• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police Kill 6-year-old autistic boy

Scott Peterson wasn't a cop.

Maybe he was confusing Scott Peterson with Drew Peterson? (however, you cannot get the death penalty in Illinois).

Police kill 6-year-old autistic Jeremy Mardis in Louisiana

We really need an enhanced, fasttracked punishment system for those of the cops who are do this sort of evil. Maybe more strict federal prosecution which can lead to death penalty broadcasted on youtube.

I see, so your solution is to become what the cops are.

Mob justice, we see the video so kill the mother****ers. Two wrongs DO make a right.

I hate to be the one to put this to you, but that's not the way justice works. People, all people, regardless of race, religion or profession, gets to have a trial.

Sorry to disappoint you

that's all in your head. this is a police issue, making it a race issue helps those we are fighting to reform.

Is it? Is it really 'just' a police issue? Don't get me wrong - the two who shot the kid do seem to be quite guilty...but there is a lot of racism in law enforcement.

But I do understand your point - and if ignoring the quite-extant race issue is what it takes to get police to accept ideas like those you proposed, I'd agree to it.

Maybe he was confusing Scott Peterson with Drew Peterson? (however, you cannot get the death penalty in Illinois).

Yup my bad. I occasionally get things wrong. Not very often mind you...

Is it? Is it really 'just' a police issue? Don't get me wrong - the two who shot the kid do seem to be quite guilty...but there is a lot of racism in law enforcement.

But I do understand your point - and if ignoring the quite-extant race issue is what it takes to get police to accept ideas like those you proposed, I'd agree to it.

*sigh*

police have shown time and time again from story after daily story that race is not a factor in the mindest of the modern warrior cop. you can see by the other thread where they beat and tased a white college student that no one is immune from this form of police abuse.

what you claimed, without evidence, or statistics, hurts, doesn't help the cause of police reform.

I mean really, usually when white kids are killed by police the media doesn't really care, it's the droning on of "evil whites hurting blacks" that is thier agenda, true or not, it misses the entire point of police reform.

which is to reform the police into not a military force.

I see, so your solution is to become what the cops are.

Mob justice, we see the video so kill the mother****ers. Two wrongs DO make a right.

I hate to be the one to put this to you, but that's not the way justice works. People, all people, regardless of race, religion or profession, gets to have a trial.

Sorry to disappoint you

Only if criminal charges are filed. That, so far, has been quite rare in on duty police shootings. Even when convicted the sentence is far lower than that for non-police perps.

EXCLUSIVE: New Data Show Police Rarely Arrested For Killings On The Job

10 Cops Who Were Convicted For Killing In The Line Of Duty - Listverse

Yeah!! **** the legal system!! Just put these bastards to death without a trial! I say that if a Facebook post gets enough likes that should be enough for a public lynching!

:roll:

The cops are under arrest and charged with murder. That's the way it should work. This "mob justice" movement really, really needs to go away.

Interestingly euthanasia of such children was quite legal in Germany once, much as abortion is here today.

*sigh*

police have shown time and time again from story after daily story that race is not a factor in the mindest of the modern warrior cop. you can see by the other thread where they beat and tased a white college student that no one is immune from this form of police abuse.

what you claimed, without evidence, or statistics, hurts, doesn't help the cause of police reform.

I mean really, usually when white kids are killed by police the media doesn't really care, it's the droning on of "evil whites hurting blacks" that is thier agenda, true or not, it misses the entire point of police reform.

Really? You stand by that bolded claim? Racism is a very human trait - it's a form of prejudice, the fear of the different...and it's present everywhere. This doesn't mean that it's okay or that it shouldn't be fought, but it is everywhere. Your claim, on the other hand, would require that once they put on that uniform, police are somehow no longer subject to human foibles of prejudice in general and racism in particular.

What's more, when there is an organization of like-minded people, they tend to develop a group mindset - groupthink. Part of my military career was in military law enforcement, and I've seen this in action. That, and having been raised in a place (MS Delta) where almost all whites were at least to some degree racist (and all my family including myself certainly were), you cannot tell me that when a group of whites are in law enforcement Down South, that there is not racial prejudice by some therein, at least to some degree. To claim otherwise evinces a vast ignorance of the human animal.

