• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many times have you been fired?

How many times have you been fired?

Votes: 45 55.6%

Votes: 15 18.5%

Votes: 13 16.0%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
I've seen a lot of that, the kids don't want to work and they figure if they get fired, they can go home and lounge around a while because they tried.

as if adults never do the equivalent, which is to fill out "don't hire me" applications so they can continue sponging off unemployment

laziness is absolutely not unique to any age group

Technically, that's theft.

i also took a bunch of those old "punch cards" for free popcorn and i let in people i knew for free all the time (but so did all the other workers)

and i stole a pencil from my 2nd grade teacher

if you can't tell, i don't feel guilty at all

I intentionally 'got fired' from a ****ty movie theater summer job in high school because i hated the manager and wanted the 'experience' of being fired once. I even joked about it ahead of time with some customers, which was apparently overheard upstairs by the assistant manager. She asked me to do it quietly and since i liked her, i just handed out too many extra dollar bills in change. I think i was like $70 under that day

That's thievery...

When I wanted to get fired, I just asked for a day off, and then didn't find anyone to cover my shift.

I called my boss 10 minutes after I was supposed to have started work, and told him I wouldn't be coming in. He told me not to come to work any more.

Bang, boom, done. :shrug:

as if adults never do the equivalent, which is to fill out "don't hire me" applications so they can continue sponging off unemployment

Since when is unemployment "sponging"?

First, you had to work a certain period of time... successfully... to qualify.

Two, I paid into it (indirectly) via my overall compensation. Any expense my employer pays for me, even if I don't see it, is part of the cost of my working there, and as such is part of my overall wage compensation.

Twice.

While in high school I was working at a Dairy Queen ice cream place and was caught on camera using my boss' whipped cream and cherries to eat desert off of my hot Filipina coworker. The guy who fired me was later convicted of child sex abuse and related charges for also playing games with the high school girls who worked there. I guess he thought I was ****-blocking him.

Later, still in high school, I was working as a delivery boy for a pharmacy/drug store and stole a box of condoms. In order to disguise my crime I took the condoms out of the box and stuck them in my pocket and then tore up the box and flushed it. Only it didn't flush entirely and when my boss went in the bathroom there were pieces of condom box floating in the bowl. She knew that it was either me or the high school girl who was working as cashier. She questioned both of us and ultimately ended up blaming it on the cashier because, I found out later, she also suspected the cashier of stealing money from the cash registers. I don't know why, as I wasn't "getting any" from the cashier or anything like that, but when I heard she'd been fired I had an attack of conscience and confessed to my crimes. I got fired and the cashier got rehired. In an odd twist of fate I found out a couple years later from the cashier when I ran in to her at a party that she actually was stealing money from the registers.

I never said that it was. I just tend to see it more often among the young because they have more of a support mechanism than adults do. Unemployment isn't going to pay the mortgage in the long term.

That's thievery...

When I wanted to get fired, I just asked for a day off, and then didn't find anyone to cover my shift.

I called my boss 10 minutes after I was supposed to have started work, and told him I wouldn't be coming in. He told me not go come to work any more.

Bang, boom, done. :shrug:
I'd just quit.

I've seen a lot of that, the kids don't want to work and they figure if they get fired, they can go home and lounge around a while because they tried.

It is not just that, they play the victim and the parents get upset that their kid was "abuse", the lazy bums get tons of sympathy, and then for months they pretend to be looking for work but according to them no one will give them a chance, another chance for the parents to get upset that there kid is being "abused"...how can so many people not give their great kid a chance. 4-6 months later the parents finally start getting upset that the kid is still mooching so they start asking real questions, then the bums get a job for 2-4 months just to make it look like they really tried.

Repeat.

It is a chance for these kids to give the parents want they want, a chance to believe in their kid, and chance to feel like the world is hostile to their kids, a chance to protect their kid. I have seen this over and over again, straight up playing the parents for suckers, for profit. This is where a lot of our families are circa 2016, and I think it is disgusting.

Last edited:
because **** corporations, that's why

you pay someone 1/20000th what the boss makes and they aren't gonna be reliable, period

and one wonders how far up the ladder you may have climbed

:shock:

because **** corporations, that's why

you pay someone 1/20000th what the boss makes and they aren't gonna be reliable, period

the millions and millions and millions of reliable employees out there doing their thing every day disagree with you.

but with that attitude of yours, get used to being fired/laid off... it'll happen a lot.

