• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US threatens to withdraw troops from Germany

I think Merkel will care, along with the local MPs where the troops are based.

From a financial point of view I would imagine 12,000 troops, plus their families, etc are contributing quite a considerable amount of money to the local economies in so many ways.

Once the troops withdraw, businesses will be hit in the pocket with a revenue they have become dependent on, which in turn will have a domino effect.

Do you seriously believe the most powerful Economy of Europe cares about the effect that 12500 removed soldiers have?

Thats not even meassurable.

Do you seriously believe the most powerful Economy of Europe cares about the effect that 12500 removed soldiers have?

sorry for german source

"heads of state appeal to US senators to prevent the pull-out of 9500 soldiers from Germany" ;)

for me it´s okay if they leave - but saying it has no economical impact is just lying

This is a kick in b**ls for the German economy, I don't care how powerful you think it is.

Ramstein and Spangdahlem has 9,000 troops combined, so 3,000 less than expected to be withdrawn.

"Way back in 2001, a study by the University of Trier showed that the Ramstein Air Base and the nearby Spangdahlem Air Base contributed around €1.4 billion ($1.7 billion) to the local economy and supported about 27,000 jobs in the region."

German towns face economic hit should US troops go | Business| Economy and finance news from a German perspective | DW | 08.06.2020

This is a kick in b**ls for the German economy, I don't care how powerful you think it is.

Ramstein and Spangdahlem has 9,000 troops combined, so 3,000 less than expected to be withdrawn.

"Way back in 2001, a study by the University of Trier showed that the Ramstein Air Base and the nearby Spangdahlem Air Base contributed around €1.4 billion ($1.7 billion) to the local economy and supported about 27,000 jobs in the region."

German towns face economic hit should US troops go | Business| Economy and finance news from a German perspective | DW | 08.06.2020
A bad example. Most of the troops being withdrawn are just moving else where in Europe and according to some observers were redundant. Will it have an economic impact locally.. sure, but nothing that can't easily be absorbed.

And they ain't closing key facilities like Ramstien.

Sent from my Honor 8X

sorry for german source

"heads of state appeal to US senators to prevent the pull-out of 9500 soldiers from Germany" ;)

for me it´s okay if they leave - but saying it has no economical impact is just lying

Its a not even meassurable impact.

Did the same politicians care when almost 100.000 women who worked at Schlecker lost their jobs?

Do they care when workers who work in coal mining lose their jobs?

Of course not.

Thats a quarter of jobs provided by the 2nd class drug store Schlecker...so...**** em. Time to find a new job.

btw 1.5 billion is not meassureable for the German economy, which is 3.9 trillion

~...................
Did the same politicians care when almost 100.000 women who worked at Schlecker lost their jobs?...............~
Schlecker had around 47,000 employees at the time of filing for insolvency.

US troops in Germany have actually found constant reduction over the years long before this.

The whole (current) thing isn't going to have much of an overall impact on the German economy, but the people directly affected will hurt.

In the predominantly rural areas where they live (IOW where US bases supplied them with jobs, directly and indirectly), alternatives of employment are thin on the ground.

I think Biden will stop the troop withdrawal.

It would be nice if Germany and Japan kept their promises about keeping their defense spending at 2% GDP.

US troops in Germany have actually found constant reduction over the years long before this.

The whole (current) thing isn't going to have much of an overall impact on the German economy, but the people directly affected will hurt.

In the predominantly rural areas where they live (IOW where US bases supplied them with jobs, directly and indirectly), alternatives of employment are thin on the ground.

Same can be said for people whose jobs are in coal mining. There will be financial support and thats about it.

It would be nice if Germany and Japan kept their promises about keeping their defense spending at 2% GDP.

Why? Why should this be be made in stone?

2% is way too much. Even more so in the current global crisis.

The problem with all this % of GDP is that nobody looks at the real money.

I do not believe Japan ever had a promise to spend 2% of GDP on defence. That was/is a NATO thing, which was to be met by 2024

A bad example. Most of the troops being withdrawn are just moving else where in Europe and according to some observers were redundant. Will it have an economic impact locally.. sure, but nothing that can't easily be absorbed.

And they ain't closing key facilities like Ramstien.

Sent from my Honor 8X

I think it's a good example.

It really doesn't matter where the troops move to in Europe, it still affects Germany if they're not in Germany, and they still spend money whether they're redundant or not.

I was using Ramstein as an example to give an idea of the kind of figures generated in relation to troop numbers, which at a guess will be the same per head at other bases.

How will the local economic impact be easily absorbed by the government?

They will have to either create new jobs or hand out state benefits, the latter being dead end money going around in circles.

The Jewish name of the base, Ramstein was probably the Yanks giving Ze Germans the Bird as well.

~...........The Jewish name of the base, Ramstein was probably the Yanks giving Ze Germans the Bird as well.
That's the first I've ever heard of the name being Jewish. Do you have a link for that?

That's the first I've ever heard of the name being Jewish. Do you have a link for that?

No, but I have to say all the 'stein's I personally know are Jewish, hence my connection.

No, but I have to say all the 'stein's I personally know are Jewish, hence my connection.
Stein is actually German for stone or, in cases like these, rock. Often denoting a location or town (e.g. Staffelstein, Kufstein etc.).

Medieval Jews in Germany would often adopt the name of their place of residence (or birth) as surnames, even after fleeing to Eastern Europe to escape the German pogroms of that time.

As such Epstein (Jeffrey) can probably trace his family's origins back to Eppstein, a town in today's Hessia.

As such Epstein (Jeffrey) can probably trace his family's origins back to Eppstein, a town in today's Hessia.

Interesting you say that, it appears quite a few 'stein surnames drop the double letter, and the name in question, Ramstein also has the variation of Rammstein.

Also, the name 'stein can either precede or follow. I personally know of a Steingold and Goldstein.

Same goes for 'berg, 'bloom 'ski, 'vich - all very Jewish sounding, but not necessarily Jewish I guess.

Interesting you say that, it appears quite a few 'stein surnames drop the double letter, and the name in question, Ramstein also has the variation of Rammstein.
Well, if you run into anyone of that name, get ear plugs in fast. They're not just heavy metal, they're heavy-heavy metal.

Also, the name 'stein can either precede or follow. I personally know of a Steingold and Goldstein.

Same goes for 'berg, 'bloom 'ski, 'vich - all very Jewish sounding, but not necessarily Jewish I guess.
In many cases (especially once in the East) Jews were compelled to take surnames, with Austria having started that in the late 1700s and others (Prussia for instance) following suit.

If the name today sounds German, the holder is Askenazi (Ashkenas is Hebrew for Germany).

Names of Sephardic Jews that are originally from Iberia (Safarad is Hebrew for the peninsula) sound more Spanish and often trace back to Arabic.

I think it's a good example.

It really doesn't matter where the troops move to in Europe, it still affects Germany if they're not in Germany, and they still spend money whether they're redundant or not.

I was using Ramstein as an example to give an idea of the kind of figures generated in relation to troop numbers, which at a guess will be the same per head at other bases.

How will the local economic impact be easily absorbed by the government?

They will have to either create new jobs or hand out state benefits, the latter being dead end money going around in circles.

The Jewish name of the base, Ramstein was probably the Yanks giving Ze Germans the Bird as well.

Germany pays several hundred millions for those bases each year.

That money can easily be used to support the local villages.

Ramstein is not a jewish name. Stein is german word for stone.

The cities name is Ramstein and it has that name since over 800 years. There goes your your stupid theory.

Whatever did they do to you as a child for you to have become so insufferably rude?:roll:

There was certainly some kind of abuse involved, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom