• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rob Reiner's film panicking about Christian nationalism warrants Oscar for religiophobia

the solution is to follow the 1st amendment, which allows for organized religion free from government interference
or political blacklisting
...and expects religion to stay away from politics. The separation of church and state is designed to protect each. As history as shown us over a few millennia, when one becomes to entangled in the other, each become corrupted. Its unfortunate that too many evangelical leaders have sniffed political power and find it intoxicating. It is only hurting the church.

So, you don't see Donald J Trump as a "mainstream person"
God's Blessings are not a "mandate", it's an uplifting hope / not "God's Will" ( as is said in Islam like "it is written")

religiphobia!! Russiaphobia! - and the Big One - Nationalism!!!!! (Christian/white/whatever)
I'm a practicing Christian and my faith is very important to me. What Meathead is saying is spot on. You might want to review Project 2025. That 83% of Evangelical Christians support Trump, the AntiChrist, is really a sad,sad commentary.

Revealed: documents shed light on shadowy US far-right fraternal order​

New documents detail inner workings of Society for American Civic Renewal, group with an emphasis on Christian nationalism

New documents have shed light on the origins and inner workings of the shadowy Society for American Civic Renewal (SACR), including methods for judging the beliefs of potential members on topics such as Christian nationalism, and indications that its founders sought inspiration in an apartheid-era South African white men-only group, the Afrikaner-Broederbond.

They also show that Boise State University Professor and Claremont thinktank scholar Scott Yenor tried to coordinate SACR’s activities with other initiatives, including an open letter on “Christian marriage”.

One expert says that one of the new documents – some previously reported in Talking Points Memo – use biblical references that suggest a preparedness for violent struggle against the current “regime”.

The SACR is a secretive far-right men-only organization with an emphasis on Christian nationalism and a desire to open branches across the US.

The Guardian has previously reported on SACR’s close links to the Claremont Institute, an influential rightwing thinktank with fellows who have participated in attempts to overturn the 2020 election and promoted the idea that an authoritarian “Red Caesar” might redeem a US republic they see as decadent.

SACR’s origins appear to date to the latter half of 2020, with key milestones in the group’s development coming over the following 18 months.

And there are indications that the inner circle of the group sought inspiration from earlier iterations of Christian nationalism in authoritarian states.

Read more:

Christian nationalism!! white supremecy nationalism! only the left views nationalism as a threat
The description for the documentary states that the film "looks at the implications of Christian Nationalism and how it distorts not only our constitutional republic, but Christianity itself." The summary also noted that the film features "prominent Christian thought leaders" and "asks this question: What happens when a faith built on love, sacrifice, and forgiveness grows political tentacles, conflating power, money, and belief into hyper-nationalism?"

"’God and Country’ is about an alleged threat to American democracy posed by so-called Christian nationalists. The Meathead would have the audience believe that we are on the verge of a theocratic takeover, though few outside of Hollywood and other secular subcultures pay any attention to this fable."

The Catholic civil rights leader also argued that the Founding Fathers "did not want the establishment of a Christian nation, but it is also true that they recognized, and indeed applauded, the founding of a Christian-inspired nation."

"Here’s the good news. ‘God and Country’ is a bomb," Donohue wrote. "It took in a whopping $38,415 in its first weekend—over four-days—playing in 85 theaters. As one movie critic put it, this means it averaged $451 per theater, a stunning achievement, even for the Meathead."

The Christian Post, also shredded the film.

"The premise of the film is schizophrenic, demonizing Christians with inflammatory insinuations that invoke the Third Reich, while at the same time deriding them for having a persecution complex because they fear a growing cultural hostility."
"...though few outside of Hollywood and other secular subcultures pay any attention to this fable."

Really?
"In order to understand what led to the deadly Capitol insurrection and the spate of proposed voting laws we must account for the influence of Christian nationalism, a political theology that fuses American identity with an ultra-conservative strain of Christianity. But this Christianity is something more than the orthodox Christianity of ancient creeds; it is more of an ethnic Christian-ism. In its most extreme form it legitimizes the type of violence we saw on Jan. 6 and the recent flood of voting restrictions. Violence and legislation not in service of democracy, but instead for fundamentally anti-democratic goals."

