• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many times have you been fired?

How many times have you been fired?

Votes: 45 55.6%

Votes: 15 18.5%

Votes: 13 16.0%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
I've worked for Uncle Sam for the last seventeen years, and he's held onto me so far.

Before that, I got fired a few times, at least five. I can't think of a single time it could be seen as justified.

I've been fired for:
  • doing my work too fast and then having nothing to do
  • making too much money during a corporate takeover in which there was a desire to "rationalize" the payroll — I worked under the table for several months and ended up getting a big UI check when I won a court case
  • reporting labor law violations
  • being disliked by the boss's sister
The last time I got fired was on my second day on the job. I was hired as the news editor for a small newspaper here in RI. One of my duties was to copyedit the stories before they went to press. I (correctly) edited the lead sentence of an article written by the general manager. He fired me the next day when I walked in. A couple of months later, he was arrested for threatening an employee in his office with a loaded shotgun.

I've been there. I was once working a temporary contract job but they ended my contract before anyone else because I finished my work too fast. Now I know. Take your time. ;)

Never.

But they probably should have fired me when I worked in the college cafeteria, because I insisted on giving people 1/3-1/2 inches of meat per sandwich rather than the insulting two slices they instructed me to give.......

(I mean really. If people want a salad, they'll order a salad. A sandwich should have a pile of meat in it)

Trust me. If they really wanted you, obama wasn't stopping them.

No, Corporate HQ was stopping them, because they put a freeze on hiring, because the general consensus was that Obama's re-election was bad for the economy, and they wanted to play things safe.

This isn't a hard concept.

Remember that this is a corporation that sets the thermostats in the stores from Bentonville. The company that will tell a dept. mgr. that in spite of the fact that their dept. demands a crew of 8 people, they have to make do with only 5 (and no OT allowed). Never assume that WM corporate does what's best, smart or makes sense...

Remember that this is a corporation that sets the thermostats in the stores from Bentonville. The company that will tell a dept. mgr. that in spite of the fact that their dept. demands a crew of 8 people, they have to make do with only 5 (and no OT allowed). Never assume that WM corporate does what's best, smart or makes sense...

WalMart comes up frequently in the legal employment seminars I attend, some of the things they have done are literally jaw dropping.

It's happened before, but not out of misconduct. Can't control when a grant runs dry.

My first job at a grocery store, My manager wanted to terminate me after I had completed probation. I called the union, and his plans were abruptly changed.

So I didn't get the ax, but came close.

No, Corporate HQ was stopping them, because they put a freeze on hiring, because the general consensus was that Obama's re-election was bad for the economy, and they wanted to play things safe.

This isn't a hard concept.

You were given a BS answer, a friend of mine got hired on at Walmart that year right after re-elect time. he grew up in WA, but his parents moved to California before we graduated high school. he got his parents to pay to send up here to "visit" for a couple of weeks. he spent days walking 4 to 8 miles applying at places, got offered a job at Wal-Mart and called to tell his parents he wasn't coming back down to Calif.

This had to have been about that time or shortly before. he was hired on as a regular worker, Obama not withstanding.

How many times have you mean fired, "let go", laid off for any reason?

I have never been fired, laid off etc.
I have never left a job before finding something better.
I have never collected unemployment.

Technically, that's theft.

It is theft, but if they're going to prosecute him they need concrete evidence he stole the money with malicious intent as opposed to just being too stupid to make change. it's easier just to fire someone then go through with criminal prosecution.

the store i worked at we had an employee on camera pocketing money out of the register, that's an open and shut case, if they can't prove he purposefully overchanged customers it's not worth it to even go through with prosecution.

You were given a BS answer, a friend of mine got hired on at Walmart that year right after re-elect time. he grew up in WA, but his parents moved to California before we graduated high school. he got his parents to pay to send up here to "visit" for a couple of weeks. he spent days walking 4 to 8 miles applying at places, got offered a job at Wal-Mart and called to tell his parents he wasn't coming back down to Calif.

