• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2017: One Mass Shooting Per Month, Min

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Will the insanity ever end? Probably not. It will only increase. Gun Rights Lobby is too strong. Giving an inch will never happen. Bodies will only pile up.

Even under the narrowest definition, there's been at least 1 mass shooting every month this year - CNN.com

But, make no mistake, it is gun culture that is at the root of this. Americans love their guns. And, they reach for them when pissed off. And, that is happening more and more with each and every passing month.

Wrong, it wont only increase, mass shootings and violent crime in general have been on the decline, less so in liberal cities with gun control:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-gun-violence-in-the-united-states-heres-why/

Has been true for decades, despite how many bodies your agenda requires you to stand on in order to justify attacking an essential liberty.

Will the insanity ever end? Probably not. It will only increase. Gun Rights Lobby is too strong. Giving an inch will never happen. Bodies will only pile up.

Even under the narrowest definition, there's been at least 1 mass shooting every month this year - CNN.com

But, make no mistake, it is gun culture that is at the root of this. Americans love their guns. And, they reach for them when pissed off. And, that is happening more and more with each and every passing month.

So all Americans reach for their guns when pissed off? The entire gun culture is responsible for mass shootings? In your past threads you come off as demonizing those that penalize the majority for the actions of a fraction. Rather two faced....

Wrong, it wont only increase, mass shootings and violent crime in general have been on the decline, less so in liberal cities with gun control:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-gun-violence-in-the-united-states-heres-why/

Has been true for decades, despite how many bodies your agenda requires you to stand on in order to justify attacking an essential liberty.

False

THUMB.jpg

We are a deeply violent culture, and violence in public life is simply endemic to the US.

If find this statement to be most accurate, but I'm not really sure what, in practical terms, we can do about it:

"The widespread presence of guns dramatically magnifies the lethality of the range of mental illness, political dispute, personal vendetta and untethered anger that is more or less universal in modern societies and frankly the human condition. Certainly this would all be different if firearms were not so widespread in the United States, easy to acquire and so deeply imbedded in American culture."

Guns and Political Killing – Talking Points Memo

Last edited:
So all Americans reach for their guns when pissed off? The entire gun culture is responsible for mass shootings? In your past threads you come off as demonizing those that penalize the majority for the actions of a fraction. Rather two faced....

Where did I write "all"? Please do point that out.

By what standard? Source for that graph?

The FBI's violent crime stats call your bull**** FALSE, and theirs are reliable #'s not bull**** stats based on weak standards of "mass shootings" from biased anti-gun groups.

By your own source:
According to the non-profit Gun Violence Archive (only concerned with gun violence, clearly a biased group) which compiles data from shooting incidents, a "mass shooting" is any incident where four or more people are wounded or killed (including the killer).
By that "definition", from January 1 to June 14, we have seen 154 mass shootings.
That's averages to 6.7 mass shootings a week.

What a terrible standard. If that includes the killer and no one has to die, then basically every shooting where more than two people get wounded is a mass shooting.

Pathetic.

We are a deeply violent culture, and violence in public life is simply endemic to the US.

Is it? Or do the guns make it all that much easier? Looking at most people I see walking around, exerting themselves is not exactly their strong suit. If people were forced to beat each other to death, I doubt we'd see more than a few dozen homicides per year. But, give fat Charlie access to a gun, and voila! 12,000 gun deaths appear on the board.

By what standard? Source for that graph?

The FBI's violent crime stats call your bull**** FALSE, and theirs are reliable #'s not bull**** stats based on weak standards of "mass shootings" from biased anti-gun groups.

By your own source:
According to the non-profit Gun Violence Archive (only concerned with gun violence, clearly a biased group) which compiles data from shooting incidents, a "mass shooting" is any incident where four or more people are wounded or killed (including the killer).
By that definition, from January 1 to June 14, we have seen 154 mass shootings.
That's averages to 6.7 mass shootings a week.

What a terrible standard. If that includes the killer and no one has to die, then basically every shooting where more than two people get wounded is a mass shooting.

Pathetic.

Yeah, facts suck. Don't they. Maybe you should post some of your alternative facts. :roll:

People are filled with hatred, yelling and screaming at each other, hopelessness is abound, frustration is at a near record level, we can hardly tell a lie from the truth anymore, and that is only the beginning.
Some break under pressure, and we tend to ignore the warning signs, laugh about the violent and vicious rhetoric, think it is a game. From "kill the pigs" to "I hope he dies an agonizing death", words spoken (or written) have meaning. Hatred feeds hatred, and we don't know who is listening or reading.
The Virginia shooter didn't just become unglued yesterday. Why anyone thinks violence is the answer is beyond me. That has to come from some dark and twisted mind long in the making.

People are filled with hatred, yelling and screaming at each other, hopelessness is abound, frustration is at a near record level, we can hardly tell a lie from the truth anymore, and that is only the beginning.
Some break under pressure, and we tend to ignore the warning signs, laugh about the violent and vicious rhetoric, think it is a game. From "kill the pigs" to "I hope he dies an agonizing death", words spoken (or written) have meaning. Hatred feeds hatred, and we don't know who is listening or reading.
The Virginia shooter didn't just become unglued yesterday. Why anyone thinks violence is the answer is beyond me. That has to come from some dark and twisted mind long in the making.

