• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many times have you been fired?

How many times have you been fired?

Votes: 45 55.6%

Votes: 15 18.5%

Votes: 13 16.0%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Twice... but considering I worked in the violatile food service industry with crazy chefs that scream all the time that is pretty good...

Once. Last year. My whole department was canned due to new technology replacing us.

Knew it was coming... over the course of 15 years we'd gone from 20 people down to 6.

Every other job I've ever had I quit from, for one reason or another.

Had a couple of businesses I started fail also.

Twice.

While in high school I was working at a Dairy Queen ice cream place and was caught on camera using my boss' whipped cream and cherries to eat desert off of my hot Filipina coworker. The guy who fired me was later convicted of child sex abuse and related charges for also playing games with the high school girls who worked there. I guess he thought I was ****-blocking him.

Later, still in high school, I was working as a delivery boy for a pharmacy/drug store and stole a box of condoms. In order to disguise my crime I took the condoms out of the box and stuck them in my pocket and then tore up the box and flushed it. Only it didn't flush entirely and when my boss went in the bathroom there were pieces of condom box floating in the bowl. She knew that it was either me or the high school girl who was working as cashier. She questioned both of us and ultimately ended up blaming it on the cashier because, I found out later, she also suspected the cashier of stealing money from the cash registers. I don't know why, as I wasn't "getting any" from the cashier or anything like that, but when I heard she'd been fired I had an attack of conscience and confessed to my crimes. I got fired and the cashier got rehired. In an odd twist of fate I found out a couple years later from the cashier when I ran in to her at a party that she actually was stealing money from the registers.

no need to even read further in this thread

you win with that basis of termination

How many times have you mean fired, "let go", laid off for any reason?

Fired is not the same as let go or laid off, your question shows you do not know the difference.

Once. I was still in high school working for one of the chain drug stores. My cash drawer was over by $5 because someone forgot their change and I just put it on top of the register in case she came back. It probably didn't help that I'd also showed up at the store (not for work) drunk a couple of times the previous week.

I got drunk-ish a lot as a bartender but once as a waiter I accidently got wasted and went back for my second shift. I didn't get fired because the owners were awsome but I should have been. It was a top 50 restaurant in the USA (at the time) as well...

It is not just that, they play the victim and the parents get upset that their kid was "abuse", the lazy bums get tons of sympathy, and then for months they pretend to be looking for work but according to them no one will give them a chance, another chance for the parents to get upset that there kid is being "abused"...how can so many people not give their great kid a chance. 4-6 months later the parents finally start getting upset that the kid is still mooching so they start asking real questions, then the bums get a job for 2-4 months just to make it look like they really tried.

Repeat.

It is a chance for these kids to give the parents want they want, a chance to believe in their kid, and chance to feel like the world is hostile to their kids, a chance to protect their kid. I have seen this over and over again, straight up playing the parents for suckers, for profit. This is where a lot of our families are circa 2016, and I think it is disgusting.

sounds more like the green-eyed monster to me

sounds more like the green-eyed monster to me

With this generation once you sift out the very lazy and the extremely entitled who develop a bad attitude for what to them is slumming it, they are either one or both. near half the age group is off the list of candidates. And contrary to what the Corporate Class Propaganda Machine tells us I have found the Females to be at least as bad as the males. I really think they are worse, and more dishonest.

Fired is not the same as let go or laid off, your question shows you do not know the difference.

I though let go was just a nicer way of saying fired.

How many times have you mean fired, "let go", laid off for any reason?

I can't tolerate poorly written computer code. I complain about it until they either approve fixing it or I get fired. The funny thing is that 90% of the time, the replacement job pays more than the job I lost. I answered 5+.

I can't tolerate poorly written computer code. I complain about it until they either approve fixing it or I get fired. The funny thing is that 90% of the time, the replacement job pays more than the job I lost. I answered 5+.

I am a programmer too. ;)

There's a difference between being fired and being laid off, you know. One is for cause, one is for lack of work.

It just looks that way. Layoffs are often a way to get rid of people the company doesn't like but can't find an official reason to fire them.

It just looks that way. Layoffs are often a way to get rid of people the company doesn't like but can't find an official reason to fire them.

It amazes me how sometime people think layoffs mean they were victims. If they get rid of 65 people in your group but keep 5. Guess what? You weren't one of the five.

I began working at age 14 and was very irresponsible into my early 20's. Back then all I was interested in was partying, getting high and getting laid, and I wouldn't let any job interfere with that.

