• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Saudi Arabia Preparing to Admit Khashoggi Was Killed: CNN

Who's 'we'? Don't include me in this 3 blind mice fairy tale of yours. Care to explain how all the cameras trained on every entrance and exit of that consulate 24/7 missed his leaving or why he would ditch his fiancee? For whom he had just traveled a few thousand miles. Just so he could get the paperwork he needed to marry her? You're not making sense.

We are the members of DP.

I have not seen the camera footage, nor has anyone I trust seen it and reported back to me, plus this is Turkey, any video might well have been altered by the Turks, especially given their record of bad behavior and as well their bad behavior here. Remember that Jamal might well have been in a scheme with the Turks, or a scheme with others that the Turks signed off on.

So I am supposed to believe that Jamal, a guy who travels the world and was increasingly radicalized would not travel a few thousand miles to carry out a scheme to sink the Saudi royal family who had rejected him?

As for the fiancee, if she was willing to marry him maybe she was also willing to lie for him.

You're not making sense

What do you think the larger issue is?

1. An allied nation expected to move forward has regressed in an unacceptable manner. This threatens our relationship. If they are not willing to move forward, as they've indicated and acted to some extent, the nature of our relationship changes.

2. Freedom of the press. You understand that's a pretty big issue, right? Like in many countries, that Putin guy... you know, right? You get that's a thing, don't you? Okay, so we're definitely counting that one.

3. He was a US resident. They are afforded all the Constitutional protections and duty of a citizen.

4. He worked for a US paper (so to speak). A journalist with a US news agency was assassinated. That's an issue in itself, everything else aside.

5. Back to 1., if Saudi is not taking the China route - slowly being dragged into the 20th century via economics and diplomacy... are they now a rogue nation? It's not just our relationship at stake, but Saudi's place in world development.

There's other stuff. To characterize the event as "just one dude" is pathetically small minded. It's worthy of banishment to the small table at Thanksgiving. It's head-in-sand stupid.

Source: (NYT) Saudi Arabia Preparing to Admit Khashoggi Was Killed: CNN

[I had to go with NYT even though CNN broke the story, because CNN does not have a dedicated print article available at the time of this post]

So! Thirteen days for the Saudis to admit Khashoggi died by their hands. And Trump is stilling spewing his "He told me he didn't do it" line; the same line he uses about Putin's election meddling.

Three weeks to the midterms, and now Trump's been fielded a political football. He's got a helluva' line to walk, with the country's - and his personal - business profits & interests at stake.

I thought Trump believed it was rogur agents. He made millions off the Saudis, we know what line he wanted us to believe.

Just a couple of weeks ago Trump said that Saudi Arabia "wouldn't last two weeks" without the support of the US

He's correct.

Sounds to me like Trump was saying that we are the ones on top in this relationship. Let's see him prove it then

You'd really risk a world crisis to avenge your Trump hate?
If so, says a lot about your priorities. :lol:

I thought Trump believed it was rogur agents. He made millions off the Saudis, we know what line he wanted us to believe.

Maybe it was that 400 pound guy that hacked into the DNC......Rogue agents?...In the Saudi embassy....Total Bull****

Maybe it was that 400 pound guy that hacked into the DNC......Rogue agents?...In the Saudi embassy....Total Bull****

I live and work in the KSA. I gaurantee this, this terrible crime was authorized by the upper echelons of the Saud family. Trump got played, first by the Saudis and then Sen Warren. Roll on the midterms !!

I feel for this mans family. From what I have learnt he was an upstanding guy, and a credit to his profession.

Last edited:
I live and work in the KSA. I gaurantee this, this terrible crime was authorized by the upper echelons of the Saud family. Trump got played, first by the Saudis and then Sen Warren. Roll on the midterms !!

The brazen arrogance of this murder speaks volumes...The Saudis feel they will suffer NO consequences from this brutal act under trump...Pathetic

Not really. We can't protect our citizens from each other. There's no realistic basis to expect protection from an unfriendly foreign government, especially if you're going to them.

But there's no rules at this level, so fine, let's call it an act of war and behave accordingly.

You think when the smoke clears from that (in another 20 years,) we're going to feel like we made a smart move starting a new war?

And if it's not war you want, name your demands. We can explore any ideas you may have.

Maybe you have a way for everyone in the world to finish up with a big smile, a $50 Amazon gift card, and a new puppy.

So we should spread the word to the Autocrats of the world that Americans, especially if they are journalists may be murdered without reprisal? I would rather we condemned the action by placing appropriate sanctions on the Saudi's until they admit the truth and take steps to prevent it in the future. Oh and the "arms deal" is off of course. What is so hard about that? Congress will have to step in if Trump won't. So....Do you feel lucky,punk? What's your "mushroom dicked genius" going to do?

Ha ha. We're going to find them in a hole in the dessert somewhere in Western KSA? I'm only half kidding. Likely as not no one in the West is going to hear from these guys. Maybe they're truly loyal to and trusted by MBS and will disappear, alive, to remote locales throughout the kingdom--God knows who will be imprisoned or executed in their place in that scenario.