Agreed, and easy access to plenty of guns makes going off all that much easier. Like I said above, 68 year old fat dude is not going to go out beating people to death. But, hand him an AR 15, and death comes in bunches from just putting a few ounces of pressure on a trigger.

Where did I write "all"? Please do point that out.

You used an implied universal. You did not say "some" reach for their guns. You also did the same for those members of the so called "gun culture" when you held that culture responsible for these murders. If that is not what you meant, then perhaps you should try and say what you really mean. Do you really mean that millions of lawful, peaceful gun owners should be expected to give up their freedoms over the actions of a fraction of 1%?

THIS CARNAGE WILL STOP WHEN I'M PRESIDENT :mrgreen:
~ Donald J Trump

My suspicion after viewing the comparative data for US States and European countries is that guns are only a secondary influence, while the violence is due to other cultural factors.

Agreed, and easy access to plenty of guns makes going off all that much easier. Like I said above, 68 year old fat dude is not going to go out beating people to death. But, hand him an AR 15, and death comes in bunches from just putting a few ounces of pressure on a trigger.

How come with "easy access to plenty of guns", to the tune of 300 million plus guns, that active shooter incidents are so rare. That's 80 million gun owners times 365 days a year for a total of 29 billion shooter-days of opportunity. One a month is still 12/29 billion or 2.4 billion to one odds of such an occurrence. That seems fairly rare to me.

Sorry, I disagree.
there are millions upon millions of gun owners that obtain firearms legally & that do NOT use those legal firearms for nefarious purposes.

the few people that perform the mass shootings are an extremely small percentage of gun owners, and many of these obtain firearms illegally.

THIS CARNAGE WILL STOP WHEN I'M PRESIDENT :mrgreen:
~ Donald J Trump

among many things promised, Trump did promise to stop the violence, if elected to the office of POTUS

he obviously has an invisible magic wand he was gonna wave around & some how magically STOP crime on a dime

LOL, he is so full of himself & of course it does take an asinine electorate to believe such horse **** to get such a candidate elected

the average American voter is really quite stupid IMO ............

among many things promised, Trump did promise to stop the violence, if elected to the office of POTUS

he obviously has an invisible magic wand he was gonna wave around & some how magically STOP crime on a dime

LOL, he is so full of himself & of course it does take an asinine electorate to believe such horse **** to get such a candidate elected

Americans are really very smart IMO ............

But somehow he was still elected and we have to deal with the crap.

He'll be just fine after he's gone, but we'll have to clean up the **** for generations.

But somehow he was still elected and we have to deal with the crap.

He'll be just fine after he's gone, but we'll have to clean up the **** for generations.

I'm not cleaning up **** .................. I'm going to go have a nice cigar :mrgreen:

people need to ****ing realize that there are other (political) choices besides the same ole same ole Dem & Rep **** in this nation

The tool isn't the problem, the tool user is the problem. Take away one tool and the tool users will find another to do the job. Your sorry excuse for an argument also ignores the fact that law abiding gun owners who aren't shooting other people aren't the problem, it's the ones who aren't law-abiding that are the problem, yet you would try to make it sound like taking guns away from the non-problem people is the solution to stopping the problem people. Personally, I think that most gun-banners like yourself think that that anyone who owns a gun is a problem-child, since it allows you to put them into a nice tidy little identity that lets you take the intellectually lazy way out and not have to consider that it's the actions of the people and not their liberal imposed identity that's the problem.

Sorry, I disagree.
there are millions upon millions of gun owners that obtain firearms legally & that do NOT use those legal firearms for nefarious purposes.

the few people that perform the mass shootings are an extremely small percentage of gun owners, and many of these obtain firearms illegally.

He is a proponent of Trump logic....that is, base freedoms and privilege's of a majority of a certain population on the actions of a n exceptionally small subset of that population. But Calamity can justify his version of bigotry.

what's your solution to this problem that seems to upset you so much? the last two "mass shootings" involved a man who could not legally buy a firearm in Virginia and a shooting committed in a state that has perhaps the most anti gun laws in the country.

He is a proponent of Trump logic....that is, base freedoms and privilege's of a majority of a certain population on the actions of a n exceptionally small subset of that population. But Calamity can justify his version of bigotry.

Calamity has conniptions over Trump limiting immigration from states that sponsor terrorism, saying its unfair to blame all muslims from say Syria for the actions of a few but he has no problem blaming millions of legal gun owners for the actions of a few ILLEGAL gun owners.

what's your solution to this problem that seems to upset you so much? the last two "mass shootings" involved a man who could not legally buy a firearm in Virginia and a shooting committed in a state that has perhaps the most anti gun laws in the country.

With over 12,000 gun homicides per year, it starts to become abundantly clear that American access to guns is far too easy.

Back
Top Bottom