• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2017: One Mass Shooting Per Month, Min

We are a deeply violent culture, and violence in public life is simply endemic to the US.

If find this statement to be most accurate, but I'm not really sure what, in practical terms, we can do about it:

"The widespread presence of guns dramatically magnifies the lethality of the range of mental illness, political dispute, personal vendetta and untethered anger that is more or less universal in modern societies and frankly the human condition. Certainly this would all be different if firearms were not so widespread in the United States, easy to acquire and so deeply imbedded in American culture."

Guns and Political Killing – Talking Points Memo

the guy who wrote that blog (his credentials are not listed) has no answers. They want you to adopt gun bans as a solution but he seems unwilling to suggest any solutions. Saying "there is more violence in America because guns are prevalent" is a cop out. Its a cop out because he doesn't suggest any valid solutions. and given that the people with the HIGHEST per capita rate of gun ownership, have the LOWEST rate of gun violence in the USA, solutions are not particularly obvious

Calamity has conniptions over Trump limiting immigration from states that sponsor terrorism, saying its unfair to blame all muslims from say Syria for the actions of a few but he has no problem blaming millions of legal gun owners for the actions of a few ILLEGAL gun owners.

If Muslims from, say, Syria started killing 12,000 Americans per year, I am sure you and the other gun rights folks would be at the border volunteering to spread mortar on the concrete wall you would have approved be put up all around the perimeter of the entire country. Funny how the 12,000 deaths is so relative.

With over 12,000 gun homicides per year, it starts to become abundantly clear that American access to guns is far too easy.

that's a cowardly cop out line because you merely want to whine about gun ownership and you have never ever been able to come up with a rational way to solve what you think is a huge problem even though 80% of those deaths or so are caused by people who cannot legally own guns and about the same number of those slain are also people with records or engaged in illegal behavior.

so tell us Calamity, rather than whining about gun ownership in an attempt to smear lawful gun owners (apparently due to you being upset that so many of us voted for Trump) do you have any rational solutions? crap-and I repeat crap-like expanded background checks are worthless

If Muslims from, say, Syria started killing 12,000 Americans per year, I am sure you and the other gun rights folks would be at the border volunteering to spread mortar on the concrete wall you would have approved be put up all around the entire country. Funny how the 12,000 deaths is so relative.

its already a federal felony on top of LWOP or the death penalty, for a felon to use a firearm to murder someone in the USA. are we applying such consequences to immigrants?

that's a cowardly cop out line because you merely want to whine about gun ownership and you have never ever been able to come up with a rational way to solve what you think is a huge problem even though 80% of those deaths or so are caused by people who cannot legally own guns and about the same number of those slain are also people with records or engaged in illegal behavior.

so tell us Calamity, rather than whining about gun ownership in an attempt to smear lawful gun owners (apparently due to you being upset that so many of us voted for Trump) do you have any rational solutions? crap-and I repeat crap-like expanded background checks are worthless

I bring up 12,000 deaths; you bring up whine. Obviously this conversation is not going to lead anywhere.

its already a federal felony on top of LWOP or the death penalty, for a felon to use a firearm to murder someone in the USA. are we applying such consequences to immigrants?

Why wouldn't we be?

Will the insanity ever end? Probably not. It will only increase. Gun Rights Lobby is too strong. Giving an inch will never happen. Bodies will only pile up.

Even under the narrowest definition, there's been at least 1 mass shooting every month this year - CNN.com

But, make no mistake, it is gun culture that is at the root of this. Americans love their guns. And, they reach for them when pissed off. And, that is happening more and more with each and every passing month.

Nope: the gun lobby, and the NRA and the right-wing goons are in charge now, so hate is the message and crazy is the continuing response.

It's a Trump world.

I bring up 12,000 deaths; you bring up whine. Obviously this conversation is not going to lead anywhere.

So propose some reasonable solutions rather than inane memes.

you start threads about gun deaths and I say what is your purpose for doing so other than to try to attack people who voted for Trump because they own guns.

Nope: the gun lobby, and the NRA and the right-wing goons are in charge now, so hate is the message and crazy is the continuing response.

It's a Trump world.

ah another post showing that the BM members really don't care about criminals but are mad about politics and the fact that the NRA and gun owners supported Trump more than Hillary

Why wouldn't we be?

you don't get it do you. what additional laws are going to deter felons from using guns to commit crimes?

you don't get it do you. what additional laws are going to deter felons from using guns to commit crimes?

You don't get it. Do you? America has a gun problem. Specifically, a violence by gun problem.

you start threads about gun deaths and I say what is your purpose for doing so other than to try to attack people who voted for Trump because they own guns.

A good first step would be for you to admit that yes, America has a gun problem.

A good first step would be for you to admit that yes, America has a gun problem.

We have a problem with certain people having guns. The other 99.99% of folks that have guns are not a problem. That reasonable/accurate?

Will the insanity ever end? Probably not. It will only increase. Gun Rights Lobby is too strong. Giving an inch will never happen. Bodies will only pile up.

Even under the narrowest definition, there's been at least 1 mass shooting every month this year - CNN.com

But, make no mistake, it is gun culture that is at the root of this. Americans love their guns. And, they reach for them when pissed off. And, that is happening more and more with each and every passing month.

Of course, on the flip side if you ever did implement any sort of strict gun control you'd probably having routine mass shootings and
terrorist attacks as people "fought" against the "oppressors".

Mental illness is far more of a problem than guns.

Look at the make up of all the shooters in mass killings, they are all similar.

nope, we have a criminal problem. You apparently have a problem with freedom

You don't get it. Do you? America has a gun problem. Specifically, a violence by gun problem.

we get it- you like to bait gun owners but you don't have any valid solutions but then again finding a solution to this problem that you pretend upsets you, has never been your goal.

Agreed, and easy access to plenty of guns makes going off all that much easier. Like I said above, 68 year old fat dude is not going to go out beating people to death. But, hand him an AR 15, and death comes in bunches from just putting a few ounces of pressure on a trigger.
"68 year old fat dude"so what does a "68 year old fat dude" do when a person 20-30 or so years younger come after him/her? I know hope they can beat them to death assuming there's only one.Hand him an AR-15 and he defends himself.

Have you forgotten about the Wild, Wild, West? Guns don't kill, people do...until the attitudes of people change, yes the violence will continue...

With over 12,000 gun homicides per year, it starts to become abundantly clear that American access to guns is far too easy.
And you really believe that all these 12000 gun homicides Homicide refers to one human killing another. Homicides can be divided into many overlapping legal categories, including murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide,
and yes justifiable police shootings.https://fee.org/articles/how-many-people-are-killed-by-police/ not meaning police just shoot people ,but in the line of duty. The word homicide paints with a very wide brush.

No you said "homicides"and I said that is a very wide paint brush.So put it in context of what you mean by 12,000. In other words how were they caused under what circumstance and no just shot by a gun is not an answer. If I shoot someone in my house at 0: dark thirty it's considered a homicide but justifiable.

In OR. we have had some insane gun laws passed now they are out for more insane laws and it's not the people that pass them.And all the laws in the world won't deter crime it well still happen.
TD the anti gunners don't get it nor do they care to even try.

False

THUMB.jpg

The shootings really peaked while Obama was president.

Of course it was all Bush's fault.:lamo

So propose some reasonable solutions rather than inane memes.
You see we know there is no reasonable solution since any self respecting criminals won't obey them.However us law abiding citizens will, until it's time for another set of reasonable solutions.
So actually I don't think calamity can provide any other than confiscation.

Back
Top Bottom