• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you boycotting Star Wars? [W:160]

Are You Boycotting Star Wars?

• Total voters
It rips off a lot from Star Wars, but it isn't Star Wars. It's a very different kind of movie.

How is it a different kind of movie? It's very much built off the bones of ANH.

It's Star Wars in pretty much every sense of the word. Now whether you like it or not is a different matter. I personally enjoyed Rogue One 1000× more than I did Episode 7, mainly because it was it wasn't a re-hash of the originals. And also because the entire movie was nothing short of amazing.

I didn't see the Ghostbusters remake, but I heard it was absurdly feminist. Did you see it? People pointed out that the main 4 characters in the original film were men, yet they used an all female cast for the remake.

I'm amazed no one picked up on the fact that it took a film written by a man, then rewritten by a man, and originally starring 4 male lead characters, to provide this brilliant vehicle for feminism in 2016. :lamo

Nope, didn't see it, had no interest.

It's Star Wars in pretty much every sense of the word. Now whether you like it or not is a different matter. I personally enjoyed Rogue One 1000× more than I did Episode 7, mainly because it was it wasn't a re-hash of the originals. And also because the entire movie was nothing short of amazing.

Because they simply don't make the kind of movies that they made at the time they made the original trilogy. The pacing, the writing, the effects, all of those things don't exist in Hollywood anymore. The prequels weren't Star Wars any more than Crystal Skull was Indiana Jones. It just had the wrong feel.

I don't care enough to boycott it. I probably won't see it on my own, and will go along to see it as a safe movie to watch with my family. I won't hate it, I [probably] won't like it, but it will be a perfectly unthreatening and unremarkable way to kill two hours.

Any money the movie would have lost from trumpies will have been more than made up for by the Chinese viewership, a fact that I'm satisfied will irritate them at least a little bit.

I would not suggest the movie for young children.

I agree Rogue One was a good movie. It felt more like a Star Wars movie than the last 4.
The force was strong in Jyn. I suspect that she did something while watching that shock wave come at them. The necklace I believe had everything to do with it.

No, I will not boycott Star Wars. The entertainment industry is full of leftists. It's been that way for YEARS. Outside of their creative talents, I really don't give a **** about these people. They're good at what they do, they aren't running, so I really don't care about their political opinions. I will sit there with my popcorn and watch them do the one thing they're useful for. And that is entertaining me.

Apparently, many Trumpettes are boycotting Star Wars. Mostly because a writer or two had the temerity to criticize Trump. So Trump people, are you boycotting Star Wars?

That seems dumb. Why do people, lately, want to bring politics into every distinctly different part of life?

Where I live, the neighborhood is separated by being labeled either Liberals, Conservatives or Religious. I call them the 'Pushers', because they're all constantly trying to sell their product. Only one couple gets along with everyone and one guy. The couple refuses to discuss their political opinion, therefore they keep it separate from all of their conversations. The guy nods and agrees with all sides, whomever he's talking to at the time. And since the two groups never associate with each other, they never figure out the guy is on both sides. Errr hrrrm... I won't say who the guy is (me). The reason the guy doesn't merely not discuss his political opinions is that it's much easier to nod and agree, then to get a barrage of questions to dodge, like the nice old couple does. And he actually does agree with certain issues on each side of the spectrum, which is where he tries to direct the topics. How any 'ONE' group thinks their lean is so unquestionably infallible boggles the imagination, unless they count lemmings when they sleep.

Nope. But then again I don't go see anything in the theaters. I'll wait until it's out on Bluray and watch it then, just like I do with every single movie I see.

This is me. Once in awhile if it's something I, or my daughter, really want to see I'll go to the movies but I still have to wait a couple weeks after it's released. I hate having to sit next to a stranger for about 2 hours and blowing a ton of money to do it.

I didn't see the Ghostbusters remake, but I heard it was absurdly feminist. Did you see it? People pointed out that the main 4 characters in the original film were men, yet they used an all female cast for the remake.

I'm amazed no one picked up on the fact that it took a film written by a man, then rewritten by a man, and originally starring 4 male lead characters, to provide this brilliant vehicle for feminism in 2016. :lamo

My daughter wanted to see it and it wasn't that bad. Yeah it's not exactly an original concept but if you can try to accept it as a different movie and not compare it to the older version it's more enjoyable. If you guys want to remake Sex and the City or some other all female movie, I won't complain. :2razz:

Apparently, many Trumpettes are boycotting Star Wars. Mostly because a writer or two had the temerity to criticize Trump. So Trump people, are you boycotting Star Wars?

Regardless of what some liberals may think, most Americans have little time to spend on foolish political triviality.

Regardless of what some liberals may think, most Americans have little time to spend on foolish political triviality.

Wow, this has to be the stupidest post of the week.

Nice job!

