• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police Kill 6-year-old autistic boy

I really had no intention of replying to you, but I couldn't let this go. You really have no clue about what happened, so I'll try one more time.

I feel trapped here, like I can only hold absolute positions? I believe looking at the police issue as a racial one is misguided and wrong. That's my position, it's a police issue not a race issue.

Amazing - you complain about being 'trapped' into holding absolute positions...and then you state ABSOLUTE POSITIONS! You didn't qualify your claims by saying what factors were part of it...but you've made it plain that in your opinion, race has nothing to do with it. To make the reply much shorter:

That's a bunch of hooey bro. "dog whistles" were invented by lunatic fringe leftists to call right wingers "racist", it's tired and played.

Really? Should I take your word, or the word of Reagan advisor Lee Atwater?

You start out in 1954 by saying, “n****r, n****r, n****r.” By 1968 you can’t say “n****r”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “n****r, n****r.”

And what about the example his boss set?

2. Ronald Reagan and "States' Rights"

On the campaign trail in 1980, Ronald Reagan gave an infamous speech in Mississippi, where he told assembled supporters that:

I believe in states' rights.... I believe we have distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended to be given in the Constitution to that federal establishment.

It is perhaps the archetypal dog-whistle statement. To most people, it sounds like a statement on constitutional law. Yet to the residents of Nashoba County, where the speech was held, it is a clear call-back to what many still viewed as an illegitimate federal imposition: the civil rights agenda. Desegregation was fought bitterly throughout the South, and even drove the government to institute martial law in some areas.

Even worse, the Nashoba County Fair was very close to the town of Philidelphia, Mississippi, where three civil rights activists were shot and killed in 1964.

In that context, saying "I believe in states' rights" sounds an awful lot like saying that Reagan believed that the decision as to whether or not to desegregate should be handed back to the states – and if they decided against it, they should be allowed to. As New York Times columnist Bob Herbert wrote in 2007:

Everybody watching the 1980 campaign knew what Reagan was signaling at the fair. Whites and blacks, Democrats and Republicans — they all knew. The news media knew. The race haters and the people appalled by racial hatred knew. And Reagan knew.

He was tapping out the code. It was understood that when politicians started chirping about “states’ rights” to white people in places like Neshoba County they were saying that when it comes down to you and the blacks, we’re with you.

Most conservatives will swear up and down that "states' rights" have nothing to do with race...but Reagan knew that it had everything to do with race. Not only did his own adviser Lee Atwater say so, but look at where Reagan chose to declare his candidacy - near Philadelphia, Mississippi. I've been there a few times - and it's WAAAAY out in the boonies. A candidate for president would not choose that kind of location just for the heck of it. He chose it for a reason...and there's only one possible reason - to let those who didn't like "n****rs" know he was on their side. You can deny it all you want, but Reagan tooted that racist dog-whistle for all it was worth.

Reply or not that's your choice, basically you are saying "that's racists and if you ask why you are being distasteful" I find that odd.

it's like that dmv thing where you all were calling it racist, even though it affected more whites than blacks and the places where the dmv's remained were predominately black... you see racism because you need to see it. not because it's there.

Y'know, I'll take Reagan's adviser's word over yours. I'll take Reagan's actions over yours. I'll take my wealth of experience over yours any day. You can pretend it ain't there all you want...but you can't see the racism because you need to not see it - not because it's not there.

I really had no intention of replying to you, but I couldn't let this go. You really have no clue about what happened, so I'll try one more time.

Amazing - you complain about being 'trapped' into holding absolute positions...and then you state ABSOLUTE POSITIONS! You didn't qualify your claims by saying what factors were part of it...but you've made it plain that in your opinion, race has nothing to do with it. To make the reply much shorter:

I say that the overall police abuse issue is not a race one and I base that on the fact that daily we have cases of abuse of people of all colors and creeds.

Why is that so difficult for you?

Really? Should I take your word, or the word of Reagan advisor Lee Atwater?

You start out in 1954 by saying, “n****r, n****r, n****r.” By 1968 you can’t say “n****r”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “n****r, n****r.”

so what some dude in 1968 says is gospel for the whole of those you disagree with?

btw have you read that whole thing in it's entirety? he even suggests that the issue of race is no longer the dominant issue in the south but economics were, which is what reagan focused on.

which does not mean reagan was a racist who used "dog whistles" to his fellow racists. that's dumb.

