• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MacGregor/Mayweather Who You Got and Did You Buy the Live Version?

Could've told you this months ago.
It was on AFN, so I didn't pony up any money.

Still.....I would have rather watched cartoon network on the TV if the rest of the team in the office wouldn't have had a collective aneurysm.

Entertaining fight to watch though.

It was on AFN, so I didn't pony up any money.

Still.....I would have rather watched cartoon network on the TV if the rest of the team in the office wouldn't have had a collective aneurysm.

Entertaining fight to watch though.

Ah okay, I'm glad you didn't have to spend the money. :lamo

Wasn't that great of a fight. Credit to McGregor for sticking through ten rounds, but honestly having a UFC fighter take on the best modern boxer in a boxing match is not a fair match at all. At least it was better than Pacquiao fight.

I bet he wouldn't be so boring with a Hagler or a Hearns in there trying to beat the snot out of him. Now that fight was a war. One of the best fights I ever saw. Toe to toe blow for blow neither backing down.

Mayweather has already beaten the greats - Manny Pacquiao, Canelo Alvarez, Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya, etc....

It was a boxing match. Mayweather is one of the all time greats. McGregor is a fighter, not a boxer. The fact he lasted ten is a credit to him.

Key word is "was."

It would be like somone saying they beat Tiger Woods in golf.

Key word is "was."

It would be like somone saying they beat Tiger Woods in golf.

Was the fight good enough for a rematch?

Was the fight good enough for a rematch?

Hopefully they don't do it. Would much prefer to see McGregor in MMA where the opponent doesn't run and hide like Mayweather has done throughout his career.

Now millions of new viewers of boxing will understand why Mayweather is the most boring fighter to ever exist, and why boxing is a dying sport.

Mayweather is definitely defense oriented.
I would say that Mayweather doesn't have a killer punch, i.e. one punch KO power, but once he figures out his opponent and opens up he's extremely effective.

Correct,

Mayweather was either giving it 70-80% or he was seriously declined due to his old age.

Neither of those is true. Mayweather used this sneaky thing called tactics. MacGregor was only going to be dangerous two to three rounds. Mayweather covered up and let him punch. Once he had the patterns and timing down, Mayweather started throwing more, alot of body shots. And waited. Once Macgregor started to get gassed, Mayweather turned it up. Those first 3 rounds where not decline, nor only giving it 70 to 80 %, those where ensuring that he went 50-0.

A full-time boxer is going to beat a part-time boxer 99 times out of 100, especially a full-time boxer whose specialty is not getting hit.

^ quoted for being right.

I bet he wouldn't be so boring with a Hagler or a Hearns in there trying to beat the snot out of him. Now that fight was a war. One of the best fights I ever saw. Toe to toe blow for blow neither backing down.

I had high hopes that Pacquiao would pressure Mayweather into a real fight.
But age and an alleged shoulder injury----mostly age, I think----- limited Manny's effectiveness.
Mayweather and Pacquiao fought 10 years too late.

What? Did you watch the fight? Mayweather was the aggressor and it was a pretty good watch.

I thought it was worth the cost---$100 split 4 ways---and actually a pretty good fight.

Neither of those is true. Mayweather used this sneaky thing called tactics. MacGregor was only going to be dangerous two to three rounds. Mayweather covered up and let him punch. Once he had the patterns and timing down, Mayweather started throwing more, alot of body shots. And waited. Once Macgregor started to get gassed, Mayweather turned it up. Those first 3 rounds where not decline, nor only giving it 70 to 80 %, those where ensuring that he went 50-0.

Idk. He seemed a lot more dangerous as the fight moved along. Mayweather seemed to win on knowledge of the sport. He turned his back a lot. And McGregor made a lot of beginner errors it seemed.

This fight did prove 2 things to me for sure:

1) McGregor is a damn good stand up fighter and boxer. Way better than expected.

2) Mayweather would not have lasted in an MMA match. I'm glad mayweather or his coaches weren't dumb enough to try and cross over (toney v couture).

This fight was a lot closer than I could have anticipated.

The crowd is not the sum of its parts.

I am a republican who did not vote for Trump (Or Hillary).

Hopefully they don't do it. Would much prefer to see McGregor in MMA where the opponent doesn't run and hide like Mayweather has done throughout his career.

