I said the chance of killing people or yourself is increased when you have a gun. Fact. You seem to want to argue swimming pools are dangerous too. I countered by saying you can kill people without a gun but no one drowns in their pool if they don't have a pool.

So, what's next, BD? Are we going to now talk about bathtubs?

Where have I suggested repealing the 2nd and declaring guns illegal?

Hell, I'd be happy to just see a few of you admit that America does indeed have a problem with gun violence. But, so far...no luck there.

You did not suggest that, and I didn't say you did.

The innuendo from your post, at least as I read it, is that if Americans could be separated from their guns, peace and harmony would rule the country. That is wishful thinking IMO.

Well, it does. First off, why do you assume that only gun owners can kill people in their homes?

I have not "assumed" anything. I responded to a comment YOU made. So the only assumption being made here is by you. To top it off it's a bad one and has nothing to do with my statements.

That right there eliminates your pool thing. You know, since a non-gun owner can kill a person in their home but a non-pool owner is not going to have someone drown there.

Completely irrelevant to anything you or I said. It has nothing to do with your comment as you said...

Gun owners are much more likely to kill family members or themselves than non-gun owners. That statistic has been posted here several times before.

You said absolutely nothing about anyone coming in from the outside. You said "gun owner" LMAO! You really need to stop and think about what you are posting as an excuse.

Unless, of course, you want to derail this thread further and start discussing the risks of owning a bathtub :roll:

Nice straw man. Again has nothing to do with your comment or my reply.

I said the chance of killing people or yourself is increased when you have a gun. Fact. You seem to want to argue swimming pools are dangerous too.

More straw man nonsense. My argument is that your statement was moronic and you could say the same thing about swimming pools. In the end we find out swimming pools are even more dangerous per capita vs gun ownership. Of course you know that and are just dancing in the wind at this point.

I countered by saying you can kill people without a gun but no one drowns in their pool if they don't have a pool.

No you didn't. You countered with...

Are there mass drowning at least once a month like there are mass shootings?

Wanna try and post another un-truth, lol.

So, what's next, BD? Are we going to now talk about bathtubs?

Straw Man:

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

More straw man nonsense. My argument is that your statement was moronic and you could say the same thing about swimming pools. In the end we find out swimming pools are even more dangerous per capita vs gun ownership. Of course you know that and are just dancing in the wind at this point.

No you didn't. You countered with...

Wanna try and post another un-truth, lol.

Straw Man:

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

The flaw in your argument is that it is possible to kill even if you do not own guns. However, it is not possible to drown in your pool if you do not have a pool. You do understand that. Correct?

So, since having a gun increases you chances to kill a family member or yourself is not the same as having a pool increases your chances to drown in your pool, your pool argument was a silly attempt to derail the thread.

Not exactly an uncommon theme in these threads. Derail deflect, discuss anything except the topic at hand.

The flaw in your argument is that it is possible to kill even if you do not own guns. However, it is not possible to drown in your pool if you do not have a pool. You do understand that. Correct?

So, since having a gun increases you chances to kill a family member or yourself is not the same as having a pool increases your chances to drown in your pool, your pool argument was a silly attempt to derail the thread.

Not exactly an uncommon theme in these threads. Derail deflect, discuss anything except the topic at hand.

Which is gun control. Do you have any Constitutional, effective, enforceable and enforced suggestions for gun control?

You keep bringing up numbers with no real argument. Two questions: what is the acceptable level of firearms deaths in the US each year, and what is the acceptable amount of mass shootings each year? In other words, how will we know when gun control works?

The flaw in your argument is that it is possible to kill even if you do not own guns.

Which again has absolutely nothing to do with your comment or mine.

Gun owners are much more likely to kill family members or themselves than non-gun owners. That statistic has been posted here several times before.

My argument is that this statement is hyperbole. I used pools as an example, not as my argument. I figure you could tell the difference. I was obviously wrong.

However, it is not possible to drown in your pool if you do not have a pool. You do understand that. Correct?

However, it is not possible to shoot yourself if you do not have a gun. You do understand that. Correct?

There is no flaw in my argument.

You are right about that. It's no argument at all.

