• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What city would you most like to visit (please read OP)

Before I take my dirt nap I’d love to go to Prague.
My wife and I have pretty much been to most major cities in the US but given today’s social turmoil I don’t know as I’d want to go back to any of them. I have to say we agreed that the cleanest US city we’ve been to is Salt Lake City, Utah. If anything more in the US it would be national parks and state fairs.
I spent a lot of time in Prague in the early 90's, a friend moved there (he is or is not CIA), and the Czech airline always gave me free tix, wonderful place.

I spent a lot of time in Prague in the early 90's, a friend moved there (he is or is not CIA), and the Czech airline always gave me free tix, wonderful place.

I spent a couple hours today talking to the owner of the local pastry shop which offers exclusively Czech baked goods.
She told me of her life in Prague when young.

I spent a couple hours today talking to the owner of the local pastry shop which offers exclusively Czech baked goods.
She told me of her life in Prague when young.
The beer, the microskirts, the nightlife. It was amazing when I first went there, no chains, no McDonalds, no Hard Rock. The signs at stores were stark and grim, "Restaurant", "Shoe Store", etc. Not eating beef or pork was very hard, because that was the only thing anyone had. I had to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant run by the Vietnamese embassy. It was passable.

no chains, no McDonalds, no Hard Rock.

I dream of chain free areas. No Outback, no Chick-fil-A, no clown, no Houlihan's...
When I was young, we did not have this shit. All the restaurants were authentic and all were on their own side of town.

I dream of chain free areas. No Outback, no Chick-fil-A, no clown, no Houlihan's...
When I was young, we did not have this shit. All the restaurants were authentic and all were on their own side of town.
Once the chains came, I was in Prague once and there were 2 American girls behind me, they said "do you think he speaks English?" (I dressed to look as local as possible), One came up to me and asked if I could tell her where the Hard Rock Cafe was. I threw together a few words in Czech, and some nearly authentic Eastern European gibberish and gave her a very long, unintelligible response. She said thanks, and they started to walk away, I then said, in perfect English "Don't go there, its full of dumb tourists, go find a real Czech pub!" Oh, the shocked look on their faces...LOL

Once the chains came, I was in Prague once and there were 2 American girls behind me, they said "do you think he speaks English?" (I dressed to look as local as possible), One came up to me and asked if I could tell her where the Hard Rock Cafe was. I threw together a few words in Czech, and some nearly authentic Eastern European gibberish and gave her a very long, unintelligible response. She said thanks, and they started to walk away, I then said, in perfect English "Don't go there, its full of dumb tourists, go find a real Czech pub!" Oh, the shocked look on their faces...LOL
I have the same story. A Hard Rock opened on 57th in Manhattan. All the tourists flooded the place. It was sickening to see the herds of idiots stand in line to graze there.

I have the same story. A Hard Rock opened on 57th in Manhattan. All the tourists flooded the place. It was sickening to see the herds of idiots stand in line to graze there.
Only Hard Rock I ever went into was in Reykjavik, before it became a tourist destination. It was pretty desperate because Iceland only had two good rock bands/stars (Bjork and The Sugar Cubes which Bjork was a member).

1) which city in you own country would you most like to visit that you never have.
I'd never been there, but I was skeptical and not crazy about vacationing in Manhattan. But Mrs. Cougar talked me into it last summer.

It was awesome! We went to jazz clubs, went to the Met, ate at some fantastic restaurants, even rode the subway at night -- no problem. Had a spectacular time!

I've walked Paris streets for hours and hours. I always find something charming - a little park or square, unexpected fountains and nice little bistros.
It's one of my favorite cities in the world. We took some friends there last time we went and they were very deliberative about what they wanted to do and wanted to plan everything out. I told them, "It's Paris, you can't **** it up. Just walk out of our airbnb and pick a direction."

I'm a US citizen. I've never been to Alaska. I'd love to tour the entire state, including the National Parks.
We lived vicariously through
Traveling Robert Alaska
Google it like that and the entire series comes up.
He travels the entire state with his RV.

Two which city questions.
1) which city in you own country would you most like to visit that you never have. Those from Europe please consider Europe one country for this.
2) which city in another country would you most like to visit that you never have?
Quebec City
Columbo, Sri Lanka or Kyoto, Japan.

edit- Ulan Bator. For some reason Mongolia interests me.

Last edited:
Two which city questions.
1) which city in you own country would you most like to visit that you never have. Those from Europe please consider Europe one country for this.
None. I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere (translation: many national parks are where I intend to go).
2) which city in another country would you most like to visit that you never have?
Pompei.

My son loved Prague, said he could spend days just on the Charles Bridge. Said the city had been untouched by the war and that counted for a lot.

We lived vicariously through
Traveling Robert Alaska
Google it like that and the entire series comes up.
He travels the entire state with his RV.
Yah, from what I've seen it's beautiful country! I will google that phrase! Thanks :)

Ive been to Toronto/Mississauga a few times and I love the city. I feel very at home. I live not far from Cleveland, so Toronto is closer to me than Chicago. Its about 2 hours to Buffalo and then across the border into Canada.

Ive been to Montreal 3x but never to Quebec City.

I've been to many towns in Canada and enjoyed them all many times. However, I have never been to Toronto. Everyone seems to like Toronto. I will make it there yet.

IMHO Quebec City is as close to being European than any other city in North America. I like it.

Prague is beautiful!

Sadly because of Global Warming (whatever cause you believe in) the river doesn't freeze over anymore and you don't see the ice skaters out on the ice anymore.
I have an old photo of my father on the ice as a young man there.

I've been to many towns in Canada and enjoyed them all many times. However, I have never been to Toronto. Everyone seems to like Toronto. I will make it there yet.

IMHO Quebec City is as close to being European than any other city in North America. I like it.
Toronto has the culture of NYC or Chicago but much cleaner, welcoming and more polite. Lately it can be very expensive.

I was to Montreal first in HS as part of the French club on spring break. I went back in 1995 for the Canadian GP and then to be with a friend who had surgery there.

1. I am fortunate to have traveled most of the US. One place I have not been - not a town - is the Oregon coast.

2. Thimpu, Bhutan

My son loved Prague, said he could spend days just on the Charles Bridge. Said the city had been untouched by the war and that counted for a lot.
Yeah, versus Warsaw, which was not all that pretty...

1. I am fortunate to have traveled most of the US. One place I have not been - not a town - is the Oregon coast.

2. Thimpu, Bhutan
I would love to go to Bhutan, mostly for the incredibly wild flight in and out of there. Its a very high elevation airport at Paro, and its limited to the size of aircraft, pilots flying into there have to be certified to do it.

Hey, no fair!
City in the UK that I'd like to visit and never have - York or Chester. Been to most other British cities (the ones I'd want to) but these are two cities (only because they have a Cathedral and a castle - that's what you need for a city in the UK) packed with history going back at least as far as the Romans.
Cities in Europe (can't count Europe as one country) - Copenhagen in Denmark, Berlin, Germany or Nice in France.

In Asia: Taipei in Taiwan, or Tokyo in Japan. One of these could be my summer birthday present to myself.
In the Americas: New Orleans, or Atlanta in the USA. Quebec in Canada. Buenos Aires in Argentina. La Paz, Bolivia and Santiago in Chile.
On the African continent: Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania.

Back
Top Bottom