• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obama to win...by a landslide???

Uhh, I believe I already posted his official campaign promise above, and it was rated by Politifact as "Promise Kept".

Ok, so who am I to argue with politifact? If they say a lie is promise kept then alright.

Ok, so who am I to argue with politifact? If they say a lie is promise kept then alright.

I think you are the only one who was unreasonable enough to believe that Obama, if elected, was going to bring them home immediately through some type of osmosis. Troop withdrawal takes a while, and most people are reasonable enough to understand that.

Obama ended the war. Obama brought the troops home. Obama abided by a signed treaty with the Iraqi parliament and PM.

so what's your beef?

My beef is he didn't do what he was hired to do. He promised to complete a job by the time he steps into the halls of power. He did complete the job, but 3 years later. So if you say he kept his promise, I'd hate to see what he has to do for lefties to say he broke a promise.

I think you are the only one who was unreasonable enough to believe that Obama, if elected, was going to bring them home immediately through some type of osmosis. Troop withdrawal takes a while, and most people are reasonable enough to understand that.

Apparently, Obama was under the impression that he could immediately withdraw all troops from Iraq.

I see no evidence of that.

I kindly refer you to post #76 where Obama promised he would bring the troops home ASAP. Even Stevie Wonder can see that he lied. :)

Obama is a politician, but he's no fool.

I don't think he's a fool either, but he is a liar, or just plain old ignorant. Either way, he is not fit for another term.

No, you apparently don't listen to well. He never said anything even close to that.

Stop being a committed Obamabot for 1 minute. Now did he not say that right when he's elected he'd retract the troops? Geese, arguing with liberals is like quoting shakespeare to my dog.

Stop being a committed Obamabot for 1 minute. Now did he not say that right when he's elected he'd retract the troops? Geese, arguing with liberals is like quoting shakespeare to my dog.

he said he'd bring the troops home as soon as possible.

and he did, within the context of the SOF treaty.

and considering our signed treaty with the Iraqi parliament and PM, he did fulfill that promise.

Sure, you're right. He did fullfill his promise to the Iraqi parliament, but he lied to the American people.

Sure, you're right. He did fullfill his promise to the Iraqi parliament, but he lied to the American people.

he did not lie to the American people. he brought the troops home as soon as possible.

it takes time to bring home 150,000 soldiers...you know. and you have to do it in an orderly & secure way, in which things stay safe.

he said he'd bring the troops home as soon as possible.

and he did, within the context of the SOF treaty.

If he honored his campaign pledge, there would not be a need to sign a treaty in the first place. So when he signed it, he probably thought that he lied once, so again won't hurt. Whatever he does, you lefties adulate him. Can you name 1 thing he did that you disagree with him on?

Obama said:
I will promise you this: that if we have not gotten out troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home, we will bring an end to this war

I see nothing about troops being home immediately after him being elected, but rather that he will work on bringing him home as soon as he is in office. The official promise was that he would being withdrawal within 16 months and he apparently kept that promise.

he did not lie to the American people. he brought the troops home as soon as possible.

Ok, first off, he didn't say as soon as possible, that could mean anytime. He said the first thing he would do. Ending the war was a major selling point for the Democrats. If he told the truth that he wouldn't end the war until 2011, then he would'nt have gotten elected.

it takes time to bring home 150,000 soldiers...you know. and you have to do it in an orderly & secure way, in which things stay safe.

Which Obama didn't account for when he made that promise.

Ok, first off, he didn't say as soon as possible, that could mean anytime. He said the first thing he would do. Ending the war was a major selling point for the Democrats. If he told the truth that he wouldn't end the war until 2011, then he would'nt have gotten elected....

.....Which Obama didn't account for when he made that promise.

Obama, as POTUS, is obliged to respect & honor all treaties signed by previous administrations. A treaty was signed with Iraq, and he had to abide by it.

I'm sorry, what is the problem here?

I already told you, Obama did NOT sign this treaty. Bush did!!

Ok now Bush signed the treaty. Before I said that he intended to break it, then you said that he didn't sign it yet? Your circular logic is irritating. The bottom line is treatry or not, Obama was either unaware of a treaty, or he flat out lied. Which is it?

Obama, as POTUS, is obliged to respect & honor all treaties signed by previous administrations. A treaty was signed with Iraq, and he had to abide by it.

Then why did he promise to bring the troops home, if he was expected to abide by a treaty?

Ok now Bush signed the treaty. Before I said that he intended to break it, then you said that he didn't sign it yet? Your circular logic is irritating. The bottom line is treatry or not, Obama was either unaware of a treaty, or he flat out lied. Which is it?

I am going to explain this to you, one last time.

Obama promised to bring the troops home ASAP, in October 2007.

In November 2008, Bush signed the Status of Forces agreemant with the Iraqi parliament and Iraqi PM, promising to get all troops out of Iraqi cities within one year..and get all troops out of the country by 12/31/2011.

Obama, as the new President, was bound by this ageemant.

do you now understand??

Give it up -- you're trying to make an incredibly weak argument and stepping in more doo doo with each post. Obama promised to end the war and he did. He didn't mean that he was going to simultaneously ship home all of our troops and equipment on Jan. 21, 2009, and no one mistook him to mean that.

Give it up -- you're trying to make an incredibly weak argument and stepping in more doo doo with each post. Obama promised to end the war and he did. He didn't mean that he was going to simultaneously ship home all of our troops and equipment on Jan. 21, 2009, and no one mistook him to mean that.

Thanks for your ever so intelligent critique. Anyway, Obama's mouth wrote a check tbhat his ass couldn't cash. I'll give you that he did end the war, just not in the time line he initially promised. And judging by his overwhelming support in 2008, I think alot of people thought he would do what he said he would do.

Back
Top Bottom