• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rob Reiner's film panicking about Christian nationalism warrants Oscar for religiophobia

Watched the trailer isn’t it about 20 years out of date ? Don’t polls show a decline of Christianity in America ?
Yes but there is a rise in Christian Nationalism in the remaining "believers". Many of them want religion back in schools too. They believe they can brainwash our children into fearing God. That is what this is about using fear to manipulate people.

If you actually read my posts above, you would know that I am dead against Christian nationalism and I've stated such in multiple posts. If you are looking to pick a fight with someone on the subject. pick someone on the other team, ok?

But I will say this, you are painting Christians with a very broad brush. And this is an error on your part. I know plenty of Christians that want absolutely no part of a theocracy.
My first word was "Agree". I was simply adding my take on tthe subject. Also, I wasn't accusing all Christians with the anti-social behavior of the conservative Christians They have illegitimately appropriated the word 'Christian' to mean their brand of religion which is antithetical to everything Jesus was trying to tell people.

This is the trailer from the film. I don't find any fault with it. There is separaton of church and country and it should remain like that.
I am a Christian but certainly not a Christian Nationalist. The representative people I have seen/heard that claim they are Christian nationalists are not how I believe or learned about religion. Nor would the Jesus I learned about behave so poorly. jjmho

From director Dan Partland and producer Rob Reiner, GOD & COUNTRY looks at theimplications of Christian Nationalism and how it distorts not only our constitutional republic, but Christianity itself. Featuring prominent Christian thought leaders, GOD &COUNTRY asks this question: What happens when a faith built on love, sacrifice, and forgiveness grows political tentacles, conflating power, money, and belief into hyper-nationalism?

Directed by Dan Partland. Produced by Rob & Michele Reiner.Learn more about God & Country -

https://godandcountrythemovie.com/

My first word was "Agree". I was simply adding my take on tthe subject. Also, I wasn't accusing all Christians with the anti-social behavior of the conservative Christians They have illegitimately appropriated the word 'Christian' to mean their brand of religion which is antithetical to everything Jesus was trying to tell people.
Which is why they follow the antichrist who is Trump.

FzCSWouWYAAl9kK.jpg

Not gonna go line for line. Like I said, people have the right to believe what they want. I do notice that atheists like you , although in the teeny tiny minority in this country, are awfully touchy when someone who believes makes their case. Why is that?
Assumes facts not in evidence. I am not an atheist.
Apparently you think you're smarter then the wide majority of Americans that view things differently.
?? I know what I know, if that's what you mean. Apparently you're under the misapprehension that you represent the views of "the wide majority of Americans" - as if that had any meaning whatsoever. We don't have to go back too far into history to remember many of the absolutely ridiculous things that "the wide majority of Americans" held the view of - until advancements in science eventually proved how foolish those beliefs were. Libraries are brimming with books about mankind's fallacies. You should look them up sometime.

You live in a country where 12 million Americans believe that lizard people run the US government. Hell, there's a significant number of Americans who believe that dinosaurs coexisted with humans - but the educated among us recognize that The Flintstone's caroon was not a documentary.
But I stand by my statements. "Poof" defies every law of physics. In other words CAN'T happen.
No different than buying into a creator who comes from "poof". What's the difference?
And 2. The trillions of miracles that happen every day as it relates to biology also still stands. An example of that. A zygote upon conception, will split/divided for nine months over and over again millions of times over nine months to form 2 arms 2 legs, 2 kidneys, and a beating heart that in part runs and operates with electrical stimuli along with an infinite number of other incredible organs Not to ignore a complex computer that sits above the neck., operated not by electrical impulse and man made parts, but blood and neurons. Yeah I'm sure all that is pure luck and happenstance, huh? Give me a break.
Biology is not miraculous unless you're willing to completely cheapen the meaning of a miracle, rendering it all but useless as a distinction. Miracles defy natural law - biology adheres to natural law. Period. No amount of recitation of the specifics of biological complexity can change that. If something is commonplace, it is not miraculous.

Your argument, boiled down to it's essence, is merely a denial of human evolution, which is simply the very logical extension of the evolution of all life on Earth. You seem to want to argue against physics being base on "poof", while you then attempt to defend life itself coming from "poof". How silly is that?

You should examine your beliefs more closely.

Assumes facts not in evidence. I am not an atheist.

?? I know what I know, if that's what you mean. Apparently you're under the misapprehension that you represent the views of "the wide majority of Americans" - as if that had any meaning whatsoever. We don't have to go back too far into history to remember many of the absolutely ridiculous things that "the wide majority of Americans" held the view of - until advancements in science eventually proved how foolish those beliefs were. Libraries are brimming with books about mankind's fallacies. You should look them up sometime.