"The rising influence of white Christian nationalism in some circles of American politics is posing a major threat to the health of our democracy and our culture. A new PRRI/Brookings survey of more than 6,000 Americans takes a closer look at the underpinnings of white Christian nationalism, providing new measures to estimate the proportion of Americans who adhere to and reject Christian nationalist ideology."
https://www.brookings.edu/events/un...tian-nationalism-to-american-democracy-today/

Islam has done the same. we are talking about contemporary America and our Bill of Rights
I also mentioned national;ism = perfectly acceptable and used by most nations

Nationalism begins with a conservative political group taking on the trappings of a religion and using the tenets of that religion to assign dangerous immorality to a specific group and encourage the population to denigrate that group. Hatred unifies. It confers political power. It can deny the rights and freedoms of the immoral group. The religious conservatives of the Supreme Court have done just.

Last edited:
....... " The summary also noted that the film features "prominent Christian thought leaders" and "asks this question: What happens when a faith built on love, sacrifice, and forgiveness grows political tentacles, conflating power, money, and belief into hyper-nationalism?"
"’God and Country’ is about an alleged threat to American democracy posed by so-called Christian nationalists.
Alleged?

" We are no longer working to preserve the status quo. We are radicals, working to overturn the present power structure of this country."
“When political power is achieved, the moral majority will have the opportunity to re-create this great nation.” ..... "We are talking about Christianizing America. We are talking about the Gospel in a political context." Paul Weyrich 1979 the founder of the conservative Christian political movement.With funding from Scaife and Coors he founded the Heritage Foundation, The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)

“Government is a gift from God for the common good. Good governance creates the conditions in which human beings fulfill their responsibilities as God’s image bearers and as stewards of God’s creation.” (Mission statement of the National Association of Evangelicals)

"God has ordained all social institutions, including the government, for the benefit of mankind and as a reflection of His divine nature. The Supreme Court's imposition of the doctrine of separation of church and state distorts the Founding Father's recognition of our unequivocally Christian nation......" Focus on the Family”position statement on Church and State)

"According to the Biblical Christian worldview, human government was instituted by God to protect our unalienable rights....." All About GOD Ministries, Inc

"it is up to Christians to restore once again to America a biblically based legal system that protects all human life from conception to natural death,” Family Research Council's Cultural Impact Team Manual

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party .... it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them." Goldwater ,1981, Speech in the US Senate

Alleged?

" We are no longer working to preserve the status quo. We are radicals, working to overturn the present power structure of this country."
“When political power is achieved, the moral majority will have the opportunity to re-create this great nation.” ..... "We are talking about Christianizing America. We are talking about the Gospel in a political context." Paul Weyrich 1979 the founder of the conservative Christian political movement.With funding from Scaife and Coors he founded the Heritage Foundation, The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)

“Government is a gift from God for the common good. Good governance creates the conditions in which human beings fulfill their responsibilities as God’s image bearers and as stewards of God’s creation.” (Mission statement of the National Association of Evangelicals)

"God has ordained all social institutions, including the government, for the benefit of mankind and as a reflection of His divine nature. The Supreme Court's imposition of the doctrine of separation of church and state distorts the Founding Father's recognition of our unequivocally Christian nation......" Focus on the Family”position statement on Church and State)

"According to the Biblical Christian worldview, human government was instituted by God to protect our unalienable rights....." All About GOD Ministries, Inc

"it is up to Christians to restore once again to America a biblically based legal system that protects all human life from conception to natural death,” Family Research Council's Cultural Impact Team Manual

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party .... it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them." Goldwater ,1981, Speech in the US Senate
+1

I remember sitting through a public school board meeting with a friend in New Jersey nearly 20 years ago. The board was being overtaken by a "Dominionist" christian cult, who outright believe that LYING is a perfectly acceptable tactic in pursuit of their Talibangelical goals. They already had a majority seated on the board, and were voting for yet another.

Even well intentioned christian americans have no idea how dangerous this is.

Even well intentioned christian americans have no idea how dangerous this is.
There is no restraint built into a group that believes they are directed by God. No matter how controlling or violent their actions become God is directing them. To question God is impossible.

