• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2017: One Mass Shooting Per Month, Min

I don't know anyone that has been shot or stabbed so does that mean it doesn't happen? As far as "personal experience comes into play".

Oh I pay attention and if someone I know or know of was I would know. And that is a lot of knows.

Yeah, I certainly think it's odd that I know so many when most people know only one or two if any at all. But, then again, almost everyone I partied with in my twenties is now a ghost. So, Some of it must have been due to my choices, a few of which must have been pretty damned good since I am still walking and breathing.

OK enough of this. This is the gun forum and we are supposed to be at each others throats talking about "banneroids" and "gun nuts." So enough of the pleasant talks of murder and automation! I am completely disgusted by the sense of understadning and exchange of ideas! I have had it!

OK enough of this. This is the gun forum and we are supposed to be at each others throats talking about "banneroids" and "gun nuts." So enough of the pleasant talks of murder and automation! I am completely disgusted by the sense of understadning and exchange of ideas! I have had it!

Yeah, me too, but a house painting robot...

Originally Posted by calamity:
But, make no mistake, it is gun culture that is at the root of this. Americans love their guns. And, they reach for them when pissed off. And, that is happening more and more with each and every passing month.
You claim to have firearms so tell me,do you reach for them when you get pissed off?

A rational person would have just let this thread die, but...

First, as I mentioned many times, I am not against guns. I have them; I have had loaded guns in a corner of each room in the farmhouse I lived in where the nearest neighbor was 2 miles away; I know for a fact that my wife's aunt would be alive today if she was armed with one, and I also have solid reason to presume my buddy's neighbor would not have been so easily killed if she had one in her apartment. But, here's my general take.

Of the roughly 10 people I know who have been murdered, only two were stabbed or beaten to death. The rest were shot. This tracks well with our national statistics: people are killed by guns far more often than by other means. Here's another one. I know at least 5 people who were stabbed that survived. Only one died, and that was more fluke than anything else, he was unlucky enough to be stabbed in the heart. I know no one who was shot that survived.

What do all my gun killings share in common? Opportunity, an easy means to kill rather than walk away. Got a gun, killing is made easy.

The first killing happened in a hospital after a bar fight. The shooter got his ass beat and sought revenge by bringing a gun to the hospital where my buddy's brother was getting a knife wound stitched up. No gun, no way he even tries exacting revenge in a hospital, much less manages to shoot the guy dead.

The last killing was a burglary gone bad. Two mopes enter my friend's home late at night looking for money and/or prescription drugs. He's asleep. They are armed. He wakes up. One of the mopes shoots him dead as he tries dialing 911. A neighbor hears the commotion. She makes the mistake to letting her presence be known. One of the mopes chases her down, shoots her dead in her apartment after kicking in the door. No gun, no one gets killed.

lets examine how silly your argument is. if the woman who was chased down had a gun she might be alive

what I think you now know but ignore in your haste to bait gun owners is that any law that you want to pass is far more likely to make sure that victim stays disarmed rather than the criminals

I personally welcome automation.

I took 6 months pay to buy a 13" black and white TV with the definition we had in the 60's. That was what my father had to pay so we could watch TV.

For 6 months pay I can buy a 70 ultra HD smart TV, surround sound system, Xbox, video camera, digital camera, PC, lap top, smart phone, IPad, and security system. I would still have money left over to go on vacation.

Anyone against automation is out of their mind.
Automation up to a point. What happens when(not if) things come crashing down. You can pretty well kiss the above goodby along with any cash not in your pocket.

lets examine how silly your argument is. if the woman who was chased down had a gun she might be alive

what I think you now know but ignore in your haste to bait gun owners is that any law that you want to pass is far more likely to make sure that victim stays disarmed rather than the criminals

I don't want to pass a law. I've already made that clear in this thread. I'd like to enforce some of the existing laws though, maybe add a few years and increase the odds of actually catching the violators.

I don't want to pass a law. I've already made that clear in this thread. I'd like to enforce some of the existing laws though, maybe add a few years and increase the odds of actually catching the violators.

then why do you spend so much time complaining about the availability of firearms?

then why do you spend so much time complaining about the availability of firearms?

Because a lot of them end up in the wrong hands. Guns in the right hands are not a problem. We do agree on that. Correct?

Because a lot of them end up in the wrong hands. Guns in the right hands are not a problem. We do agree on that. Correct?

yes, I have said that for years. democrat party gun control schemes do nothing to decrease the gun numbers in the wrong hands but guarantee that guns in the right hands are significantly diminished

yes, I have said that for years. democrat party gun control schemes do nothing to decrease the gun numbers in the wrong hands but guarantee that guns in the right hands are significantly diminished

The trick is to find a way to get guns out of the wrong hands. That's why I like strict enforcement of laws against those who abuse their gun rights. Negligence, illegal sales, people who menace someone with their gun, etc. should be severely punished and be stripped of their gun rights.

Getting back to deterrence via strict enforcement and severe punishment. The number one result is to take violators off the street, eliminate them from the future offender equation by locking them up. But, beyond that, the jury is out. Why? Because effectiveness of severe punishment and intelligent risk assessment depends much on rational actors.

Most of us do not drink and drive anymore. Why? We've learned that getting caught is becoming more and more likely, and the price paid: several thousand dollars for an attorney, fines, classes, whatever; is just not worth the risk. But, most of us are rational actors.

