• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mother accidentally shoots and kill teenage daughter

I thought the freedom to dance on the bodies of those who die in tragedies to push a political agenda was the greatest on earth?

Or is it the "sleaziest on earth?"

I'm sure those in Denmark who are knifed to death in the latest Jihad incident are thankful they weren't shot... Inanimate Objects make all the difference.
This is America, the greatest nation on earth.
Guns = freedom
the more guns = more freedom.
If you get shot in America, you're getting shot in the greatest most free nation on earth.
It's a blessing.

Perhaps - if all those deaths in the tub were caused by someone other than the bathers themselves.
But they’re not.

How do you know this? Did a child leave a toy on the tub floor that the victim slipped on? Did the wife drop the soap and not pick it up causing her husband to have a fatal fall?

The Anti-liberty advocates use absurdity as the basis to infringe on the civil rights of others - I'm just pointing out the stupidity of it all.

How do you know this? Did a child leave a toy on the tub floor that the victim slipped on? Did the wife drop the soap and not pick it up causing her husband to have a fatal fall?

The Anti-liberty advocates use absurdity as the basis to infringe on the civil rights of others - I'm just pointing out the stupidity of it all.
I’m embarrassed for you.

There’s really no number of false equivalencies that will buttress your argument, no matter how high you stack them.
Guns have no equivalents.

What is "false" about turning the claim of an opponent of civil rights back on them?

How is it valid to speak of being shot - yet somehow not valid to speak of being stabbed?

This goes beyond the typical hypocrisy of those who seek to end individual liberty and into complete absurdity.

This is America, the greatest nation on earth.
Guns = freedom
the more guns = more freedom.
If you get shot in America, you're getting shot in the greatest most free nation on earth.
It's a blessing.

The clown show fails to impress, as does the ghoulish dance on the bodies of innocents in an attempt to end civil rights.

What is "false" about turning the claim of an opponent of civil rights back on them?

How is it valid to speak of being shot - yet somehow not valid to speak of being stabbed?

This goes beyond the typical hypocrisy of those who seek to end individual liberty and into complete absurdity.
??? I’m not seeking to end any individual liberty. I’m seeking to end bullshit false equivalencies that are constantly proffered in defense of gun fatalities.

How did you not get that? And what else don’t you get?

I think that is provable. The gun seems to have not been in a proper holster.

If I carried a SIG P320 I'd carry it in condition 3. Too many cases of the guns firing on their own.

Of course, I would not carry a SIG P320.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who are Sam and Janet Devening??
Say it out loud.
Random names as a stand-in for generic voters??
Yep
It doesn't matter what they think. They don't matter.
Not to you, maybe, but there's millions of them and they matter to the Congresscritters.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonsense. All you need to do is practice proper gun safety.

Thus the reason why police officers carry guns.

Do you know what is highly unlikely to happen in most other civilized western nations?
A child being shot to death in a classroom or by a reckless family member who carelessly has a gun in their purse.
Those things happen only in the USA, a nation with an addiction to firearms.
Guess what I don't worry about when I visit my daughter who lives in South Eastern England?
I don't worry about her or I getting shot in a bowling alley, Country music event or eating at a fast food place.
Do you ever worry that Germany will carpet bomb her?

??? I’m not seeking to end any individual liberty. I’m seeking to end bullshit false equivalencies that are constantly proffered in defense of gun fatalities.

How did you not get that? And what else don’t you get?
You just aren't able to explain why they are supposedly false.

And "defense of gun fatalities" is something you manufactured.

You "claim" to be Canadian.

Guns are illegal for subjects in Canada. You have nothing to worry about. Americans will tend to our own laws and civil rights. Canadians can tend to their laws - you don't have civil rights, but if you did you could tend to them as well.
What a stupid post.
There's a particularly low-functioning element of the American right that automatically reverts to juvenile schoolyard insults when they read something they don't like but they don't have the words to argue with.
They always bring up my nationality too, when they're stumped.

The clown show fails to impress, as does the ghoulish dance on the bodies of innocents in an attempt to end civil rights.
You equate freedom with owning a gun.
That's a false sense of security, not freedom.
Freedom is not being indebted to a bank, owing no one.
Freedom is being able to travel whenever and wherever you choose.
That's what freedom is.

Would mandatory training help mitigate the frequency of these types of accidents?
I took a firearm class as a requirement for a concealed carry permit. After the class things kind of went on a back burner and I waited to long and had to take the class a second time.
The instructor for both of my classes was first rate. Very focused on the task at hand and gave good instructions.
However, if the class had been a pass/fail type there would have been a few that I would not have signed off on in both of the classes.

We had instruction then range time. While five students would go on the indoor range the rest of the class would stay in the classroom and visit.
We were told repeatedly to NOT handle our weapons while the in the classroom. However several of the students did. I looked up one time to see a student examining his gun with the barrel pointed at my chest.

On the range was even worse. Students were frequently turning around and point the muzzle at others while clearing jams and what not.
One student did would turn and look at the instructor about every other round, swinging the gun across the line of students. Every time she did this the instructor would point out the student error but they never corrected themselves.

Most of my guns have a dedicated safety on them, not the trigger mount. The semi-auto guns all have a blocking system that when the safety is on, a cover is over the firing pin.
To me, if you are going to carry you firearm in a non-dedicated environment, it should have a dedicated safety with the block over the firing pin.

IMHO a one time class doesn't help much with a certain percentage of people, for CCP I think a pass/fail class should be mandatory and retesting with your carry weapon every 3 years.
But that's just me. A guy that has been shot at a couple of times by experienced people while hunting and target shooting.

You equate freedom with owning a gun.
That's a false sense of security, not freedom.
Freedom is not being indebted to a bank, owing no one.
Freedom is being able to travel whenever and wherever you choose.
That's what freedom is.

I choose to travel with a gun.

I don't see that as an answer, other than perhaps you are saying that you didn't mean to imply that most gun owners are irresponsible. Instead, that some are. Would that be a fair statement of your position?
I would say that it's irresponsible for anyone to buy a firearm and either a) not had safety training in the past, or b) not sign up for it before or immediately after purchase.

The study I cited from the University of Washington gave different statistics:

- only about three in five US firearm owners have received formal gun training.

- those who report getting a gun for personal protection were less likely to seek out training than those who use guns for hunting & sport.

- 4 out of 10 of those personal protection owners received no formal training.

So is 40% a majority? No. But it is significant.

I would say that it's irresponsible for anyone to buy a firearm and either a) not had safety training in the past, or b) not sign up for it before or immediately after purchase.

- those who report getting a gun for personal protection were less likely to seek out training than those who use guns for hunting & sport.

Plenty of people know how to safely own and operate guns without formal training.

As evidenced by the number of legal gun owners compared to the number of accidental fatalities.

Of those 40%, how many have killed someone due to negligence in handling the gun? Isn't that really the issue?

Growing up lots of kids I knew had guns (rifles, shotguns, to be precise). I didn't know any of them to have formal training. I don't know that any of them accidentally killed someone. And that's really what this thread is about, no?

Guns can be carried in checked luggage.
Good luck with that.
You need a special license to bring firearms into the UK and likely all other nations.
If you're caught, You'll get decade in prison.

So?
Last I checked the gun in question had not been identified as being a Glock.
Still, had her weapon not had a chambered round, a lack of a safety would not have been an issue.
Could have been an M&P .40. Also striker fired with a trigger safety.

Good luck with that.
You need a special license to bring firearms into the UK and likely all other nations.
If you're caught, You'll get decade in prison.

You're saying it isn't impossible.

Is there some point to this trivia?

Back
Top Bottom