Second reply: it appears that your solution to not having a pool is the solution to not drowning in your own pool, and that not having a gun is the solution to prevent one from shooting oneself or a family member. Given that owning a gun is both legal and a protected right, what is your proposal to reduce the number of people owning guns?

Which again has absolutely nothing to do with your comment or mine.

My argument is that this statement is hyperbole. I used pools as an example, not as my argument. I figure you could tell the difference. I was obviously wrong.

However, it is not possible to shoot yourself if you do not have a gun. You do understand that. Correct?

You are right about that. It's no argument at all.

False. My argument is solid.

Having a gun increases your chances to kill yourself or a family member. Why is that? Does having a kitchen knife increase your chances to stab a partner or yourself? Sure. But, there are more people with kitchen knives than guns. So, explain to me why we have 12,000 gun homicides and 20,000 gun suicides per year but a negligible number of deaths due to kitchen knives.

Second reply: it appears that your solution to not having a pool is the solution to not drowning in your own pool, and that not having a gun is the solution to prevent one from shooting oneself or a family member. Given that owning a gun is both legal and a protected right, what is your proposal to reduce the number of people owning guns?

As stated several times, right now I'd be happy to just see a few of you accept the fact that we have a problem with gun violence in this country. So far, that simple fact itself is not even standing a snowball's chance in hell of being acknowledged.

Having a gun increases your chances to kill yourself or a family member. Why is that? Does having a kitchen knife increase your chances to stab a partner or yourself? Sure. But, there are more people with kitchen knives than guns. So, explain to me why we have 12,000 gun homicides and 20,000 gun suicides per year but a negligible number of deaths due to kitchen knives.

Have you ever considered that the psychos who kill family, friends or strangers are nothing but cowards?

And yet you have come up with nothing but fallacy arguments to attempt to defend it.

I have already pointed out you are far more likely per capita to kill your family by having a swimming pool. I have also posted evidence to prove this is the case.

As for knifes...

Knives Kill More People Each Year Than Rifles: Time For Knife Control? - Knives Killed Five Times As Many People As Rifles Last Year

The FBI’s 2015 Uniform Crime Report (UCR) shows nearly three times more people were stabbed or hacked to death than were killed with rifles and shotguns combined. - FBI: Nearly Three Times More People Stabbed to Death Than Killed With Rifles, Shotguns Combined - Breitbart

Knife Killings in City Increased 50 Percent in 2008 - Fatal Stabbings Up by 50% in New York City in 2008 - The New York Times

Even the devil can quote scriptures, LMAO!

Get a real argument.

Have you ever considered that the psychos who kill family, friends or strangers are nothing but cowards?

If guns were not part of the equation, said cowards would be far less likely to kill family, friends, and strangers. How do I know this? 12,000 people are killed by guns on average every year. Only a handful of people are stabbed or beaten to death with a hammer: two tools every single home in America has in it.

Will the insanity ever end? Probably not. It will only increase. Gun Rights Lobby is too strong. Giving an inch will never happen. Bodies will only pile up.

Even under the narrowest definition, there's been at least 1 mass shooting every month this year - CNN.com

But, make no mistake, it is gun culture that is at the root of this. Americans love their guns. And, they reach for them when pissed off. And, that is happening more and more with each and every passing month.

Ours is simply not a healthy society.

And yet you have come up with nothing but fallacy arguments to attempt to defend it.

I have already pointed out you are far more likely per capita to kill your family by having a swimming pool. I have also posted evidence to prove this is the case.

As for knifes...

Knives Kill More People Each Year Than Rifles: Time For Knife Control? - Knives Killed Five Times As Many People As Rifles Last Year

The FBI’s 2015 Uniform Crime Report (UCR) shows nearly three times more people were stabbed or hacked to death than were killed with rifles and shotguns combined. - FBI: Nearly Three Times More People Stabbed to Death Than Killed With Rifles, Shotguns Combined - Breitbart

Knife Killings in City Increased 50 Percent in 2008 - Fatal Stabbings Up by 50% in New York City in 2008 - The New York Times

Even the devil can quote scriptures, LMAO!

Get a real argument.
Maybe you should get a real argument.

Look at where guns are on that chart, then seek out knives. 3000 versus 12,000. That would be 1/4. But yet everyone literally has a knife.

Back
Top Bottom