• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In-N-Out Burger in Oakland to close doors for good over out-of-control crime

That might make sense if you can give an example of a Republican run city that does not have the same problems all cities have. IF that were true, THEN you could celebrate the brilliant Republican policies that solved those problems. You will find that there is no such city. That’s why the partisans love to use the attack “Dem run cities” - because they believe their GOPer members aren’t smart enough to figure out that obvious truth. They may well be right about that. But don’t fall for it. Think.

Fresno, CA is a Republican run city in California and it has a far lower crime rate (37 -vs- 80 per 1000) and doesn't need a poop finder map for its residence.

Dallas, TX same story (50)

Fort Worth, TX .. same (38)

Tulsa, OK (9)

Of the top 10 cities for crime only 1 is Republican

Of the top 20 there are 2 Republican cities

Of the top 50 there are 10 Republican cities

Of the 100 largest cities in the country Democrats are in charge of 63% while controlling 80% of the to 30 most crime ridden cities and 90% of the top 10.

So when it comes to bad-on-crime, Democrats demonstrably punch above their weight class.

1706802641834.png

And by the way, the numbers in cities like Oakton and San Francisco are considerably muted given the fact that the police rarely even et involved in the shoplifting, so all of that theft doesn't even make it into the official statistics.

Reactions: PoS
Thank you for taking this seriously and doing some research. I’m going to poke a few holes in your conclusions, though.

Firstly, I’m sure you noticed that the vast majority of cities fall under the Democrat column. Of the top 50 cities by population, only 11* have are Republican mayors. Republicans should examine why it is that when large groups of Americans live in close proximity they tend to favor a Dem.
*Actually it should be counted as 10 because the Dallas Mayor switched his party affiliation after he won reelection - and cannot run for another term.

Big cities in the U.S. tend toward the liberal side of the political spectrum, even when they’re within conservative states (residents of Austin sometimes joke that their city is “an island surrounded by Texas”).

Secondly, it is difficult to make clear conclusions about this because of the variations of city management structures. You cite Dallas as your second example of a Republican run city, yet the council-manager system there means that the position of mayor is technically non-partisan. And, as I pointed out above, he was a Dem when he was elected anyway. Dallas county is solidly democratic.

A third consideration is population size, which varies widely in this list. I will note where each city appears in a top 100 ranking by population so we can note that.

Lastly, it looks like you only picked up property crime rates, although I’m not sure where your table came from. I will list both as violent crime/property crime (per 100,000) just so we know. My source is a wikipedia link which I will post below.

Fresno, CA is a Republican run city in California and it has a far lower crime rate (37 -vs- 80 per 1000) and doesn't need a poop finder map for its residence.
Fresno is #35 by population, and rates are 565/3841 per 100,000. Sacramento is #36, and rates are 676/2937. Slightly worse on violent crimes, significantly better on property crime and the mayor is a Dem. I don’t know where your “80” came from, can you explain what you are comparing here?

Dallas, TX same story (50)
Dallas is #9 by population, and rates are 775/3185. The mayor was a Dem when elected, but has since switched parties - and cannot run again. Nevertheless, it compares slightly worse on violent crime and far better than Fresno - a much smaller city - in property crime.

Fort Worth, TX .. same (38)
Fort Worth is #17, and rates are 560/3215. Fairly comparable to Dallas.

Tulsa, OK (9)
Tulsa is #47. and rates are 1041/5456. They have a serious crime problem. Again, where did your “9” come from?

Of the top 10 cities for crime only 1 is Republican
Anchorage Alaska is #66, and rates are 1203/5413. Pretty bad crime rates. As I have discussed, most cities are Dem affiliated. Not sure what else you can conclude from "only 1 is Republican" when you take that into consideration.

Of the top 20 there are 2 Republican cities
Again, most cities are Dem affiliated, os teh data skews that way. I don't see how you can conclude anything from that.

