• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:1] NFL Off-season Thread 2024

Damn do I miss the NFL when it's offseason but all the shit talking gets me pumped up for opening day.
LOL I hope the Bears get picked for Hard Knocks. It'll be fun.

You better hope Trey Lance is ready. I suppose Russel Wilson or Justin Fields would be available.

The problem with Dallas is that Jerry Jones does not know how to manage the salary cap.

The Cowboys do a good job of drafting, signing free agents, and even trades, but Jones foolishly overpays to re-sign his players - Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Michael Gallup,, etc.. etc..

Prescott should have been re-signed a year or two earlier before he got his mega contract. It destroyed the Cowboy's salary cap.

Patriots are reportedly willing to listen to offers for the #3 pick in the draft. Maybe they have their eyes set on one of the QBs expected to go later in the 1st or 2nd round, because I doubt they're serious about going into the season with Brissett as the starter.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Even though they signed Daniel Jones to a $160 million deal last year, New York Giants general manager Joe Schoen and coach Brian Daboll have the green light from ownership to draft a quarterback, if they so desire.

The Giants currently hold the sixth pick in an especially strong quarterback draft.

"If they fall in love with a quarterback and believe that it's worth pick No. 6 or moving up, I certainly would support that," owner John Mara said Monday at the NFL owners meetings.

Jones time might be up..

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Even though they signed Daniel Jones to a $160 million deal last year, New York Giants general manager Joe Schoen and coach Brian Daboll have the green light from ownership to draft a quarterback, if they so desire.

The Giants currently hold the sixth pick in an especially strong quarterback draft.

"If they fall in love with a quarterback and believe that it's worth pick No. 6 or moving up, I certainly would support that," owner John Mara said Monday at the NFL owners meetings.

Jones time might be up..
It's hard to rely on a QB with major neck issues.

These new tackling rules are going a long way to making all NFL games flag football. The new kick off rules are a joke. You can only do a onsides kick if you are behind and it has to be in the 4th Q only. Oh, and you have to inform the other team you will onsides kick.

Looks like NFL kickoffs are fundamentally changing.

Makes sense to reduce injuries. Could be more interesting than watching a commercial, then watch balls sail thru the end zone before a commercial starts.

Looks like NFL kickoffs are fundamentally changing.

Makes sense to reduce injuries. Could be more interesting than watching a commercial, then watch balls sail thru the end zone before a commercial starts.
Means there are definitely changes coming to the onside kick...

These new tackling rules are going a long way to making all NFL games flag football. The new kick off rules are a joke. You can only do a onsides kick if you are behind and it has to be in the 4th Q only. Oh, and you have to inform the other team you will onsides kick.
I'd rather see these rules get implemented than have to watch a bunch of back-ups playing because the starters got cheap shotted out of the game.

The roughing the passer replay was a given after last year..

I'd rather see these rules get implemented than have to watch a bunch of back-ups playing because the starters got cheap shotted out of the game.
I dont want to see flag football. With all the restrictions on tackling now how exactly can you tackle someone?

Yahoo! Sports with all the rules changes for the 2024 season: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-rules-roundup-all-the-new-rules-for-the-2024-season-202958568.html

1: Kickoffs are radically changing
-Discussed in posts above, explained in detail here. On balance, this is a major win for the game compared to the current kickoff rules. The new onside kick rule where you can only do them in the 4th quarter and only if you're losing is, in my opinion, the only drawback. There's no problem this will fix, so far as I can see. I think the *barf* Eagles actually had the better onside kick alternative, involving a 4th-and-20 scenario starting on their own 20-yard line. But the rest of the kickoff changes serve to reinstate the kickoff as having a real change to be a significant factor. I've liked this style ever since I saw the XFL try it, and (especially with the stupid "everything's a touchback" experiment they tried last year) always wondered how the NFL could adapt it to their use. CBS Sports reports a difference of less than two yards in average return between the N and XFL, while the difference in kicks returned is a staggering 22% (NFL) to 97% (XFL). As I said, overall, this is great and I am eager to see how these changes affect the game.

2: The hip-drop tackle is banned
-This has the potential to be the worst change made this year. According to the guy at the presser, this type of tackle is used about once per game, on average. And it has a statistically higher rate of injury for the tackled player. If it's as rare as stated, it doesn't seem like a big deal. But I read the actual text of the new rule, and saw some examples of what they were talking about, and this is going to be this year's "I don't know what constitutes X" anymore. Recall in previous years, sometimes year after year, we've had controversial calls and the commentators at the time, or player & coaches afterward, would note they no longer know what constitutes pass interference, roughing the passer, or "a football move," to name a few, because of how certain things are being called. I predict one of two things (or possibly both) will happen with this rule: it will be called more than once per game due to the inherent subjectivity involved, or average yards per carry/after catch will go up because tackles will be missed due to not wanting to draw a 15-yarder for a tackle that might break the rule (or, even worse, doesn't but is called as such on the field).