And you say I made the claim without evidence, so here's evidence. Yeah, since it's from HuffPost, you'll probably want to dismiss it right away because of who said it...but instead, look at what is said - every bit of it can be verified from the sources listed.

Now, I ALREADY said that I would ignore the quite-extant race issue if that's what it took to get the police to accept the reforms you proposed. I ALREADY met you halfway. Please do me the courtesy of meeting me halfway by not pretending that there's no racism among the human beings working in law enforcement.

Interestingly euthanasia of such children was quite legal in Germany once, much as abortion is here today.

Slight risk of thread drift but fetuses are not children.

Slight risk of thread drift but fetuses are not children.

No. They are humans, much like the chalenged people were. That was never disputed by the supporters of euthanasia, which was at least more honest.

Really? You stand by that bolded claim? Racism is a very human trait - it's a form of prejudice, the fear of the different...and it's present everywhere. This doesn't mean that it's okay or that it shouldn't be fought, but it is everywhere. Your claim, on the other hand, would require that once they put on that uniform, police are somehow no longer subject to human foibles of prejudice in general and racism in particular.

What's more, when there is an organization of like-minded people, they tend to develop a group mindset - groupthink. Part of my military career was in military law enforcement, and I've seen this in action. That, and having been raised in a place (MS Delta) where almost all whites were at least to some degree racist (and all my family including myself certainly were), you cannot tell me that when a group of whites are in law enforcement Down South, that there is not racial prejudice by some therein, at least to some degree. To claim otherwise evinces a vast ignorance of the human animal.

And you say I made the claim without evidence, so here's evidence. Yeah, since it's from HuffPost, you'll probably want to dismiss it right away because of who said it...but instead, look at what is said - every bit of it can be verified from the sources listed.

Now, I ALREADY said that I would ignore the quite-extant race issue if that's what it took to get the police to accept the reforms you proposed. I ALREADY met you halfway. Please do me the courtesy of meeting me halfway by not pretending that there's no racism among the human beings working in law enforcement.

Your world view as a former racist is just that, your world view.

If you watch the very first episode of cops, there is a black officer lamenting on how if he sees a group of young black youth on a street corner late at night they are probably up to no good.

is that racist?

if a white cop were to say the same thing

would that be racist?

there are several mitigating factors in why there is more contact with police among African american males disproportionately compared to other races.

here is a pretty good article discussing it.

FactCheck: do black Americans commit more crime?

So, if group A for whatever reason commits more crimes, is it evidence that police arrest more from group a of targeting that group?

why I say this is a police issue and not a race issue, is because, white police, black police, other police have all been instigators of rephrensible actions on civilians who are also white, black, and other.

Your world view as a former racist is just that, your world view.

If you watch the very first episode of cops, there is a black officer lamenting on how if he sees a group of young black youth on a street corner late at night they are probably up to no good.

is that racist?

if a white cop were to say the same thing

would that be racist?

there are several mitigating factors in why there is more contact with police among African american males disproportionately compared to other races.

here is a pretty good article discussing it.

FactCheck: do black Americans commit more crime?

So, if group A for whatever reason commits more crimes, is it evidence that police arrest more from group a of targeting that group?

why I say this is a police issue and not a race issue, is because, white police, black police, other police have all been instigators of rephrensible actions on civilians who are also white, black, and other.

You really don't get it, do you? Did you even read the links I gave you? Is there any excuse whatsoever blacks to regularly be sent to prison for longer than whites when the crimes and the criminal records were the same? What fantasy world did you grow up in?

And do you even know why more blacks are convicted of crimes? Do you?

You really don't get it, do you? Did you even read the links I gave you? Is there any excuse whatsoever blacks to regularly be sent to prison for longer than whites when the crimes and the criminal records were the same? What fantasy world did you grow up in?

That's wrong, however one can look at numerous reasons why that is, sure racism is one. location another.

Wide Racial Divide in Sentencing - WSJ

And do you even know why more blacks are convicted of crimes? Do you?

Obviously not. lol you tell me.

Only if criminal charges are filed. That, so far, has been quite rare in on duty police shootings. Even when convicted the sentence is far lower than that for non-police perps.

EXCLUSIVE: New Data Show Police Rarely Arrested For Killings On The Job

10 Cops Who Were Convicted For Killing In The Line Of Duty - Listverse

The post was a snide re-action to the irony of people who see cops only as bikers with badges, but demand street justice of cops who break the rules.