So when it comes to bad-on-crime, Democrats demonstrably punch above their weight class.
I think you can see that your conclusion is pretty flawed. This is a lie that has been told to help solidify partisan division. Please note that I not saying that Dem run cities are better - far be it. I just believe that all cities have problems, and that the attack of “Dem Run cites BAD” is just a baseless and fact-free partisan attack. It is a lie that works only because most cities are Dem run - which should be the larger concern of Republicans everywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Thank you for taking this seriously and doing some research. I’m going to spoke a few holes in your conclusions, though.

Firstly, I’m sure you noticed that the vast majority of cities fall under the Democrat column. Of the top 50 cities by population, only 11* have are Republican mayors. Republicans should examine why it is that when large groups of Americans live in close proximity they tend to favor a Dem.
*Actually it should be counted as 10 because the Dallas Mayor switched his party affiliation after he won reelection - and cannot run for another term.

Big cities in the U.S. tend toward the liberal side of the political spectrum, even when they’re within conservative states (residents of Austin sometimes joke that their city is “an island surrounded by Texas”).

Secondly, it is difficult to make clear conclusions about this because of the variations of city management structures. You cite Dallas as your second example of a Republican run city, yet the council-manager system there means that the position of mayor is technically non-partisan. And, as I pointed out above, he was a Dem when he was elected anyway. Dallas county is solidly democratic.

A third consideration is population size, which varies widely in this list. I will note where each city appears in a top 100 ranking by population so we can note that.

Lastly, it looks like you only picked up property crime rates, although I’m not sure where your table came from. I will list both as violent crime/property crime just so we know. My source is a wikipedia link which I will post below.

Fresno is #35 by population, and rates are 565/3841 per 100,000. Sacramento is #36, and rates are 676/2937. Slightly worse on violent crimes, significantly better on property crime and the mayor is a Dem. I don’t know where your “80” came from, can you explain what you are comparing here?

Dallas is #9 by population, and rates are 775/3185. The mayor was a Dem when elected, but has since switched parties - and cannot run again. Nevertheless, it compares slightly worse on violent crime and far better than Fresno - a much smaller city - in property crime.

Fort Worth is #17, and rates are 560/3215. Fairly comparable to Dallas.

Tulsa is #47. and rates are 1041/5456. They have a serious crime problem. Again, where did your “9” come from?

Anchorage Alaska is #66, and rates are 1203/5413. Pretty bad crime rates. As I have discussed, most cities are Dem affiliated. Not sure what else you can conclude from "only 1 is Republican" when you take that into consideration.

Again, most cities are Dem affiliated, os teh data skews that way. I don't see how you can conclude anything from that.

I think you can see that your conclusion is pretty flawed. This is a lie that has been told to help solidify partisan division. Please note that I not saying that Dem run cities are better - far be it. I just believe that all cities have problems, and that the attack of “Dem Run cites BAD” is just a baseless and fact-free partisan attack. It is a lie that works only because most cities are Dem run - which should be the larger concern of Republicans everywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

My numbers were based on crime rates, which normalize to population. That is the only reason Anchorage is in the to 10.

The image I showed you was the spreadsheet I put together for the top 93 cities by crime rate, and I showed you the top 30.

Of the top 100, 22 have Republican Mayors, and of those 22, 13 are ranked in the lower half.

If this had noting to do with Dmeocrat policies they the crime rate at any given quintile would equal the over all distribution, that is to say the top 20 would be ~63% Democrat, the top 50 would be ~63% Democrat and so on, but it's not. The list is top heavy Democrat because Democrat policies don't quell criminal behavior, they do the opposite. And where a Democrat city appears to have a reduction is criminal rates you will usually find that the statistics have been impacted heavily by the fact that the city has simply decriminalized behaviors so that they no longer show up in the crime rates.

This is why businesses, who can't afford to gaslight with the rest of you, are leaving while the self-delusional Dmeocrat cheerleaders can't figure out why.

My numbers were based on crime rates, which normalize to population. That is the only reason Anchorage is in the to 10.
Where did you get the data?

The image I showed you was the spreadsheet I put together for the top 93 cities by crime rate, and I showed you the top 30.

Of the top 100, 22 have Republican Mayors, and of those 22, 13 are ranked in the lower half.

If this had noting to do with Dmeocrat policies they the crime rate at any given quintile would equal the over all distribution, that is to say the top 20 would be ~63% Democrat, the top 50 would be ~63% Democrat and so on, but it's not. The list is top heavy Democrat because Democrat policies don't quell criminal behavior, they do the opposite. And where a Democrat city appears to have a reduction is criminal rates you will usually find that the statistics have been impacted heavily by the fact that the city has simply decriminalized behaviors so that they no longer show up in the crime rates.

This is why businesses, who can't afford to gaslight with the rest of you, are leaving while the self-delusional Dmeocrat cheerleaders can't figure out why.
Your reasoning is flawed here too. You don't have a sufficient number of Republican run cities at large enough population levels with which to do an honest comparison. But now you are stooping to insults, so I will leave it here. You will believe what you want to believe anyway.

Where did you get the data?

List of Mayors and Party Affiliation

Crime rate of US Cities

A little collation and a sort and Ta Da!

Your reasoning is flawed here too. You don't have a sufficient number of Republican run cities at large enough population levels with which to do an honest comparison. But now you are stooping to insults, so I will leave it here. You will believe what you want to believe anyway.

LOL. You really don't know how statistics works, do you? It's a rhetorical question... of course you don't.

22 out of a population of 100 is more than enough to establish a trend.

List of Mayors and Party Affiliation

Crime rate of US Cities

A little collation and a sort and Ta Da!

LOL. You really don't know how statistics works, do you? It's a rhetorical question... of course you don't.

22 out of a population of 100 is more than enough to establish a trend.
Yah, you are an expert at this, clearly. I still don't know what "80" refers to in your Fresno example, or what "9" means as it relates to Tulsa. I've explained why what you are attempting is difficult and inconclusive. Just looking at party afffilation of the mayors is problematic, and I've explained why. You don't have statistically significant examples to show a clear superiority attributable to "republican policies". If they truly were, people would naturally gravitate toward such advantages. They haven't. They don't. They do the opposite. Ask yourself why. The answer is obvious.

Perhaps you can point to some specific Republican policies than show a marked improvement once implemented? I highly doubt you can. I've had this conversation many times, and no one on the right can ever seem to come up with any. Like you, they are happy to resort to insults and "it is too!", rather than any meaningful data that might prove their point. Again, the conclusion from that would be hard to miss; they don't have any. You've been sold this lie and want very much to believe it.

But the area has experienced a surge in criminal activity, with Oakland police reporting 1,335 incidents since 2019 including nine robberies, two commercial burglaries, four domestic violence incidents and an alarming 1,174 car break-ins.

Crimes committed in the vicinity of the restaurant on Oakport Street are were mostly car break-ins, making up 1,174 out of 1,335 reported cases (87%). Other crimes are mostly property damage and theft, while there were only 9 cases of armed robberies in the last four years. Car break-ins are common in the area because there is the Oakland Coliseum for baseball fans.

My dog left me a present on the kitchen floor this morning and I was late to work after cleaning it up.

Thanks, lib dog.
I have serious doubts about visiting California because of all the crime, homelessness, and filthy streets populated by drug addicts.
Thanks Progressive city managers.

I have serious doubts about visiting California because of all the crime, homelessness, and filthy streets populated by drug addicts.
Thanks Progressive city managers.
You typed "California" and crime went up .07% in my state.

Shit - it just went up again because I typed it! Thanks libz. 🤯

You typed "California" and crime went up .07% in my state.

Shit - it just went up again because I typed it! Thanks libz. 🤯
You don't have to say or write "California" for that state to get any more screwed up. It does it on its own.

California is definitely going to the shitter. Thanks, libs.
And people cry that it is racism when business's and banks don't invest in minority areas that have out of control violence and crime...

That’s just idiotic - and totally incorrect.

Again, that’s not what a strawman is.

Cheers.
Thats exactly what a strawman is. Your example should be on wikipedia, along with your lying cover up.
yes it was

no I didn't

you obviously aren't smart enough to recognize when you're being hoisted by your own petard.
Your textbook projection is hilarious. You were caught making a lie and you resort to insults in a pathetic attempt to double down on it. Nothing you say has any credibility whatsoever, except among your ilk, but thats not a surprise there since you all lie.

And people cry that it is racism when business's and banks don't invest in minority areas that have out of control violence and crime...
Heaven forbid if a for-profit bank refuses to lend to someone wanting to start a business in high-crime inner city neighborhood.
That is a charge of racism ready to make the morning newspaper.

Thats exactly what a strawman is. Your example should be on wikipedia, along with your lying cover up.
I suggest you look up these words; lie, strawman, and assumption. Then ask somebody to explain the definitions to you.

Your textbook projection is hilarious. You were caught making a lie and you resort to insults in a pathetic attempt to double down on it. Nothing you say has any credibility whatsoever, except among your ilk, but thats not a surprise there since you all lie.
Can you quote a lie I’ve told?

Yawn

Another LDS, Liberal Derangement Sydrome Post.

Are you paid by the post, or the word?
Why do you love criminals so much?

I suggest you look up these words; lie, strawman, and assumption. Then ask somebody to explain the definitions to you.

Can you quote a lie I’ve told?
I already quoted your lie, so now youre just making another pathetic excuse. The fact that you double down on lies and strawmen tells us all we need to know about you.

I already quoted your lie, so now youre just making another pathetic excuse. The fact that you double down on lies and strawmen tells us all we need to know about you.
No. But you remind me of someone I used to know. He also also struggled with simple things. See ya.

And yet somehow that "screwed up state" would be the 5th biggest economy on the planet if it was an independent country.

Blame da libs for that too?
No blame assessed.
California still has beautiful weather and scenery.
I go down to the Bay Area to play in handball tournaments because I lived there for over 20 years.
But I will never live there again because of where I live now.
And the Progressive/Libs continue to screw up the state and they can't do anything about high income citizens leaving CA and going to Idaho, TX, and Tenn.
Their loss because they don't notice their ship is slowly sinking.

No. But you remind me of someone I used to know. He also also struggled with simple things. See ya.
You remind me of someone too, a former ex-POTUS who never admits he lied, even after he did: Trump! He's your idol, plain and simple.

No blame assessed.
California still has beautiful weather and scenery.
I go down to the Bay Area to play in handball tournaments because I lived there for over 20 years.
But I will never live there again because of where I live now.
And the Progressive/Libs continue to screw up the state and they can't do anything about high income citizens leaving CA and going to Idaho, TX, and Tenn.
Their loss because they don't notice their ship is slowly sinking.

You have any statistics that show California's economy is slowly sinking?
I'm simply curious as I remember 20 years ago a BBC report saying California as a nation would be among the top 5 economies of the world and the only real change I can see is that China's economy has overtaken California but then China is a population of 1.4 billion people vs California's population of 39 million and the US (and everyone else) has shipped a lot of production over to China.

You have any statistics that show California's economy is slowly sinking?
I'm simply curious as I remember 20 years ago a BBC report saying California as a nation would be among the top 5 economies of the world and the only real change I can see is that China's economy has overtaken California but then China is a population of 1.4 billion people vs California's population of 39 million and the US (and everyone else) has shipped a lot of production over to China.
I only know what I read about California's economy.
If I lived there I would be looking for a way out.
Most likely to Idaho.
California is like one of those gargantuan cruise ships taking on water while everyone above sea level is partying like there is no tomorrow. The adults are getting drunk and their kids are terrorizing every deck they can discover.

Experts expect a downturn, but it's still possible the state will avoid a recession. Lea este artículo en español. California is ending the year facing a multitude of economic challenges, including a budget deficit, flat tax revenue, sluggish job growth and massive unemployment insurance debt.Dec 18, 2023

2023 Year in review: Danger signs for the California economy​

Back
Top Bottom