Likely as not, however, they'll be given swift "justice." We know MBS wanted this guy's head. It's just too tough a sell that 15 officers were cleared to leave the country, enter Turkey, enter non-public spaces in the Embassy, etc without significant official cover. I know exactly how that works in our government and it requires authorization and signatures and a bunch of travel clearances and funding and hoop-jumping. The Saudi security establishment is nearly as sophisticated and bureaucratized as ours.

I live in the KSA, I totally agree. There is a reason why Saudi's live behind high walls and compounds. Its not to keep there neighbors from peering over, but to keep the governents eyes away. This is an absolute monarchy, and one step away from a police state. I have 6 month's left on my contract here. Then this gay American boy goes home.

So we should spread the word to the Autocrats of the world that Americans, especially if they are journalists may be murdered without reprisal? I would rather we condemned the action by placing appropriate sanctions on the Saudi's until they admit the truth and take steps to prevent it in the future. Oh and the "arms deal" is off of course. What is so hard about that? Congress will have to step in if Trump won't. So....Do you feel lucky,punk? What's your "mushroom dicked genius" going to do?

Good grief ... another believer of this an American got killed ...

I live in the KSA, I totally agree. There is a reason why Saudi's live behind high walls and compounds. Its not to keep there neighbors from peering over, but to keep the governents eyes away. This is an absolute monarchy, and one step away from a police state. I have 6 month's left on my contract here. Then this gay American boy goes home.

I know many Saudis (who are Shia) that have NO wish to ever return to that god forsaken state.....

The brazen arrogance of this murder speaks volumes...The Saudis feel they will suffer NO consequences from this brutal act under trump...Pathetic

Its one thing for this to occur on Saudi soil. But to go into a sovereign country with a hit team, lure this man into such a situation is terrible. It smacks of N Korea big time, except this time its a supposed ally.

And I always thought the high walls were to prevent other males casting eyes on females ... and for some protection from sand storms ...

Stay safe.

I know many Saudis (who are Shia) that have NO wish to ever return to that god forsaken state.....

Yes, I have many Saudi gay friends, they feel trapped here, always living in fear.

And I always thought the high walls were to prevent other males casting eyes on females ... and for some protection from sand storms ...

You clearly know nothing about Saudi Arabia or the Middle east...Stick to praising trump, and believing his lies that the Saudis are "friends" of America

Damn Yank, I hope the money's good. Because being gay in KSA does not sound like a fun experience. I've known Filipina women that have gone to KSA as overseas workers. One six month contract, and they were out of there never to return! They love Europe though ...

Good grief ... another believer of this an American got killed ...

Barnacle, they don't READ, they repeat leftist talking points.

Damn Yank, I hope the money's good. Because being gay in KSA does not sound like a fun experience. I've known Filipina women that have gone to KSA as overseas workers. One six month contract, and they were out of there never to return! They love Europe though ...

Yes the money is fantastic, and my skills are hard to come by. I am cashing in, but have very little social life.

Many Saudi exiles live in London......Happy to be free of the oppressive regime...Supported with US dollars and US weapons

1. An allied nation expected to move forward has regressed in an unacceptable manner. This threatens our relationship. If they are not willing to move forward, as they've indicated and acted to some extent, the nature of our relationship changes.

They are the biggest sponsor of terrorism in the world. They are one of the most oppressive governments in the world. They are currently committing war crimes in Yemen. This really shouldn't be the thing that jeopardized our relationship. It should never have been so good in the first place. Our relationship with them puts the lie to our outward face of caring anything about human rights.

2. Freedom of the press. You understand that's a pretty big issue, right? Like in many countries, that Putin guy... you know, right? You get that's a thing, don't you? Okay, so we're definitely counting that one.

I don't think this really had anything to do with freedom of the press. It had to do with him be a Saudi Arabian dissident. There are tons of press personnel that are critical of SA but they aren't on the hit-list. I compare this more like the assassination attempt on the UK, it's political.

3. He was a US resident. They are afforded all the Constitutional protections and duty of a citizen.

While I do put the rights of our own citizens on a higher priority, it still strains credulity to have outrage over a single person over the mass suffering of millions of others.

4. He worked for a US paper (so to speak). A journalist with a US news agency was assassinated. That's an issue in itself, everything else aside.

This is basically a repeat of previous points.

5. Back to 1., if Saudi is not taking the China route - slowly being dragged into the 20th century via economics and diplomacy... are they now a rogue nation? It's not just our relationship at stake, but Saudi's place in world development.

They always have been a rogue nation, a terrorist nation, a nation that exports extremism.

I live for my twice a year vacations. In Dec two weeks at Disney with my partner, doing the happy dance.:2wave:

Yes the money is fantastic, and my skills are hard to come by. I am cashing in, but have very little social life.
Yeah, but think of all the fun socializing you can do with all that money when you're back at home! :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom