• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the GOP Commiting Political Suicide?[W:11]

Re: Is the GOP Commiting Political Suicide?

Blacks, Latinos, Gays, Muslims, Atheists...the GOP has pushed almost all of them away already. Add to that the gender gap and the youth gap, and it's become quite apparent that the only people the GOP cares about are Christian White men over the age of 40. It shows and the results will be devastating in the years to come.

Doesn't the GOP control the House and the Senate, as well as the majority of governor seats around the country?

How does that add up to "devastating results?"

I think this thread amounts to nothing more than masturbation on the democrat side. You guys have your own problems to worry about - your frontrunner being under federal investigation for one - I suggest you spend your efforts worrying about that

Doesn't the GOP control the House and the Senate, as well as the majority of governor seats around the country?

How does that add up to "devastating results?"

I think this thread amounts to nothing more than masturbation on the democrat side. You guys have your own problems to worry about - your frontrunner being under federal investigation for one - I suggest you spend your efforts worrying about that
not my thread

This all depends on what you mean by "more people" and "issues beyond what it is familiar with"?
Some GOP issues that are widely considered a "dead horse" are not even mentioned this go around. You don't really here any of the Republican candidates talk about abortion. You don't even really hear them mention prayer in schools which is still a major issue of "religious freedom" on both sides of the belief systems.
I think this is part of the problem inherent in American politics and with our people in general.
Our "political platforms" (and I really use the word loosely in this day and age) consists of whatever the news has reported on or the soon to be former president has "made a stand on" or "screwed up on" depending on the party making the talking point.
The core GOP values are not really the core GOP values anymore. In some ways, I think this actually shows its desperation to reach out to more people. Unfortunately, I think it is doing so in the completely wrong fashion. I see Trump as an entertainer, a celebrity, a walking talking point for the GOP and if the strategy is to get the reality show public into their pocket then it is probably working. Unfortunately, I don't think any of these things should be important to running the country.

Welcome. I'm usually interested in seeing our country from the eyes of the outside world.
One thing you said, very true but still daunting for me, is "spectator sport". The running of our country has really become a football game that happens every four years. I usually picture people sitting around the TV watching debates with elephants and donkeys painted on their faces.

One more reason I want to abolish party politics altogether and vote on individuals. But that would require voting to be "too much like work".
Direct democracy would be even more like work. We like paying others to make the really important decisions for us.

There are things in here I did not know. At one time I had respect for the Tea Party "movement" until it became apparent it was going to be a puppet for the Republican party (by your account, it always was though. Interesting).

Interesting points Ntharorep.

Yes it would be interesting if there were no political parties. But every democracy has them - they seem to form like spontaneously. Abolish them by force and pretty soon the 'no party state' has morphed into a 'one party state. Politicians are another necessary evil; I cannot see how democracy could function without them.

Most of the racists who were in the Democratic Party left it and joined the GOP after the 1964 Civil Rights Act became law.

Not really. They stayed with the Demos and helped Carter, Clinton and others win Democratic state nominations and governorships. Then most died. The new generation of whites in the south are vast majority Republicans just as the vast majority of the Blacks are Democrat.

Hi All

I've been following American politics for about 10 years now and I have gradually been watching them become less welcoming towards Black/Hispanic and other minorities.

It's obvious at this point that they are mostly aiming for the support of just one (and still very large) demographic, which is the white/white male vote.

Fortunately for them, some minorities are so small they don't have to worry if they never vote of them, but what about the black and Hispanic vote?

I believe that soon the GOP will no longer be able to afford to continue to ignore these demographics, and if they do, they will cease to be a party which can compete in General Elections, and as cycles go by less significant (by percentage who vote) elections.

This is because as other demographics are growing at a faster rates, the White share of the vote is decreasing. As a result, by 2050 the White population will no longer be the majority of the US.

How can the party continue with their current sentiments towards blacks (currently 14% of pop) and Hispanics (17% of pop) when combined they'll make a greater share of the population?

Are they committing political suicide by continuing in this direction?