The restraints that limit violence also limit freedom but people with integrity willing to create a government that limits the power of a few to control the lives of the many gives all an equal right to a freedom that is impossible in a world directed by God and without a government.

There is no restraint built into a group that believes they are directed by God. No matter how controlling or violent their actions become God is directing them. To question God is impossible.

The restraints that limit violence also limit freedom but people with integrity willing to create a government that limits the power of a few to control the lives of the many gives all an equal right to a freedom that is impossible in a world directed by God and without a government.
The bottom line is that the forefathers made it clear that there must be a separation between church and state. Most of those that wrote the Constitution escaped the wrath of a theocracy I.e. the Anglican Church in England and these forefathers did not want a similar problem in this new founded country. The Heritage Foundation via the Project 2025 is literally attempting to shit can the Constitution. Not that it matters, but many of these forefathers were deists.

Nationalist ideologies don't work given the dollar used as a global reserve currency.

how about Buddhism? no gods involved. I practice Buddhism as a philosophy of human living, but i cling to revealed religious concepts of salavation.. I dont advocate laws based on compassion or salvation, but we have done so in US history
Paying lip service to any religion is just more fooling ourselves into believing we’re doing some good, either for ourselves or others. So for me it follows that defending a bunch of people who are essentially lying to themselves and by extension (or literally) to others in defense of their lies is just political nonsense—which is inherently a divisive pursuit, and counterproductive to the peace and cooperation of civilizations.

the solution is to follow the 1st amendment, which allows for organized religion free from government interference
or political blacklisting
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Organized religion is free from government interference but, " free exercise" doesn't mean religion is free to interfere with government. They are tax exempt as long as they they honor the first amendment.

I think Christianity is kind of silly. The creator gets a girl pregnant and their baby is the only way sin-debt and death can be defeated, weird sort of batshit - but only if the god-man consents to be a human sacrifice that his own mother is doomed to witness. Like, it's ... a strange creed; and this within a contemporaneous mythic environment where Zeus is already becoming a sex bull and Ahura Mazda literally emanates truth and virtue but can't defeat lies; where high civilizations worship cat and crocodile hybrids, and Maenads do religion by tearing hapless strangers into cannibal feasts.

I don't get it, but I get that fiddling with these beliefs makes people genuinely happy, and if I can tolerate Swifties, or Crossfit, or quilters, or homeopaths, or K-pop fanboys, or evangelical vegans, I certainly have room in my heart for the freedom to worship a kindness demi-god who really doesn't like rich people or casks of water that should be wine.

So, that all written out, the problem isn't dodgy beliefs about unprovable suppositions. It doesn't matter if people are right or wrong about resurrection, or bread becoming godling skin after a guy in a dress mutters over it.

The problem is Leviathan, specifically, the power of life and death. The power to decide how others must live or have to die.

It's already a terrible power, without adding in any number of undemonstrable notions about metempsychosis, karma, sin, blood debt, salvation or the right (so-called) way to be human, to have sex, to be happy, to express desire, experience traits, or to raise babies.

The underlying, truly revolutionary assumptions of basic, bedrock liberalism is that Leviathan is a terrible arbiter of how to live. The state is great for fielding armies, building roads, regulating meaurements, normalizing an exchange commodity, or maintaining ports - and it's a great instrument for a host of terrible things, as well, like protecting slavery, suppressing a yearning to be free, funding genocide and surveilling and punishing dissidents.

But, it's really, really bad at producing uniformity of belief. All states are always lousy with discontent, because the human animal is only temporarily happy, and all people, even the most broken, or forgettable, or forgotten, are unique, occupying irreducible, utterly distinct nodes of perspective that are likely never to ne repeated.

This condition is ineluctable. It cannot be overcome. Even perfectly identical clones will diverge in experience because no two bodies can ever share an exact, flawless, perfectly commensurate or fungible perspective.

So. The Christianists will try. And they are probably going to hurt a lot of people trying to use Leviathan to make people act like they believe. Real hurt. Real bodies with only one demonstrated chance at life, ruined to make believers feel good about their beliefs.

But, they are doomed. Because they cannot alter the physics and chemistry of our unique solitude as separate persons. And that is not nothing.

