• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

YouTuber accused topping 150 mph on his motorcycle on Colorado interstate wanted on multiple charges

I was timed on my KZ650 at 117 mph by a state trooper's calibrated radar gun. I was issued an official document attesting to that, which also noted the speed was attained in a 55 mph zone.
Didja show it off? Doubling the highway speed limit was bragging rights in some circles.
To this day I could take you to a remote stretch in my home town with white lines painted a measured quarter-mile apart, been there since the 70's.
I know all the reasons why street-racing and highway top-speed runs are to be universally condemned but I also know the reasons they happen.
I saw an indicated 135 while riding pillion on a friend's Kawasaki Mach IV triple, but the speedometers in those days were somewhat optimistic.
That must have been exciting, riding behind at that speed. When I went that fast I damned-near had my chin on the gauges and had to resist the sideways pull when I turned my head slightly to see the mirrors.

Didja show it off? Doubling the highway speed limit was bragging rights in some circles.
To this day I could take you to a remote stretch in my home town with white lines painted a measured quarter-mile apart, been there since the 70's.
I know all the reasons why street-racing and highway top-speed runs are to be universally condemned but I also know the reasons they happen.

That must have been exciting, riding behind at that speed. When I went that fast I damned-near had my chin on the gauges and had to resist the sideways pull when I turned my head slightly to see the mirrors.
Why? Can’t anyone step on the gas?

There is a theory about the varied types of crests on pterosaurs. One theory is that they exhibit difference in sex within a species. Another theory is that they functioned as airfoils, effectively rudders to steer the animal in the direction its head was pointing. Your experience with that pull when you turned your head is an example. As far as sexual dimorphism, I don't think women would be interested in men seeing how close to suicide they could get to impress their buddies. Woman like their men to be stable.

Why go that fast? Plenty of other highs available for less risk.
My experience? If there's no real danger there's no real high. And I'm pretty sure that's not a rare, unique attitude. Lots of young men have that reaction to hormones, and adrenaline and testosterone are hormones. Lots of young men. Hell, the military makes a mission out of recruiting that bent and channeling it.
Listen. While I was racing that motorcycle in the early hours on mountain highways I was an apprentice Ironworker, training for a nearly 30 year career on structural steel. The same impulses were at work in my choice of career and my choice of recreation. It's not a considered, measured decision, it's just responding to one's nature.
So, why? All I can say is, just because.

There is a theory about the varied types of crests on pterosaurs. One theory is that they exhibit difference in sex within a species. Another theory is that they functioned as airfoils, effectively rudders to steer the animal in the direction its head was pointing. Your experience with that pull when you turned your head is an example. As far as sexual dimorphism, I don't think women would be interested in men seeing how close to suicide they could get to impress their buddies. Woman like their men to be stable.
You don't get it.

You don't get it.
What part don't I get? Why moving your head while riding at high speed exerts a tangential force that can be dangerous?

My experience? If there's no real danger there's no real high. And I'm pretty sure that's not a rare, unique attitude. Lots of young men have that reaction to hormones, and adrenaline and testosterone are hormones. Lots of young men. Hell, the military makes a mission out of recruiting that bent and channeling it.
Listen. While I was racing that motorcycle in the early hours on mountain highways I was an apprentice Ironworker, training for a nearly 30 year career on structural steel. The same impulses were at work in my choice of career and my choice of recreation. It's not a considered, measured decision, it's just responding to one's nature.
Testosterone has its merits. But it has been responsible for much grief in the history of the world.

What part don't I get? Why moving your head while riding at high speed exerts a tangential force that can be dangerous?
I highlighted the part you don't get. "impress their buddies". That has nothing to do with the topic

Testosterone has its merits. But it has been responsible for much grief in the history of the world.
Yes. Agreed.
But it exists, as does adrenaline, and they produce predictable responses.

I was timed on my KZ650 at 117 mph by a state trooper's calibrated radar gun. I was issued an official document attesting to that, which also noted the speed was attained in a 55 mph zone.

I saw an indicated 135 while riding pillion on a friend's Kawasaki Mach IV triple, but the speedometers in those days were somewhat optimistic.

Yamaha bikes are notorious for having "optimistic" speedometers. My Honda 919 also had a ten mile an hour overage as well.

"Why did you climb Mt Everest?"
"Cause it was there."

The high aside there is a lot to be said for proving something to yourself

Aren't I still showing it off, in a way? :)

We had several places around the old hometown with more or less quarter mile distances marked. But when I-55 went through and the southbound 2 lanes of the former Rt 66 were retired...omg...drag racing nirvana. I watched my friend use that Mach IV to completely trounce an SS Impala with a 427 one night. I suspect even the car's owner knew it was a lopsided contest, but my friend and his two stroke triple had a helluva reputation, and everyone just wanted to see them in action.

Even before that, the four lanes of Rt66 was good in the wee hours when traffic was light. Wait until nothing is in sight for a mile or more, and pull the combatants out there to stage.

Yamaha bikes are notorious for having "optimistic" speedometers. My Honda 919 also had a ten mile an hour overage as well.

I think my KZ650 speedo was optimistic. I certainly saw it indicate more than 125 at times while I had it. The trooper who gave me my official 117 credentials said I was probably a little faster than that during our little speed contest. But he said it took a certain sustained speed for the radar to get a lock. Still, I never figured 117 was bad for a 650cc bike. It did have a Russ Collins header, airbox silencing cut out, and proper jetting for those two modifications.

"Why did you climb Mt Everest?"
"Cause it was there."

The high aside there is a lot to be said for proving something to yourself
It's only this: doing whatever you have to do to get more 'followers' on your channel.

