• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:1] NFL Off-season Thread 2024

I dont really get the QB shuffle that has gone on this off season. Instead of developing QB talent and putting better pieces in place, many of the teams keep trading for mid tier QBs that are capable...but arent playoff or SuperBowl caliber teams.

The 49ers have Brock Purdy....and Purdy is a good talent. He doesnt by himself make the 49ers a SB contender...but he is competent and capable and supports the overall team effort.

If you go back the last 30 years and take away QBs not named Brady or Mahomes...you have a lot of good teams with competent and capable QBs.

Last season a whole bunch of starting QBs got injured.. Backups all of a sudden become very important...

I think because of that, we're seeing that in many of these FAs signing.. Everybody sees that a 17 game season means you need a competent backup QB..

Mike Tomlin absolutely has a great record for mediocrity. If I want a coach who maybe will get our team into the playoffs but lose in the first round I want Mike Tomlin. If I want to pick 20th in the draft every year Mike is the guy. He has done a great job of bringing over a mediocre QB to replace the absolute bust he drafted.
Steelers have a general manager who does the drafting - Tomlin doesn't - he may offer advice, but the decision isn't his.

I've been a Steelers fan since the 1960s - I suffered through the years where the Steelers couldn't find a good replacement for Terry Bradshaw until Ben Roethlisberger came along. A competent QB is essential for a winning team - I think they have two upgrades now with Wilson and Fields.

I'll grant you that the Steelers, mainly because of injuries, haven't had much success in the playoffs for several years now, but they've made significant improvements this off-season and I expect they'll make it into first or second in the division next year, battling with the Bengals for top spot.

I have a lot of respect for Bucky Brooks. I think he is way over hyping Russ here. Two future Hall of Fame coaches sent him packing. They did this for good reason. I fully expect Russ to have a decent season. This is great for the Broncos because the Steelers will end up signing Wilson to a long term contract. This will officially take Russ off of our payroll. This is horrible news for Steeler fans. Not only do they now have a creep of a QB they are locked into several more years of mediocrity. Steeler fans will initially fall in love with the obvious upgrade at QB only to quickly grow tired of his cringe personality just like Seahawk and Bronco fans did. What’s worse is you will quickly realize the limitations he has at being a QB.

Do you actually read what you post before you post it? Steelers are going to realize they made a mistake with Wilson but they are going to sign him to a long term contract - seriously? Wilson will be quite happy to collect from the Broncos until that contract runs out while he gives his new team, the Steelers, a low cost break. Steelers are the premier team in the NFL - they don't make dumb moves. BTW. your insider source with the Bears didn't have the Fields story right.

I don't think you understand Steeler's football.

Russ Wilson will be the starter the entire season unless he gets hurt. I expect Fields will get some playing time aka Antwaan Randle El or Taysom Hill.

Shocked at this move. Steelers have done more this offseson than the past 20 years combined. And Khan is turning into a Steeler's legend.

Wilson and Fields are signed for only this year, so the Steelers take little financial risk in getting both quarterbacks.

Fields is a watered-down version of Lamar Jackson, minus the upside. The Bears had to build the team around Fields completely. What did that get them? A quarterback who could barely complete 60% of his passes, not even a playoff appearance.

But the Steelers need a decent backup option if Wilson gets hurt or struggles. Fields at least makes the Steelers a dynamic running team.

They also got decent traction from Kordell Stewart. I believe they went to the AFC Championship twice with him as QB.

Do you actually read what you post before you post it? Steelers are going to realize they made a mistake with Wilson but they are going to sign him to a long term contract - seriously? Wilson will be quite happy to collect from the Broncos until that contract runs out while he gives his new team, the Steelers, a low cost break. Steelers are the premier team in the NFL - they don't make dumb moves. BTW. your insider source with the Bears didn't have the Fields story right.

The Steelers drafted Kenny Pickett. Brilliant!

They also draft Chase Claypool and George Pickens.

The Steelers clearly don't care about character because they draft a lot of dirt bags.

Are you actually saying you would rather have Russel Wilson than Lamar Jackson?
I would never want Lamar Jackson as the Steelers' QB. I'd rather have Mason Rudolph. Nobody can predict the future, but I'm quite happy to see the Steelers with Wilson and Fields going forward - their effectiveness will largely depend on what their OC concocts for them and their offensive line maturing into something good.

The Steelers drafted Kenny Pickett. Brilliant!

They also draft Chase Claypool and George Pickens.

The Steelers clearly don't care about character because they draft a lot of dirt bags.
LOL this from the big supporter of the Cheatriots and Bill Cheatlichik - you would be an expert on dirt bags!

Unlike the Cheatriots, the Steelers have great success drafting receivers anywhere in the draft and turning them into terrific players and they move on when they think they're done - the NFL is populated with former Steeler receivers.

Wilson and Fields are signed for only this year, so the Steelers take little financial risk in getting both quarterbacks.

