• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook uncovers "Russia"-funded misinformation campaign

Are Russians for some reason not allowed to buy ads on Facebook?

How about you actually read Facebook's terms and conditions agreement?

I guess everything is OK with Trumpers so long as he wins, even treating the American public as morons....I mean it worked right? Trump was elected on lies.

What else is new?

Russians taking out Facebook ads violates US law? Then we need to serve papers immediately.
Suddenly you don't care about crimes? What about those anti-fa thugs, not concerned about them either?
Funny, for months it was "what crime!?" Now it's "Who cares if it's a crime?"?

You're really behind on this jimbo, it's making you look like a Trump apologist.

To catch you up, since it's evidence of what could be an actual crime, if any Americans knowingly participated, it is indeed relevant, because that could result in a charge of collusion...you nkow, what the investigation is looking into?

Now that it appears a crime was committed in that area, investigators have broader authority to further investigate, in pursuit of any such American involvement (or evidence none!), which is a good thing if we take Russia's actions seriously.

Your point being? Its called the world wide web for a reason my friend, are you saying they should not have a presence there in the least?

Not to mention Hawkeye makes more then a valid point of how outright idiotic this is.

Please read the Facebook terms and conditions.

I guess being fooled is part of life for a Trumper.

Idiocy is the Trump administration and it's die hard, justify anything followers.

The pregnant lady below in the red dress is Margarita Simonyan. She is the head of the Russian state-owned media giant RT (formerly Russia Today). She is giving Russian president Vladimir Putin a tour of the RT/English-language studios. The RT YouTube Channel has the most videos hosted on YouTube by a large margin. Mrs. Simonyan is also one of the highest officials on Putin's national reelection committee..
Not that you had to prove that absurd tangent, but nice job just the same.

I can't help but like that the person in charge is a woman, pregnant no less. I also can't help, as a cynical outsider, to wonder if that's intentional for appearances or real cultural progress. I hope the latter.

How about you actually read Facebook's terms and conditions agreement?

I guess everything is OK with Trumpers so long as he wins, even treating the American public as morons....I mean it worked right? Trump was elected on lies.

What else is new?

So far as I know the penalty for violating the terms of the host is to get thrown out, it is not a criminal charge.

Facebook could have shut down the sites they now claim violated their terms, they did not, that is their fault, if they dont like it then they need to do better next time. There is no role for the collective here unless we decide that Facebook is too powerful or too abusive towards the society, as I am getting close to claiming.

Suddenly you don't care about crimes? What about those anti-fa thugs, not concerned about them either?
Funny, for months it was "what crime!?" Now it's "Who cares if it's a crime?"?

You're really behind on this jimbo, it's making you look like a Trump apologist.

To catch you up, since it's evidence of what could be an actual crime, if any Americans knowingly participated, it is indeed relevant, because that could result in a charge of collusion...you nkow, what the investigation is looking into?

Now that it appears a crime was committed in that area, investigators have broader authority to further investigate, in pursuit of any such American involvement (or evidence none!), which is a good thing if we take Russia's actions seriously.

Meanwhile, back to my post. What crimes were committed?

Could be, could result, looking into, appears? Sums up the whole 9 months of Trump investigations.

Meanwhile, back to my post. What crimes were committed?
Could be, could result, looking into, appears? Sums up the whole 9 months of Trump investigations.

Are you saying you have no idea how the criminal justice system works?

This is the relevant law that we correctly say "may have been broken". That is not for us to decide, see above.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/110.20

Or are you asking what crimes people were convicted of?

You do understand that it's an investigation into crimes.
That there is evidence of multiple crimes.
That the investigation may continue, as all such investigations of this size/scope do, for years.
That once it concludes, they will decide to recommend any of the crimes for prosecution to the (deputy) AG.
Who will then decide to pursue.
And then it would go through the legal process, which may include court proceedings, and an eventual verdict.

Are you saying you are ignorant of all these fact or that you're saying it to appear to be ignorant? Thankfully most people understand our legal system.

Please explain what law posting lies on Facebook violates.
It's not the lies...it's the collusion with the Trump campaign to spread those lies to a targeted audience that would make it illegal.