It would be awesome if we can stop them from seizing the state; but if we fail, at least we can know they are as destined to defeat as every other zealot in history. It's no consolation, for sure, but knowing this, we know how to eventually win against them.

Which is this: persist; hold on; hold on holding on; and keep doing difference. Just refusing to surrender won't empty their accounts or break up their networks, but it will show that they cannot win.

And that is much more than nothing. It's the
thing itself - human liberty.

I think Christianity is kind of silly. The creator gets a girl pregnant and their baby is the only way sin-debt and death can be defeated, weird sort of batshit - but only if the god-man consents to be a human sacrifice that his own mother is doomed to witness. Like, it's ... a strange creed; and this within a contemporaneous mythic environment where Zeus is already becoming a sex bull and Ahura Mazda literally emanates truth and virtue but can't defeat lies; where high civilizations worship cat and crocodile hybrids, and Maenads do religion by tearing hapless strangers into cannibal feasts.

I don't get it, but I get that fiddling with these beliefs makes people genuinely happy, and if I can tolerate Swifties, or Crossfit, or quilters, or homeopaths, or K-pop fanboys, or evangelical vegans, I certainly have room in my heart for the freedom to worship a kindness demi-god who really doesn't like rich people or casks of water that should be wine.

So, that all written out, the problem isn't dodgy beliefs about unprovable suppositions. It doesn't matter if people are right or wrong about resurrection, or bread becoming godling skin after a guy in a dress mutters over it.

The problem is Leviathan, specifically, the power of life and death. The power to decide how others must live or have to die.

It's already a terrible power, without adding in any number of undemonstrable notions about metempsychosis, karma, sin, blood debt, salvation or the right (so-called) way to be human, to have sex, to be happy, to express desire, experience traits, or to raise babies.

The underlying, truly revolutionary assumptions of basic, bedrock liberalism is that Leviathan is a terrible arbiter of how to live. The state is great for fielding armies, building roads, regulating meaurements, normalizing an exchange commodity, or maintaining ports - and it's a great instrument for a host of terrible things, as well, like protecting slavery, suppressing a yearning to be free, funding genocide and surveilling and punishing dissidents.

But, it's really, really bad at producing uniformity of belief. All states are always lousy with discontent, because the human animal is only temporarily happy, and all people, even the most broken, or forgettable, or forgotten, are unique, occupying irreducible, utterly distinct nodes of perspective that are likely never to ne repeated.

This condition is ineluctable. It cannot be overcome. Even perfectly identical clones will diverge in experience because no two bodies can ever share an exact, flawless, perfectly commensurate or fungible perspective.

So. The Christianists will try. And they are probably going to hurt a lot of people trying to use Leviathan to make people act like they believe. Real hurt. Real bodies with only one demonstrated chance at life, ruined to make believers feel good about their beliefs.

But, they are doomed. Because they cannot alter the physics and chemistry of our unique solitude as separate persons. And that is not nothing.

It would be awesome if we can stop them from seizing the state; but if we fail, at least we can know they are as destined to defeat as every other zealot in history. It's no consolation, for sure, but knowing this, we know how to eventually win against them.

Which is this: persist; hold on; hold on holding on; and keep doing difference. Just refusing to surrender won't empty their accounts or break up their networks, but it will show that they cannot win.

It's not so easy to be philosophical about religious meddling in government if you are a woman and Christians, with victorious smirks, are saying to you. "We won, we won, we control your pregnancy"

It's much easier to explain the existence of a creator than it is to to explain how the universe got here by "poof".. Nothing could exist if you follow the laws of physics. And then of course the trillions of miracles that happen every day regarding biology. But I digress. Everyone should be allowed to believe what they want to believe.

It's much easier to explain the existence of a creator than it is to to explain how the universe got here by "poof"..
Apparently not. The universe "poof" is absolutely no different than the creator "poof".
Nothing could exist if you follow the laws of physics.
And yet everything does, despite the fact that we're a long way from knowing all the laws of physics. In fact, we've only just begun learning all the laws of physics.
And then of course the trillions of miracles that happen every day regarding biology.
There are absolutely none. Life that follows the laws of biology are not miracles - they are the antithesis of miracles. They are anti-miracles. Quite the contrary, miracles, by definition, are things that defy the laws of biology, ... and chemistry, and physics, et al. - not things that follow those laws.

