• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US threatens to withdraw troops from Germany

LOL Thanks for not arguing that Nixon enticed the Dixiecrats in the South to vote Republican and that the racist south remains Republican to this day.

Ahh yes. Another progressive myth. In that election...George Wallace won the vote.

Watch how Democrat Keith Ellison lies publicly on National Television that George Wallace was a republican and gets corrected.

"Progressives who cannot refute this history—facts are stubborn things—nevertheless create the fantasy of a Nixon “Southern strategy” that supposedly explains how Republicans cynically appealed to racism in order to convert southern Democrats into Republicans. In reality Nixon had no such strategy—as we have seen, it was Lyndon Johnson who had a southern strategy to keep blacks from defecting to the Republican Party. Johnson, not Nixon, was the true racist, a fact that progressive historiography has gone to great lengths to disguise.
Nixon’s political strategy in the 1968 campaign is laid out in Kevin Phillips’s classic work The Emerging Republican Majority. Phillips writes that the Nixon campaign knew it could never win the presidency through any kind of racist appeal. Such an appeal, even if it won some converts in some parts of the Lower South, would completely ruin Nixon’s prospects in the rest of the country. Nixon’s best bet was to appeal to the rising middle classes of the Upper South on the basis of prosperity and economic opportunity.22 This is exactly what Nixon did.
There are no statements by Nixon that even remotely suggest he appealed to racism in the 1968 or 1972 campaigns. Nixon never displayed the hateful, condescending view of blacks that Johnson did. The racist vote in 1968 didn’t go to Nixon; it went to George Wallace. A longtime Democratic segregationist, Wallace campaigned that year on an independent ticket. Nixon won the election but Wallace carried the Deep South states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.
Nixon supported expanded civil rights for blacks throughout his career while Johnson was—for the cynical reasons given above—a late convert to the cause.
far beyond Johnson in this area; in fact, Nixon implemented America’s first affirmative action program which involved the government forcing racist unions in Philadelphia to hire blacks.
To sum up, starting in the 1930s and continuing to the present, progressive Democrats developed a new solution to the problem of what they saw as useless people. In the antebellum era, useless people from the Democratic point of view were mainly employed as slaves. In the postbellum period, southern Democrats repressed, segregated, and subjugated useless people, seeking to prevent them from challenging white supremacy or voting Republican. Meanwhile, northern progressives like Margaret Sanger sought to prevent useless people from being born. Today’s progressives, building on the legacy of Wilson, FDR, and Johnson, have figured out what to do with useless people: turn them into Democratic voters."

I agree, there is no reason for us to be stationed in Germany.
Russia isn’t going to start anything. I don’t see Russia as a threat.
If Russia was going to secure possession of parts of Europe they would never have relinquished control over the Eastern Bloc countries and Baltic Countries.

LOL Withdrawing from the world will not help us it will weaken us. Forget about Europe, don't you care about your own country? Do you want us isolated and helpless? That is what Putin wants. He is moving troops into Venezuela while we are alienating our allies and reneging on our promises. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
US threatens to withdraw troops from Germany

while i don't think that it will actually happen, i'm fine with bringing troops home. we should be spending resources catching up to the rest of the first world's social programs. as for defense, i think that the money is better spent on cyber defense. i find it much more likely that another country will seek to cripple our infrastructure through a cyber attack than by a missile or an invasion.

Ahh yes. Another progressive myth. In that election...George Wallace won the vote.

Watch how Democrat Keith Ellison lies publicly on National Television that George Wallace was a republican and gets corrected.

LOL Too bad we have Nixon on tape making racist comments about blacks. Both Nixon and Reagan were raging racists and that should not be a surprise. It is also not a surprise the southern racists embraced the GOP after Johnson signed the CRA. The problem with revisionist history is that it that with today's tech is too easy to disprove.

In the fall of 1971, the Nixon administration was engaged in a massive welfare-reform effort, and was also facing school busing. These two issues apparently inspired Nixon to examine more deeply his own thinking on whether African Americans could make it in American society. Only three weeks before the call with Reagan, Nixon had revealed his opinions on Africans and African Americans in a conversation with the Harvard professor Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who had briefly served in the Nixon administration. Nixon was attracted to the theories of Richard Herrnstein and Arthur Jensen, which linked IQ to race, and wondered what Moynihan thought.

