• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook uncovers "Russia"-funded misinformation campaign

You DO know that's against the law, right?

i do know, and i know that Olgino paid - trolls dont brake all many , , many laws everyday . very few of them have been prosecuted ...i remember only the " Liza case"

If the Olgino trolls targeted certain voters in states where votes were crucial for a Trump win....it could imply that there was coordination with the Trump campaign since they were about the only ones that would've had that kind of information.

Are Russians for some reason not allowed to buy ads on Facebook?

I think they are just digging again for something, anything at this point.

With how progressive/tyrannical Facebook has gotten over the past year or so, I doubt this is something that this is just a coincidence. They would not of allowed such a function to continue had they actually been paying attention, or they are just pulling it out of their ass's at this point for use as more ammo.

This should be a no **** to anyone paying attention the last 2 years, but Trump has trained his followers well in the art of rationalization so...

Okay I'll bite, just what are his supporters rationalizing here?

they are allowed to spread KREMLIN PROPAGANDA . or you are ok with KREMLIN thugs ?

About as okay as you are with Progressive thugs, or Anarchist thugs.

The dots are being connected and we have more evidence about the Russian interference at the invitation of Donald Trump. Pretty soon, so many dots are connected that its simply going to be one big dot - Russian interfered in the election on the behalf of Donald Trump and his people helped make that possible colluding with them. That is what Mueller will determine and that is what the history books will tell us.

1. Believe nothing, question everything.

2. Ignore trolls.

3. Double-check everyone's research

:shrug:

I honestly would like to see all of these adds to see just what information was being said, or produced. It was readily available in the link, and I would like the information myself. Just to know if the things being said was actually misinformation, because we have seen some rather stupid reasons that facebook has killed off some pages.

Morning Joe just reported that interviews with FBI agents indicate that the Facebook effort is just the tip of the iceberg and was something of a beta test when launched in 2015 by Russia. Lots more will surface.

Now Facebook is policing it's users?

my question is simple, how we can keep our forum from paid - Olgino trolls and misinformation?

"
Facebook says it has discovered a Russian-funded campaign to promote divisive social and political messages on its network.

The company said $100,000 (£77,000) was spent on about 3,000
ads over a two-year period, ending in May 2017.

The ads did not back any political figures specifically, but instead posted on topics including immigration, race and equal rights.

Facebook said it was co-operating with a US investigation into the matter.

The advertisements directed users towards around 470 accounts that spread false information or were otherwise in breach of Facebook’s terms and conditions, the site said.

“The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum,” the company said in a blog post published on Wednesday."

Facebook uncovers 'Russian-funded' misinformation campaign - BBC News

Okay number 1 on my list is why are we hearing of this now?
We have seen how heavily Facebook has policed their pages over so much stupid crap for the past few years, and now they just somehow miss all of this junk sitting under their own damn noses.

Secondly I would like to see what all of this misinformation was, what the adds were saying, and what they were leading to. Because I have seen people saying simple conservative propaganda, that was not harmful in anyway, get their pages shut down very quickly.

I would be worried about a Russian propaganda campaign, though it already said that the information did not favor one party over the other. So what was the point of the information being given?

Those are just a few problems I have with this current issue.

About as okay as you are with Progressive thugs, or Anarchist thugs.
am I with Anarchic - commies ?

commies? we EastEuropeans are notorious commie haters, you know what commies did to my family ? to my people?

maxresdefault.jpg

images

images

my question is simple, how we can keep our forum from paid - Olgino trolls and misinformation?

"
Facebook says it has discovered a Russian-funded campaign to promote divisive social and political messages on its network.

The ads did not back any political figures specifically, but instead posted on topics including immigration, race and equal rights.

The advertisements directed users towards around 470 accounts that spread false information or were otherwise in breach of Facebook’s terms and conditions, the site said.

“The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum,” the company said in a blog post published on Wednesday."

Facebook uncovers 'Russian-funded' misinformation campaign - BBC News

Link above

Proves Facebook's political lean

The campaign was uncovered as part of Facebook's internal investigation into ways in which the network may have been abused during the last US presidential election campaign.

What's an olgino?

Are Russians for some reason not allowed to buy ads on Facebook?

They broke terms and conditions, what difference does it make?

What's an olgino?

"Russia's Online Troll Army Is Huge, Hilarious & Already Everywhere"

Trolls from Olgino is an Internet slang term which appeared in late 2014, referring to a series of fake accounts registered on major discussion boards (social networks, online newspaper sites, video hosting services, etc.) that were used for promoting the Russian authorities' point of view in topics involving domestic policy, Ukraine and the Middle East. The extent to which the Russian government tried to influence social media became widely known after a June 2014 BuzzFeed article greatly expanded on government documents published by hackers earlier that year.[2] Stemming from a December 2014 article, the term "Trolls from Olgino" gained worldwide media attention by June 2015, when one of the offices of a Russian company named Internet Research Agency, based in Saint Petersburg, was exposed as having data from fake accounts used for biased Internet trolling. Subsequently, there were news reports of individuals receiving monetary compensation for performing these tasks.[1]

Strategic

Russian newspaper Vedomosti links the approved by Russian authorities strategy of public consciousness manipulation through new media to Vyacheslav Volodin, first deputy of the Vladimir Putin Presidential Administration of Russia.[6][7]
Tactical

According to journalists’ investigations, the office in Olgino was named as Internet Research Agency Ltd. (Russian: ООО «Агентство интернет-исследований»).[3][8] The company was founded in the summer of 2013.[6]

