• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many times have you been fired?

How many times have you been fired?

Votes: 45 55.6%

Votes: 15 18.5%

Votes: 13 16.0%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

99percenter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
How many times have you mean fired, "let go", laid off for any reason?

Only once, as a teenager working a part time thing while in high school.

And I had it coming... ;)

Once as a teenager.

Like the previous two, only once as a teenager. It happened summer 2008 at a 10-employee company I was interning at. They let go of 6 of people.

There's a difference between being fired and being laid off, you know. One is for cause, one is for lack of work.

Twice. Both menial jobs, nothing important.

The first was actually right before I left for basic training with the military. I didn't see the point of continuing to work as a busboy for eight hours a day when I was going to be getting my butt kicked by a drill sergeant in two weeks anyway, but my parents wouldn't let me quit. I basically "engineered" my own firing as such.

Kind of stupid, but whatever. I was young. :lol:

The second was more of a "laying off." After I got back from overseas, I was hired as a temp by Walmart during Holiday Season 2012. It was actually a pretty cool job. I was selling guns in the sporting goods department, my managers liked me, and they swore up and down that they planned to take me on full-time after the holiday season ended.

Unfortunately... That didn't happen. Employers were kind of skittish in the aftermath of Obama's re-election, so basically all of the temp employees got the axe.

twice

once a layoff....recession hit, and i was one of the new guys on the block....

once fired....in the car world, when ownership changes hands, they usually bring in their own people at the top. That happened to me about 15 years ago....one tuesday morning out of the blue, we were all at work, and the owner came in....called everyone in around the showroom. Told everyone he had sold the store, and that no one was being retained by new ownership....not even the mechanics....

the worst part was i had just put a 20k deposit down on a brand new home 3 days earlier....i got almost all of it back....but yeah, that was a rough few months.

Twice. Both menial jobs, nothing important.

The first was actually right before I left for basic training with the military. I didn't see the point of continuing to work as a busboy for eight hours a day when I was going to be getting my butt kicked by a drill sergeant in two weeks anyway, but my parents wouldn't let me quit. I basically "engineered" my own firing as such.

Kind of stupid, but whatever. I was young. :lol:

The second was more of a "laying off." After I got back from overseas, I was hired as a temp by Walmart during Holiday Season 2012. It was actually a pretty cool job. I was selling guns in the sporting goods department, my managers liked me, and they swore up and down that they planned to take me on full-time after the holiday season ended.

Unfortunately... That didn't happen. Employers were kind of skittish in the aftermath of Obama's re-election, so basically all of the temp employees got the axe.

How do you blame obama for walmart not taking you on as permanent?

How do you blame obama for walmart not taking you on as permanent?

Because my father happens to work as a manager at Walmart, and he told me flat out at the time that the company stopped hiring people for several months after Holiday Season 2012, and cut back on permanent employees' hours as well, in direct response to Obama's re-election, and concerns over the effects of things like Obamacare.

If you recall, the stockmarket also dipped by several points during this same period.

Last edited:
Once. I was still in high school working for one of the chain drug stores. My cash drawer was over by $5 because someone forgot their change and I just put it on top of the register in case she came back. It probably didn't help that I'd also showed up at the store (not for work) drunk a couple of times the previous week.

Because my father happens to work as a manager at Walmart, and he told me flat out at the time that the company flat out stopped hiring people for several months after Holiday Season 2012, and cut back on permanent employees' hours as well, in direct response to Obama's re-election, and concerns over the effects of things like Obamacare.

If you recall, the stockmarket also dipped by several points during this same period.

Trust me. If they really wanted you, obama wasn't stopping them.

Trust me. If they really wanted you, obama wasn't stopping them.

No, Corporate HQ was stopping them, because they put a freeze on hiring, because the general consensus was that Obama's re-election was bad for the economy, and they wanted to play things safe.

This isn't a hard concept.

Once as a teen working at a liquor store. The owner decided that he didn't really need two people to stock bottles and make deliveries so as the new guy I got the boot.