And what about the example his boss set?

2. Ronald Reagan and "States' Rights"

On the campaign trail in 1980, Ronald Reagan gave an infamous speech in Mississippi, where he told assembled supporters that:

I believe in states' rights.... I believe we have distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended to be given in the Constitution to that federal establishment.

It is perhaps the archetypal dog-whistle statement. To most people, it sounds like a statement on constitutional law. Yet to the residents of Nashoba County, where the speech was held, it is a clear call-back to what many still viewed as an illegitimate federal imposition: the civil rights agenda. Desegregation was fought bitterly throughout the South, and even drove the government to institute martial law in some areas.

Even worse, the Nashoba County Fair was very close to the town of Philidelphia, Mississippi, where three civil rights activists were shot and killed in 1964.

In that co.....
He was tapping out the code. It was understood that when politicians started chirping about “states’ rights” to white people in places like Neshoba County they were saying that when it comes down to you and the blacks, we’re with you.[/U]

Most conservatives will swear up and down that "states' rights" have nothing to do with race...but Reagan knew that it had everything to do with race. Not only did his own adviser Lee Atwater say so, but look at where Reagan chose to declare his candidacy - near Philadelphia, Mississippi. I've been there a few times - and it's WAAAAY out in the boonies. A candidate for president would not choose that kind of location just for the heck of it. He chose it for a reason...and there's only one possible reason - to let those who didn't like "n****rs" know he was on their side. You can deny it all you want, but Reagan tooted that racist dog-whistle for all it was worth.

Y'know, I'll take Reagan's adviser's word over yours. I'll take Reagan's actions over yours. I'll take my wealth of experience over yours any day. You can pretend it ain't there all you want...but you can't see the racism because you need to not see it - not because it's not there.

dude this is straight up conspiracys ****.

I am for states rights, I am against racism. I am for the sovereign and self determination of these "Several states", I also believe in equal protection under the law. look what centralization of power has given us, a militaristic domestic police force, federal jurisdiction over things like marijuana where states have made it legal, federal raids on people for the most trivial of things and a crony corporatist ruling class that screws people in favor of certain big buisnesses.

is that a "Dog whistle"?

Or is it not possible to be for "States rights" and against racism?

This issue you have is in your head, and you project it onto people like me for whatever reason. Your racist past is not the boilerplate for the rest of us. sorry.

Until police everywhere are held to the same criminal code that citizens are, this will never end. In fact, police should be held to a higher standard because they are more familiar with the criminal code and are charged with carrying it out. We rarely hear about police being charged with crimes who commit crimes, they always just get suspensions or reprimands. It's unacceptable.

The problem also lies in the psychological profiling of police academy students. A former classmate of mine went to police college and he said that the inflexible personality type they tend to go for is also dangerously close to the profile of psychopaths. It's not the first time I've heard this either.

I think the profiling system for students has to be changed so that although the personality type that follows orders and rules inflexibly is maintained, there is higher empathy. Unfortunately it seems like this is not the trend. There are more and more psychos being hired. The police force, the Church, the government... the perfect places for criminals to hide where their own will always sweep their dirt under the rug.

I say that the overall police abuse issue is not a race one and I base that on the fact that daily we have cases of abuse of people of all colors and creeds.

Why is that so difficult for you?

so what some dude in 1968 says is gospel for the whole of those you disagree with?

btw have you read that whole thing in it's entirety? he even suggests that the issue of race is no longer the dominant issue in the south but economics were, which is what reagan focused on.

which does not mean reagan was a racist who used "dog whistles" to his fellow racists. that's dumb.

dude this is straight up conspiracys ****.

I am for states rights, I am against racism. I am for the sovereign and self determination of these "Several states", I also believe in equal protection under the law. look what centralization of power has given us, a militaristic domestic police force, federal jurisdiction over things like marijuana where states have made it legal, federal raids on people for the most trivial of things and a crony corporatist ruling class that screws people in favor of certain big buisnesses.

is that a "Dog whistle"?

This issue you have is in your head, and you project it onto people like me for whatever reason. Your racist past is not the boilerplate for the rest of us. sorry.

Its probably a cocktail. Racism mixed in with non-racism. And the few who are consciously racist wont admit it. Who knows how many are subconsciously racist. Like the post I put in the philosophy section of 6 painters all being told a man is 6 different things, and how each of their pictures looked like a completely different entity. You sorta get 2 birds with 1 stone though if you find the abusers of the authority because the racists who dont let it affect their duty arent really an issue, unless they are super sneaky and letting it affect them i guess.

