• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DACA Kids?

Duh. Do you refer to yourself or your friends and people around you as 'kids' just because you were at one time?

When the headline or politician says "The GOP is trying to kick kids out of the country" Do you honestly think they mean it any other way than to gather public sympathy and pull at heartstrings? Or, because they were kids when they entered the country 20 or so years ago. Please be honest.

I do occasionally refer to myself as a "70's kid," since you asked. I use anchor baby too when appropriate since I was born here less than 9 months after my folks arrived.

There are 500,000 million Indians and 500,000 Chinese who feel they have the same right to break in as she did.

Problem is with you, guy, is that you've bought into the InfoWars-worthy line that we on the Left want to open the door wide and let all the illegal immigrants in. If you would actually do some research, you'd find that we do NOT want to just let in a flood of illegal immigrants - that's just more conspiracy-theory bullcrap from right-wing pundits. What we DO want to do - what we've wanted to do for decades - is to look at the ones who are already here, get rid of the bad ones, keep the good ones and help them integrate into our society. We've got no problem with making our borders strong, but not with a freaking wall - we are NOT Cold-War Berlin!

But it sure seems like that's what Your Boy Trump wants to make America - instead of the land of the free, where regardless of one's race, color, or creed, one can come here and truly BE an American, he seems to want to make us Festung Amerika, land of white nationalism. Why do you think the "very fine" fellows over at the Daily Stormer love Trump so much?

So it boils down to this: what do you want America to be? Do you want us to be a place where race/color/creed are no obstacle to truly becoming an American? Or do you want a nation where nonwhites are effectively made second-class citizens thanks to white nationalism? You can have one or the other, but you can't have both.

I do occasionally refer to myself as a "70's kid," since you asked. I use anchor baby too when appropriate since I was born here less than 9 months after my folks arrived.

That was a non answer. I tried. :shrug:

That was a non answer. I tried. :shrug:

It was a solid answer. We all refer to ourselves as "kids" when talking about things that happened to us as kids. Besides. we all know the illegals in question were DACA kids.

Duh. Do you refer to yourself or your friends and people around you as 'kids' just because you were at one time?

When the headline or politician says "The GOP is trying to kick kids out of the country" Do you honestly think they mean it any other way than to gather public sympathy and pull at heartstrings? Or, because they were kids when they entered the country 20 or so years ago. Please be honest.

Do you have a few examples of headlines saying "kids" when referring to Dreamers? I don't actually think it's a problem. I tried to find examples and couldn't, but did find lots of articles that described the people affected honestly - they're mostly young adults, which makes sense because they aren't eligible to apply before age 15, and the big benefit is work permits.

"Brown people" vote in massive disproportion for the left and larger government.

So, if your goal is to shrink the size of the United States government and social programs, you are fundamentally opposed to third world migration. Unfortunately, demographics matter a **** ton in any democratic system.

Although I would agree the neocons are not about "small government" whatsoever, they at least pretend to parrot the talking points to the ignorant masses. Entire system needs some fixing if you ask me.

You don't get. R Senators and many Reps. along the border states live in majority Hispanic districts that were carried by HRC. Why do you think the Voting Rights Act has stalled and strict voter ID Laws are proposed all the time?

The Fact being that they All came here as Kids. So either one would have to be a complete idiot to not know this, or a Liar to trying and push this Lie as Truth, I am sure the readers can determine which applies.

The fact being that they should have filed for citizenship.
If over 70% of them are 21 then well they have to file for citizenship.

in fact they should have done it at 18. continuing to be here without permission they are breaking the law.

Mitch McConnell playing Russian Roulette with the health of 9 million kids, I just don't even know how anyone, even the most clueless and hidebound conservative, can think that this would make Republicans look good.
Even if they blame Democrats and accuse them of having an unhealthy obsession with illegal immigrants, almost 70 percent of Americans overall think they deserve a path to citizenship and a break.
How do they paper over that?

No one gives me a break if i break the law.
equal protection.

So it boils down to this: what do you want America to be? Do you want us to be a place where race/color/creed are no obstacle to truly becoming an American? Or do you want a nation where nonwhites are effectively made second-class citizens thanks to white nationalism? You can have one or the other, but you can't have both.