This is me. Once in awhile if it's something I, or my daughter, really want to see I'll go to the movies but I still have to wait a couple weeks after it's released. I hate having to sit next to a stranger for about 2 hours and blowing a ton of money to do it.
I reserve theaters to an occasional "big splash" special effects movie maybe once every couple years, on average. Some people claim they can get the same or better effect at home, but they're lying to themselves trying to justify in their own minds the spending of large amounts of money for their stuff. :2razz:

Oh, and I will do an occasional "date night" at the theater to please the wife, but those are just for fun and for something different for us. :)

Didn't know this was an issue. I googled it and I can see all the alt-left fake news sites are running with it. It appears the issue did prompt Disney to issue a statement.

Like you, I'm wondering how many out of the 60 plus million who voted for Trump, are calling for this.

Is it more a typical political move by the alt-left media dog whistle blowers to inflate the actual sentiment?

I'm more apt to think that is the case.

Considering what the brainless actors say on a regular basis, Trump supporters would be calling for boycotts of most of the stuff that comes out of "Hollywood". Since I'm not aware that is the case, IMO, this issue clearly has no legs, and the numbers are so small as to be meaningless.

Last edited:
I reserve theaters to an occasional "big splash" special effects movie maybe once every couple years, on average. Some people claim they can get the same or better effect at home, but they're lying to themselves trying to justify in their own minds the spending of large amounts of money for their stuff. :2razz:

Oh, and I will do an occasional "date night" at the theater to please the wife, but those are just for fun and for something different for us. :)

Haha I used to drag my husband to the movies but then realized we were paying for him to get a two hour nap. The man cannot seem to stay awake for any movie so that's another reason we watch at home.

Haha I used to drag my husband to the movies but then realized we were paying for him to get a two hour nap. The man cannot seem to stay awake for any movie so that's another reason we watch at home.
We just do it occasionally as something different to do as a couple.

We also have a local theater that plays second-run movies that also has REAL BUTTER for their popcorn (claim to be the only theater in the state for that) that is inexpensive. We like to go there, and it makes for a fun evening and change-of-pace.

Not boycotting, just have no interest. The original cast's fleeting moments are the only reason i'd watch any of the post Lucas ones. Otherwise these mindless action cash ins have nothing to do with the original trilogy and are no different from any other crappy action flick. 'The force' was unique but ran out of mystery after Empire and it probably should've ended then, maybe half of Jedi

The events leading to the original trilogy would've been better left to the imagination, but "ep 7" immediately sets out to undo everything that was great about star wars

Good grief who was I just talking to about stuff like this. Being wound so tight seems like counterproductive work which is probably self harming. If you are going to a "star wars" movie and you have REAL thoughts of american politics or feminism or racism etc you are doing it wrong. Life is too short to be so overwhelmingly childlike emotionally and nonsensically challenged like that. If anybody really does have those feelings I suggest getting some help with your serious issues. This way you can enjoying yourself, friends, family and life much more and hopefully become more in touch with reality, more sane, more rational and less sociopathic.

If you have thoughts of anything at a large budget you're doing it wrong, since you're required to turn your brain off in order for the plethora of plot holes and plagiarism to go unnoticed

Having seen the movie I would suggest you boycott the previous one, this movie (Rogue One) is one of the best Star Wars movies ever. :mrgreen:

Having seen the movie I would suggest you boycott the previous one, this movie (Rogue One) is one of the best Star Wars movies ever. :mrgreen:

It is it good because nostalgia? Is it good because it's not the prequels? Or is it good in its own right?

Genuinely curious. No spoilers, please.

Abrams made the Star Trek Reboot, it was really well done.

The Star Trek reboot is ass. It took the show out of Sci-Fi and into subpar, standard, 2010's action movie.

Die hard Trump supporter here.

But not in so far as supporting him interferes with anything else I support or enjoy.

Saw the new Star Wars yesterday and in my opinion it immediately displaced New Hope as the #2 film in the franchise (Empire being #1 and the rest of them more or less sucking to an equal degree that they tie collectively for #4).

I don't watch feminist movies, but I wouldn't call what I'm doing a boycott.
What makes you think it's a feminist movie? I'm asking what you think, not what others have claimed?

Not boycotting, just have no interest. The original cast's fleeting moments are the only reason i'd watch any of the post Lucas ones. Otherwise these mindless action cash ins have nothing to do with the original trilogy and are no different from any other crappy action flick. 'The force' was unique but ran out of mystery after Empire and it probably should've ended then, maybe half of Jedi

The events leading to the original trilogy would've been better left to the imagination, but "ep 7" immediately sets out to undo everything that was great about star wars

These movies like the second batch of three are just a means to latch on to success of the original series. To be honest though, I think the original movies kind of sucked. The main character was a weakling, the bad guy was lame, and the story line was pretty stupid.

Back
Top Bottom