I agree, most cases are handled administratively, as often it was one act among hundreds of great deeds; even the courts here recognize that people confront violence second most in society [mental health workers are highest] and take such things into account.

I call these hard because I know one bad case taints hundreds of fine officers, many of them colleagues of mine. The truth is these events are becoming more rare, not less because everyone has a camera. With that taken into account, you can only come away assured that the vast majority of police officers are doing their job well.

The post was a snide re-action to the irony of people who see cops only as bikers with badges, but demand street justice of cops who break the rules.

I agree, most cases are handled administratively, as often it was one act among hundreds of great deeds; even the courts here recognize that people confront violence second most in society [mental health workers are highest] and take such things into account.

I call these hard because I know one bad case taints hundreds of fine officers, many of them colleagues of mine. The truth is these events are becoming more rare, not less because everyone has a camera. With that taken into account, you can only come away assured that the vast majority of police officers are doing their job well.

This I can agree with, I think with the advent of the camera, we are seeing the initial ripping back the carpet to watch the cockroaches scatter. Ultimately this will lead to more police accountability and less instances of these things happening.

reduce the tactical training or increase the de-escalation training to match it.

Infuse police with a sense of community protector vs a military operator mentality and we can fix this pretty quick.

also, the blue wall needs to come down. if a good cop sees a bad cop do something bad and says nothing, he's a bad cop. that should change as well.

This I can agree with, I think with the advent of the camera, we are seeing the initial ripping back the carpet to watch the cockroaches scatter. Ultimately this will lead to more police accountability and less instances of these things happening.

reduce the tactical training or increase the de-escalation training to match it.

Infuse police with a sense of community protector vs a military operator mentality and we can fix this pretty quick.

also, the blue wall needs to come down. if a good cop sees a bad cop do something bad and says nothing, he's a bad cop. that should change as well.

We agree on a lot, but disagree that so much change is needed this instant. The fact we are seeing this means there is change, great change. Google Robert Dziekanski and see where this kind of exposure ripped the blue wall to shreds.

So it is happening, there may be pockets where the rules are not being followed, but we have yet to establish we need new rules or news ways of enforcing them.

We agree on a lot, but disagree that so much change is needed this instant. The fact we are seeing this means there is change, great change. Google Robert Dziekanski and see where this kind of exposure ripped the blue wall to shreds.

So it is happening, there may be pockets where the rules are not being followed, but we have yet to establish we need new rules or news ways of enforcing them.

I see change coming, I even see the reluctance by those who are cops diminish. what was once privately shared regarding this among good cops is becoming more vocal. this is good.

but there is no need for a cop to be trained as if he's fighting a war.

And it's a huge news story, ain't it?

What I want to know is why it is that when a white kid gets killed by (nonwhite) cops, it's Big News...but when white cops kill black kids, well, somehow it's always justified....

I dunno. To be honest i thought the guy in this incident was white i didnt even know he was black.

That's wrong, however one can look at numerous reasons why that is, sure racism is one. location another.

Wide Racial Divide in Sentencing - WSJ

Obviously not. lol you tell me.

Wait, weren't you saying that racism didn't have anything to do with it? Now you're agreeing to it, if only in part.

And when it comes to 'why', perhaps you should do some research as to what life was like during Jim Crow, and during the Civil Rights struggle. Yeah, yeah, I know, that was SO long ago...but what you're not getting is that the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, and the people who are running the different states of the nation today are the kids of the ones who were fighting desegregation tooth-and-nail back then.

Perhaps you should research things like the "White Citizens Council", which today is named the "Conservative Citizens Council". See what their aims were...and who was in charge of them - one of whom was twice U.S. president pro-tem (and a neighbor and family acquaintance).

Better yet, go to this link about this book called "The Senator and the Sharecropper". Click on the book and you'll be able to read quite a few pages therein. It's a true story, and takes place about ten miles from where I grew up - and it concerns the same senator I mentioned above. The author relates his experiences in Sunflower, MS in the 1990's, which ain't so long ago. I hope you see the part about the local mayor...because if the local mayor's that bad, one can guess at just how bad the police are.