“I have reluctantly concluded, based at least on the evidence presently before me … that what Herrnstein says, and what was said earlier by Jensen, is probably … very close to the truth,” Nixon explained to a quiet Moynihan. Nixon believed in a hierarchy of races, with whites and Asians much higher up than people of African descent and Latinos. And he had convinced himself that it wasn’t racist to think black people, as a group, were inferior to whites, so long as he held them in paternalistic regard. “Within groups, there are geniuses,” Nixon said. “There are geniuses within black groups. There are more within Asian groups … This is knowledge that is better not to know.

Ronald Reagan's Racist Conversation With Richard Nixon - The Atlantic

Last edited:
Thurmond, Helms, maybe a few fingers more. Contrary to the fairy tales Democrats tell themselves, pretty much all of them stayed Dems for life, and were even influential in the party for decades.

You do know that Thurmond repented as did George Wallace. The both died railing against the ignorant racism of their former selves. But anyway we are not taking about elected officials but the voters that changed parties and turned the South red overnight. You can't honestly believe that happened without the southern racists voting Republican for the first time in their lives.

You do know that Thurmond repented as did George Wallace. The both died railing against the ignorant racism of their former selves. But anyway we are not taking about elected officials but the voters that changed parties and turned the South red overnight. You can't honestly believe that happened without the southern racists voting Republican for the first time in their lives.

The south didn't start turning "red" until the 1990s, but keep that Kool-Aid on IV drip.

The Germans should be able to take care of themselves. They have a large enough economy.

The south didn't start turning "red" until the 1990s, but keep that Kool-Aid on IV drip.

LOL Goldwater won 5 southern States in 1964 by opposing the Civil Rights amendment. Nixon swept the South in 1972 with his "Southern Strategy".

In the 1964 presidential election, Goldwater ran a conservative campaign that broadly opposed strong action by the federal government. Although he had supported all previous federal civil rights legislation, Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act and championed this opposition during the campaign[37][38] He believed that this act was an intrusion of the federal government into the affairs of state; and second, that the Act interfered with the rights of private persons to do business, or not, with whomever they chose, even if the choice is based on racial discrimination.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia

LOL Goldwater won 5 southern States in 1964 by opposing the Civil Rights amendment. Nixon swept the South in 1972 with his "Southern Strategy".

In the Presidential elections, the South generally went with the winner. E.g., in 1972, Nixon won 49 states. Were all 49 part of the "Southern Strategy"?

In statewide politics -- legislatures, governors, US reps, and Senators, which is where you found the Jim Crow Democrats -- the South remained solidly Democrat until the 1990s. While Goldwater took those states in 1964, everything else about them was almost ENTIRELY Democrat.

But like I said, keep that Kool-Aid drip going.

In the Presidential elections, the South generally went with the winner. E.g., in 1972, Nixon won 49 states. Were all 49 part of the "Southern Strategy"?

In statewide politics -- legislatures, governors, US reps, and Senators, which is where you found the Jim Crow Democrats -- the South remained solidly Democrat until the 1990s. While Goldwater took those states in 1964, everything else about them was almost ENTIRELY Democrat.

But like I said, keep that Kool-Aid drip going.

Local/State vs National party

Today's Democrat Party bears no ideological resemblance to the Reconstruction Democrats or the Jim Crow Democrats. That niche has been commandeered by the Republican Party.

The southern Democrats weren't part of the national party?

The National party became more liberal, more of the open tent. The local parties could remain bigoted for much longer, at least until more minorities joined up (ie helped by voting rights and gaining political power.)

Today's Democrat Party bears no ideological resemblance to the Reconstruction Democrats or the Jim Crow Democrats. That niche has been commandeered by the Republican Party.

The Jim Crow Democrats were dyed-in-the-wool New Dealers. They were FDR men. And even though they had a tiff with Truman in the 1948 election, Truman wasn't FDR, it wasn't over New Deal-style progressive matters, and the "Dixiecrats" rejoined the Democrats after.

Thurmond still ran for President as a Democrat on several state ballots that year.

So, if you want to say today's Democrats have "no ideological resemblance" to New Dealers, then I guess that's the tack you'll have to take.

The National party became more liberal, more of the open tent. The local parties could remain bigoted for much longer, at least until more minorities joined up (ie helped by voting rights and gaining political power.)

Which has nothing to do with the point, which was whether or not the southern states "turned Republican overnight." They didn't.

