• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MacGregor/Mayweather Who You Got and Did You Buy the Live Version?

Mayweather really doesn't have the punch to end a fight early.
I also thought McGregor fought well, but I think by the 5th round, Mayweather felt that Conor couldn't hurt him and stepped up his aggression.

When McGregor couldn't keep his hands above his nipples for more than a couple of seconds at a time, the fight was basically over. That was about the end of the fourth round.

I happened to be switching channels between HBO and Showtime.
The Cotto-Kamegai fight was really an example of a fighter getting in an opponent's face and staying there.
Cotto landed bomb after bomb and Kamegai kept pressuring and trying to smother Cotto's offense.
Cotto pitched a shut-out, but Kamegai actually looked none the worse for wear at the end of the fight.
Kamegai is an amazingly tough individual.

Cotto-Kamegai is the fight I wanted to watch, but I don't have HBO.

Have you ever watched him fight? He tires people out. One of the goals of boxing is NOT TO GET HIT. Tommy Hearns, he ain't. It's not the most thrilling of styles, but it gets the job done. And anyone who says he can't take a punch didn't watch him get utterly clocked by Shane Mosely and then dominate the rest of the fight when they went toe-to-toe.

As much as I detest Floyd Mayweather, he's possibly the best defensive boxer that's ever lived.

Yes its boring. Its the same reason I hate watching a Mourinho team as well. Its boring as hell.

Mayweather really doesn't have the punch to end a fight early.
I also thought McGregor fought well, but I think by the 5th round, Mayweather felt that Conor couldn't hurt him and stepped up his aggression.

Against a boxer yes, I wasn't expecting Conner to be able to slip his punches and counter like he was early on. I was expecting KO or ref stoppage in the first because I grossly underestimated Conner' s ability and also I expected Mayweather to come out aggressive early.

Was the fight good enough for a rematch?

No.
McGregor didn't show the sort of all out aggression that I thought he would.
Absent that aggression and despite the fact that Connor fought pretty well, I'm doubtful that a rematch would go much differently.

Yes its boring. Its the same reason I hate watching a Mourinho team as well. Its boring as hell.

Boring =/= ineffective.

Hell, there's a reason the NHL basically legislated the neutral-zone trap out of existence. It was like watching paint dry, but the Devils won what, three Stanley Cups using it?

When McGregor couldn't keep his hands above his nipples for more than a couple of seconds at a time, the fight was basically over. That was about the end of the fourth round.

Endurance in boxing is difficult to judge prior to a fight.
Once the fight was underway, McGregor seemed to be the stiffer, less fluid athlete.
That sort of stiffness is usually a pretty good indicator of late round fatigue.

Endurance in boxing is difficult to judge prior to a fight.
Once the fight was underway, McGregor seemed to be the stiffer, less fluid athlete.
That sort of stiffness is usually a pretty good indicator of late round fatigue.

To be fair to McGregor, he was fighting in a style that he's not used to. He's simply not a boxer. Boxing is part of what he does, but he's not a boxer. Mayweather is. That's what he does.

Boring =/= ineffective.

Hell, there's a reason the NHL basically legislated the neutral-zone trap out of existence. It was like watching paint dry, but the Devils won what, three Stanley Cups using it?

Never said he wasn't effective. But I as a person watching something to be entertained don't want to watch someone that is "one of the best" be defensive.

Never said he wasn't effective. But I as a person watching something to be entertained don't want to watch someone that is "one of the best" be defensive.

Mayweather doesn't fight to be flashy, he fights to win fights, make money and preserve his unbeaten record.

My question to you, then, is what the hell did you expect out of this sideshow? Mayweather to break character and become Tommy Hearns?

Mayweather doesn't fight to be flashy, he fights to win fights, make money and preserve his unbeaten record.

My question to you, then, is what the hell did you expect out of this sideshow? Mayweather to break character and become Tommy Hearns?

Okay thanks John Madden. I didn't expect anything, that's why I watched it for free instead of paying an outrageous $100 for this ****show.

Okay thanks John Madden. I didn't expect anything, that's why I watched it for free instead of paying an outrageous $100 for this ****show.

Well, at least you didn't fork over any money for this farce. I didn't either.

Really action packed battle.
Cotto threw so many punches, I thought he might run out of gas late in the fight.
This might have been Kamegai's strategy, let the old guy tire himself out and win in the latter rounds.
Kamegai really took a lot of shots and didn't seem to have the power to stop Cotto.
So, I could make a case that the fight could have been stopped in the 10th round, thereby preventing Kamegai from taking all those extra head shots.
My love-hate relationship with boxing continues.

A full-time boxer is going to beat a part-time boxer 99 times out of 100, especially a full-time boxer whose specialty is not getting hit.

To me this was like Floyd Patterson vs. Pete Radamaker. Radataker was the Olympic Gold Medal Heavyweight champ and in his
1st professional fight fought Patterson the undisputed Heavyweight championship. An amateur boxer vs a champion boxer
the same thing with the same predictable result. The amateur gets knock out!

To be fair to McGregor, he was fighting in a style that he's not used to. He's simply not a boxer. Boxing is part of what he does, but he's not a boxer. Mayweather is. That's what he does.

I can't wait for Part 2.......McGregor vs Mayweather....IN THE OCTAGON!!
I know Floyd would never put himself in that kind of losing position, but it's kind of nice to imagine Mayweather getting clocked with a roudhouse kick.

