• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook uncovers "Russia"-funded misinformation campaign

Litwin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
my question is simple, how we can keep our forum from paid - Olgino trolls and misinformation?

"
Facebook says it has discovered a Russian-funded campaign to promote divisive social and political messages on its network.

The company said $100,000 (£77,000) was spent on about 3,000
ads over a two-year period, ending in May 2017.

The ads did not back any political figures specifically, but instead posted on topics including immigration, race and equal rights.

Facebook said it was co-operating with a US investigation into the matter.

The advertisements directed users towards around 470 accounts that spread false information or were otherwise in breach of Facebook’s terms and conditions, the site said.

“The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum,” the company said in a blog post published on Wednesday."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41182519

my question is simple, how we can keep our forum from paid - Olgino trolls and misinformation?

"
Facebook says it has discovered a Russian-funded campaign to promote divisive social and political messages on its network.

The ads did not back any political figures specifically, but instead posted on topics including immigration, race and equal rights.

The advertisements directed users towards around 470 accounts that spread false information or were otherwise in breach of Facebook’s terms and conditions, the site said.

“The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum,” the company said in a blog post published on Wednesday."

Facebook uncovers Russia-funded misinformation campaign - BBC News

Are Russians for some reason not allowed to buy ads on Facebook?

"

This should be a no **** to anyone paying attention the last 2 years, but Trump has trained his followers well in the art of rationalization so...

Are you asking that about this forum?

they are allowed to spread KREMLIN PROPAGANDA . or you are ok with KREMLIN thugs ?

Are we for some reason not allowed to have an opinion on the fact that they've done so?

Are we for some reason not allowed to have an opinion on the fact that they've done so?

If your opinion is that selling ideas on facebook, even if you deem those ideas lies, might be a criminal act then I say if that is true then the laws are bad.

I say further that if the Russians did not violate our laws then you dont have much of a bitch.

Last edited:
If your opinion is that selling ideas on facebook, even if you deem those ideas lies, might be a criminal act then I say if that is true then the laws are bad.

If your opinion is that foreign attempts to buy influence over the American electoral process should be completely ignored, and legal under any and all circumstances, then I say you should reconsider

If your opinion is that foreign attempts to buy influence over the American electoral process should be completely ignored, and legal under any and all circumstances, then I say you should reconsider

Scotus has ruled that money is speech and that the Constitution is not only for certified Americans....correct?

I say let's be consistent.

I also say that if the laws are bad then change the laws, and that letting some people slide because their genetics are "right" (black or brown skin) but jamming up others because we have decided that we dont like Em (Russians) is not Justice.

Last edited:
Scotus has ruled that money is speech and that the Constitution is not only for certified Americans....correct?

I say let's be consistent.

I also say that if the laws are bad then change the laws, and that letting some people slide because their genetics are "right" (black or brown skin) but jamming up others because we have decided that we dont like Em (Russians) is not Justice.

You're going to have to go back and draw me a map explaining how the hell you got to this race baiting.

I dont like it either but how would you litigate it and perserve freedom of speech at the same time?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I dont like it either but how would you litigate it and perserve freedom of speech at the same time?

I would argue that money isn't speech.

Readers should be skeptical of what they read and they must learn to use critical analysis to evaluate the worth and reliability of the ideas and news reports they encounter. Russian kompromat and disinformation is usually easy to spot, as is Lithuanian anti-Russian preoccupation. Russian bears whispering half-truthes and the fearful murmurings from the Pillars of Gediminas are two sides of the same coin. The onus is on the reader to be careful and not buy into propaganda from any source.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

its funny but many Lenin - Stalin´s useful idiots ended up in GULAG , whats about Putin´s UI, do they know it?

74217099.jpg

Planet Money

August 25, 2017
#790: Rough Translation in Ukraine
Fake news from Russia helped spark a real war in Ukraine. What can Ukraine's fight against fake news teach the US?

only 28 min. great show about this subject

So you would outlaw Russia from buying ads on the internet?

So you would legalize bribery?

"

How do we know you're not a paid Olgino troll spreading misinformation?

