• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the GOP Commiting Political Suicide?[W:11]

DDA

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Hi All

I've been following American politics for about 10 years now and I have gradually been watching them become less welcoming towards Black/Hispanic and other minorities.

It's obvious at this point that they are mostly aiming for the support of just one (and still very large) demographic, which is the white/white male vote.

Fortunately for them, some minorities are so small they don't have to worry if they never vote of them, but what about the black and Hispanic vote?

I believe that soon the GOP will no longer be able to afford to continue to ignore these demographics, and if they do, they will cease to be a party which can compete in General Elections, and as cycles go by less significant (by percentage who vote) elections.

This is because as other demographics are growing at a faster rates, the White share of the vote is decreasing. As a result, by 2050 the White population will no longer be the majority of the US.

How can the party continue with their current sentiments towards blacks (currently 14% of pop) and Hispanics (17% of pop) when combined they'll make a greater share of the population?

Are they committing political suicide by continuing in this direction?

I've made a video which in part address this, you can find here

As usual, I'd like to here your thought.

DDAdvocator

Re: Is the GOP Commiting Political Suicide?

Blacks, Latinos, Gays, Muslims, Atheists...the GOP has pushed almost all of them away already. Add to that the gender gap and the youth gap, and it's become quite apparent that the only people the GOP cares about are Christian White men over the age of 40. It shows and the results will be devastating in the years to come.

It's funny that democrats/liberals seem to be most concerned with the GOP supposed demise

It's funny that democrats/liberals seem to be most concerned with the GOP supposed demise

I'm not a Democrat or a liberal, and the OP lives in the UK. So, the interest here is more about politics in general than "liberal" concern.

I'm not a Democrat or a liberal, and the OP lives in the UK. So, the interest here is more about politics in general than "liberal" concern.

You don't really believe the OP lives in the UK, do you?

So many endless posts on here from purported foreigners who are concerned about American politics, particularly those trying to Liberalize the Republican Party for its own good, it's really heartwarming.

Last edited:

Now let's turn the lens around.

The largest demographics in the United States...white voters. The highest income, best educated and 'least' religious group...whites. The group most likely to get out and vote...whites.

The majority of whites, male AND female vote Republican.
The group that controls the Senate...GOP. The group that controls the House...GOP.

So many endless posts on here from purported foreigners who are concerned about American politics, particularly those trying to Liberalize the Republican Party for its own good, it's really heartwarming.

I do live in the UK...for what its worth, you're welcome to check my Youtube, Twitter and Facebook page if you like...why would someone lie about that? Plus you do realise that there are more non Americans than Americans in the world don't you? So it would make sense that there are many non American users.

Hi All

I've been following American politics for about 10 years now and I have gradually been watching them become less welcoming towards Black/Hispanic and other minorities.

It's obvious at this point that they are mostly aiming for the support of just one (and still very large) demographic, which is the white/white male vote.

Fortunately for them, some minorities are so small they don't have to worry if they never vote of them, but what about the black and Hispanic vote?

I believe that soon the GOP will no longer be able to afford to continue to ignore these demographics, and if they do, they will cease to be a party which can compete in General Elections, and as cycles go by less significant (by percentage who vote) elections.

This is because as other demographics are growing at a faster rates, the White share of the vote is decreasing. As a result, by 2050 the White population will no longer be the majority of the US.

How can the party continue with their current sentiments towards blacks (currently 14% of pop) and Hispanics (17% of pop) when combined they'll make a greater share of the population?

I've made a video which in part address this, you can find here

DDAdvocator

Seems to me that you're buying all the Democratic mantra that the GOP is racist. Sure, some in the GOP is racist. But the majority is not. For example: For the majority of people against illegal immigration race has absolutely nothing to do with the issue but the Democratic propaganda machine uses this issue to promote the idea that race is the only reason that the members of the GOP are against illegal immigration. It's a BS claim made to garner votes. And it works for the Democratic base for many reasons.

I get it you hate labels, but when all you posts are attacking conservatives/republicans or defending liberals/Democrats the writing is on the wall.

Just some advice feel free to ignore it like I know you will, if you don't want to be called a duck stop quacking

Moderator's Warning:
Stick to the topic. Which is NOT DDA. If you have trouble doing this then I'll help you leave.

How come no one of a particular party can have an honest opinion on a topic that might be in any way "threatening" to their party?
How about addressing the OP instead of going off in the same smoke screen that politicians use to duck issues?

I've had this same conversation with my brother who is a Republican white Christian male well over 40.
He pointed out these very issues. That the Republican party will need to change in the next several years or that it is going to go into death throws.
The party does not appeal to minorities or, often, to minority issues, though I would argue that it does appeal to some younger adults as the "wholesome traditional party that my parents love".
As the nation changes so will the GOP need to.
If it does die out or become a very unviable counter party to the Democratic party, I hope that something takes it place (ideally I would like to see parties die out altogether but realistically...) because as bad as a Bipartisan Empire is, a One Party Tyranny would be worse.