The pregnant lady below in the red dress is Margarita Simonyan. She is the head of the Russian state-owned media giant RT (formerly Russia Today). She is giving Russian president Vladimir Putin a tour of the RT/English-language studios. The RT YouTube Channel has the most videos hosted on YouTube by a large margin. Mrs. Simonyan is also one of the highest officials on Putin's national reelection committee.

image-531186-galleryV9-xmgb-531186.jpg

RT Managing Editor Margarita Simonyan and Russian President Vladimir Putin

All media is Russia is governed by Roskomnadzor, the state media watchdog (censorship) agency. All content is monitored. All content has to be available to the state ... print, radio, television, internet. All Internet ISPs must comply with Roskomnadzor demands for any user's personal data. All Internet providers operating in Russia must have their servers physically located in Russia (with back-doors for the Russian security agencies). This includes foreign providers such as Facebook, Google, etc. The owner of Russia's version of Facebook (VKontakte) Pavel Durov, fled to Europe rather than obey a Roskomnadzor order to provide them with the personal information of all Ukrainian VKontakte users. Any Russian organization/NGO that receives even $1 in foreign funding is classified as a "foreign agent". Any Russian blog that receives 30 or more visitors a month must register with Roskomnadzor. The last truly independent TV station in Russia, Dozhd (TV Rain) now only broadcasts intermittently.

she is second in command , N1 Muscovite propagandacondom is D Kiselev

How person changes under Putin regime. Dmitry Kiselyov (1999 - 2012)

Hate speech from Russian journalist Dmitry Kiselev, All-Russian State Television channel. Live.

Controlling the Media: Putin’s Propaganda Machine (Part 2)

FBI/CIA have said it many , many times . and Facebook is just a small part of this hybrid "war on USA"

Okay...

So what does that have to do with my questions?

Not that you had to prove that absurd tangent, but nice job just the same. I can't help but like that the person in charge is a woman, pregnant no less. I also can't help, as a cynical outsider, to wonder if that's intentional for appearances or real cultural progress. I hope the latter.

Strictly speaking, the Russian term "Silovik/Siloviki" refers to the higher-echelon current/former security services officers (KGB/FSB/GRU/SVR) chekist's who now comprise Putin's political regime and rule Russia. In more general terms, this also applies to the high-level functionaries, pro-regime oligarchs, and criminal bosses that also contribute to ruling Putin's Russia. Mrs. Simonyan is, in this broadest sense, a siloviki who controls the global Russian RT propaganda machine. Her remit is waging psychological war on the West in general and the US and Ukraine in particular. You don't get to run RT and sit on Putin's inner reelection committee simply because of gender. She's brilliant, results-oriented, and thoroughly understands the power of modern/sophisticated propaganda.

she is second in command , N1 Muscovite propagandacondom is D Kiselev

Kiselev is the Russian television version of Vladimir Volfovich Zhirinovsky.

Kiselev's brand of propaganda is for the Russian audience only. He is far too crude and CT for widespread Western consumption.

my question is simple, how we can keep our forum from paid - Olgino trolls and misinformation?

"
Facebook says it has discovered a Russian-funded campaign to promote divisive social and political messages on its network.

The company said $100,000 (£77,000) was spent on about 3,000
ads over a two-year period, ending in May 2017.

The ads did not back any political figures specifically, but instead posted on topics including immigration, race and equal rights.

Facebook said it was co-operating with a US investigation into the matter.

The advertisements directed users towards around 470 accounts that spread false information or were otherwise in breach of Facebook’s terms and conditions, the site said.

“The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum,” the company said in a blog post published on Wednesday."

Facebook uncovers 'Russian-funded' misinformation campaign - BBC News

I mean, we all know the parameters of Putin's Gerasimov Doctrine and nonlinear or asymmetric war, don't we? Of course there are bad Russian things going down.

It's not the lies...it's the collusion with the Trump campaign to spread those lies to a targeted audience that would make it illegal.

I'm not sure that's against the law, actually. Politicians pay people all the time to dig up dirt and spread lies...

I'm not sure that's against the law, actually. Politicians pay people all the time to dig up dirt and spread lies...

They pay americans to get dirt, not lies. Pacs do that a.d supposedly Independent of any campaign, otherwise it would be collision. Now involving a.forieng country removes all doubt. Now it's just a matter of who knows what and when they knew it.

Are Russians for some reason not allowed to buy ads on Facebook?

That's a rather loaded question, sir. So, let's take a more rational approach in answering your question.

If the Russian entity were an actual business advertising a product or a service and using Facebook as a marketing platform for lead generation, then I'd have no problem with them paying for advertising space from this social media platform. However, I do find it very interesting that those who have been so vocal against the lame stream media spreading "fake news" that you'd be so in favor of this Russian entity doing exactly that. You don't have a problem with Russian agents spreading fake news, but you have a problem with the "lame stream media" doing it. Why is there a difference considering social media as the potential of reaching as large an audience as print, television or radio.

This is what kills me about folks who complain so much about the media on the one hand yet seem to turn a blind eye about the alleged intrusion by Russian hackers and Russian media manipulation during the 2016 presidential election. People want to have their cake and eat it too on the grounds of free speech but refuse to even consider that what occurred wasn't "speech" but rather manipulation of our democratic process using fake stories to change public opinion from one candidate to another.