On the other side I've had to fire or layoff people three times. I felt worse after all of those than I did losing my job.

No, Corporate HQ was stopping them, because they put a freeze on hiring, because the general consensus was that Obama's re-election was bad for the economy, and they wanted to play things safe.

This isn't a hard concept.

They didn't want you, so they didn't hire you. That is not a hard concept. It is called personal responsibility. A true conservative would understand.

They didn't want you, so they didn't hire you. That is not a hard concept. It is called personal responsibility. A true conservative would understand.

What part of "company wide hiring freeze" aren't you getting here, genius? :roll:

Again, the reasons why it was put in place aren't exactly hard to see if one pulls their head out of their ass long enough to actually look around and see what was happening at the time.

DOW Plunges 300 Points After Election 2012

Wall Street is showing it’s post election disapproval at the prospect of more Obama economic policy. Stocks had fell off sharply by noon Wednesday with the Dow down 300 points or 2.6% – trading below the 13,000 mark for the first time in 3 months. The S&P Index was off more than 2.7% at 1391.

Mixed bag: Minn. businesses, employees react to Obama's re-election

Consumers and businesses alike have been jittery about spending cash. The result is weak economic activity and tepid job growth.

Take your ignorant trolling somewhere else.

Whoa...I voted 'never' but after reading the OP I have to revise my vote...kind of...I worked after high school in a lumber mill and was laid off during the season where there were road restrictions on logging trucks (no logs... no lumber to process)...but only for about a month. My next job in a very large manufacturer lasted 34 years without a lay off.

Never been fired.

I am "laid off" every winter now. I work on a golf course in New Jersey. Gotta be laid off, because the course closes in the winter.

Consider each time you are fired to be a chance to double your pay.

Twice.

Once when young. Not so much for "cause", per se, but I just wasn't suited for the work. It was construction (sheet metal/HVAC), and while the quality of my work was fine, I am very slow with that type of thing, and it wasn't working out. When I do a home project, for example, it still takes me probably 3 times longer to do it than most people. I had already applied to school two months prior, and had been accepted, because I knew it wasn't for me and visa-versa. It was decent paying so I was just riding my time out until school started. My boss thought I would be one of those guys who bounced around between all the competing companies every six months, and was surprised when I told him I has no plans to stay in the industry.

The other time was after 21 years at the company and was a victim of the Great Recession. That was a lay-off, not a termination.

Once as a teen working at a liquor store. The owner decided that he didn't really need two people to stock bottles and make deliveries so as the new guy I got the boot.

On the other side I've had to fire or layoff people three times. I felt worse after all of those than I did losing my job.

Having to lay someone off sucks but I've never felt bad about the ones I fired. If you don't show up for work, don't do the work that's assigned to you or piss off my clients because you somehow or other got it into your head that they work for you I won't miss you a bit.

Never, i'm pretty young so i'm still "economically viable."

Twice, by drug addicted business owners who ended up hiring me back (one was forced to, another realized I was too valuable to get rid of), but in the end I ultimately quit working for them- they were ripping me off and they were totally nuts.

On the flip side, as a company owner with lots of turnover, Ive fired hundreds ... so the ratio of being fired to firing others is to my advantage. ;)

I never lost a job in high school, however when I entered media things changed. As an unpaid intern at the Kitchener Waterloo Record Newspaper, I was let go for having drinks with a reporter at one of the radio stations, which hires me as a non paid intern.

In Radio I changed jobs after a year plus, was fired from that one, the 'reason' being I made a lot of mistakes, but it was a matter of personality, the DJ and I hated each other. I got a new job right away and left that after four months to move again at a new job, where they made me News Director after 6 weeks as they had fired my boss. I lasted another four months and was canned; I was 22 years old I and was no where near mature enough. From there I moved to Montreal and stayed five years.

That turn over in early media is not unusual however I kind of got a reputation...each time I had to move I did so in a 1972 Ford Pinto with a growing record collection which took up all the space in the floor of the backseat. [By the time I left Montreal I had 4,700 albums

Back
Top Bottom