Seems to me that you're buying all the Democratic mantra that the GOP is racist. Sure, some in the GOP is racist. But the majority is not. For example: For the majority of people against illegal immigration race has absolutely nothing to do with the issue but the Democratic propaganda machine uses this issue to promote the idea that race is the only reason that the members of the GOP are against illegal immigration. It's a BS claim made to garner votes. And it works for the Democratic base for many reasons.

I don't believe all in the GOP are racist, I don't believe that the GOP leadership are racist, I don't even believe that Trump is racist. However, what I do believe is that the party is pandering to those kinds of people unfortunately. Do you not think so?

Last edited:

I don't believe all in the GOP, I don't believe that the GOP is racist, I don't even believe that Trump is racist. However, what I do believe is that the party is pandering to those kinds of people unfortunately. Do you not think so?
I think, for the most part, the GOP relates to the religious and lovers of tradition. I don't think it is all bad, nor is it all good.
I think Trump panders to anyone that will listen to him make outrageous sound bites in their general direction.
The GOP, as a whole? Though they do not focus on minorities I don't think they are "out to get them".

I do live in the UK...for what its worth, you're welcome to check my Youtube, Twitter and Facebook page if you like...why would someone lie about that? Plus you do realise that there are more non Americans than Americans in the world don't you? So it would make sense that there are many non American users.

You may be from the UK, which might be why after "following American politics for about 10 years now" you don't appear to have a clue about either party. Just for giggles, how many black or hispanic candidates for president are the democrats fielding this time?

The video, well that's going to be embarrassing for you. Long after you realize how wrong you are the video will still be around for all to see.

I think, for the most part, the GOP relates to the religious and lovers of tradition. I don't think it is all bad, nor is it all good.
I think Trump panders to anyone that will listen to him make outrageous sound bites in their general direction.
The GOP, as a whole? Though they do not focus on minorities I don't think they are "out to get them".

Do you think it would be better for the GOP to try and expand its issues beyond the ones it's became familiar with? The GOP didn't used to be this way. I still remember Bush after 911 saying that Islam is a religion of peace. A GOP candidate would be torn to pieces if they said that now, you sort of see that with Jeb Bush.

You may be from the UK, which might be why after "following American politics for about 10 years now" you don't appear to have a clue about either party. Just for giggles, how many black or hispanic candidates for president are the democrats fielding this time?

The video, well that's going to be embarrassing for you. Long after you realize how wrong you are the video will still be around for all to see.

Putting aside your less substantive points....Don't you think it would do the GOP good to try and change? So it would appeal to more people? How do you think the party will survive if they don't?

I get it you hate labels, but when all you posts are attacking conservatives/republicans or defending liberals/Democrats the writing is on the wall.

Just some advice feel free to ignore it like I know you will, if you don't want to be called a duck stop quacking

I like abortion legal, god out of government, same sex marriage legal and free contraceptives for all, but I kind of feel that most of the other Democratic positions are utopian nonsense. Republican positions on business, guns and school choice are good, but they are idiots when it comes to god, sex and abortion.

sure you are.

you aren't a liberal, you just vote with them 100% of the time and always argue in their favor.

it's so transparent, nobody buys your centrist title. nobody

I joined Debate Politics last week because like the OP I'm interested in US politics - imo one of the world's great spectator sports - and it will be interesting to see Americans views as the election unfolds. We furriners may express an opinion now and then but hey! we don't have votes so you need not take us seriously. There may even be a few of you who find some interest in how your politics is seen from the outside.

I don't believe all in the GOP are racist, I don't believe that the GOP leadership are racist, I don't even believe that Trump is racist. However, what I do believe is that the party is pandering to those kinds of people unfortunately. Do you not think so?

In the USA.

The most racist group? Hint, not Whites (ask Asians, Jews for their answer)
The most religious groups...Blacks and Hispanics
The most intolerant of Gay marriage...Blacks and Hispanics
Highest rates of violent crime...Blacks and Hispanics

So you would conclude that the Democrats pander to the least educated, most homophobic, most violent, most racist, most religious groups?

I don't. I would say that there are other variables that appeal to groups. Trump appeals to Those wanting less government, secure borders, efficient government, respect of the Constitution, safer streets, etc. The same as the Dems who appeal to Blacks want better minority education, housing, opportunities, etc.

I like abortion legal, god out of government, same sex marriage legal and free contraceptives for all, but I kind of feel that most of the other Democratic positions are utopian nonsense. Republican positions on business, guns and school choice are good, but they are idiots when it comes to god, sex and abortion.

I think your comment is incredibly telling about the state of democracy in the US (and many other places) today. The two parties which exist in the US are struggling to represent the actual views of their constituency.

It's actually the reason why I created my Youtube channel and why I've got into politics more. I'll probably need to create a new thread about this, but I think we need to change the way our democracy interacts with it's voters...to move from Representative Democracy to Direct democracy.

Hi All

DDAdvocator

It's all demographics, and it's nothing that hasn't happened many times before. First off, when a certain demographic - whether it's race, ethnicity, or religion - is the dominant such group in a nation or region, that group tends to jealously guard its privileged place. Examples abound: look at the wars the Catholics waged against the protestants (and vice versa, of course) when the size and influence of the protestants began to grow. Look at the wars between white settlers and native Americans. In China, look at what the Tibetans are going through, and the unrest in Xinjiang province among the once-majority Uighurs.

As the most-numerous and -powerful group begins to see itself losing its power, influence, and privilege, those belonging to that group tend to close ranks, to become hardened, and sometimes resort to violence. But the point is, the greater the continuing loss of power, influence, and privilege to once-lesser groups, the greater the resentment.

Without going into details, those who resent the diminishing of white power and influence have gravitated to the GOP...and as described above, the greater the gradual loss of power and influence, the greater the resentment, and the more their hearts are hardened. And that is at the very heart of what's going on in the GOP today.

This is NOT to say that the GOP is a bunch of racists - they're obviously not. The overwhelming majority of Republicans are good-hearted, hard-working people. What I'm describing here is not seen and felt on the individual scale so much as on the macro scale. For instance, this past week a Muslim woman wore her hijab to a Trump rally to try to show people that Muslims are indeed human. She describes her surprise:

And nothing bad happened to me at the rally: there were some hard stares and dirty looks, but no outright rude behavior. I spoke to several lovely people and had the type of informative and substantive discourse that one should expect at a political event. It was good to see that the bullies and thugs who have been fixtures at several other Trump rallies had taken the day off; maybe they were just too shocked to say anything directly to me.

As I said above, at the individual level the overwhelming majority of Republicans are not racist, but are good-hearted, hard-working people. However, at the macro level, they are part of a monolithic group that seems to have decided that anyone who is not one of them must be a lazy good-for-nothing whatever or - if Muslim - a possible supporter of terrorism.

A great example lay in the conservatives on this very forum: they're almost without exception good, hard-working people...but look at the invective we see, wherein they accuse those of us who are liberals of being statists, lazy bums, and just about every other insult they can think of. But you know what? If they knew us personally, they would not say such things. It's because they don't see us and don't know us that they make such assumptions. And so it goes with the vast majority of Republicans in America - they support policies on the assumptions that liberals/non-WASPs are lazy good-for-nothings...while many of them would never say such things about liberals that they personally know.

I hope this helps.

In the USA.

The most racist group? Hint, not Whites (ask Asians, Jews for their answer)
The most religious groups...Blacks and Hispanics
The most intolerant of Gay marriage...Blacks and Hispanics
Highest rates of violent crime...Blacks and Hispanics

So you would conclude that the Democrats pander to the least educated, most homophobic, most violent, most racist, most religious groups?

I don't. I would say that there are other variables that appeal to groups. Trump appeals to Those wanting less government, secure borders, efficient government, respect of the Constitution, safer streets, etc. The same as the Dems who appeal to Blacks want better minority education, housing, opportunities, etc.

You are right, there are many different issues which makes up a voters psyche. And again I don't think the GOP are raciest. However, wouldn't you agree that a gay person, a Muslim person, a black person or hispanic person would be much less likely to vote for the GOP if the party as a whole seemed to be supporting positions which are against people like them? E.g. Banning muslims, against pathway to citizenship, against gay rights.

I think your comment is incredibly telling about the state of democracy in the US (and many other places) today. The two parties which exist in the US are struggling to represent the actual views of their constituency.

It's actually the reason why I created my Youtube channel and why I've got into politics more. I'll probably need to create a new thread about this, but I think we need to change the way our democracy interacts with it's voters...to move from Representative Democracy to Direct democracy.

IMO, it's an issue of pandering to the base. The GOP knows that if they come out against abortion and gays, they will pull in millions of voters. If they also start bashing Mexicans, they can avoid dealing with the issue of outsourcing and corporate greed, which is where their money comes from. Democrats have to offer government give-aways to get a large segment of their base out to vote. So, they are relentless when it comes to avoiding fiscal responsibility.

Both parties lose me because I am not in one of the major groups that they pander to. So, it gets pretty obvious that this is all they are doing. And, that leave me with a bad taste in my mouth for both parties.

Back
Top Bottom