3: NFL trade deadline will be one week later
-Okay. Don't really care one way or the other.

4: Coaches get a third challenge
-I always thought it was odd that you only get a third challenge if you win both your first two. It makes the challenge system more coherent, but otherwise I could take it or leave it. I'd actually prefer a system that lets you challenge as many times as you want, so long as you have timeouts to pay for them, but...

To be continued...

...continued

5: Enforcement of fouls on change-of-possession plays
-I think this is good, and was puzzled by why they weren't enforced before. Sure, a change of possession is a big price to pay, but personal fouls are usually pretty easy to avoid.

6: Changes to replay
-Being able to review penalties that are often quite consequential (like roughing the passer) is probably a good thing. The change is limited to being able to correct "objectively wrong" calls like whether a quarterback took a hit to the head, or (in the case of grounding) whether he was outside the pocket (and, presumably, whether he was forward of the line of scrimmage). We'll have to see how this is implemented, and if it's an honest and objective evaluation, it'll be good. However, it has the potential to be a bust like the rule allowing review of pass interference several years ago.

7: Designated to return players during playoffs
-I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I fear it is similar to the NHL's long-term injured reserve rules that were exploited (fairly or unfairly) by team like the Tampa Bay Lightning in the playoffs a couple years ago. One of their stars, Nikita Kucherov, was out with an injury for most of the season and was placed on LTIR. When a player is on LTIR, their salary is not counted against the team for salary cap purposes. TB acquired players to fill Kucherov's hole and made other changes that brought the team back up to the cap without Kuch on the ice. The twist is this: a player coming off LTIR in the postseason has no cap hit. Tampa Bay sailed through the playoffs and won their third consecutive Stanley Cup with a team that was $14 million over the cap. Now, did they cheat and delay a healthy Kucherov's return until the postseason (banned by rule)? Was it a coincidence? I dunno. Was it even really a factor, since (as I mentioned), the Bolts had already won the cup two years running and obviously had a strong base to begin with? Who can say? I do know there was much speculation about it. I hope that's not what this is.

8: Emergency quarterbacks
-Seems to make sense that you can pull from outside your normal roster if all your QBs are jacked up. But I could probably be easily convinced this is a bad idea because I haven't really put much thought into it.

Where is my favorite analyst?

I never heard a single defensive player complain when chop blocks were banned. Or crackback blocks. Or any blocks to the back. Player safety rles make sense....or they dont...but you cant have it both ways. You cant protect the defensive players safety and then just say...well...football is a vilent game and people get hurt. Because...its true...football IS a violent game...and people get hurt...but there is no call for horse collar tackles, or hip drops, or gator rolls, or for the defensive player deliberately driving their whole body weight into a player during a tackle.

I grew up playing the game and I played a bit of college ball. tackling is the most basic fundamental exercise you are taught...head in front of the ball carrier, eyes up, shoulder in and wrap your arms around the guy. What they are doing now is getting people hurt, careers ended, and costing people their lives.

I dont want to see flag football. With all the restrictions on tackling now how exactly can you tackle someone?
The hip-drop tackle is illegal in rugby.

I think you’ll still get your satisfaction of seeing injury carts coming on the field occasionally.

The hip-drop tackle is illegal in rugby.

I think you’ll still get your satisfaction of seeing injury carts coming on the field occasionally.
i am just glad not to have to call it at my level of play

LOL such BS. Fields was the 27th ranked passer because he couldnt throw. His 10-26 record is amongst the worst of Bears QB yet you think he's better than Mahomes. You just hate facts, or youre a Green Bay fan.
LIONS’ coach wishes to disagree with you.
Mahomes sat in his first year, so that goes ot show how much you know.
Williams will have a much better team around him than Fields did.
and Id rather have a crybaby than a moron like Fields who throws ducks with every pass attempt.
Fields was the only guy worth watching the last three years, as U know.
Yeah, I want the Bears to win a SB, dont you? Why dont you root for the Steelers instead since you love Justin so much?
The Bears only want to HOST a Super Bowl.

LIONS’ coach wishes to disagree with you.
LOL the Lions? You trust them now over the Bears GM?

Williams will have a much better team around him than Fields did.
LOL Fields had DJ Moore, he had Kmet, and he still was the 27th ranked passer. He sucked. It was clear as day.

Fields was the only guy worth watching the last three years, as U know.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Bears only want to HOST a Super Bowl.
Youve got to be kidding me! Look at all the FAs theyve brought in and theyre gonna draft CW at #1. The team is determined to win a SB and Im gonna support them. Go be a Steelers fan if you prefer Justin Fails.

Back
Top Bottom