Parting the Red Sea with a wave of one's staff would be a miracle. Living inside a fish for three days would be a miracle. Turning water into wine by will alone would be a miracle. But biological life is anything but a miracle. Miracles are distinguished by being rarely occurring, in fact, extremely rare. Certainly not something that happen every day "trillions" of times.
But I digress. Everyone should be allowed to believe what they want to believe.
As you are entitled. But I might suggest taking a moment to look up the definition of miracle for a better understanding of the use of the word.

It's much easier to explain the existence of a creator than it is to to explain how the universe got here by "poof".. Nothing could exist if you follow the laws of physics. And then of course the trillions of miracles that happen every day regarding biology. But I digress. Everyone should be allowed to believe what they want to believe.
Agreed, one should believe what seems OK for them to believe, but if science can show your belief is wrong (intelligent design) or statistics can prove you wrong (abortion causes breast cancer) or the world thinks your belief is just plain inhumane (discrimination) go ahead, believe, just don't as Christian conservatives do force your belief into schools, make them into laws or claim your inhumanity is justice for bad behavior.

Beliefs/religion are fine, they help us define ourselves but right wing Christian beliefs do not define everybody and others are allowed to believe something different.

Apparently not. The universe "poof" is absolutely no different than the creator "poof".

And yet everything does, despite the fact that we're a long way from knowing all the laws of physics. In fact, we've only just begun learning all the laws of physics.

There are absolutely none. Life that follows the laws of biology are not miracles - they are the antithesis of miracles. They are anti-miracles. Quite the contrary, miracles, by definition, are things that defy the laws of biology, ... and chemistry, and physics, et al. - not things that follow those laws.

Parting the Red Sea with a wave of one's staff would be a miracle. Living inside a fish for three days would be a miracle. Turning water into wine by will alone would be a miracle. But biological life is anything but a miracle. Miracles are distinguished by being rarely occurring, in fact, extremely rare. Certainly not something that happen every day "trillions" of times.

As you are entitled. But I might suggest taking a moment to look up the definition of miracle for a better understanding of the use of the word.
Not gonna go line for line. Like I said, people have the right to believe what they want. I do notice that atheists like you , although in the teeny tiny minority in this country, are awfully touchy when someone who believes makes their case. Why is that?

Apparently you think you're smarter then the wide majority of Americans that view things differently.

But I stand by my statements. "Poof" defies every law of physics. In other words CAN'T happen. And 2. The trillions of miracles that happen every day as it relates to biology also still stands. An example of that. A zygote upon conception, will split/divided for nine months over and over again millions of times over nine months to form 2 arms 2 legs, 2 kidneys, and a beating heart that in part runs and operates with electrical stimuli along with an infinite number of other incredible organs Not to ignore a complex computer that sits above the neck., operated not by electrical impulse and man made parts, but blood and neurons. Yeah I'm sure all that is pure luck and happenstance, huh? Give me a break.

I'm a practicing Christian and my faith is very important to me. What Meathead is saying is spot on. You might want to review Project 2025. That 83% of Evangelical Christians support Trump, the AntiChrist, is really a sad,sad commentary.

Agreed, one should believe what seems OK for them to believe, but if science can show your belief is wrong (intelligent design) or statistics can prove you wrong (abortion causes breast cancer) or the world thinks your belief is just plain inhumane (discrimination) go ahead, believe, just don't as Christian conservatives do force your belief into schools, make them into laws or claim your inhumanity is justice for bad behavior.

Beliefs/religion are fine, they help us define ourselves but right wing Christian beliefs do not define everybody and others are allowed to believe something different.
If you actually read my posts above, you would know that I am dead against Christian nationalism and I've stated such in multiple posts. If you are looking to pick a fight with someone on the subject. pick someone on the other team, ok?

But I will say this, you are painting Christians with a very broad brush. And this is an error on your part. I know plenty of Christians that want absolutely no part of a theocracy.

Back
Top Bottom