I've made a video which in part address this, you can find here

As usual, I'd like to here your thought.

DDAdvocator

short answer... no

long answer.... nope.

Everything seems to be working out perfectly for the long term success of the Republican Party. If nothing changes - and Trump is their nominee - he will be the human enema that purges the Republican Party of tea party idiots and right libertarians that have attempted to hijack the party over the last several years. The inglorious electoral defeat of Trump will make Barry Goldwater in 64 look like the Miami Dolphin team that won the Super Bowl and 17 straight. It will be that bad for the Republicans.

They then will have no choice but to flush the toilet after than enema and rebuild to save the party. And if they return to the center and a bit right of center as they were under Eisenhower and Nixon and even Reagan by comparison with todays right wing - they will be back on the road to success.

It's funny that democrats/liberals seem to be most concerned with the GOP supposed demise

I don't think the gop is on its way out. It's more like being disgusted with their performance.

Doesn't sound undemocratic at all, in fact, just the opposite. In fact the US House and state legislatures are the most democratic parts of our system. They rely on the will of the people expressed through voting.

As the Hispanic block grows, and after the illegal issue is addressed one way or the other, I predict we'll see Hispanics flock to the republican side. It's a nasty truth, but whites have nothing on Hispanics where it comes to cultural racism. Hell, in Mexico they still find great humor in cartoons and even stamps depicting black face. Take a look around their television dial and it's crowded with lighter skin tones.

The "hispanic" vote is largely governed right now by one issue - amnesty. That won't be forever.

... how would you explain their epic low approval ratings and the studies showing how government action has little to no correlation to voter sentiment? I get that the house and senate are the most democratic bodies but that's simply an bigger indictment of the system as a whole

Given that more than half of Governors are Republican, and the GOP controls both houses of Congress and holds overall majorities in both State Chambers, it doesn't appear that the current GOP platform is unpopular. However, it is clear that trends point towards difficulty in upcoming Presidential elections.

Adopting positions with which you disagree simply to gain votes is not a viable election strategy. Most of the groups you mention would not vote for a watered-down GOP, and current core GOP constituents would certainly not either.

The GOP has already largely acquiesced on issues of importance to its base, like immigration, and as a result a vacuum was created into which Trump has surged. Further acquiescing and flip-flopping would do the Party more harm than good, in both Presidential elections and on a local level.

As I've said in previous comment. The GOP gain ground on after 08 for two reasons.

1. Democratic voters have low voter turn out in none Prez elections

2. Their disappointment with obama

And as another user said, the GOP were stunned that they lost in 2012 because they don't heed the factors like the above.

If Sanders gets the DNC nominations, the GOP will get destroyed.

If Clinton...and she goes full obama 08 mode, the GOP will lose.

However, if the GOP supported policies, or at least seemed like they cared about, minorities. They would have stood a much better chance.

Luckily for Republicans tho even if they continue as they are, low voter turn out will keep them winning minor races.

As I've said in previous comment. The GOP gain ground on after 08 for two reasons.

1. Democratic voters have low voter turn out in none Prez elections

2. Their disappointment with obama

And as another user said, the GOP were stunned that they lost in 2012 because they don't heed the factors like the above.

If Sanders gets the DNC nominations, the GOP will get destroyed.

If Clinton...and she goes full obama 08 mode, the GOP will lose.

However, if the GOP supported policies, or at least seemed like they cared about, minorities. They would have stood a much better chance.

Luckily for Republicans tho even if they continue as they are, low voter turn out will keep them winning minor races.

Sanders would lead the Dems to a defeat of epic proportions.

What positions should the GOP take to court minority votes? Any specific policies? I'm genuinely curious to hear your thoughts.

... how would you explain their epic low approval ratings and the studies showing how government action has little to no correlation to voter sentiment? I get that the house and senate are the most democratic bodies but that's simply an bigger indictment of the system as a whole

No, congress as a whole is NOT the most democratic, the House itself is. They represent small districts, their representation and election is far more connected to the will of their people. And Americans have always, and I do mean always, disliked and distrusted their federal branches of government. Once in a while we like a president, for a while, but congress, never. This is part of what I was trying to get you to understand before. It's something that Europeans generally don't get, we are a union of individual states, still very much uncomfortable with the federal.