Forget being WHITE, you kidding? Here's a DOCTOR who came here from POLAND FORTY YEARS AGO as a child and was living here on a permanent green card.
When will a case like these become the final straw?

Kzoo doctor detained by ICE after 40 years in US | WOODTV.com

Niec_Lukasz_R.jpg

Do they, funny I do not see them saying the budget will not pass over chain migration, must be in your imagination. Never happen, so there is that.

That is part of "dreamers" that Schumer is trying to conflate with DACA. Dreamers, politically are different from DACA.

Sign off on DACA, then the next fight will be Immigration which means ending chain migration, and reaching a "deportation standard".

That is part of "dreamers" that Schumer is trying to conflate with DACA. Dreamers, politically are different from DACA.

Sign off on DACA, then the next fight will be Immigration which means ending chain migration, and reaching a "deportation standard".

I am fine with ending chain immigration, stupid idea to begin with, which is a different issue from DACA.

So why do they use the "kids" so much?

Sounds way better than any other term designed to elicit sympathy.

Here's the thing, though. They are not facing deportation due to what their parents did 20 years ago. DACA adults are facing deportation for still being here illegally yesterday.

The pubs are willing on give on DACA...the dems have to be willing to give more on the wall and reform.....you have to give to get....

Right now, the dems arent giving, they just want to take

I guess we will see how this plays out in the polls....but more importantly in the red states, where so many dems are vulnerable

I love Russian roulette....especially when I know which chamber the bullet is in

I think the Dems are playing with 5 rounds in the cylinder, and hoping they'll be correct the one time they pull the trigger'

Can you explain the difference? Trump said there is a difference, but I've never seen anyone explain what that difference is. It's common to refer to those protected by DACA as "Dreamers." How are those different political issues?

Perhaps...

Key facts about ?Dreamers? enrolled in DACA | Pew Research Center

I was going to post this under Bias, but figured I would just post here.

Most of the DACA recipients are adults (70% over the age of 21, less than 1% under 16), when you hear about DACA recipients Democrats and the MSM typically refer to them as kids in order to drive up sympathy from the average citizen. I'm so sick of the level of dishonesty from our politicians when trying to push legislation. (Both Republicans and Democrats)

In truth, I doubt there is huge support for kicking out any of the DACA people other than the criminal element among them no matter what age there are. But the proposal by Graham/Durban was to a) end the lottery VISA system which is a good thing, but it was in return for putting ALL the DACA people AND those Haitians, El Salvadorans, et al who are in the country under temporary protected status on an immediate path to citizenship. And they would end only about 10% or less of the chain migration that is currently happening. That would allow legalized DACA people et al to bring in millions and millions more of their relatives. And would do nothing about providing more funding for border security. And according to USA Today, there aren't several hundred thousand of DACA people but probably more like 3+ million.

Graham/Durban sold us all out big time with that proposal and President Trump was very wise to reject it.

Can you explain the difference? Trump said there is a difference, but I've never seen anyone explain what that difference is. It's common to refer to those protected by DACA as "Dreamers." How are those different political issues?

Perhaps...

DACA is a legal description applied to just those persons. They had to have arrived in the US before age 16 and have lived there since June 15, 2007. They could not have been older than 30 when the Department of Homeland Security enacted the policy in 2012. It was not a law.

Dreamers is a term that is not as precise and is used strategically by politicians to avoid the strict categories of DACA. It is publically used to describe DACA's, but in negotiations really means children of all illegal immigrants and is a much wider description.

DACA is a legal description applied to just those persons. They had to have arrived in the US before age 16 and have lived there since June 15, 2007. They could not have been older than 30 when the Department of Homeland Security enacted the policy in 2012. It was not a law.

Dreamers is a term that is not as precise and is used strategically by politicians to avoid the strict categories of DACA. It is publically used to describe DACA's, but in negotiations really means children of all illegal immigrants and is a much wider description.

Seems like a distinction without a practical difference to me given it's both enacting a permanent "DACA" like bill and the people affected that are being negotiated. "DACA" is the legislation, Dreamers are the people....

