• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are gay people born that way or is it a choice?

Are people born gay?

• Yes

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters
ptsdkid said:
Of course people are not born gay. That's like saying a baby is born a heroin addict. Of course, mother's that were pregnant while shooting heroin give a great chance that their offspring will continue with the habit. But that habit can be remedied through the proper medicinal treatment plan. We're talking about the genes(DNA) here. There is no scientific proof that a child will be born with a gay gene.
It's the child's enviroment that formulates his taste in sexual preference. Let's say two lezbos are raising a male child, and they dress him up in panties and skirts and give him girlie dolls to play with through his adolescent years--what becomes the chance that he'll turn out queer? Close to 100%, I'll bet.
I know there are a few cases where the effemminate boy produces a high pitched female voice and actually grows breasts, but despite these anomalies--he still relies on his enviornment to formulate and choose his switch-hitting status in the bedroom.
You have no clue what you are talking about. Yes, people are born gay just as people are born with both male and female organs and people are born with genes that causes mental illnesses such as depression and and schizophrenia. People are born blind and cripled. No, all people are not born as they are intended to be.

Stinger said:
Probably better stated as lack of evidence that someone IS a homosexual in some physical way. It is a behavior, there is no physical difference between men who do and men who don't engage in homosexuality, no genetic difference, no physical difference. Same with women, all types of women engage in lesbian behavior. There is no capability of being born "gay" or "a homosexual".

Turn gay as in "start engaging in homosexual activities", you don't they choose to. Now you might, starting with a very young immature person or a weak minded person entice them into homosexual behavior, but I imagine most freely do so.

Well since I have no idea what you are saying..................
Mental illness is a behavior. Are you saying that because you can't see a physical differnce with the naked eye, that it does not exists? Do you actually think that anyone would chose to be gay as to being straight in a world that looks down on those that are gay?

Stinger said:
Amzing how the evidence says the opposite of what the majority of the poll want to believe.
I don't think you have any evidence. All you have are your beliefs.

Citizen said:
Also, people chose to believe that homosexuality if perversion. But if two people decide to live their life together in marriage, that is not in my opinion perverted.

Well if they engage in homosexuality while they live together then the sex they engage in is a perversion.

2 : a perverted form; especially : an aberrant sexual practice especially when habitual and preferred to normal coitus

And for those in Rio Linda

ab·er·rant
1 : straying from the right or normal way
2 : deviating from the usual or natural type :

Many people believe that gay men want to have sex with little boys and multiple partners.

"Many"? Out of how many? But most men who engage in sex with little boys do so homosexually. And statistics do show that gay men have more sexual partners than straight men.

I believe that lack of understanding who gay people really are is what causes such distain towards them.

I think it's the homosexual behavior that draws the distain.

I don't come here too often, but it seems that there are always at least one thread about gays and gay rights. I'm curious why.:confused:

The Real McCoy said:
What if homosexuality actually was determined by genetics and they managed to locate the gene responsible for it and parents starting aborting gay fetuses. Would the liberals turn pro-life?
Well, people are already aborting fetuses that are deformed or brain damaged. Have any liberals turned pro-life yet?

Stinger said:
Well if they engage in homosexuality while they live together then the sex they engage in is a perversion.

2 : a perverted form; especially : an aberrant sexual practice especially when habitual and preferred to normal coitus

ab·er·rant
1 : straying from the right or normal way
2 : deviating from the usual or natural type :

"Many"? Out of how many? But most men who engage in sex with little boys do so homosexually. And statistics do show that gay men have more sexual partners than straight men.

I think it's the homosexual behavior that draws the distain.
Well, many heterosexual married people "stray from the right or normal way" so therefore most married people are perverted. Anyone that has sex with a child is a pervert whether homosexually or heterosexually and there are probably more heterosexual having sex with children than homosexuals. To have distain for a person because of what they do in private with a willing adult is a wasted emotion. I don't harbour such hatred. P.S. I'll bet you call yourself a Christain.

Stinger said:

I just got to know. Is it blind religious fanatasism or is homophobia?

Write your own jokes.

Stinger said:
Well since I have no idea what you are saying..................
I didn't want to have to spell it out for you but, If its a choice then any guy is capable of sex with another guy. Could you? Physically "do it"?

saffron said:
I don't come here too often, but it seems that there are always at least one thread about gays and gay rights. I'm curious why.:confused:

Becasue3 the religious right is obsessed with how other people have sex. It is a control issue, and like the Nazis or a pack of wolves they pick off the small and weakest parts of the heard of society first.

Vandeervecken said:
Becasue3 the religious right is obsessed with how other people have sex. It is a control issue, and like the Nazis or a pack of wolves they pick off the small and weakest parts of the heard of society first.

I have many friends that oppose gay marriage and none of us are from the religeous right......:confused:

Re: Environment not Genetics makes the Homo

Navy Pride said:
No one knows for sure whether your born gay or not but you sure as hell can choose to engage in gay sex acts whether your straight or gay and vice versa............

Yeah, but can you decide to enjoy it or not?

Duke

Navy Pride said:
I have many friends that oppose gay marriage and none of us are from the religeous right......:confused:

A substantial majority of black Americans oppose gay marriage and it was be really hard to count THEM as from the so-called 'religious right'.

Re: Environment not Genetics makes the Homo

ptsdkid said:
#1 From Psychiatrist Jeffrey Satinover, M.D.:

“Like all complex behavioral and mental states, homosexuality is…neither exclusively biological nor exclusively psychological, but results from an as-yet-difficult-to-quantitative mixture of genetic factors, intrauterine influences…postnatal environment (such as parent, sibling and cultural behavior), and a complex series of repeatedly reinforced choices occurring at critical phases of development.”--J. Satinover, M.D., Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth (1996). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.