Which has nothing to do with the point, which was whether or not the southern states "turned Republican overnight." They didn't.

Federally pretty much, locally no. Local power structures took time to switch over

Federally pretty much, locally no. Local power structures took time to switch over

No, the southern states didn't start sending Republican delegations to Congress until the 1990s. Nor did they vote solidly Republican in Presidential elections. As I said, they generally went with the winners.

Godric1970:

Offer too much overt resistance to the USA and rump UK or raise your archers' fingers to Ameica too many times and you may find Scotland on the receiving end of Anglo-American unconventional warfare that leaves Scotland an economic basket case. Sub bases and air bases will still be demanded of you and if Scotland pursues a foreign policy which is too maverick or too unaligned with either the rest of Britain or the USA, than it could become the next Venezuela.

You should proceed more carefully or your zealotry and animus may destroy that which you claim to love the most.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

we are Scots we fear no one we have taken on bigger foes and beaten them, they can never stomach there losses

we are Scots we fear no one we have taken on bigger foes and beaten them, they can never stomach there losses

Godric:

Good luck inflicting losses on sanctions, currency manipulation, embargoes and informational warfare. It's time to move into the 21st Century. A highland charge won't stabilise a plummeting currency and given the choice between a stable Euro or a free Scotland I think we both know where Europe will come down. You utter vainglorious and boastful words but your mouth may be writing chequers which your nation cannot cover. Better to proceed with care and silence Thant rashness and bellicose bluster.

Cheers.
Evilroddy of Clan Donnachaidh from Inverness.

LOL Withdrawing from the world will not help us it will weaken us. Forget about Europe, don't you care about your own country? Do you want us isolated and helpless? That is what Putin wants. He is moving troops into Venezuela while we are alienating our allies and reneging on our promises. What could go wrong?

Your a liberal? I see what you are doing. You simply oppose any Trump decision.
If Trump announced he was not going to withdraw troops, you would be first to denounce Trump as a dictator that occupies countries with their military.
Well if Putin is in deed moving troops to Venezuela, what are we doing in Germany?
I wouldn’t worry about Germany. We have 800 military stations in 70 countries.

Your a liberal? I see what you are doing. You simply oppose any Trump decision.
If Trump announced he was not going to withdraw troops, you would be first to denounce Trump as a dictator that occupies countries with their military.
Well if Putin is in deed moving troops to Venezuela, what are we doing in Germany?
I wouldn’t worry about Germany. We have 800 military stations in 70 countries.

I oppose Trump alienating and harassing our allies while he cozies up to murderous dictators. But that does not bother you because you like EVERYTHING Trump does like a good sycophant must. It's a requirement because Trump does not tolerate dissent. It does not surprise me that you do not know about Putin's takeover of Venezuela because Trump is silent about it and hopes no one notices. Now that Putin has a foothold in the America's I'm sure he will continue to expand his interests in this hemisphere too while he commands Trump to withdraw from the world. Who are our friends even now?

Russia sends troops to Venezuela, a move Pompeo says increases tensions

Last edited:
I oppose Trump alienating and harassing our allies while he cozies up to murderous dictators. But that does not bother you because you like EVERYTHING Trump does like a good sycophant must. It's a requirement because Trump does not tolerate dissent. It does not surprise me that you do not know about Putin's takeover of Venezuela because Trump is silent about it and hopes no one notices. Now that Putin has a foothold in the America's I'm sure he will continue to expand his interests in this hemisphere too while he commands Trump to withdraw from the world. Who are our friends even now?

Russia sends troops to Venezuela, a move Pompeo says increases tensions

Thank you for proving me right.

Talk about murderous dictators. You forgot to mention the cozy relationship between Obama and Castro, Rouhani and Maduro.
Top democrats such as Sanders, AOC, Gabbard and Omar support Maduro and denounce Trump’s support of the opposition to Maduro.
Are you sure you are a liberal or simply a hypocrite?

Do you support Trump in his opposition to Maduro or do you stand with fellow democrats?
I know I’m putting you on the spot. You don’t have to answer. Anyway I don’t expect an honest answer only a deflect.

let's see for a start Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Italy etc

The English bases are there because they can't stop kissing your arses

Germany, for many years, profited healthily from the US presence. But ok, I agree, we should mind our own business.

Back
Top Bottom