This had to have been about that time or shortly before. he was hired on as a regular worker, Obama not withstanding.

First off, technically I was hired "right after election time." I got the job in late November, and kept it straight through till the start of January, when the "temp" period expired. It wasn't until I applied to get rehired full-time afterwards in early January 2013, and noticed that the Assistant Manager who had been so vocally adamant about rehiring me was ducking my calls, that I realized something was up.

Secondly, again, my father actually works at Walmart. He's a Co-Manager, just a step below Store Manager (was a Store Manager himself at Target prior to 2008), and, so, knowledgeable of and regularly active in store policy and hiring. In point of fact, it was only because he put in a good word for me with the manager of a different store that I ever got the temp job to begin with. "Sporting Goods" is fairly cushy as far as such things go.

He flat out told me that the reason I wasn't getting called back was because there was a hiring freeze after the holidays ended, which lasted for a couple of months (come to think of it, my Supervisor had been warning of some major hourly cuts for the full-time employees right before my temp term ended as well). Whether that was company wide, or simply regional, I don't know. I also don't how long, precisely, it lasted. I do know, however, that it happened, and by the time it ended, I was basically **** out of luck where getting my old job back was concerned. I know that with some degree of confidence.

People - quite frankly - just need to take my word on it, instead of trying to cook up wild, speculative, reasons to try and passive aggressively call me a liar and a dirtbag. :roll:

Last edited:
First off, technically I was hired "right after election time." I got the job in late November, and kept it straight through till the start of January, when the "temp" period expired. It wasn't until I applied to get rehired full-time afterwards in early 2013, and noticed that the Assistant Manager who had been so adamant about rehiring me was ducking my calls, that I realized something was up.

Secondly, again, my father actually works at Walmart. He's a Co-Manager, just a step below Store Manager, and, so, regularly active in store policy and hiring. In point of fact, it was only because he put in a good word for me with the manager of a different store that I ever got the temp job to begin with. "Sporting Goods" is fairly cushy as far as such things go.

He flat out told me that the reason I wasn't getting called back, was because there was a hiring freeze after the holidays ended, which lasted for a couple of months (come to think of it, my supervisor had been warning of some major hourly cuts for the full-time employees right before my temp term ended as well). Whether that was company wide, or simply regional, I don't know. I also don't how long, precisely, it lasted. I do know, however, that it happened. I know that with confidence.

People frankly just need to take my word on it, instead of trying to cook up wild, speculative, reasons to try and call me a dirtbag. :roll:

I never called you a dirtbag, I simply said the reason was bogus, I left open the possibility you were the victim of being sold a bill of goods.

I never called you a dirtbag, I simply said the reason was bogus, I left open the possibility you were the victim of being sold a bill of goods.

I'll take the word of my 30 year retail veteran father who actually works with the company in question, over "random dude on the internet, speculating secondhand about something that happened three years ago, in which he was not personally involved," thank you.

I'll take the word of my 30 year veteran of retail father who actually works with the company in question, over "random dude on the internet, speculating secondhand about something that happened three years ago, in which he was not involved," thank you.

I swear a ton of these internet people act like we dont have real lives, with people we trust more than unknown people who are running internet Avatars.

If you have any inside dirt on Walmart, or just random poop good or bad, I would love to hear it. If you start a thread I will be there. I have a 25 year love hate relationship with them...I boycotted for near 10 years, completely. never once walked into a store.

I swear a ton of these internet people act like we dont have real lives, with people we trust more than unknown people who are running internet Avatars.

If you have any inside dirt on Walmart, or just random poop good or bad, I would love to hear it. If you start a thread I will be there. I have a 25 year love hate relationship with them...I boycotted for near 10 years, completely. never once walked into a store.

That's the point, I do not trust him and I'm calling him out. His first post on this thread was to blame Obama for him not getting a job. it took like 7 posts and half an hour for Obama derangement syndrome to kick in.

That's the point, I do not trust him and I'm calling him out. His first post on this thread was to blame Obama for him not getting a job. it took like 7 posts and half an hour for Obama derangement syndrome to kick in.