Now, take an irrational actor. Again, I'll focus on those two yo-yos who killed my buddy. A rational actor who commits a burglary would evaluate what being caught for burglary means in terms of punishment verses, say, killing someone to avoid being caught. What does it mean on the punishment scale for a first offender to be caught breaking into an extended family member's home? Not much. Chances are some court would agree to a plea--if the guy even calls the cops on his sister in-law's kids to begin with if the mopes just leave when he yells, "Hey!"--which either takes the thing down to a misdemeanor or grants the offender a pass via some diversion program. "My client is addicted to drugs, your honor. He needs rehab. Blah blah blah."

A rational actor understands that the punishment for burglary is going to be minor; the punishment for murder, quite harsh. But, obviously those two young men were not rational. So, what do we do with them? Take them off the street, lock them up and throw away the key. It's imperative that we take irrational actors out of the game.

Last edited:
Good points. I want a robot that paints my house. I hate doing it and I am too cheap to farm it out. :lol:

For now you can use cheap slave labor (illegal aliens). That is what the rich do as well as most of the people who support circumventing our immigration laws and taxes.

Last edited:
Automation up to a point. What happens when(not if) things come crashing down. You can pretty well kiss the above goodby along with any cash not in your pocket.

Automation has clearly allowed more people to afford more things than ever before. I will never go back to using a hand saw for cutting 2x4's instead of my battery powered circular saw. I drove thousands of slotted screws by hand building cabinets as a teenager. What took me several hours after school would take me only a few minutes today with an impact driver. Bring on the automation.

Automation has clearly allowed more people to afford more things than ever before. I will never go back to using a hand saw for cutting 2x4's instead of my battery powered circular saw. I drove thousands of slotted screws by hand building cabinets as a teenager. What took me several hours after school would take me only a few minutes today with an impact driver. Bring on the automation.
Oh. Battery power is fine as long as the batteries can be charged. I agree with the screws and 2x4s.

Oh. Battery power is fine as long as the batteries can be charged. I agree with the screws and 2x4s.

I was looking at a battery powered chain saw for trimming those small branches when I cut up a tree for firewood. I am getting too old to wield that 24" Stihl chain saw for hours on end. I can't wait to see what is next in automation. All these battery tools are so nice. I have gone crazy buying new tools. The other day I counted all my drills and I had 37. That is if I found them all. I quit smoking, drinking, drugs, and gambling so the only thing left to do is buy tools.

All these psychos out there killing people and I spend my time trying to keep track of all my tools.

Maybe these psychos need a hobby.:thumbs::thumbs:

=PIPEWRENCH;1067330786]I quit smoking, drinking, drugs, and gambling so the only thing left to do is buy tools.
Makes PIPEWRENCH a dull boy.:lamo No pun intended on the dull.:lol:

Maybe these psychos need a hobby.:thumbs::thumbs:
Sounds like a plan.

Yea it's a nightmare. You asked why we will not admit to a "gun violence problem?" That is your answer. It's just a violence problem and guns are just part of it. It stems from one place... Highly populated gang infested inner city slums. If we could clean that up? The crime rate in general would drop to levels you see in most Western nations with severe gun laws. Our "gun culture" is not the problem... It's "gang culture."

Will this stop all gun crime? Of course not. Mental health and many other issues drive gun crime. We however have an obligation to protect our rights while addressing the real problem in our inner cities.

Last edited by Black Dog; 06-18-17 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Grammer!
Sorry BD, I had to reply to this post. It gave me a good laugh after all the "eye rolls" reading through this thread.

Sorry BD, I had to reply to this post. It gave me a good laugh after all the "eye rolls" reading through this thread.

OK. So why do you find it funny? Because it was edited for grammar? That makes no sense to me.

OK. So why do you find it funny? Because it was edited for grammar? That makes no sense to me.

for the quote I added. The "reason" for the edit (Grammer) was also in error. :)

This explains better than I would have (note I'm not 'criticizing' just enjoyed the brief moment) :

"Summary

Is it grammar or grammer? If you misuse Grammer, you leave yourself open to criticism and weaken your writing. It’s important to get this distinction right the first time.

Grammar is a set of rules about the structure of language.
Grammer is a proper noun that refers to a particular American community, or the name of a person."

for the quote I added. The "reason" for the edit (Grammer) was also in error. :)

This explains better than I would have (note I'm not 'criticizing' just enjoyed the brief moment) :

"Summary

Is it grammar or grammer? If you misuse Grammer, you leave yourself open to criticism and weaken your writing. It’s important to get this distinction right the first time.

Grammar is a set of rules about the structure of language.
Grammer is a proper noun that refers to a particular American community, or the name of a person."

Oh, yea I see. Hey not my fault the spell checker got it wrong, lol.

Makes PIPEWRENCH a dull boy.:lamo No pun intended on the dull.:lol:

I first started with pot as a minor. I started smoking cigarettes to cover up the pot smell. Back then smoking was OK. I quit pot when I went in the army an became an MP. I then started drinking. Quitting drinking was a lot harder than pot. But even the drinking was easy compared to quitting smoking. Quitting smoking was the toughest challenge in my life. One of my greatest fears is I will start smoking again even after 12 years now.

I still do lots of fun things but no more lamp shades on my head. When I was drinking is when I did most of the really stupid things in my life.

Back
Top Bottom