If you are going to post videos of yourself, doing really questionable things and breaking numerous laws, do not complain about the consequences.

YouTube or Tiktok or otherwise it does not matter, this is not an unheard of concept, nor is it exclusive to the US.

I hope they capture him and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, to say otherwise encourages more idiots to video themselves breaking laws being idiots. World's Dumbest Criminals did not make its way into existence for no reason.

If you are going to post videos of yourself, doing really questionable things and breaking numerous laws, do not complain about the consequences.

YouTube or Tiktok or otherwise it does not matter, this is not an unheard of concept, nor is it exclusive to the US.

I hope they capture him and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, to say otherwise encourages more idiots to video themselves breaking laws being idiots. World's Dumbest Criminals did not make its way into existence for no reason.
They make $$ by doing this & posting on SM.

They make $$ by doing this & posting on SM.

Of course they do, does not change much of what I said.

No matter if the thrill of the moment or quest for money and SM fame the result is the same, get a good lawyer.

This will sound hilarious to everyone who knows the car but when I was 16-17 years old I used to drive my '73 convertible Kharmann Ghia like it was a Ferrari. I hit 100mph on the freeway once and the chassis was vibrating so hard I hit the brakes for fear the car would shake apart.

All that without wearing a seatbelt. We are all Deadpool at that age - no fear of death.

I liked to try to take turns without braking at all.

Though there was that one time I hit a patch of ice and nearly slid into a car that was turning in the opposite direction. Fortunately momentum carried me forward enough for the front wheels to leave the ice, allowing me to accelerate in time to clear the rear of the other car....

DENVER (AP) — A motorcyclist who authorities say posted a video of himself on YouTube speeding from Colorado Springs to the Denver metro area on Interstate 25 in 20 minutes — a trip that typically takes about an hour — is wanted on multiple charges.
===================================================

Rendon Dietzmann, a 32-year-old from Texas, recorded himself Sept. 28 going more than 150 mph (241 kph), squeezing through small gaps in traffic and traveling on the shoulder, according to a Colorado State Patrol news release sent Wednesday. The video has since been deleted from YouTube, but the State Patrol shared a clip with the news release.

Dietzmann, who is known as Gixxer Brah on YouTube, has posted multiple similar videos from different parts of the country. He is wanted on charges of menacing, engaging in a speed contest, reckless endangerment, reckless driving, speeding 40 mph (64 kph) over the limit, engaging in an exhibition of speed and driving without license plates attached.
========================================================
His favorite phrase: 'Good morning, your Honor.'
I did the same thing in southern California, long before YouTube existed. Only my best speed was 135 mph. I would typically average between 110 and 120 mph.

It would be a very rare day when I drove under 90 mph on Los Angeles' freeways. Typically only when I left my full-face helmet at home (this was before mandatory helmet laws existed). Anything in excess of 90 mph without glasses or a full-face helmet and my eye-lids would start flapping, making it difficult to see. So I almost always wore a helmet when driving on the freeway.

Normally it is a 50 minute drive - on a good day - to cover the 45 miles from Reseda to Long Beach driving down the 405. I could make the trip in 20 minutes.

It may seem counter intuitive, but the safest place for a motorcycle to be is between two vehicles. Motorcycles are invisible to regular traffic, so one has to drive accordingly. A driver may not see the motorcycle, but if they are driving next to another vehicle the odds are very good they are aware of the other vehicle. So if you drive between the two vehicles you can be reasonable assured they neither vehicle is going to suddenly change lanes.

Furthermore, when you are driving more than 40 mph faster than the surrounding traffic you approach and pass vehicles before they are ever aware that you exist.

I will have to say that he was pretty damn stupid for posting it on the Internet. :rolleyes:

I was stopped numerous times for speeding. I never tried to run, even though it may have seemed like it to the police since they had to exceed 100 mph just to keep up with me. As the adage goes, "you can never out run Motorola." So I always pulled over and stopped whenever I was aware of any law enforcement following me. It never stopped me from speeding.

What eventually stopped me from speeding was the sale of my Yamaha V-Max when I moved to Alaska in 1991. I have not had a speeding ticket since.

My top speed was 255 kph which is basically 155 mph.

It was a nice Yamaha YZF R1 1998 model
I kept experiencing a wobble in the front wheel whenever I tried to exceed 135 mph. I don't know if it was the bike or my driving ability, maybe a combination of both. Either way I was not comfortable driving any faster. I was driving a 1989 Yahama V-Max, which was the fastest production bike at that time and had no problem reaching speeds in excess of 150 mph.

I liked to try to take turns without braking at all.

Though there was that one time I hit a patch of ice and nearly slid into a car that was turning in the opposite direction. Fortunately momentum carried me forward enough for the front wheels to leave the ice, allowing me to accelerate in time to clear the rear of the other car....
When I was making regular trips into Anchorage for work during the Winter I use to see how long I could go without ever touching my brakes. I was driving a 4x4 with a manual transmission, so that helped tremendously. Even at red lights I just used the gears to slow down, easing out the clutch so not to grind the gears. If you get the speed right, then there is no problem with the gear box. It is a very effective way of slowing down while on ice and snow.

What most people seem to forget is that while 4x4 and AWD vehicles are really good at accelerating through snow and ice, they are no better than FWD or RWD vehicles when it comes to stopping on snow or ice. Once you lose traction with the road then all bets are off. It doesn't matter what kind of drive your vehicle has, you will no longer be in control. Which is why the roads are literally lined with ditch-divers, and most of them in AWD vehicles, after the first snowfall of the season.

Back
Top Bottom