And he claims he wasn't trying to call me a dirtbag. :roll:

Lol

Seriously, dude. It's called freaking google. Use it for a couple of minutes.

It's not going to take you long to find a great many articles from the era, from a great many employers, expressing great disapproval with regard to the effects of things like Obamacare. Most of those articles will mention things like lay offs of low-paid employees, or the refusal to hire them in the first place.

You're acting like this is something I just made up.

Last edited:
And he claims he wasn't trying to call me a dirtbag. :roll:

Lol

Seriously, dude. It's called freaking google. Use it for a couple of minutes.

It's not going to take you long to find a great many articles from the era, from a great many employers, expressing great disapproval with regard to the effects of things like Obamacare. Most of those articles will mention things like lay offs of low-paid employees, or the refusal to hire them in the first place.

I never called you a dirtbag, I do think you're casting blame on other people that's not deserved. I remember when Obama was reelected, very little of those claims bore out statistically. employment has consistently increased. companies that claimed they would cut employee hours faced intense backlash and backed away from that idea (see papa johns) and no one, myself included, lost a job as a result of Obama that I am aware of.

It does sound like a great pretext to get rid of you for unjust reasons, too bad you Wal-Mart people in red states don't have a Union, because if you were UFCW and they tried to BS with you, you'd be working there full time and have a paid off new car and gadgets off the settlement you'd get.

I think you and your father were played. "Time to ax some temp workers, let's see it's south carolina, so let's just tell these people it's because of Obama, because they'll buy it lock stock and barrel and we can avoid personel problems and benefits costs from hiring too many of the temps. you didn't get the gig because they didn't want to put you on benefit plans. that's as simple as it is. Obama had zero to do with it.
Try going democrat and union for once, and watch your life improve. I had a manager try to get rid of me on pretext then write me up on a BS cause. The union fixed both and showed him who's boss. I learned my lesson, Unions stand up for you.

Last edited:
I never called you a dirtbag, I do think you're casting blame on other people that's not deserved. I remember when Obama was reelected, very little of those claims bore out statistically. employment has consistently increased. companies that claimed they would cut employee hours faced intense backlash and backed away from that idea (see papa johns) and no one, myself included, lost a job as a result of Obama that I am aware of.

It does sound like a great pretext to get rid of you for unjust reasons, too bad you Wal-Mart people in red states don't have a Union, because if you were UFCW and they tried to BS with you, you'd be working there full time and have a paid off new car and gadgets off the settlement you'd get.

I think you and your father were played. "Time to ax some temp workers, let's see it's south carolina, so let's just tell these people it's because of Obama, because they'll buy it lock stock and barrel and we can avoid personel problems and benefits costs from hiring too many of the temps. you didn't get the gig because they didn't want to put you on benefit plans. that's as simple as it is. Obama had zero to do with it.
Try going democrat and union for once, and watch your life improve. I had a manager try to get rid of me on pretext then write me up on a BS cause. The union fixed both and showed him who's boss. I learned my lesson, Unions stand up for you.

Spin it however you want, dude. :shrug:

Regardless of how you happen to feel about it, the simple fact of the matter is that it was basically a temporary "culling" of low wage labor, directed by higher corporate policy, which was enacted in response to Obama's re-election. It's the reason why I didn't keep that particular job.

Going into any more detail than that would require a thread of its own. That's not really necessary, quite frankly.

Last edited:
How many times have you mean fired, "let go", laid off for any reason?

Voted once. Shouldda voted twice -- the second time is kind of messy, but I did get fired.

The first time was my first job, when I was... 15, I think? Honestly, I just over-booked myself with extracurriculars, and I was late a lot. I cared more about them than I did about the job. Learning your limits are what the teens are for I guess.

The second time, when I was 21, was more complicated. To make a long story short, I whistle-blew on my company, which was doing some insanely unethical ****. Obviously, once they found out, they canned me. I walked away with both middle fingers raised, and me and my former supervisor reported them for their laundry list of misdeeds.

Back
Top Bottom