Guy, you've made up your mind and nobody, but nobody can change it no matter how strong the evidence may be. But there's hope for you yet, that you might learn that what you've been taught all your life is wrong...because that's my own experience. What I was taught all my life was wrong, and it really was like having blindfolds removed from my eyes. Hopefully you can someday have the same experience...but it will only come in time, if you're forced to see things in a wholly different light.

Until police everywhere are held to the same criminal code that citizens are, this will never end. In fact, police should be held to a higher standard because they are more familiar with the criminal code and are charged with carrying it out. We rarely hear about police being charged with crimes who commit crimes, they always just get suspensions or reprimands. It's unacceptable.

The problem also lies in the psychological profiling of police academy students. A former classmate of mine went to police college and he said that the inflexible personality type they tend to go for is also dangerously close to the profile of psychopaths. It's not the first time I've heard this either.

I think the profiling system for students has to be changed so that although the personality type that follows orders and rules inflexibly is maintained, there is higher empathy. Unfortunately it seems like this is not the trend. There are more and more psychos being hired. The police force, the Church, the government... the perfect places for criminals to hide where their own will always sweep their dirt under the rug.

I'd say he's dead on. They also look for bullies and people who have no issues with taking steroids. One thing they actively avoid are highly intelligent people cause they'll get bored or something.

Police should NOT be held to the same criminal code. Absolutely NOT. The job REQUIRES them to be involved in physical altercations on a DAILY basis. On top of that it requires them to deal with...by the nature of the job...people who DO NOT respect law/order/civility/etc. Basically...they WILL be dealing with people who WILL LIE to get out of trouble. Even if that means lying about use of force. Especially in the days of multi million dollar lawsuits.

So the SAME system? No. A new system that allows prosecution? That recognizes the basic realities of law enforcements? YES. Their word should be held to a higher standard than a civilian, and thus punishment for lying would be much higher (lying...not recalling poor details...or specific instruction to leave out anything other than the most clear details).

Something LEOs actually COULD use is a place to report crooked cops. A panel or review place. Imagine if officers could report someone anonymously. I wonder how that would go? The only problem I see there is no accountability and during a local election season you could see a lot of abuse of that system.

I'd say he's dead on. They also look for bullies and people who have no issues with taking steroids. One thing they actively avoid are highly intelligent people cause they'll get bored or something.

Not true. They aren't looking for bullies. They look for alphas. Big difference. It isn't s job for betas.

Guy, you've made up your mind and nobody, but nobody can change it no matter how strong the evidence may be. But there's hope for you yet, that you might learn that what you've been taught all your life is wrong...because that's my own experience. What I was taught all my life was wrong, and it really was like having blindfolds removed from my eyes. Hopefully you can someday have the same experience...but it will only come in time, if you're forced to see things in a wholly different light.

kid, see you grew up a racist, I grew up and went to a school that was 80% black.

You think you see racism everywhere and that your an expert on it due to your upbringing.

I have seen actual racism, I've seen it both ways. you cheapen the very real issue of abhorrent racism by looking for racism where you have no real evidence it exists.

You have this guilt of being a former racist and you seem to need to have others be racist to make your own abhorrent past less unique to assuage your own personal guilt and to lessen the damage you think you may have caused by your former ways.

But you are right, I will never see through the eyes of a reformed racist who came from a family of racists. But I can understand your need to find more racists to make your past evils more tolerable.

Godspeed bro, congrats on understanding racism is wrong.

kid, see you grew up a racist, I grew up and went to a school that was 80% black.

You think you see racism everywhere and that your an expert on it due to your upbringing.

I have seen actual racism, I've seen it both ways. you cheapen the very real issue of abhorrent racism by looking for racism where you have no real evidence it exists.

You have this guilt of being a former racist and you seem to need to have others be racist to make your own abhorrent past less unique to assuage your own personal guilt and to lessen the damage you think you may have caused by your former ways.

But you are right, I will never see through the eyes of a reformed racist who came from a family of racists. But I can understand your need to find more racists to make your past evils more tolerable.

Godspeed bro, congrats on understanding racism is wrong.

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

-Raylan Givens

Police should NOT be held to the same criminal code.

