• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Saudi Arabia Preparing to Admit Khashoggi Was Killed: CNN

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
WASHINGTON — Saudi Arabia is preparing a report that would admit Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed as the result of an interrogation that went wrong, CNN reported on Monday, citing two unnamed sources.

One source cautioned that the report was still being prepared and could change, CNN said. The other source said the report would likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and that those involved will be held responsible, the cable news outlet said.

Source: (NYT) Saudi Arabia Preparing to Admit Khashoggi Was Killed: CNN

[I had to go with NYT even though CNN broke the story, because CNN does not have a dedicated print article available at the time of this post]

So! Thirteen days for the Saudis to admit Khashoggi died by their hands. And Trump is stilling spewing his "He told me he didn't do it" line; the same line he uses about Putin's election meddling.

Three weeks to the midterms, and now Trump's been fielded a political football. He's got a helluva' line to walk, with the country's - and his personal - business profits & interests at stake.

They must have finally found out that it won't really impact them.

The interrogation team must be a little rattled about now.......big old bus heading down the road....

The Saudis need to be punished hard. Trump now has to carry through with his remarks that they would face severe consequences if they did it.

They must have finally found out that it won't really impact them.
You lost me, here.

But I believe they (Saudis) fashioned that line with Trump, because he's been promoting the "rogue group" theory all morning.

I hope Trump gets a little crazy (against Saudi) over this. The assassination of Americans cannot be tolerated.

[I had to go with NYT even though CNN broke the story, because CNN does not have a dedicated print article available at the time of this post]

So! Thirteen days for the Saudis to admit Khashoggi died by their hands. And Trump is stilling spewing his "He told me he didn't do it" line; the same line he uses about Putin's election meddling.

Three weeks to the midterms, and now Trump's been fielded a political football. He's got a helluva' line to walk, with the country's - and his personal - business profits & interests at stake.

That is what I called - Thing is we shall see what they mean by who and held accountable.
Rogue operation gone wrong was their only way out. Should have done that within days- now who believes this crap.

The Saudis need to be punished hard. Trump now has to carry through with his remarks that they would face severe consequences if they did it.
But Trump just said the Crown Prince told him he didn't do it. Just like Putin.

I think this is going to be a mess, but look for Trump's and the defense contractors financial interests to supersede any other interests, ethical, moral, patriotic, or otherwise. That is, unless the political backlash looks to threaten them at the ballot box.

That is what I called - Thing is we shall see what they mean by who and held accountable.
Rogue operation gone wrong was their only way out. Should have done that within days- now who believes this crap.

Doesn’t matter “money talks and bull**** walks!”

I hope Trump gets a little crazy (against Saudi) over this. The assassination of Americans cannot be tolerated.
I don't see him going against his own and his billionaire bro's financial interests. Unless the politics turn strongly against them.

You do know that will never happen. That is about as likely as Trump giving the million to charity he promised for Warren's DNA test. Zero. Congress may have other ideas though it will be interesting to see if they grow a pair for this issue.

I don't see him going against his own and his billionaire bro's financial interests. Unless the politics turn strongly against them.

He might get a patriotic itch and go overboard a little. I'd like that.

Trump will sell it, and the GOP rank & file will believe it. They stood behind him in Helsinki, when he stood for Putin over American intelligence.

I believe our intelligence agencies have evidence of the plot to lure him out of the US and the "rogues" all work for the Crown Prince.

On Thursday, a US official familiar with the intelligence told CNN that the United States had intercepts of Saudi officials discussing a plan to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia and detain him.

https://www.kdrv.com/content/national/497415471.html

Last edited:
You lost me, here.

But I believe they (Saudis) fashioned that line with Trump, because he's been promoting the "rogue group" theory all morning.

I agree with you. I think they felt the need to lie initially because they were concerned it could affect their financial relationship with the United States. This version of the truth should leave them in the clear.

That Saudi Arabia wasn't also on the "Muslim" ban that Trump initiated was my only issue with it.

I don't know why for the life of me that we continue to treat Saudi Arabia as an ally. They aren't. They never were.

You don't believe it because you don't want to believe it.
What's Trump supposed to do? Call the Saudi King a liar and risk an economic crisis for the entire world?

Trump will sell it, and the GOP rank & file will believe it. They stood behind him in Helsinki, when he stood for Putin over American intelligence.

Sold their souls and the Country over Party allegiance

America > His money?

No way!

We just gotta get his base to gas him up. Side with them, for a little while, about Saudi being bad. Something like this, "brown people are assassinating Americans!" We could say "white Americans" if you think that would help.

Last edited:
You do know that will never happen. That is about as likely as Trump giving the million to charity he promised for Warren's DNA test. Zero. Congress may have other ideas though it will be interesting to see if they grow a pair for this issue.

Im counting on Trump to be a man of his word. He said he would get tough with North Korea and he did, so I hope the same thing happens here. Not holding my breath though.

I started one as well, this is amazing news and does nothing but hand a political mess to Trump during a time where he has plenty else to deal with.

The fallout will rattle the markets no matter what Trump does or does not do.

(Mods - can we merge these? We are more or less talking about the same event the same way.)

You don't believe it because you don't want to believe it.
What's Trump supposed to do? Call the Saudi King a liar and risk an economic crisis for the entire world?

You believe it because...........idk!

I believe our intelligence agencies have evidence of the plot to lure him out of the US and the "rogues" all work for the Crown Prince.

This did not happen without MBS signing off on the murder. Now they will round up some sacrificial lambs, perhaps even a crucifixion, yes they still do that along with be headings and hangings.

Lets also wait and see about Lindsey Grahams comments of if this happened, "there will be hell to pay."

Back
Top Bottom