Since when is unemployment "sponging"?

First, you had to work a certain period of time... successfully... to qualify.

Two, I paid into it (indirectly) via my overall compensation. Any expense my employer pays for me, even if I don't see it, is part of the cost of my working there, and as such is part of my overall wage compensation.

the bargain is you have to be *actively* seeking employment. It's intended as a safety net only, not as a means to avoid seeking an income. If everyone does this, the taxes would be higher

btw, the tax is on employers - 6.2% of the first $7000 only, and the state tax doesn't go over $34,000. It could be argued anyone who draws in more from a social program than they contribute is sponging. In fact in 2011, unemployment was at 9% and far more was being taken out than put in, causing states to sponge off the fed. Yep, handouts - $41 billion that year

god i love how i can so easily set off everyone i never had respect for. You'd think i took from their own piggy banks or that they personally owned a multi billion $ theater complex

the bargain is you have to be *actively* seeking employment. It's intended as a safety net only, not as a means to avoid seeking an income. If everyone does this, the taxes would be higher

btw, the tax is on employers - 6.2% of the first $7000 only, and the state tax doesn't go over $34,000. It could be argued anyone who draws in more from a social program than they contribute is sponging. In fact in 2011, unemployment was at 9% and far more was being taken out than put in, causing states to sponge off the fed. Yep, handouts - $41 billion that year
That's great, but I wasn't talking about efficiency on the government's side. I was talking about how my overall compensation as an employee contributed to it. As such, I had no qualms when I had to use it during the Great Recession. As far as I was concerned, after working at the same place for 21 years I was merely tapping my own reserves.

god i love how i can so easily set off everyone i never had respect for. You'd think i took from their own piggy banks or that they personally owned a multi billion $ theater complex
Theft is passed on to the customer in way of higher prices. It affects everybody and it adds up.

Theft is passed on to the customer in way of higher prices. It affects everybody and it adds up.

lol no, that is true of struggling businesses only. The actual cost of a product merely reflects what they can sell it for

That's great, but I wasn't talking about efficiency on the government's side. I was talking about how my overall compensation as an employee contributed to it. As such, I had no qualms when I had to use it during the Great Recession. As far as I was concerned, after working at the same place for 21 years I was merely tapping my own reserves.

i was close to an assistant manager at a gas station and i can't tell you how common it is for former workers on unemployment to do as i described. He got so many trash applications every day he couldn't keep track. Some literally said "**** you i'm eating" "don't hire me" "i love the *****" etc etc. You really want to defend that?

i was close to an assistant manager at a gas station and i can't tell you how common it is for former workers on unemployment to do as i described. He got so many trash applications every day he couldn't keep track. Some literally said "**** you i'm eating" "don't hire me" "i love the *****" etc etc. You really want to defend that?
Of course that happens. If you would have paid more attention you would know that I was speaking only of myself.

They didn't want you, so they didn't hire you. That is not a hard concept. It is called personal responsibility. A true conservative would understand.

You act like Sam Walton along with a human resources expert from Harvard put Gathomas through a battery of tests to determine he didn't qualify. In reality they have a human resource manager who's may as well be a kiosk because he/she probably has no room whatsoever to freelance, other than to determine whether or not they think your drunk or high during the interview.

You act like Sam Walton along with a human resources expert from Harvard put Gathomas through a battery of tests to determine he didn't qualify. In reality they have a human resource manager who's may as well be a kiosk because he/she probably has no room whatsoever to freelance, other than to determine whether or not they think your drunk or high during the interview.

What does this have to do with sam walton? His manager decided he wasn't worth keeping. That is all.

What does this have to do with sam walton? His manager decided he wasn't worth keeping. That is all.

No, as I've said multiple times at this point, there was a corporate directed hiring freeze.

I know as much, because I've got a relative who actually works in upper management with Walmart, and that's what they blatantly told me.

Any particular reason you're being so obtuse over this?

You're right. Because some other people do bad stuff, you should to. Not sure why everyone has an issue with that.

Back
Top Bottom