I think people really need to start asking themselves which side they're really on: Trump's/Russia or America's

I swear no allegiance to a man, but to a country. With that, you know where I stand. However, my hope is that the evidence vindicate Pres. Trump, I'd hate to see the man go down as a traitor to his country.

my question is simple, how we can keep our forum from paid - Olgino trolls and misinformation?

"
Facebook says it has discovered a Russian-funded campaign to promote divisive social and political messages on its network.

The ads did not back any political figures specifically, but instead posted on topics including immigration, race and equal rights.

The advertisements directed users towards around 470 accounts that spread false information or were otherwise in breach of Facebook’s terms and conditions, the site said.

“The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum,” the company said in a blog post published on Wednesday."

The promotion of divisive social and political mesaging isnt isolated to the Russians

Newp, its the MO for the Democratic party AND demagogues like Bernie Sanders

They use division and narratives based around class struggle to appeal to idiots because lets face it, they have nothing else to run their camapigns on

They pay americans to get dirt, not lies. Pacs do that a.d supposedly Independent of any campaign, otherwise it would be collision. Now involving a.forieng country removes all doubt. Now it's just a matter of who knows what and when they knew it.

No, it's. Matter of whether or not they lied and whether or not they were involved with the Trump campaign. The OP doesn't address anything about that now does it? That a foreign country expressed their official opinion or any kind of opinion on any candidate or any social program we have in any medium means absolutely NOTHING.

Your point being? Its called the world wide web for a reason my friend, are you saying they should not have a presence there in the least?

Not to mention Hawkeye makes more then a valid point of how outright idiotic this is.

Actually, he doesn't.

Facebook errored in not monitoring and/or policing the types of ads that were being placed on its network and from whom they originated. If such ads violated policy, they should have been removed long ago. Of course, that's not what Hawkeye01's arguing. He's arguing more along the lines of free speech towhich these fake ads from a foreign entity don't qualify.

As I stated previously, if these ads were from a foreign entity (I'll include the caveat of "established in the U.S.") as a business promoting a product or service, I'd have no problem with it. But that's not what happened here. It was an on-going attempt to spread fake news stories to sway public opinion. That's not advertising. That's propaganda.

"

"Reuters notes:
Facebook declined to release the ads themselves, ...
There is nothing to the Facebook Russia allegations. But the release of this nonsense nicely drowns out the real scandal:
Facebook fraudulently sells advertisement by falsely claiming precision, reach and impact for those ads that they do not have, nor ever can have."

Are you saying you have no idea how the criminal justice system works?

This is the relevant law that we correctly say "may have been broken". That is not for us to decide, see above.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/110.20

Or are you asking what crimes people were convicted of?

You do understand that it's an investigation into crimes.
That there is evidence of multiple crimes.
That the investigation may continue, as all such investigations of this size/scope do, for years.
That once it concludes, they will decide to recommend any of the crimes for prosecution to the (deputy) AG.
Who will then decide to pursue.
And then it would go through the legal process, which may include court proceedings, and an eventual verdict.

Are you saying you are ignorant of all these fact or that you're saying it to appear to be ignorant? Thankfully most people understand our legal system.

So an investigation into what crimes? Or is this another investigation looking for a problem?

I understand the legal system. One of it's most cherished provision is the presumption of innocence. Yet it seems that many have found somebody, not sure who, guilty of something, not sure what.

I asked a simple question of those who think somebody is guilty of something. To rephrase the question, what crimes, and who?

That's the benchmark now, isn't it. For everything. Is it legal? Yes? Then stop complaining. Everything from advertising on social media to the behaviour of the highest leaders in the country, so long as it's not actually indictable, it's acceptable.
You sure you're not conservative? Because this reliance on legislation to define the limits of acceptable behavior is a very conservative trait.
Know what? To hell with that. Lots of stuff that's perfectly legal shouldn't be tolerated and I don't mean it needs to be made illegal either. I mean it needs to have a spotlight shone on it, it needs to be pointed at and loudly protested and not left alone till the situation smartens up.

What's that saying..."You can't legislate morality".

a great story, brave girl Lyudmila Savchuk won her case against Olgino troll-house .

"This non-descript office building where the Kremlin houses its army of thousands of internet trolls. They have become infamous over the last year; spamming the World Wide Web with lies, misinformation and propaganda. But this part of the Kremlin's hybrid warfare aginast Ukraine and the West at large has been exposed by a Russian journalist. Lyudmila Savchuk calls it a troll factory and says she had spent two months there as an employee documenting the process of creating a wave of pro-Kremlin propaganda. "They get work specifications. There are several main topics including Ukraine, USA and the EU - in general all main topics which are on the agenda - and also Russian opposition. Main opposition figures are regularly insulted and discredited on the Internet." According to Savchuk, she and her fellow colleagues worked under tight control and signed a non-disclosure agreement. She also says the comments were made not only in Russian but in several other languages across different platforms."

Back
Top Bottom