Really action packed battle.
Cotto threw so many punches, I thought he might run out of gas late in the fight.
This might have been Kamegai's strategy, let the old guy tire himself out and win in the latter rounds.
Kamegai really took a lot of shots and didn't seem to have the power to stop Cotto.
So, I could make a case that the fight could have been stopped in the 10th round, thereby preventing Kamegai from taking all those extra head shots.
My love-hate relationship with boxing continues.

Yeah, as guilty as I feel about loving the NFL, I really feel guilty about enjoying boxing when some of these guys just are ... ugh.

I used to cover the inductions at the Boxing HOF in Canastota, NY, and I met a lot of the greats ... Frazier and Norton were the two top ones, but I knew Carmen Basilio pretty well and met guys like Mickey Ward. Arturo Gatti and Gerry Cooney. They all had a few screws loose. Pretty devastating, the effects of getting punched in the head for a living.

Emmanuel Steward was one of my favorite guys to talk to at the inductions. What a classy guy.

I can't wait for Part 2.......McGregor vs Mayweather....IN THE OCTAGON!!
I know Floyd would never put himself in that kind of losing position, but it's kind of nice to imagine Mayweather getting clocked with a roudhouse kick.

Christ, with MMA rules, McGregor would have Mayweather in a rear naked choke in about 8 seconds.

Same here! The Floyd fight was really just an exhibition, I wasn't going to bet $100 to win $20. I bet on Kamegai as I saw him against Soto-Karass
that Kamegai has about the best chin in the sport. Cotto though won almost every round,

Yeah, as guilty as I feel about loving the NFL, I really feel guilty about enjoying boxing when some of these guys just are ... ugh.

I used to cover the inductions at the Boxing HOF in Canastota, NY, and I met a lot of the greats ... Frazier and Norton were the two top ones, but I knew Carmen Basilio pretty well and met guys like Ward and Gerry Cooney. They all had a few screws loose. Pretty devastating, the effects of getting punched in the head for a living.

I watched a movie....."Facing Ali", I think....wherein various boxers who had fought Muhammad Ali were interviewed.
One of the boxers, George Chuvalo, was famous for being able to take brutal beatings and continue fighting.
Amazingly, he appeared to have the most intact mental faculties of all the fighters.
Good genetics, luck of the draw...I dunno....but he was the most lucid and articulate of the group.

Same here! The Floyd fight was really just an exhibition, I wasn't going to bet $100 to win $20. I bet on Kamegai as I saw him against Soto-Karass
that Kamegai has about the best chin in the sport. Cotto though won almost every round,

Cotto's a magnificent fighter. I've always enjoyed watching him.

KOBIE'S 15 FAVORITE FIGHTERS TO WATCH (that he's seen), IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
1. Oscar De La Hoya
2. Bernard Hopkins
3. Vintage Mike Tyson
4. Lennox Lewis
5. Marvelous Marvin Hagler
6. Tommy Hearns
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Arturo Gatti
9. Mickey Ward
10. Vernon Forrest
11. Shane Mosley
12. Pernell Whitaker
13. Julio Cesar Chavez
14. David Tua (I just want to see that guy in a muumuu playing the ukelele)
15. Roy Jones Jr.

KOBIE'S 5 LEAST FAVORITE FIGHTERS TO WATCH:
1. Evander Holyfield
2. Sugar Ray Leonard
3. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
4. Either Klitschko
5. George Foreman

Cotto's a magnificent fighter. I've always enjoyed watching him.

KOBIE'S 15 FAVORITE FIGHTERS TO WATCH (that he's seen), IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
1. Oscar De La Hoya
2. Bernard Hopkins
3. Vintage Mike Tyson
4. Lennox Lewis
5. Marvelous Marvin Hagler
6. Tommy Hearns
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Arturo Gatti
9. Mickey Ward
10. Vernon Forrest
11. Shane Mosley
12. Pernell Whitaker
13. Julio Cesar Chavez
14. David Tua (I just want to see that guy in a muumuu playing the ukelele)
15. Roy Jones Jr.

My dad took me to Yankee Stadium to see Basilio vs Robinson at Yankee Stadium
in the 50's so I go way back the three I think are the best I've seen

1) Robinson
2) Duran
3) Salvatore Sanchez

My dad took me to Yankee Stadium to see Basilio vs Robinson at Yankee Stadium
in the 50's so I go way back the three I think are the best I've seen

1) Robinson
2) Duran
3) Salvatore Sanchez

Wow! Amazing you got to see that, Slick!

When I met Carmen Basilio, he was a worked-over old man who couldn't keep his hands to himself when female reporters or photogs were around. But he had a certain old-school charm. Even the women he pawed kinda liked him.

Once his fighting days were over, he retired to Rochester, NY (where I live) and worked at the Genesee bottling plant for a bit, before he started getting invites to sporting banquets and whatnot. He died like 5 years ago.

Oh, and you got to see Robinson too. I GUESS THAT'S KINDA NICE

KOBIE'S TOP 10 FIGHTERS HE NEVER GOT TO SEE BUT WISHES HE COULD HAVE:
1. Muhammad Ali
2. Jack Johnson
3. Jack Dempsey
4. Rocky Marciano
5. Joe Louis
6. Sonny Liston
7. Sugar Ray Robinson
8. Joe Frazier
9. Jim Braddock
10. Ingemar Johansson
11. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (Because we've never seen him fight! lolololol)

Back
Top Bottom