• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Respect for Men

Yep...the club was Houston PEP, and hideous is a very accurate description.

It is amazing how some can take playful spanking and light bondage in the bedroom to those extremes.

They also like to refer it as a "lifestyle".

Not me.

Much more people like that stuff than will admit to it.

Dude who cares? As long as it's consenting adults in private, they should be able to do just about anything they want, no matter how distasteful you may find it.

Is that the topic of the thread? No. Does a poster always have to clarify that they're not being exclusionary by mentioning that problem X is not unique to group Y? No.

Stop trying to pick a fight that has nothing to do with the topic.

The topic is respect for men, why should this type of respect only go to men ? Is it acceptable to treat women like idiots, like children, or like how they are depicted on TV shows ? I don't think so.

I think all people deserve respect. I don't think there is any particular obligation to respect men any differently than women.

When women are excluded from the discussion, that is exclusionary. That's just what the word means.

The topic is respect for men, why should this type of respect only go to men ?

Literally NO ONE (I feel like I have to start my sentences to you all the time with these words) is saying that.

Is it acceptable to treat women like idiots, like children, or like how they are depicted on TV shows ? I don't think so.

Just because I say that apple pie is yummy doesn't mean I'm saying that pumpkin pie ISN'T yummy. This is a very basic comprehension skill, A.

I think all people deserve respect. I don't think there is any particular obligation to respect men any differently than women.

When women are excluded from the discussion, that is exclusionary. That's just what the word means.

*facepalm*

The topic is about respect for men --- there's already a topic called Respect for Women which you have posted on extensively. There is no exclusion. Now stop trying to start fights where there aren't any and discuss the topic at hand.

The topic is respect for men, why should this type of respect only go to men ? Is it acceptable to treat women like idiots, like children, or like how they are depicted on TV shows ? I don't think so.

Dude... No one said ANY of that. You pulled that entire rant completely out of the aether.

What is wrong with you, exactly?

Edit:

FYI, this is actually a great example of exactly what I mentioned in the OP of my own thread. A Hell of a lot of "Feminist men" seem to be pathologically incapable of talking about any male issue, without somehow trying to flip it around so that women are the victims instead.

Last edited:
One thing I'm curious about here ----- why have only men "liked" the OP?

Excellent question! Maybe we should listen to more women's voices to discern why, so that we don't get just one side of this issue?

contrary to the OP's assertion
men who are idiots and/or act like children deserve the lack of respect deserving of idiots and adults who refuse to grow up
it is the Original Post's stupidity that deserves a massive dose of disrespect

This doesn't even make sense. You realize that we're talking about fictional characters, who were deliberately written in such a way as to elicit mockery and perpetuate disrespectful views of men, correct?

your post is as idiotic as some of the described characters
those who deserve no respect
because of the way they act
the original post's presumption that man-children and other idiots deserve respect only because they are of the male gender is an absurd proposition
much like your own

I am NOT saying that men deserve respect simply because they're male. I explicitly was talking about "your man" --- your spouse, your lover, your boyfriend. These men on sitcoms aren't your spouse, your lover, your boyfriend -- they're fictional characters. Most men and women do not act the way that Hollywood loves to portray them in sitcoms. I was using the example of the hyper-bitchy woman from sitcoms to say that women shouldn't take that as an example of how to treat their man. You see?

And, no, I'm not saying YOU have a man, bubba. Just wanted to make that very clear since you had trouble comprehending from the get-go.

Excellent question! Maybe we should listen to more women's voices to discern why, so that we don't get just one side of this issue?

I can't see why any woman would disagree with the OP. You should respect your partner. Nothing earth-shattering or partisan or extreme about that.

I can't see why any woman would disagree with the OP. You should respect your partner. Nothing earth-shattering or partisan or extreme about that.

And that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Your question was a good one: Why has no woman as of yet liked the OP?

Who's saying respect should only go to men? I haven't seen that in here.

This doesn't even make sense. You realize that we're talking about fictional characters, who were deliberately written in such a way as to elicit mockery and perpetuate disrespectful views of men, correct?

which is why the Original Post fails
we are pointed to examples of male fools
and then chastized not to treat them as such
because of their male gender

I am NOT saying that men deserve respect simply because they're male. I explicitly was talking about "your man" --- your spouse, your lover, your boyfriend. These men on sitcoms aren't your spouse, your lover, your boyfriend -- they're fictional characters. Most men and women do not act the way that Hollywood loves to portray them in sitcoms. I was using the example of the hyper-bitchy woman from sitcoms to say that women shouldn't take that as an example of how to treat their man. You see?