You live in a country where 12 million Americans believe that lizard people run the US government. Hell, there's a significant number of Americans who believe that dinosaurs coexisted with humans - but the educated among us recognize that The Flintstone's caroon was not a documentary.

No different than buying into a creator who comes from "poof". What's the difference?

Biology is not miraculous unless you're willing to completely cheapen the meaning of a miracle, rendering it all but useless as a distinction. Miracles defy natural law - biology adheres to natural law. Period. No amount of recitation of the specifics of biological complexity can change that. If something is commonplace, it is not miraculous.

Your argument, boiled down to it's essence, is merely a denial of human evolution, which is simply the very logical extension of the evolution of all life on Earth. You seem to want to argue against physics being base on "poof", while you then attempt to defend life itself coming from "poof". How silly is that?

You should examine your beliefs more closely.
I get it dude. Elizabeth Montgomery twitched her nose and poof here we are. And don't you dare tell me or anyone else for that matter to "examine my beliefs". Who the **** are you? Atheists such as yourself make up only 15% of our population. Yet here you are telling me that your beliefs are the be all and end all. Go tell your story to someone else. Because I have no interest in your bullshit theories.

I'm a practicing Christian and my faith is very important to me. What Meathead is saying is spot on. You might want to review Project 2025. That 83% of Evangelical Christians support Trump, the AntiChrist, is really a sad,sad commentary.
I also am a practicing Christian. My faith is very important to me as well (it is me). I echo Hairy's comments. What we are witnessing here, which has been witnessed many, many times before in human history and since the founding of the Church, is the corruption of the Church (and our government) by men that have tasted secular power and can not get enough. Whenever, in human history, the church or the state get too close to one another, it ends up corrupting both church and state, resulting in each being weakened.

There is a very strong argument that Trump is the anti-christ; but even if not, he is evil enough that the church should be shunning him, not embracing him. They so at the peril of church and state. God has told us what he detests; Trump is all of these:

Prob 6:19-19. 16 There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.
Why are Christians not listening? Likely because most Christians have about as much understanding of the teachings of Christ (I know that above is Proverbs) as they do world and American history. They are ignorant.

Last edited:
I also am a practicing Christian. My faith is very important to me as well (it is me). I echo Hairy's comments. What we are witnessing here, which has been witnessed many, many times before in human history and since the founding of the Church, is the corruption of the Church (and our government) by men that have tasted secular power and can not get enough. Whenever, in human history, the church or the state get too close to one another, it ends up corrupting both church and state, resulting in each being weakened.

There is a very strong argument that Trump is the anti-christ; but even if not, he is evil enough that the church should be shunning him, not embracing him. They so at the peril of church and state.

God has told us what he detests; Trump is all of these:
Thank you for posting. And if I've offended my liberal buddies here on this thread, so be it.

Thank you for posting. And if I've offended my liberal buddies here on this thread, so be it.
I for one am not offended. Aspiring to actually live by the precepts of Christ is all upside and no downside. I really think WWJD is an excellent question to ask oneself often, Christian or not. What would Mr. Rogers do? is another good one😃

Right wingers crying about accurate reporting, as usual.

We don't need the media to point out who the Christian Nationalists are and what they're doing. The Christian Nationalists are TELLING US WHO THEY ARE.

Of course, like the dishonest and cowardly ****s that most of them are, they have the audacity to spout mountains of evil, garbage rhetoric, then turn around and say, "who, me? Christian Nationalist? That's ReLiGiOpHoBiA"

Watching now. I’ll post a critique in a couple hours.
It’s a solid documentary. It’s not anti-Christian at all, just anti-Christian nationalist. There are a bunch of conservative Christians who speak out against the hijacking of Christian values by a nationalist political agenda. There are also historians that go through the history of Christian nationalism. Much of its modern roots are based in the desegregation of schools and the belief that persists among some who believe America is for white people to the exclusion of others who aren’t white.

MAGA and Trump just tapped into this coalition of shame and captured it. It’s really a sad sad legacy of the confederacy.

Christian nationalism!! white supremecy nationalism! only the left views nationalism as a threat
The description for the documentary states that the film "looks at the implications of Christian Nationalism and how it distorts not only our constitutional republic, but Christianity itself." The summary also noted that the film features "prominent Christian thought leaders" and "asks this question: What happens when a faith built on love, sacrifice, and forgiveness grows political tentacles, conflating power, money, and belief into hyper-nationalism?"

"’God and Country’ is about an alleged threat to American democracy posed by so-called Christian nationalists. The Meathead would have the audience believe that we are on the verge of a theocratic takeover, though few outside of Hollywood and other secular subcultures pay any attention to this fable."