Cops MUST be held to the same criminal code. Necessarily. Everyone is equal, no one is special. From the President down to the homeless. Everyone is the same, justice is blind.

One could argue that there is an even larger imperative to police the police, since they wield the power of government over the People. Government has always been the biggest threat to freedom and liberty, and it is necessary to control it.

Not true. They aren't looking for bullies. They look for alphas. Big difference. It isn't s job for betas.

Necessarily there can be only one alpha. They are looking for subservient betas and gammas

These cops will be held responsible.

151109-stafford-greenhouse-shooting-mn-1730_b6cc5e2ad32b9196cf3a06e5e47d3379.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

The victims in this case:

jeremymardis3-e1446666645566.jpg

Last edited:
How much money will this father extract from the community. What ever it is it won't be enough. However until we start putting cops to death nothing will change.

We really need an enhanced, fasttracked punishment system for those of the cops who are do this sort of evil. Maybe more strict federal prosecution which can lead to death penalty broadcasted on youtube.

It would make sense for a judge to consider the fact that the defendant was charged with upholding the law at sentencing, but that's about as far as that should go.

If the problem is the violation of an individual's rights by a wrongdoer, the answer in a civilized country is not a violation of the wrongdoer's rights. The greatest saint and most evil sinner are entitled to exactly the same treatment under the law. Period.

Not really, they train you to act like an alpha but that does not make one an "alpha".

I am talking about the personality type. Just like the military, it attracts "bullies" or "alpha males." Type A personalities. That doesn't mean ALL of them are. But they are mostly that personality type. And you know how society is...they can't handle a tough male figure like they used too.

I think the job requires someone to be an ass. That isn't really an insult in my book. You have to be stubborn. You have to call people on their crap. But to call cops "bullies?" All of them? Even most or half? Nah. I'm more inclined to believe that people can't handle being called on their crap and are just trying to play a victim card.

Necessarily there can be only one alpha. They are looking for subservient betas and gammas

Alpha in a practical sense...sure. But the position attracts the personality type.

How much money will this father extract from the community. What ever it is it won't be enough. However until we start putting cops to death nothing will change.

I assume you mean to death with a fair trial?

It would make sense for a judge to consider the fact that the defendant was charged with upholding the law at sentencing, but that's about as far as that should go.

If the problem is the violation of an individual's rights by a wrongdoer, the answer in a civilized country is not a violation of the wrongdoer's rights. The greatest saint and most evil sinner are entitled to exactly the same treatment under the law. Period.

But its arguable that a cop doing rogue deeds is more harmful than an average civilian doing the same deed, because cops have inherent extra privileges and can cause much more mayhem before red handed. So they also need extra punishments.

But its arguable that a cop doing rogue deeds is more harmful than an average civilian doing the same deed, because cops have inherent extra privileges and can cause much more mayhem before red handed. So they also need extra punishments.

Well, again, I think a judge can certainly tack on extra years when sentencing.

I am generally opposed to the death penalty, so I'm not sure I want anyone receiving it. So when it comes to murder, well, life is life regardless of who did it.

BUT, I would cede this point: If there are jurisdictions where murdering a police officer means mandatory death, those jursidictions should impose mandatory death when a police officer murders a citizen. (I use "murder" rather than "kill" to rule out manslaughter).

I was responding to your "fast track" justice notion though. Same track for everyone. Same rights for everyone. Same treatment. That's the only way to do it in a civilized country, no matter how evil the defendant may be.

Well, again, I think a judge can certainly tack on extra years when sentencing.

I am generally opposed to the death penalty, so I'm not sure I want anyone receiving it. So when it comes to murder, well, life is life regardless of who did it.

BUT, I would cede this point: If there are jurisdictions where murdering a police officer means mandatory death, those jursidictions should impose mandatory death when a police officer murders a citizen. (I use "murder" rather than "kill" to rule out manslaughter).

I was responding to your "fast track" justice notion though. Same track for everyone. Same rights for everyone. Same treatment. That's the only way to do it in a civilized country, no matter how evil the defendant may be.

I all honesty I agree with you on the death penalty there's is no way a reasonable person can support it. But if general population is OK for child molesters its good enough for cops that murder or kill innocent civilians.

Well sure, just like all Americans get.

Oh. So Americans don't get fair trials then? Ok, how do you propose we fix the system? Assume everyone is innocent even if they are found guilty?

Back
Top Bottom