And, no, I'm not saying YOU have a man, bubba. Just wanted to make that very clear since you had trouble comprehending from the get-go.

but your OP makes NO sense
you point toward a couple of examples of male fools
and then attempt to admonish us for treating similar fools with disrespect

but profound stupidity is being proposed in your OP
even tho your male counterpart is a fool, treat him with respect you insist

bingo

it's an insulting instruction at worst, childish at best

who the hell treats another the way a sit com treats someone

I certainly don't need to be told how to treat my partner nor does he need to be instructed on how to treat me with respect

if either of us were unaware of that we would not be together

Ya know... This really isn't a hard concept. She's talking about the pop culture trope of deliberately going out of one's way to make males appear as fools, so as to actively invite disrespect for them.

If someone were write female characters in such a way, it would not be tolerated - particularly not by feminists. Why should it be tolerated for men?

Ya know... This really isn't a hard concept. She's talking about the pop culture trope of deliberately going out of one's way to make males appear as fools, so as to actively invite disrespect for them.

If someone were write female characters in such a way, it would not be tolerated - particularly not by feminists. Why should it be tolerated for men?
[emphasis added by bubba to make the following point]
really?!
have you even watched any television since its date of invention?

but profound stupidity is being proposed in your OP
even tho your male counterpart is a fool, treat him with respect you insist

You can keep repeating it, but it won't make it so.

The women in these sitcoms are bitchy and naggy and have no respect for their spouses. I was merely using their characters to say how NOT to treat your man (who mostly likely isn't anything like the dummy husband portrayed on TV).

In no way did I say to treat all men with respect even if they are total fools. Case in point - I don't respect you at all.

Last edited:
Literally NO ONE (I feel like I have to start my sentences to you all the time with these words) is saying that.

Then it should have been a very easy question for you to answer.

For some reason, you're making a really big deal out of nothing. I'm just trying to understand why you're selecting men for this message.

Just because I say that apple pie is yummy doesn't mean I'm saying that pumpkin pie ISN'T yummy. This is a very basic comprehension skill, A.

If you agree with me; then why are you whining- bringing all this implied insult and snark into the conversation ?

*facepalm*

The topic is about respect for men --- there's already a topic called Respect for Women which you have posted on extensively. There is no exclusion. Now stop trying to start fights where there aren't any and discuss the topic at hand.

What fight am i picking here ? It looks like you have trouble agreeing that we shouldn't treat women as though they are equivalent to TV show characters.

Why, he probably thinks "Black Lives Matter" means ONLY black lives matter.

BLM had specific reason to draw attention to blacks in particular.

I don't see how women should be treated like TV show characters are depicted, so i don't see why only men are being selected. I was just clarifying that i think men should also be treated as individuals.

Who's saying respect should only go to men? I haven't seen that in here.

I don't understand why only men are being referenced. I don't see what's unique to men.

We could have started a thread titled "Respect for Sports Writers" and cited Ray Romano in Everybody Loves Raymond and i'd be wondering "Why 'sports writers' ?"

Then it should have been a very easy question for you to answer.

Yes, women deserve respect, and, yes, women being stereotyped as imbeciles in media would be wrong (if it were something which actually happened - it's not).

Are you happy now?

For some reason, you're making a really big deal out of nothing.

We're wondering why in the Hell you're going deliberately out of your way to try and derail the thread by accusing people of saying things they never did.

I'm just trying to understand why you're selecting men for this message.

Because this is an issue primarily relating to men, not women. Again, why do you people seem to think these are conversations we're not allowed to have?

I don't understand why only men are being referenced. I don't see what's unique to men.

Because that's what Josie chose to focus the thread on? There's already a "Respect for Women" thread by Gathomas focusing on that side of the coin, so I believe that's the reason why she chose to focus the thread on "Respect for Men".

But that's entirely irrelevant, really. The fact remains that nobody in here is saying respect should only go to men.

Back
Top Bottom