They were kids when brought here and yes many still are, nothing wrong with that. So you want to punish someone that had no say in being brought here, have grown up here, and often having no ties to any other country, how Christian of you.................

So called Christian values went away a long time ago.
Hell, they've been pissing on the Statue of Liberty so long she's yellow.

Key facts about ?Dreamers? enrolled in DACA | Pew Research Center

I was going to post this under Bias, but figured I would just post here.

Most of the DACA recipients are adults (70% over the age of 21, less than 1% under 16), when you hear about DACA recipients Democrats and the MSM typically refer to them as kids in order to drive up sympathy from the average citizen. I'm so sick of the level of dishonesty from our politicians when trying to push legislation. (Both Republicans and Democrats)

It is a tough issue. I am all for amnesty for the kids, from the sins of their parents. However, I contend that talk and action of legitimizing them is counter-productive unless we put a stop to illegal immigration as well.

Do they, funny I do not see them saying the budget will not pass over chain migration, must be in your imagination. Never happen, so there is that.

Must be nice to live in a world where unicorns prance in the fields.

Here - I'll give you an example of "chain migration". My wife came here back in '81. She finally got her citizenship, and petitioned her two brothers (which btw was no longer allowed even in the Obama administration), and it took twenty-five years for them to arrive here. They both have full-time jobs, and of their four children (combined) who are here, one's an E-5 in the Navy, one's in an Ivy-League university (and about to graduate with a degree in immunology), one's in college, and one's about to enter college.

Yeah, them immigrants are all bad, terrrrrrrrrrrible people who are just a grinding burden upon the taxpayers, I guess - we know that because YOU say so, never mind what I see with my own eyes....

Wait a minute. Are they immigrants people who come here legally? Nobody has a problem with legal immigration. Or are they here illegally and expect us to forgo the breaking of our laws and reward them for it. Makes a big difference.

Here - I'll give you an example of "chain migration". My wife came here back in '81. She finally got her citizenship, and petitioned her two brothers (which btw was no longer allowed even in the Obama administration), and it took twenty-five years for them to arrive here. They both have full-time jobs, and of their four children (combined) who are here, one's an E-5 in the Navy, one's in an Ivy-League university (and about to graduate with a degree in immunology), one's in college, and one's about to enter college.

Yeah, them immigrants are all bad, terrrrrrrrrrrible people who are just a grinding burden upon the taxpayers, I guess - we know that because YOU say so, never mind what I see with my own eyes....

Really?

I have new neighbors (a couple) from Russia. The woman's father came here 18 years ago, and their entry would have fallen under the Obama administration.

I think your facts are wrong, about Obama stopping chain immigration.

We need an immigration systems like other countries, where you cannot immigrate unless you can provide for yourself, or have a sponsor.

The Fact being that they All came here as Kids. So either one would have to be a complete idiot to not know this, or a Liar to trying and push this Lie as Truth, I am sure the readers can determine which applies.

Other lies have been told about DACA recipients, such as they contribute greatly to our military (900 out of 800,000 actually joined), they are our future white collar workers and high achievers (average pay is around $15 an hour) and that they don't take away jobs from Americans.

It is a tough issue. I am all for amnesty for the kids, from the sins of their parents. However, I contend that talk and action of legitimizing them is counter-productive unless we put a stop to illegal immigration as well.

I don't really see it as tough, it is the right thing to do. However, like you I agree that immigration reform and border security should be first otherwise we will be just going through this all over again. I would prefer to reform the welfare programs and simply let everyone come, however that simply isn't going to happen so a merit based system is needed.

Let them go to other western countries then and let them reap the economic boom of criminals residing in a foreign nation illegally.

All DACA recipients should be punished, deported, and not allowed re-entry until fines are paid for an assessment of tax payer benefits received, they have served punishments for violating our immigration laws, and they can prove to be of economic and tax benefit to the US.

And those that hired them for all these years will be given medals for their service I suppose? Their employers should be deported not them. Al long as there are open jobs they will keep coming and no wall can stop them. These are families that worked hard to better themselves. Isn't that American enough for you?

Back
Top Bottom