• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mother accidentally shoots and kill teenage daughter

Would mandatory training help mitigate the frequency of these types of accidents?
Somewhat. Women are usually smarter about gun safety than men so its shocking she was so careless. I question if training would have mattered in her case.

Negligence requires that someone ignored an obvious risk or acted with disregard for the safety of others.
If you're the DA, do you think you can prove either?
Yes.

She was carrying the gun loose in her purse with a round chambered, no safety,

Negligence

All firearms being carried should be in a holster that prevents the trigger from being accidentally actuated. A pocket holster velcroed to the inside of her purse would have prevented the tragedy. Now, she will have to live with the knowledge that she killed her daughter.

If we are going to be all educational, it has to: 1) completely cover the trigger; 2) be hard enough (plastic or heavy hardened leather) such that the trigger cannot be squeezed or moved while in the holster; 3) cats are evil.

Somewhat. Women are usually smarter about gun safety than men so its shocking she was so careless. I question if training would have mattered in her case.
"I don't take responsibility at all" is the new American mantra. For some gun owners, that will include not knowing if the gun in your purse is loaded or not, or gifting your mentally disturbed child a firearm.

Is there published data on this? I'm asking because I don't know.

On the one hand, far fewer women own guns than men - but on the other hand, far more men have had serious firearms training because of military service ... so, ... ??

Oh look...another kid dead because of a gun.

Just another day in America.

Thoughts and prayers, right?

It's not a broad brush, just math. Of every American that purchases a gun, what percentage do you think go through safety training? In one study 61% of gun owners reported that they had; I'm guessing the actual number is closer to half.

why don't you go through the math of what percentage of Americans that legally purchase a gun have had fatal accidents with respect to them?

It is a clinical term.

She deserves a clinical call out for what she did.

Would idiot be better?

Would fool be better?

Would moron be better?
No it is not.

Is there published data on this? I'm asking because I don't know.

On the one hand, far fewer women own guns than men - but on the other hand, far more men have had serious firearms training because of military service ... so, ... ??
Exactly. Most women (who are new gun owners) will freely admit they've never handled a gun before, don't know how to load it, shoot it or safe keep it. They fully intend to go to classes most gun shops offer. I'm not talking about women brought up with guns in the household or who were in the service.

No published data just my opinion.

why don't you go through the math of what percentage of Americans that legally purchase a gun have had fatal accidents with respect to them?

1711573005332.png

How many lives would need to be saved as a result of mandatory firearm safety training before it felt less infringe-y?

I wouldn't charge her at all. She'll be punished, in her own head for eternity
I agree.
I cannot imagine how any mother would ever get over accidentally killing their own child.

How many lives would need to be saved as a result of mandatory firearm safety training before it felt less infringe-y?
You can argue that point with someone that is making it. That is not me. Don't change the goalposts now. I'm just asking you to back up your assertion that the majority of gunowners are irresponsible.

You can argue that point with someone that is making it. That is not me. Don't change the goalposts now. I'm just asking you to back up your assertion that the majority of gunowners are irresponsible.
Cite where I said this.

Cite where I said this.

Cite where I said this.
Your attitude is commendable but not, I suspect, reflective of most gun owners. The rhetoric built up around the 2A, and Americans' general obsession with guns makes most of us think buying a firearm should be no more difficult than buying a candy bar, and with less sense of responsibility.

After all, if you're not responsible a candy bar will melt in your purse and ruin everything in it. ;)

@Boots all right, there's enough room to interpret what I said there as most gun owners being irresponsible. So let me answer your request to back it up.

Is it irresponsible for someone to buy a gun without having had or planning to go through firearm safety training?

Does American popular culture glorify guns and gun violence?

Are there a significant number of gun rights advocates who, based on the 2A, believe their ability to purchase, own, modify, or otherwise acquire firearms should not be infringed in any way?

I don't think a 1 or 2 hour class is infringing too much.

I agree.
I cannot imagine how any mother would ever get over accidentally killing their own child.
For some people, being punished in some manner actually provides a catharsis. You recall the female officer who accidentally killed a black man in a road stop. No question in my mind she thought she was shooting her taser. But you could see the relief in her face when she was sentenced five years.

I was thinking no jail time, a year probation and 200 hours community service which she should happily comply with.

I don't think a 1 or 2 hour class is infringing too much.
It would certainly be the responsible thing to do. And who knows - it might just help mitigate the risk of killing oneself or a loved one.

I haven't checked yet. There have been no mothers accidentally gun down their kids in Japan today.

Or this year.

And I still haven't checked.

Back
Top Bottom