Journalists also point out that Alexey Soskovets, who had participated in Russian youth political community, was directly connected to the office in Olgino. His company, North-Western Service Agency, won 17 or 18 (according to different sources) contracts for organizing celebrations, forums and sport competitions for authorities of Saint Petersburg. The agency was the only participant in half of those bids. In the summer of 2013 the agency won a tender for providing freight services for participants of Seliger camp.[3][9]

In 2014, according to Russian media, Internet Research Ltd. (Russian: ООО «Интернет исследования»), founded in March 2014, joined the agency's activity. Novaya Gazeta newspaper claim this company to be a successor of Internet Research Agency Ltd.[10] Internet Research Ltd. is considered to be linked to Yevgeny Prigozhin, head of the holding company Concord. The "Trolls of Olgino" from Saint Petersburg are considered to be his project. As of October 2014, the company belonged to Mikhail Bystrov, who had been the head of the police station at Moscow district of Saint Petersburg.[11]

Russian media point out that according to documents, published by hackers from Anonymous International, Concord is directly involved with trolling administration through the agency. Researchers cite e-mail correspondence, in which Concord gives instructions to trolls and receives reports on accomplished work.[5] According to journalists' information, Concord organized banquets in Kremlin and also cooperated with Voentorg and the Russian Ministry of Defence.[12]

Finnish journalist Jessikka Aro, who extensively reported on the pro-Russian trolling activities in Finland, was in response targeted by an organized campaign of hate, disinformation and harassment.
[13][14][15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolls_from_Olgino

am I with Anarchic - commies ?

commies? we EastEuropeans are notorious commie haters, you know what commies did to my family ? to my people?

maxresdefault.jpg

images

images

Do you not know the tragedies of human history? You are going to find much worse through the annals of time, just what your people have experienced. Nor my own people have not experienced the worst the world has to offer in its own cruelties.

Then again I don't let thugs online, or in person affect my ability to make rational decisions.

See post 2 in this thread for example.
Your point being? Its called the world wide web for a reason my friend, are you saying they should not have a presence there in the least?

Not to mention Hawkeye makes more then a valid point of how outright idiotic this is.

"

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41182519

Right they "discovered"....... They knew, they are embroiled in inflating thier advertising numbers and are using the claim that they "discovered" something they knew full well of as a distraction/

Scotus has ruled that money is speech and that the Constitution is not only for certified Americans....correct?

I say let's be consistent.

I also say that if the laws are bad then change the laws, and that letting some people slide because their genetics are "right" (black or brown skin) but jamming up others because we have decided that we dont like Em (Russians) is not Justice.

I dont like it either but how would you litigate it and perserve freedom of speech at the same time?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Yes - the Constitution is for Americans, and they can be any color. It isn't for Russians, and it doesn't give them the rights and privileges given to Americans. Freedom of speech is guaranteed for Americans. .

"

But But But But But ... that's Fake News. :roll:

If the Olgino trolls targeted certain voters in states where votes were crucial for a Trump win....it could imply that there was coordination with the Trump campaign since they were about the only ones that would've had that kind of information.

That's not against the law either.

i do know, and i know that Olgino paid - trolls dont brake all many , , many laws everyday . very few of them have been prosecuted ...i remember only the " Liza case"

Apparently you do not believe in free speech.
/

"

I wonder what a "fake account" on Facebook is and how that would violate Facebook terms. Have you any idea how many "fake accounts" there could be on Facebook? No offense, but reading the actual post by Facebook, I don't have any clear understanding of "the problem." They talk about click bait. Click bait is all OVER Facebook. Ads like "Robin McGraw is dead," are everywhere on the right-hand side of their pages. Or "thirty cute cat pictures" shown one photo at a time to generate clicks ABOUND.

And the FBI is investigating these? They might as well investigate the National Enquirer or Globe. We are devoting the FBIs limited resources to investigate fake accounts and misinformation? We suddenly don't have free speech in this country? ANYBODY can have a fake Facebook account. Sign up for a gmail account, pick your fake name, and you're off and running. I know a school teacher who has a fake account because he posts divisive information about DACA that would effect his career. He posts under a fake name for that reason.

So since this is your post, I ask you how you think Facebook can or should ban these so-called fake accounts. They sure do a piss-poor job of weeding out clickbait. It's everywhere. And if they're concerned about divisive posting? They should put a few hundred of their employees to work on simply clicking on the very ads they sell. This multi-billion-dollar company certainly has the personnel resources 'cause they sure don't have any people assigned to answer their phones for user questions.

This whole article smacks of ridiculous.

Apparently you do not believe in free speech.
/

LOL. do you qualified cave - lies and primitive propaganda as a free speech?

"Ridiculous lie on Russian TV: a child was crucified in Ukraine.

Russia" keeps exciting hatred to Ukrainians by staging fake news. This time Russia decided to humiliate itself below the threshold of human dignity by lying that a small child was demonstratively EXECUTED BY CRUCIFIXION in Eastern Ukraine. This fake news was shown by the Central Russian TV Channel "ORT", which is the main TV channel in Russia and the only channel in most Russia's suburbs. Russian TV has fallen long ago from making disgraceful news to simply committing crimes. But it seems like there is no lower limit for Russia to descent further. "The bigger the lie, the more it will be believed"- said Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Minister of Propaganda, whom Putin admires so much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiq9z... Russia closely follows the steps of fascist Germany of 1930's and the world will very soon have another hysterical nation ready for invasion of other countries."

Back
Top Bottom