Think of our federal government as the EU, our state and local governments as what you think of as your "government".

Then why make you comments...

To answer yours. Look, we're still in the primaries, just beginning in fact. Primary polls are, or can be, significant. Polls on the general election are crystal ball gazing at best at this point, political maneuvering at worst.

Ok I admit, I used the wrong word, I should have just used representative, so a person who supposed to represent a group of people.

However, I stand by my question.

Do you think it would have been right for Rick Perry to ignore all the black and hispanic people there who didn't vote for him?

And do answer yours....not particularly, but I believe that she should represent everyone in the area she is responsible for.

You think she's a Nazi? I'm sorry, that's not the case at all.

how? when you can only cast one vote for your district on pieces of legislation, and the majority of the voters in that district want a certain vote, how exactly do you represent those other interests?

everyone loves their congressman but hates congress as a whole.

where I live in Washington State, in the 6th Congressional we had a congressman for many years named Norm Dicks, he was in office from the late 1970s to 2012. His name is on Bremerton's city hall and he's well known, everyone in the 6th loved him, he was reelected by comfortable margins year after year. even the anti government republican types voted for him.

In Minnesota there's a democrat named Collin Peterson who is in a district that's highly republican, but he keeps getting reelected, usually 60%

these are two examples, people in many districts have no problem with their congressman personally, they're simply disillusioned with congress as an institution, primarily because they don't understand how politics work,

What positions should the GOP take to court minority votes? Any specific policies? I'm genuinely curious.

Great question. A good start would be in regards to police.

If they madr a point of saying that clearly they're problems with black people getting disproportionately shot and killed by cops and proposed legislation which mandated cop cameras, community policing, mandate cops to record each encounter when searching or pulling someone over and other policies which would help cops treat everyone fairly and equally. Legalise weed, most are in favour anyway, plus black people are also disproportionately sent to jail for it even though they use it just as much as whites.

That is just some of the things which would help get blacks and minorities, and they don't go against any conservative principles...

If path way to citizenship included illegals to register, work so many hours at a job or community service plus learn to speak English and take a citizenship test. I think Republican might get behind that. Then Hispanics won't feel that the GOP are trying to kick their friends or family out of the country or forcing them to live under the radar.

To answer yours. Look, we're still in the primaries, just beginning in fact. Primary polls are, or can be, significant. Polls on the general election are crystal ball gazing at best at this point, political maneuvering at worst.

So you ignore the point and you just breeze by with your shrugged shoulder attitude..

So you ignore the point and you just breeze by with your shrugged shoulder attitude..

No, and in case you missed it, having quoted it and all, I answered what you thought was a "point".

Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post

how? when you can only cast one vote for your district on pieces of legislation, and the majority of the voters in that district want a certain vote, how exactly do you represent those other interests?

Putting aside the party politics. People actually agree a lot with each other, in fact, much more than politicians would like us to believe. If we were able to vote on issue by issue. Or at least make the ref always vote on the side his constituents vote then you'll find that the team Dem and Rep would no longer become the problem that it is when passing legislation.

The people can then be represented each time they voted on each issue. Dure they won't be on the winning side every time, but certainly a lot more than the current system where refs almost always vote on party, or worse, corporate lines, both of which are very often views not held by the people themselves

Putting aside the party politics. People actually agree a lot with each other, in fact, much more than politicians would like us to believe. If we were able to vote on issue by issue. Or at least make the ref always vote on the side his constituents vote then you'll find that the team Dem and Rep would no longer become the problem that it is when passing legislation.

The people can then be represented each time they voted on each issue. Dure they won't be on the winning side every time, but certainly a lot more than the current system where refs almost always vote on party, or worse, corporate lines, both of which are very often views not held by the people themselves

Actually, in reality, the opposite is true. Most political compromise is lose/lose, not win/win.

Back
Top Bottom