How do we know you're not a paid Olgino troll spreading misinformation?

The greatest trick the Olgino troll ever played was convincing humanity he doesn't exist...hehe

I saw we start a new DP game to try to figure out who our Olgino trolls are. A site this size, there's gotta be at least one.

"

You DO know that's against the law, right?

1. Believe nothing, question everything.

2. Ignore trolls.

3. Double-check everyone's research

:shrug:

"

Yes and Facebook has been denying it for months.

Facebook reps told congressional investigators Wednesday that it had unwittingly sold ads during the presidential election to a Russian company that was targeting voters, a new report said Wednesday.

The officials said that they traced the ad sales worth $100,000 to a shadowy Russian “troll farm” with a history of pushing pro-Kremlin propaganda, The Washington Post reported, citing sources.

Some of the 3,300 ads, which first appeared in the summer of 2015, named eventual nominees Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton by name, the paper said.

Facebook came clean as congressional investigators and special counsel Robert Mueller are probing Russian meddling in the US election and whether there was collusion with the Trump campaign.

The president has denied the allegations of potential collusion, dismissing them as “fake news” and “a hoax.”
Facebook admits it sold political ads to shady Russians: report | New York Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b822a46da5b_story.html?utm_term=.e395f03e606c

What's interesting about this, if any American knew about this, they will be charged with a crime. No foreign country can put money into an American election.

CroweJ20161216_low.jpg

I imagine some heads are going to roll at Facebook.

Yes and Facebook has been denying it for months.

Facebook admits it sold political ads to shady Russians: report | New York Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b822a46da5b_story.html?utm_term=.e395f03e606c

What's interesting about this, if any American knew about this, they will be charged with a crime. No foreign country can put money into an American election.

CroweJ20161216_low.jpg

I imagine some heads are going to roll at Facebook.

facebook is just one platform which Kremlin thugs use in the hybrid war against western, democratic civilization

ps

fight back Olgino trolls with facts and truth :

Syria Gas Attack ‘False Flag’ Accusations And Why They’re Totally Wrong

On Tuesday at least 72 people were killed in what is widely believed to have been a nerve agent chemical attack by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.

But according to one of Donald Trump’s favourite news sources, Alex Jones’s Infowars, the reality is rather different.

“The White Helmets, an al-Qaeda affiliated group funded by George Soros and the British government, have reportedly staged another chemical weapon attack on civilians in the Syrian city of Khan Shaykhun to lay blame on the Syrian government.”

The Infowars article outlines a number of points which it claims all indicate a “false flag operation”, carried out as part of a shadowy New World Order plot to bring about regime change in Syria against the wishes of Assad’s main international ally, Russia.

Why? Well according to an Infowars broadcast on the subject, “Assad and the Putin regime [are the only things stopping] bankers taking over the ME”.

Here’s why they are very, very wrong.

1) ‘The White Helmets are an al-Qaida affiliated group’

This allegation originated in 21stCenturyWire, a pro-Assad website whose current front page includes stories such as “The West’s bizarre anti-Russia hysteria” and “FBI trove of 9/11 Pentagon photos refuels conspiracy suspicions”.

The original article failed to provide proof that the White Helmets had any ties to terrorist or rebel groups other than the fact they operate in some of the same areas which, seeing as their aim is to rescue those caught in government attacks, makes perfect sense.

2) The journalist who ‘knew the attack was going to happen’
From Infowars...

A day prior to the attack, Gulf-based Orient TV announced “Tomorrow we are launching a media campaign to cover the airstrikes on Hama country side including the usage of chemical warfare against civilians.” This shows clear foreknowledge that the rebels were going to stage an attack by Orient TV.

Again this is demonstrably false.

A translation of Karam’s Facebook post reads: “Tomorrow starting a media campaign to cover the density of air raids on rural #hama and use #chlorine _ poison against civilians.”

Hama is a completely different area to Idlib where Tuesday’s attack occurred.

etc.

Syria Gas Attack 'False Flag' Accusations And Why They're Totally Wrong | HuffPost UK

Back
Top Bottom