You said that since I was a racist at one time, that it colored my worldview...and you are to some extent right. But what you're not getting is that because I was racist at one time, I hear those racist "dog-whistles" better than most. It's like how sensitive someone who quit smoking can be to the scent of cigarettes - he may be overly sensitive, and he may well react with more agitation than most...but that doesn't mean that he's not smelling someone else smoking cigarettes.

So it is with me - I may be overly sensitive to actions and words that I feel are influenced by racism, but that doesn't mean that the racism isn't there - it may also well mean that the racism IS there, and it's just easier for me to see and hear it than most.

Anyway, if you want to reply, go ahead...but it is very distasteful to me to have to "prove" racism to someone, when the evidence of racism is so incredibly plain. So after this, I'm not going to continue this discussion. You can have the last word - I won't reply.

*sigh*

OUTSTANDING comment.

Wait, weren't you saying that racism didn't have anything to do with it? Now you're agreeing to it, if only in part.

I feel trapped here, like I can only hold absolute positions? I believe looking at the police issue as a racial one is misguided and wrong. That's my position, it's a police issue not a race issue.

I believe I said this already.

And when it comes to 'why', perhaps you should do some research as to what life was like during Jim Crow, and during the Civil Rights struggle. Yeah, yeah, I know, that was SO long ago...but what you're not getting is that the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, and the people who are running the different states of the nation today are the kids of the ones who were fighting desegregation tooth-and-nail back then.

Sins of the fater? really is this an argument?

Perhaps you should research things like the "White Citizens Council", which today is named the "Conservative Citizens Council". See what their aims were...and who was in charge of them - one of whom was twice U.S. president pro-tem (and a neighbor and family acquaintance).

Ghost stories man, one thing you have to do, is when media is looking for racist bogey man is question why you can't find membership numbers or even estimates.

I'm not sure how this pertains to anything.

Better yet, go to this link about this book called "The Senator and the Sharecropper". Click on the book and you'll be able to read quite a few pages therein. It's a true story, and takes place about ten miles from where I grew up - and it concerns the same senator I mentioned above. The author relates his experiences in Sunflower, MS in the 1990's, which ain't so long ago. I hope you see the part about the local mayor...because if the local mayor's that bad, one can guess at just how bad the police are.

are you trying to tell me there are racist out there? what next sharks in the ocean? bears in the woods?

what's the point here?

You said that since I was a racist at one time, that it colored my worldview...and you are to some extent right. But what you're not getting is that because I was racist at one time, I hear those racist "dog-whistles" better than most. It's like how sensitive someone who quit smoking can be to the scent of cigarettes - he may be overly sensitive, and he may well react with more agitation than most...but that doesn't mean that he's not smelling someone else smoking cigarettes.

That's a bunch of hooey bro. "dog whistles" were invented by lunatic fringe leftists to call right wingers "racist", it's tired and played.

So it is with me - I may be overly sensitive to actions and words that I feel are influenced by racism, but that doesn't mean that the racism isn't there - it may also well mean that the racism IS there, and it's just easier for me to see and hear it than most.

Anyway, if you want to reply, go ahead...but it is very distasteful to me to have to "prove" racism to someone, when the evidence of racism is so incredibly plain. So after this, I'm not going to continue this discussion. You can have the last word - I won't reply.

Reply or not that's your choice, basically you are saying "that's racists and if you ask why you are being distasteful" I find that odd.

it's like that dmv thing where you all were calling it racist, even though it affected more whites than blacks and the places where the dmv's remained were predominately black... you see racism because you need to see it. not because it's there.

This is a little 20-20 hindsight but we all(society) should have seen this coming years ago when the police forces began to militarize. When cops started to look like soldiers, act like soldiers and were starting to be trained like soldiers, then there was little doubt that these kind of abuses would eventually happen.

Many(NOT ALL) cops look at citizens as the enemy, not as someone they should protect, but as someone they are at war with. There's collateral damage in war all the time, some cops look at us as collateral damage.

Of course society looking at every single cop as a 'hero' and always defending them, even the bad ones doesn't help either.

The vast majority of armed robbers don't shoot anyone but that is no reason to go easier on those that do. ;)

Yeah!! **** the legal system!! Just put these bastards to death without a trial! I say that if a Facebook post gets enough likes that should be enough for a public lynching!

:roll:

The cops are under arrest and charged with murder. That's the way it should work. This "mob justice" movement really, really needs to go away.

A...****ing men

Back
Top Bottom