• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mother accidentally shoots and kill teenage daughter

So again her mistake was to not keep the gun in a proper holster. <Snipped>
Her mistake was not being a qualified gun owner, even if she was a legal gun owner.

Perhaps, with some of the Go Fund Me money being collected for her, she can afford to buy that "proper gun holster", for everyone's safety!

Negligence requires that someone ignored an obvious risk or acted with disregard for the safety of others.
If you're the DA, do you think you can prove either?

Yes.

Because if the gun had been properly holstered in the purse, the trigger would have been blocked.

CCW training makes clear that you do not put a firearm in a purse, backpack, or bag out of a holster for this very reason. This mother is going to have to live with this the rest of her life, I have sympathy. But it is a case of negligence.

Would mandatory training help mitigate the frequency of these types of accidents?

The frequency is minute to non-existent.

But I think firearm training should be part of high school curriculum. Teach all how to shoot and how to properly handle a gun.

We could have a gun measuring contest if you like.

Would that be based on accuracy? Can I use my Thompson Center? At 100 yards with iron sights it has impeccable accuracy.

@Boots all right, there's enough room to interpret what I said there as most gun owners being irresponsible. So let me answer your request to back it up.

Is it irresponsible for someone to buy a gun without having had or planning to go through firearm safety training?

Does American popular culture glorify guns and gun violence?

Are there a significant number of gun rights advocates who, based on the 2A, believe their ability to purchase, own, modify, or otherwise acquire firearms should not be infringed in any way?
I don't see that as an answer, other than perhaps you are saying that you didn't mean to imply that most gun owners are irresponsible. Instead, that some are. Would that be a fair statement of your position?

It was no accident that she has a loaded gun in her purse.

Nothing wrong with having a loaded gun in her purse. What was wrong is that gun wasn't holstered and secured.

Nothing wrong with having a car in your driveway unattended. But if the car is running and in drive, then it is negligence.

Some people are pathetic, dancing on the body of a teen in the lust to crush individual liberty.
Do you know what is highly unlikely to happen in most other civilized western nations?
A child being shot to death in a classroom or by a reckless family member who carelessly has a gun in their purse.
Those things happen only in the USA, a nation with an addiction to firearms.
Guess what I don't worry about when I visit my daughter who lives in South Eastern England?
I don't worry about her or I getting shot in a bowling alley, Country music event or eating at a fast food place.

Do you know what is highly unlikely to happen in most other civilized western nations?
A child being shot to death in a classroom or by a reckless family member who carelessly has a gun in their purse.
Those things happen only in the USA. A nation with an addiction to firearms.
Guess what I don't worry about when I visit my daughter who lives in South Eastern England?
I don't worry about her or I getting shot in a bowling alley, Country music event or eating at a fast food place.

Why do you hate freedom?

Crap like this is what's going to bring down 'infringements', more than mass shootings or school shootings.
Sam and Janet Devening and their cul-de-sac neighbours don't really believe that mass shootings happen in the places they go but random rage addicts having a rolling gunfight at highway speed worries them. Mothers accidentally shooting a gun in their purse at the mall worries them. They don't think there's the kind of psycho students in their children's school that brings an AR and bag of magazines to kill as many as possible but when a six-year-old brings a pistol and shoots his teacher, that worries them. When a dumbass lays a rifle on the back seat with one in the chamber and his dog fires it by stepping on it, killing the guy in the passenger seat, that worries them.
Sam and Janet don't worry about mass shooters, they worry about dumbasses with guns and rage addicts with guns. And when Sam and Janet and their cul-de-sac neighbours get worried, phone calls get made.

You "claim" to be Canadian.

Guns are illegal for subjects in Canada. You have nothing to worry about. Americans will tend to our own laws and civil rights. Canadians can tend to their laws - you don't have civil rights, but if you did you could tend to them as well.

~500 people per year die from accidents involving firearms.
So... unlikely.

Or to put it another way, far more people die from accidents involving bathtubs - shall we require mandatory training for anyone who wants to take a shower?

The freedom to die by gun in the greatest nation on earth.

I thought the freedom to dance on the bodies of those who die in tragedies to push a political agenda was the greatest on earth?

Or is it the "sleaziest on earth?"

It's a blessing.
I wouldn't want to get shot and killed in some shithole like Denmark or New Zealand.

I'm sure those in Denmark who are knifed to death in the latest Jihad incident are thankful they weren't shot... Inanimate Objects make all the difference.

Or to put it another way, far more people die from accidents involving bathtubs - shall we require mandatory training for anyone who wants to take a shower?

They (hopefully) see some benefit in personal hygiene. So no, they wouldn't want to unduly interfere with something they feel a personal investment in.

Perhaps - if all those deaths in the tub were caused by someone other than the bathers themselves.
But they’re not.

I thought the freedom to dance on the bodies of those who die in tragedies to push a political agenda was the greatest on earth?

Or is it the "sleaziest on earth?"

I'm sure those in Denmark who are knifed to death in the latest Jihad incident are thankful they weren't shot... Inanimate Objects make all the difference.
There’s really no number of false equivalencies that will buttress your argument, no matter how high you stack them.
Guns have no equivalents.

Perhaps - if all those deaths in the tub were caused by someone other than the bathers themselves.
But they’re not.

The context was accidental deaths.

There’s really no number of false equivalencies that will buttress your argument, no matter how high you stack them.
Guns have no equivalents.

That's how the special pleading fallacy works.

Back
Top Bottom