• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mother accidentally shoots and kill teenage daughter

DrewPaul

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

My heart goes out to the mother because I'm positive it was an accident. However, charges should be brought because it was gross negligence with a lethal weapon.
Negligence requires that someone ignored an obvious risk or acted with disregard for the safety of others.
If you're the DA, do you think you can prove either?

Would mandatory training help mitigate the frequency of these types of accidents?
As a typical year sees around 500 accidental firearms deaths - unlikely.
It -would- violate the constitution, however.

Negligence requires that someone ignored an obvious risk or acted with disregard for the safety of others.
Granted, it wouldn’t be easy, but if you manage to discharge a firearm while rummaging through your purse for keys then the safety was off and that’s negligent.

All firearms being carried should be in a holster that prevents the trigger from being accidentally actuated. A pocket holster velcroed to the inside of her purse would have prevented the tragedy. Now, she will have to live with the knowledge that she killed her daughter.

It depends on all the facts of the case. If it was loose in her pocketbook, with a round in the chamber and the safety off I would argue its negligence. I think the point here is the message. The right to own a gun doesn't absolve one of the responsibility. The DA could offer a plea deal for a year probation and 200 hours community service. If I were the mom that would be the least of my concerns.

How does firearm safety training infringe on the right to own a firearm?
USSC, in Bruen:

When the Second Amendment’s plain text covers an individual’s conduct, the Constitution presumptively protects that conduct.
To justify its regulation, the government may not simply posit that the regulation promotes an important interest. Rather, the government must demonstrate that the regulation is consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation. Only if a firearm regulation is consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition may a court conclude that the individual’s conduct falls outside the Second Amendment’s “unqualified command.”

Can you demonstrate the legal requirement to go though training to own a firearm "is consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation"?
That is, can you show such a requirement exist on the late 18th century?

USSC, in Bruen:

When the Second Amendment’s plain text covers an individual’s conduct, the Constitution presumptively protects that conduct.
To justify its regulation, the government may not simply posit that the regulation promotes an important interest. Rather, the government must demonstrate that the regulation is consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation. Only if a firearm regulation is consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition may a court conclude that the individual’s conduct falls outside the Second Amendment’s “unqualified command.”

Can you demonstrate the legal requirement to go though training to own a firearm "is consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation"?
That is, can you show such a requirement exist on the late 18th century?
That's not what I asked you.

Does firearm safety instruction infringe on the 2A?

At least the child was shot and killed in the greatest country on earth that has the most sacred document in history, "The 2A" and not killed in some shithole like Somalia or Iceland.
This is America after all. If your loved ones are killed with a firearm, You can be proud that they died in the USA.

That's not what I asked you
You said "mandatory training"- a legal requirement necessary to own a firearm.
Yes - such a requirement violates the 2nd.

At least the child was shot and killed in the greatest country on earth that has the most sacred document in history, "The 2A" and not killed in some shithole like Somalia or Iceland.
This is America after all. If your loved ones are killed with a firearm, You can be proud that they died in the USA.
:rolleyes:

It depends on all the facts of the case.
And you do not know the facts of the case - thus you cannot make the determination that charges "should" be brought.
They COULD be brought, which is not the same thing.

And you do not know the facts of the case - thus you cannot make the determination that charges "should" be brought.
They COULD be brought, which is not the same thing.
I can offer an opinion if its okay with you.

Back
Top Bottom