Fields is a watered-down version of Lamar Jackson, minus the upside. The Bears had to build the team around Fields completely. What did that get them? A quarterback who could barely complete 60% of his passes, not even a playoff appearance.

But the Steelers need a decent backup option if Wilson gets hurt or struggles. Fields at least makes the Steelers a dynamic running team.

They also got decent traction from Kordell Stewart. I believe they went to the AFC Championship twice with him as QB.

Kordell Stewart was absolutely dreadful except for his wheels. Still went to the AFC championship game against Tom Brady and were in it until the end when Stewart did what he always did and overthrew a receiver for int to seal the deal for the hated Patriots.

I don't believe we're getting anything great with 35 year old Wilson but for anyone who is a true Black and Gold fan, Wilson at 60% of his prime is still a massive upgrade to what we've had the past 3-4 years. Heck a couple years back we had a qb nicknamed "Duck" who won a couple games for us and his play resembled his nickname. A halfway decent Wilson should get us somewhere between 10 -12 wins and possibly a playoff win or so. Well,...if we get a center.

Fields was the only reason I watched the barely bears. I wouldn’t accuse Wilson of being a starting QB either. **** bear management.
Fields sucked. He was an RB, not a QB. I cant believe how stupid so many Bears fans are for liking him.

Now theyre gonna get CW and thats awesome. I hope they sit him for a year and go with Bagent man as starter for 2024.

Fields sucked. He was an RB, not a QB. I cant believe how stupid so many Bears fans are for liking him.
The Bears sucked horribly AROUND Fields with now a 2nd horrible organization. The very offensive line got him way too many head shots and the league let it go. I’m no longer surprised at your moronic musings.
Now they're gonna get CW and thats awesome.
You are referring to the crybaby on TV who wouldn’t take a physical and has his asshole father as an agent. Real men like CJ Stroud, Richardson and Fields don’t sit their 1st year.
hope they sit him for a year and go with Bagent man as starter for 2024.
Your NFL takes are as bad as those of @Bucky and @Mongidig

All this Bears org cares about is a new stadium and getting a Super Bowl.

Last edited:
The Bears sucked horribly AROUND Fields with now a 2nd horrible organization. The very offensive line got him way too many head shots and the league let it go. I’m no longer surprised at your moronic musings.
The Bears did suck around Fields. Fields was the reason he got hit so much. He held on to the ball too long. The offensive line isn’t bad.

You are referring to the crybaby on TV who wouldn’t take a physical and has his asshole father as an agent. Real men like CJ Stroud, Richardson and Fields don’t sit their 1st year.
What about guy’s like Mahomes, Rodgers and Jackson. They sat at least the first year. If a team has a solid vet the rookie can learn from them. History show’s it’s best to sit the kid for a year. It’s obviously not their choice to sit so questioning their manhood is silly.

I hope they sit him for a year and go with Bagent man as starter for 2024.
This is clearly not going to happen. CW will start day one.

What about guy’s like Mahomes, Rodgers and Jackson. They sat at least the first year. If a team has a solid vet the rookie can learn from them. History show’s it’s best to sit the kid for a year. It’s obviously not their choice to sit so questioning their manhood is silly.
Who do the Bears have that is the solid vet behind the crybaby?

The Bears did suck around Fields. Fields was the reason he got hit so much. He held on to the ball too long. The offensive line isn’t bad.
The ****in Bear org allowed Fields to take head shots in preseason.

The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott have reached a new contract agreement, but it is not the one many have been anticipating.

According to ESPN’s Field Yates, the Cowboys converted a $5 million roster bonus that Prescott was due on Sunday into a signing bonus. The minor tweak created around $4 million in salary cap space for Dallas and reduces Prescott’s 2024 salary cap number from nearly $60 million to $55.5 million.

Otherwise known as no big deal...

A halfway decent Wilson should get us somewhere between 10 -12 wins and possibly a playoff win or so. Well,...if we get a center.
This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.

‘The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” Michelangelo. “ .

I have no idea why the Bears came back for more after we traded them Chase Claypoole for what turned out to be basically a #1 which got us Joey Porter jr. Not a big Fields fan but with our history trading with the Bears he'll probably turn out to be another steal.

I have no idea why the Bears came back for more after we traded them Chase Claypoole for what turned out to be basically a #1 which got us Joey Porter jr. Not a big Fields fan but with our history trading with the Bears he'll probably turn out to be another steal.
InB4 👁️ could scream it on Claypool.

The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott have reached a new contract agreement, but it is not the one many have been anticipating.

According to ESPN’s Field Yates, the Cowboys converted a $5 million roster bonus that Prescott was due on Sunday into a signing bonus. The minor tweak created around $4 million in salary cap space for Dallas and reduces Prescott’s 2024 salary cap number from nearly $60 million to $55.5 million.

Otherwise known as no big deal...
I honestly think the Cowboys let Prescott play out his contract this season and then move on from him. Of course I could be wrong because who knows what Jerry Jones is going to do.

Back
Top Bottom