I'm the total opposite today, and have been for more than 20 years... I don't party, don't get high, I'm no longer a womanizer and haven't been fired from a job since 1991.

once
summer while in college
anybody served at fort bragg will understand the damned heat and humidity of a fayette'nam summer, made worse by driving a truck load of almost molten asphalt
had a dangerous incident when the pancake brakes failed on my loaded rig while traveling thru a major intersection. received a speeding violation - my first and only - because my assigned vehicle had an inoperable speedometer. one the owner had previously assured me would be repaired, but wasn't. he only smirked at me when i explained that i expected him to cover the cost of my ticket
despite those downsides, the office manager was a very cute and friendly woman of the same age
she said yes to a date, and her father fired me as soon as he got wind of it

fast forward a few years and i am assigned to compute the planimetry work for a construction project
oops, somehow the data i assembled showed that the contractor would be paid $34,000 less than anticipated because the actual excavation/hauling/disposal was substantially less than the contract estimate

my boss did not want to have to deliver the bad news. i volunteered, since having performed the computations, i could fully explain the reason for the payment reduction
the fellow who had fired me for wanting to date his daughter was just a bit more than pissed off when i shared the expensive news with a real BIG smile

A few times..and it was great! I got fired from one sleazy non profit that had no problem skirting the law....they did background checks on all new hires, and fingerprinting as was state law. Except for the time they decided to circumvent the law and hire the crazy Governor's son and not do background or fingerprinting...because they knew that he was a dangerous rapist that had served time. But...they wanted extra funding from the Gov...so....(they hated that I got really angry about them breaking the law)

Each time I was fired, I found a better job, quickly with more money.

Only thing I hated was firing people, I took it very seriously, hated to do it....except for the guy who stole 12 grand of supplies and sold them on craigslist, I enjoyed that, and pressing charges.

Lots of states are at will. You can let people go for any reason whatsoever, or no reason at all.

Lots of states are at will. You can let people go for any reason whatsoever, or no reason at all.

Yes and no. You better have cause, and you can't fire someone just because they are in a protected group, that will cost ya.

I have never been fired. Even when I have quit my boss has tried to get me back. For some reason most of my bosses have waited till I quit to give me what I want. They also learned that it was too late.

Yes and no. You better have cause, and you can't fire someone just because they are in a protected group, that will cost ya.

At least you can't SAY that's the reason, but you can have any reason you want. They smell. You don't like their eye color. They walk too slow. It really doesn't matter. So long as you don't show a pattern of terminating any protected groups, you're fine.

At least you can't SAY that's the reason, but you can have any reason you want. They smell. You don't like their eye color. They walk too slow. It really doesn't matter. So long as you don't show a pattern of terminating any protected groups, you're fine.

Yeah, I've had to be the voice of reason and liability too many times when I have had managers and CEO's wanting to fire people for no reason, and with no documentation. I had a CEO tell me he wanted to fire his assistant because "she is too old", so I asked how old she was, and how old he was...they were the same age. So, I said, "after you fire her, we then have to fire you." He was confused, so I told him that he just set limit on what age we fire employees, that set him back. I told him to spend the night practicing writing zeros, because he would have to write a bunch of them before the decimal point on the damages awards when he loses the lawsuit.

Sometimes HR is fun. :)

All you have to do is convince a jury, and it's not just protected groups. My state is "at will", but workers still have rights, some of them federal. I know of a case at a nearby small business where the worker was fired after going on medical leave with chrome's disease. They said, in the vaguest terms possible, that she was 'unprofessional' but her reviews and the timing made that seriously unbelievable

She had informed the HR lady she would be going on leave, who went on to disclose her condition to superiors (which is super illegal), who are such enormous assholes they went on to tell others including some companies she later applied to. She found out when requesting feedback after not being hired, and successfully sued them for violating medical privacy and discriminating against her condition

They're also currently involved in lawsuits for dismissing someone who was on jury duty, and for slandering a former worker. These kind of patterns can also be used against you and not just in court. Talented workers will leave at the first opportunity, knowing they will be screwed if they stay, and others won't even apply. I mean if i know of all this and i never even worked there...

How do you blame obama for walmart not taking you on as permanent?

Because in Conservativeland, everything is Obama's fault. Everything.

I've worked for Uncle Sam for the last seventeen years, and he's held onto me so far.

Before that, I got fired a few times, at least five. I can't think of a single time it could be seen as justified.

I've been fired for:
  • doing my work too fast and then having nothing to do
  • making too much money during a corporate takeover in which there was a desire to "rationalize" the payroll — I worked under the table for several months and ended up getting a big UI check when I won a court case
  • reporting labor law violations
  • being disliked by the boss's sister
The last time I got fired was on my second day on the job. I was hired as the news editor for a small newspaper here in RI. One of my duties was to copyedit the stories before they went to press. I (correctly) edited the lead sentence of an article written by the general manager. He fired me the next day when I walked in. A couple of months later, he was arrested for threatening an employee in his office with a loaded shotgun.

Back
Top Bottom