• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberals are dangerous

Don't we have Republicans in Alabama that are literally ignoring court rulings on Same Sex Marriage because they think marriage should be one man, one woman?

Fortunately we know that Illiberals are only dangerous in possession of more than two neurones.

You know who isn't currently arguing for violating Supreme Court rulings? Libertarians!

This is totally unrelated but would an ideal libertarian ran government even would want/need a Supreme Court?

This is totally unrelated but would an ideal libertarian ran government even would want/need a Supreme Court?

Good question! I believe any government with a constitution requires a SC of some sort, and it's difficult for me to imagine an "ideal" government without a constitution.

To summarize: Probably.

I'm not a pure libertarian by any stretch of the word. Not even sure what a "pure" libertarian would really be actually. But since I tend to think of myself of having strong leans in that direction, I'll give you my opinion on the matter. Our current supreme court has arguably accumulated far more power than originally intended, but I think the basic idea of a supreme court was a good one. Perhaps, even, a necessary one. We need an institution to keep the legislature and the executive branch in check.

I'm not a pure libertarian by any stretch of the word. Not even sure what a "pure" libertarian would really be actually. But since I tend to think of myself of having strong leans in that direction, I'll give you my opinion on the matter. Our current supreme court has arguably accumulated far more power than originally intended, but I think the basic idea of a supreme court was a good one. Perhaps, even, a necessary one. We need an institution to keep the legislature and the executive branch in check.

The idea the government will keep the government in check is foolish and not one the founders thought would work.

I'm not a pure libertarian by any stretch of the word. Not even sure what a "pure" libertarian would really be actually.

If you ever figure it out, please tell me. Close as I can figure it, I'm some sort of centrist who wants an overall downsizing of most government agencies. I just like the way Libertarian sounds more than I like centrist.

You know who isn't currently arguing for violating Supreme Court rulings? Libertarians!

You are just trying to temp me into getting in trouble aren't you?

The idea the government will keep the government in check is foolish and not one the founders thought would work.

That's why the government requires a very noticeable thorn in it's side at all times. Ideally, the press & various watchdog groups would serve that purpose, but our polarized two-party system makes that very difficult to pull off.

That's why the government requires a very noticeable thorn in it's side at all times. Ideally, the press & various watchdog groups would serve that purpose, but our polarized two-party system makes that very difficult to pull off.

Right now, the press is not diversified enough, and has too few 'corporate owners' to be a thorn in government side.

If you ever figure it out, please tell me. Close as I can figure it, I'm some sort of centrist who wants an overall downsizing of most government agencies. I just like the way Libertarian sounds more than I like centrist.

I'm fairly left-wing in many of my views, but I have a very strong liberty-minded streak when it comes to civil liberties and social issues. I guess you could say I'm a "civil libertarian" rather than just a plain jane mainstream libertarian. I'm not much for alot of that laissez faire capitalist stuff. I've also heard it called left-libertarianism.

Civil libertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The primary concern of the civil libertarian is the relationship of the government to the individual. The civil libertarian seeks, in theory, to restrict this relationship to an absolute minimum in which the state can function and provide basic services and securities without excessively interfering in the lives of its citizens. One key cause of civil libertarianism is upholding free speech. Specifically, civil libertarians oppose bans on hate speech and obscenity. Although they may or may not personally condone behaviors associated with these issues, civil libertarians hold that the advantages of unfettered public discourse outweigh all disadvantages.

In the light of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, civil libertarians are also concerned over the state of personal liberties and freedoms in the face of increased national security.

Other civil libertarian positions include support for at least partial legalization of illicit substances (marijuana, etc.), privacy, the right to bear arms, a strong demarcation between religion and politics, and, more recently, support for same-sex marriage. The most prominent civil libertarian organization in the United States today is the American Civil Liberties Union.

In the past 20 years, with the advent of personal computers, the Internet, email, cell phones, and other information technology advances, a subset of civil libertarianism has arisen that focuses on protecting individuals’ digital rights and privacy. The organization most closely affiliated with this sort of civil libertarianism is the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Last edited:

Government is like the crappy connection you sometimes get on servers that requires you to log off and on again.

First of, I'm sure Rasmussen didn't come any where close to surveying all Democrats and secondly, given the right hypothetical set of facts, probably something to do with national security and I'd bet you'd discover a good number of Repuplicans that would say the same (so long as the prez is Republican, of course).

If there's anything I've learned here it's that pretty much nothing is one sided.

Government is like the crappy connection you sometimes get on servers that requires you to log off and on again.

have-you-tried-turning-it-on-and-off-again.jpg

I've heard the argument made that libertarianism is radical centrism. More socially liberal than the liberals and more fiscally conservative than the conservatives. Not sure if that describes you or not.

Libertarianism as Radical Centrism | Cato Unbound

I'm fairly left-wing in many of my views, but I have a very strong liberty-minded streak when it comes to civil liberties and social issues. I guess you could say I'm a "civil libertarian" rather than just a plain jane mainstream libertarian. I'm not much for alot of that laissez faire capitalist stuff.

Any idea what to call a Libertarian/Centrist hybrid?

Edit: Oh, thanks! That was quick!:lol:

Any idea what to call a Libertarian/Centrist hybrid?

Libertarianism, the way it's most commonly defined (socially liberal and fiscally conservative), is technically a centrist ideology itself.

Libertarianism, the way it's most commonly defined (socially liberal and fiscally conservative), is technically a centrist ideology itself.

Thing is, I kinda feel like a bit of a moderate. Or, at the very least, too apathetic to be radical. That's why I think of myself as closer to center than the average Libertarian.

...Not sure I'm a good judge of what an average Libertarian is, though, given that my experience is limited to this political forum.:lol:

Andrew Jackson did it and is considered by many one of the greatest Presidents and is featured on USA currency - and he defied the Supreme Court, not just a lower federal court.

Then again there are those such as me who see him as treasonous and genocidal scum who should be historically recognized as such. We all have our opinions.

Last edited:
Andrew Jackson did it and is considered by many one of the greatest Presidents and is featured on USA currency - and he defied the Supreme Court, not just a lower federal court.

...You're kidding, right? All I ever hear about him is about the borderline-genocidal treatment the Indians suffered at his hands, against the SC's decision. I can't remember a single time someone has said he was a great President.

Edit: point rescinded in light of recent edits

Last edited:
Thing is, I kinda feel like a bit of a moderate. Or, at the very least, too apathetic to be radical. That's why I think of myself as closer to center than the average Libertarian.

Yeah, I get that. To be honest, that's why I no longer have my lean set to "Libertarian - Left." Because the left-libertarian lean, if you google it, goes much further down the rabbit hole than simple "liberaltarianism." I liked alot of what I saw, and such a society would be ideal for me, but I'm far too pragmatic to subscribe to such ideas. We're waaaaay too far from anything even remotely resembling that. Not gonna happen in my lifetime, or the next. Or even the one after that probably.

I prefer to describe myself as an Independent with strong libertarian leans. This way I can utilize the libertarian position when necessary, without being psychologically bound to an ideological knee-jerk reaction to every issue. Like I found myself doing at times.

I'm fairly left-wing in many of my views, but I have a very strong liberty-minded streak when it comes to civil liberties and social issues. I guess you could say I'm a "civil libertarian" rather than just a plain jane mainstream libertarian. I'm not much for alot of that laissez faire capitalist stuff. I've also heard it called left-libertarianism.

give it time, we'll convince you that capitalism rocks harder than any other system devised by man....then you can lose the "left" moniker :cool:

Back
Top Bottom