I agree with Jeffrey Satinover. I believe homosexuality has a biological basis in some and in others, a mixture. I'm still waiting for someone to refute my biological studies that I posted. ( And, I don't mean pasting and quoting from a supposed expert because many times they can be wrong and this is most true in the field of medicine where we see studies overturning expert opinions all the time. ) I mean looking at the primary data and telling me the studies were flawed. Parties that say it is completely biological/ genetic and those who say it is completely psycosocial are both missing good data on the causative aspects of human sexuality.

By the way, in the January edition of New England Journal Of Medicine an article mentioned isolating a sexual behavior gene on the common fruit fly. Granted, humans are not flies :mrgreen: , but it proves that if we can isolate a gene for something as complex as sexual behavior in a lower life form, the same may be true for humans. And remember, just because we haven't isolated it in humans yet does not mean it does not exist. (I mentioned how we haven't completely isolated the male pattern balding gene, but that does not make it a choice :lol: )

Last edited:
It's not black and white whatever the answer, i kniow a gay couple where one of them was born gay and never ****ed a *****, while the other became gay at the age of fifteen after ****ing various girls and not liking it.

Mickyjaystoned said:
It's not black and white whatever the answer, i kniow a gay couple where one of them was born gay and never ****ed a *****, while the other became gay at the age of fifteen after ****ing various girls and not liking it.

i would suspect both your friends were born gay, but one was fearful of the gay stigma
so he stuck his little willy in girls to be 'normal'
only to realize it didnt make him happy
so than he tried packing fudge :shock: and once he gave into his orientation he was a happy camper

I was born straight, I love chicks.Always have, always will. Never had the inclination to do a guy
but maybe i would have if being hetero had the stigma that homo's deal with

Mickyjaystoned said:

I think that they were both born gay, but the second did not realize it until he was 15 and found out he was not attracted to females.

Duke

Navy Pride said:

There are only two reasons I can comprehend for being opposed to gay marriage, superstition (religion), and being uncomfortable with ones own sexuality. Other than those two reasons why anyone would care evades me. Are you uncomfortable with your own sexuality?

Engimo said:
If marriage is "laughed at in the secular liberal world", why do atheists have the lowest divorce rate?

It is considered a legal arrangement in that world. People who treat it as sacred are scoffed at in the liberal secular world.

A Democrat I know said this once and it really seemed to embody the value liberals put on marriage:

"Marriage is where you find someone you don't like and you buy them a house."

A couple of things:

1) There is a huge, vast majority of people in this country who believe there is some kind of higher power. That is undisputed in national poll after national poll. There may be more divorces in the Christian world than in the Atheist world, but Christians also exponentially outnumber Atheists, so that is natural. And if you go by percentages, the numbers aren't what is considered, "statistically significant."

2) Every study I have heard up until now indicates that marriage is WAY more likely to succeed in religious circles. It would take some pretty compelling evidence to convince me otherwise at this point. The web site you provided clearly has taken a position against organized religion. Follow their links. They complain about Atheists getting discriminated against, portray them as victims in general, and tend to find that Atheists and Agnostics are better, in every way they measure, than Christians. This is hardly an objective source.

Last edited:
aquapub said:
It is considered a legal arrangement in that world. People who treat it as sacred are scoffed at in the liberal secular world.

A Democrat I know said this once and it really seemed to embody the value liberals put on marriage:

"Marriage is where you find someone you don't like and you buy them a house."

Well, that's the opinion of the person you know. My husband and I are both liberals, and our marriage is quite "sacred" to us. Neither of us are religious, we weren't married in a church, and yet, our marriage is a lot more than just a legal contract to us.

Please don't make blanket statements when you can't really back it up with anything mroe than what one person you know said.

A couple of problems with your assertion:

1) There is a huge, vast majority of people in this country who believe there is some kind of higher power. That is undisputed in national poll after national poll. There may be more divorces in the Christian world than in the Atheist world, but Christians also exponentially outnumber Atheists, so that is natural.

There are also lots of people that aren't atheists, but also aren't Christians. I'd guess that there is at least one study out there that accounts for the differences in numbers and adjusts accordingly.

2) Everything I have heard up until now indicates that marriage is WAY more likely to succeed in religious circles. It would take something pretty compelling to convince me otherwise at this point. The web site you provided clearly has taken a position against organized religion. Follow their links. They complain about Atheists getting discriminated against, portray them as victims in general, and tend to find that Atheists and agnostics are better, in every way they measure, than Christianity. This is hardly an objective source.

Do you have any sources to back up your assertion? Because right now, that's just your opinion, and my opinion is vastly different. Every person I know that has been married, very few of those that were married in a religious/church ceremony are still together. Those of us that aren't religious and subsequently did not have a church ceremony, are all still together with no sign of divorce in the near future.

Vandeervecken said:
There are only two reasons I can comprehend for being opposed to gay marriage, superstition (religion), and being uncomfortable with ones own sexuality. Other than those two reasons why anyone would care evades me. Are you uncomfortable with your own sexuality?

Take the time to go back and read this thread..I gave you my reason for being anti gay marriage and they are not for the reasons you mentioned.......

Dandy. Could you re-state them here so we can debate them easily?

Duke

Duke said:
Dandy. Could you re-state them here so we can debate them easily?

Duke

No way, don't be so lazy and read the wole thread and you will find them.....

Okay! Are you talking about your points that were disproved or otherwise found incorrect or faulty, or the other ones?

Wait, there are no other ones!

Darn!

Duke

Back
Top Bottom