The Catholic civil rights leader also argued that the Founding Fathers "did not want the establishment of a Christian nation, but it is also true that they recognized, and indeed applauded, the founding of a Christian-inspired nation."

"Here’s the good news. ‘God and Country’ is a bomb," Donohue wrote. "It took in a whopping $38,415 in its first weekend—over four-days—playing in 85 theaters. As one movie critic put it, this means it averaged $451 per theater, a stunning achievement, even for the Meathead."

The Christian Post, also shredded the film.

"The premise of the film is schizophrenic, demonizing Christians with inflammatory insinuations that invoke the Third Reich, while at the same time deriding them for having a persecution complex because they fear a growing cultural hostility."
Wtf? How can people like you in a democracy argue for theocracy???

Nationalism begins with a conservative political group taking on the trappings of a religion and using the tenets of that religion to assign dangerous immorality to a specific group and encourage the population to denigrate that group. Hatred unifies. It confers political power. It can deny the rights and freedoms of the immoral group. The religious conservatives of the Supreme Court have done just.
few countries can pull of a multi-racial society. after the Civil War we codified equality of all people, and blacks bacame to mainstream - but in some cases like black colleges and society blacks didn't need to "fit in" to white society.

It was chosen separation -not forced. there IS NO MORE forced separated society. No "Christian nationals" or any others
LIke I mentioned it's not easy to accomplish ( we do it because we all have common goals and America allows their 'pursuit of happiness')

There is no hate driven political power epicenter in this country, despite how you want to characterize Deplorables.
Whites/Christian/Nationalist ( including basic economic nationalism) isn't a threat to anyone in today's USA

I get it dude. Elizabeth Montgomery twitched her nose and poof here we are. And don't you dare tell me or anyone else for that matter to "examine my beliefs". Who the **** are you? Atheists such as yourself make up only 15% of our population. Yet here you are telling me that your beliefs are the be all and end all. Go tell your story to someone else. Because I have no interest in your bullshit theories.
I'm still not an atheist - but feel free to indulge your fantasy.
As for twitching her nose and "poof", that's exactly what YOU think YOUR god did - so WTF are you talking about?

Yeah ... I am suggesting you examine your beliefs. They certainly don't seem to be supporting your argument here, and you already know they don't make any sense. But hey .... good luck with them.

As far as my "bullshit theories", pardon me if I elect to adhere to observable reality. It has just always seemed easier to believe in.

Christian nationalism!! white supremecy nationalism! only the left views nationalism as a threat
The description for the documentary states that the film "looks at the implications of Christian Nationalism and how it distorts not only our constitutional republic, but Christianity itself." The summary also noted that the film features "prominent Christian thought leaders" and "asks this question: What happens when a faith built on love, sacrifice, and forgiveness grows political tentacles, conflating power, money, and belief into hyper-nationalism?"

"’God and Country’ is about an alleged threat to American democracy posed by so-called Christian nationalists. The Meathead would have the audience believe that we are on the verge of a theocratic takeover, though few outside of Hollywood and other secular subcultures pay any attention to this fable."

The Catholic civil rights leader also argued that the Founding Fathers "did not want the establishment of a Christian nation, but it is also true that they recognized, and indeed applauded, the founding of a Christian-inspired nation."

"Here’s the good news. ‘God and Country’ is a bomb," Donohue wrote. "It took in a whopping $38,415 in its first weekend—over four-days—playing in 85 theaters. As one movie critic put it, this means it averaged $451 per theater, a stunning achievement, even for the Meathead."

The Christian Post, also shredded the film.

"The premise of the film is schizophrenic, demonizing Christians with inflammatory insinuations that invoke the Third Reich, while at the same time deriding them for having a persecution complex because they fear a growing cultural hostility."
Who cares what pedo Hollywood says?

few countries can pull of a multi-racial society.
Several have pulled it off better than we have. Ever been to Toronto or Bradford In Yorkshire?

after the Civil War we codified equality of all people, and blacks bacame to mainstream - but in some cases like black colleges and society blacks didn't need to "fit in" to white society.It was chosen separation -not forced.
How interesting.
there IS NO MORE forced separated society.
Really? Ever see Cabrini-Green before it had to be torn down?Wh
No "Christian nationals" or any others
Another, oh really
LIke I mentioned it's not easy to accomplish ( we do it because we all have common goals and America allows their 'pursuit of happiness')
Allows? Like we'll allow you to stay in white motels now, but hang on to your Green Book just in case. That kind of allow?
There is no hate driven political power epicenter in this country, despite how you want to characterize Deplorables.
Whites/Christian/Nationalist ( including basic economic nationalism) isn't a threat to anyone in today's USA
I'm so relieved you've straightened out everything and we're living in the best of all possible worlds. What was that you said about 'allow'?

Back
Top Bottom