Anyone who watched this fight and thought Mayweather was running and hiding doesn't know a goddamn thing about boxing.

I had high hopes that Pacquiao would pressure Mayweather into a real fight.
But age and an alleged shoulder injury----mostly age, I think----- limited Manny's effectiveness.
Mayweather and Pacquiao fought 10 years too late.

And Mayweather certainly ducked him, and I'll always hold that against him. But anyone who thought McGregor had any chance of winning this particular fight was insane, and I thought Mayweather performed much more entertainingly than I expected him to.

That said, Mayweather is still an awful human being and I wish he had lost. But it was never gonna happen.

Idk. He seemed a lot more dangerous as the fight moved along. Mayweather seemed to win on knowledge of the sport. He turned his back a lot. And McGregor made a lot of beginner errors it seemed.

This fight did prove 2 things to me for sure:

1) McGregor is a damn good stand up fighter and boxer. Way better than expected.

2) Mayweather would not have lasted in an MMA match. I'm glad mayweather or his coaches weren't dumb enough to try and cross over (toney v couture).

This fight was a lot closer than I could have anticipated.

The turning the back thing was weird.

I bet if there is a rematch McGregor might actually go the distance. He wasn't quite ready to go the whole distance this time around. I think McGregor needed to fight his fight and not box but fight a war and get in Mayweathers face and stay there.

I happened to be switching channels between HBO and Showtime.
The Cotto-Kamegai fight was really an example of a fighter getting in an opponent's face and staying there.
Cotto landed bomb after bomb and Kamegai kept pressuring and trying to smother Cotto's offense.
Cotto pitched a shut-out, but Kamegai actually looked none the worse for wear at the end of the fight.
Kamegai is an amazingly tough individual.

Anyone who watched this fight and thought Mayweather was running and hiding doesn't know a goddamn thing about boxing.

Oh please, Mayweather has ran away his entire career. The only reason he wasn't in complete turtle mode during this fight was because he was fighting someone that was fighting in his first professional boxing match. :roll:

And Mayweather certainly ducked him, and I'll always hold that against him. But anyone who thought McGregor had any chance of winning this particular fight was insane, and I thought Mayweather performed much more entertainingly than I expected him to.
I think both fighters are counter-punching types, so Mayweather was the one who stepped up and turned this fight into an actual...well...fight.

That said, Mayweather is still an awful human being and I wish he had lost. But it was never gonna happen.
Agreed, but the guy seemed pretty gracious after the fight and probably improved is image a little.

A full-time boxer is going to beat a part-time boxer 99 times out of 100, especially a full-time boxer whose specialty is not getting hit.

To me this was like Floyd Patterson vs. Pete Radamaker. Radataker was the Olympic Gold Medal Heavyweight champ and in his
1st professional fight fought Patterson the undisputed Heavyweight championship. An amateur boxer vs a champion boxer
the same thing with the same predictable result. The amateur gets knock out!

Oh please, Mayweather has ran away his entire career. The only reason he wasn't in complete turtle mode during this fight was because he was fighting someone that was fighting in his first professional boxing match. :roll:

Have you ever watched him fight? He tires people out. One of the goals of boxing is NOT TO GET HIT. Tommy Hearns, he ain't. It's not the most thrilling of styles, but it gets the job done. And anyone who says he can't take a punch didn't watch him get utterly clocked by Shane Mosely and then dominate the rest of the fight when they went toe-to-toe.

As much as I detest Floyd Mayweather, he's possibly the best defensive boxer that's ever lived.

I have to say I didn't expect him to last the first round, the fact he made it 10 rounds is shocking. Very entertaining fight and Conner was much better than I expected particular his jab.

Mayweather really doesn't have the punch to end a fight early.
I also thought McGregor fought well, but I think by the 5th round, Mayweather felt that Conor couldn't hurt him and stepped up his aggression.

To me this was like Floyd Patterson vs. Pete Radamaker. Radataker was the Olympic Gold Medal Heavyweight champ and in his
1st professional fight fought Patterson the undisputed Heavyweight championship. An amateur boxer vs a champion boxer
the same thing with the same predictable result. The amateur gets knock out!

McGregor's sparring partner, the guy who really was in charge of getting him into boxing shape, is a guy who is like five degrees of losing separation from a guy who got buried by Mayweather.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom