• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are gay people born that way or is it a choice?

Are people born gay?

• Yes

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters
Navy Pride said:
Yeah, lets all have sex...........Animals, kids, its natural, disgusting liberal mantra if it feels good do it........:roll:

You said it, not Mickey.....

Stace said:
You said it, not Mickey.....

Mickey said:
Sex is natural, it is a need all people share.

It does not matter what or who you do it with, as long as it feels right.

Stop the gay bashing and get laid yourselves.

You might like a bit of bum fun.

I rest my case.........

Navy Pride said:
Mickey said:

I rest my case.........

I'm perfectly capable of reading, thank you. Been doing it since I was three.

It's not his fault that you would immediately infer it to be something dirty. Most people with common sense would realize that he was talking about gender, as we are talking about gay issues; I certainly in no way thought him to be including children or animals.

Mickyjaystoned said:

No one is gay-bashing here. I have no clue where you are coming from. You do not make any points, and you accuse people of doing things they are not doing.

Duke

Navy Pride said:
Yeah, lets all have sex...........Animals, kids, its natural, disgusting liberal mantra if it feels good do it........:roll:

Exactly why I had to make that comment about you to cnredd the other day. Here we go with the liberal bashing again. No one said a *******ed word about fuc.king children or animals and no one thought it but you. In fact, its always you that brings it up. Either you or stinger or ptsdkid or stu ghatze or aquapube or one the other slime trails that go sliding through this forum creating issues out of non issues. It is awful funny how I see you guys accuse libs of everything under the sun, but it always seems to be you RINO's and neocons who make the initial assertions. The way you guys think is disgusting.

jallman said:
Exactly why I had to make that comment about you to cnredd the other day. Here we go with the liberal bashing again. No one said a *******ed word about fuc.king children or animals and no one thought it but you. In fact, its always you that brings it up. Either you or stinger or ptsdkid or stu ghatze or aquapube or one the other slime trails that go sliding through this forum creating issues out of non issues. It is awful funny how I see you guys accuse libs of everything under the sun, but it always seems to be you RINO's and neocons who make the initial assertions. The way you guys think is disgusting.

jallman, you said everything I wanted to say, but refrained from.....:mrgreen: I do try to keep those things in the basement, but sometimes, they do need to come upstairs....

Of course people are not born gay, but I do think they are born with either more male dominated genes, or cromizones(sp, I'm having trouble with this one today:3oops: ), or female. My own nephew has this imbalance, and shows signs of female tendencies, this could only be explained by these things. Sexual preference is a choice, and if you are born this way, most likely you will be steered by your environment, and societies labels. So I would never refer to my nephew as gay, I would hope he is allowed to make his own choice, and not be told by others who, or what he is.

Deegan said:
Of course people are not born gay, but I do think they are born with either more male dominated genes, or cromizones(sp, I'm having trouble with this one today:3oops: ), or female. My own nephew has this imbalance, and shows signs of female tendencies, this could only be explained by these things. Sexual preference is a choice, and if you are born this way, most likely you will be steered by your environment, and societies labels. So I would never refer to my nephew as gay, I would hope he is allowed to make his own choice, and not be told by others who, or what he is.

:applaud And that is exactly how an uncle should think about his nephew. And lets all bear in mind too that gender identity has very little to do with sexual preference. I am homosexual but most people dont believe it when they first meet me. However, other men couldnt hide it if they actually tried to. On the other hand, you have totally straight men who are as sissified as they come. Your nephew could very well just be sensitive and gentle as opposed to forming a homosexual orientation. Either way, you are taking a commendable stance on the issue.

Stace said:
jallman, you said everything I wanted to say, but refrained from.....:mrgreen: I do try to keep those things in the basement, but sometimes, they do need to come upstairs....

Well you will find that I have a tendency to accept things in stride until the ignorance and idiocy just build up to a melting point. I whole-heartedly enjoy Navy's post usually and he and I see eye to eye on some if not most things...but the incessant use of "liberal" like its an insult is annoying and infuriating especially when he whines about being called a "bigot" in the same spirit. And then it always seems to come from the neocon (not to be confused with real conservatives like cnredd) camp...these wild and disgusting assertions about perversions that no one even conceived of until one of them had to say it. And whats worse, is they then falsely attribute the idea to their opposition in a most transparent attempt to deflect from their own moral failings. Its sick and its 90 percent of the reason I have no respect for the "right".

As for the others I listed...well, some days I think they all fight for use of the same defunct brain cell and the other days I think they all have an extra chromosome.

jallman said:
Well you will find that I have a tendency to accept things in stride until the ignorance and idiocy just build up to a melting point. I whole-heartedly enjoy Navy's post usually and he and I see eye to eye on some if not most things...but the incessant use of "liberal" like its an insult is annoying and infuriating especially when he whines about being called a "bigot" in the same spirit. And then it always seems to come from the neocon (not to be confused with real conservatives like cnredd) camp...these wild and disgusting assertions about perversions that no one even conceived of until one of them had to say it. And whats worse, is they then falsely attribute the idea to their opposition in a most transparent attempt to deflect from their own moral failings. Its sick and its 90 percent of the reason I have no respect for the "right".

As for the others I listed...well, some days I think they all fight for use of the same defunct brain cell and the other days I think they all have an extra chromosome.

Thank you for the kind words, and the correct spelling of "chromosome" it was killing me that I could not muster it's correct spelling.:doh ;) ;)

Deegan said:

Unfortunately, the massive amount of evidence points to there being a gentic link of homosexuality. This would mean that people are born with the tendency of being homosexual. Of course no one is saying the environment has no impact, but to say that people aren't born gay is not entirely correct. Although I do commend you on your tolerance. What do you mean by more maled dominated genes? As far as I knew, people can not have an excess amount of x or y chromosomes.

Kelzie said:
Unfortunately, the massive amount of evidence points to there being a gentic link of homosexuality. This would mean that people are born with the tendency of being homosexual. Of course no one is saying the environment has no impact, but to say that people aren't born gay is not entirely correct. Although I do commend you on your tolerance. What do you mean by more maled dominated genes? As far as I knew, people can not have an excess amount of x or y chromosomes.

Then how do we encounter hermaphrodites?

I will never be convinced that sexual preference is a genetic issue, or in laymans terms, born gay, it's just not feasible.

Deegan said:

I will never be convinced that sexual preference is a genetic issue, or in laymans terms, born gay, it's just not feasible.

Your call. Science doesn't convince a lot of people. Not much you can do about it.

Kelzie said:
Your call. Science doesn't convince a lot of people. Not much you can do about it.

How can you possibly know your preference, if you have not yet had a chance to decide? I trust science immensely, I just don't have an answer to that question, and would argue that, science, has yet to provide one.

Deegan said:
How can you possibly know your preference, if you have not yet had a chance to decide? I trust science immensely, I just don't have an answer to that question, and would argue that, science, has yet to provide one.

Because for many people, it's not a decision at all. I never decided to be heterosexual. I just am. There are several studies posted on this thread that show without a doubt that homosexuality has a genetic/biological source.

Deegan said:

Here's an article that explains human intersexuals (I guess hermaphrodite isn't an accurate term when referring to the human species, it is generally only used to refer to animals nowadays from what I understand).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexual

What if science can come up with indisputable evidence that people are born gay or straight? Like Kelzie said, I certainly didn't choose to be heterosexual; I just am. I am in no way knocking on your opinion, so please don't take my question the wrong way or anything; I'm just curious as to whether or not your response would change if such evidence were presented, and how it might change.

Kelzie said:
Because for many people, it's not a decision at all. I never decided to be heterosexual. I just am. There are several studies posted on this thread that show without a doubt that homosexuality has a genetic/biological source.

And I believe they are confusing those studies!

Just because you may be born with more feminine, or masculine traits, does not at all dictate your sexual preference. I believe your environment dictates those choices, and many times in this society, people like yourself, you say, go this way. I think that's unfortunate, and wrong, everyone has a choice, and they should be allowed to make that choice, without outside interference.

Deegan said:
And I believe they are confusing those studies!

Just because you may be born more feminine, or masculine traits, does not at all dictate your sexual preference. I believe your environment dictates those choices, and many times in this society, people like yourself, you say, go this way. I think that's unfortunate, and wrong, everyone has a choice, and they should be allowed to make that choice, without outside interference.

So the scientists are confusing those studies, and you've got it right? Gotcha. I'll believe the scientists though, and you can believe your opinion. Unless you have some factual proof for your belief that people choose their sexuality at some point?

Kelzie said:
So the scientists are confusing those studies, and you've got it right? Gotcha. I'll believe the scientists though, and you can believe your opinion. Unless you have some factual proof for your belief that people choose their sexuality at some point?

I believe I do, yes. Do you have a problem with that, or is it just because I said it?:confused:

The facts are these, we have made homosexuality a bad word, and now some are out to prove this wrong, and they use these studies to do so. Their motivations are admirable, but misguided. They use studies of people who have already made their choice, and this in no way can be used to label people who have yet to make their choices, nor should it. We have just decided, or your scientist have, that these people have their place, and that they should just accept it, and not question it any further, "you're gay, just accept it, it's in your DNA" That is just a ridiculous assumption, and a dangerous one, especially for those who have yet to decide!

Kelzie said:
One of my sisters chose to be gay due to abuse.

Some people are born with a degree of Gender Identity Disorder.

One was a choice, one was not.

Deegan said:
I believe I do, yes. Do you have a problem with that, or is it just because I said it?:confused:

The facts are these, we have made homosexuality a bad word, and now some are out to prove this wrong, and they use these studies to do so. Their motivations are admirable, but misguided. They use studies of people who have already made their choice, and this in no way can be used to label people who have yet to make their choices, nor should it. We have just decided, or your scientist have, that these people have their place, and that they should just accept it, and not question it any further, "you're gay, just accept it, it's in your DNA" That is just a ridiculous assumption, and a dangerous one, especially for those who have yet to decide!

Well, I think its important to note that it is neither purely choice nor purely genetics. Yes, there is clearly a causal relationship between genetics and predisposition to homosexuality. And yes, there is a blatant causal effect from the environment on the final outcome of orientation. No one is saying the science is wrong or faulty...just incomplete. And no one is asserting that the choice is completely negated...only that it is strongly affected by the genetic causation.

jallman said:
Well, I think its important to note that it is neither purely choice nor purely genetics. Yes, there is clearly a causal relationship between genetics and predisposition to homosexuality. And yes, there is a blatant causal effect from the environment on the final outcome of orientation. No one is saying the science is wrong or faulty...just incomplete. And no one is asserting that the choice is completely negated...only that it is strongly affected by the genetic causation.

And I agree with that, I just don't want to ever get to the point that we decide for others, before they have the chance to decide. To say, "you're born that way, you're gay" is to not understand the complexity of the issue at all, scientifically, or socially, IMHO.;)

Stace said:
I'm perfectly capable of reading, thank you. Been doing it since I was three.

It's not his fault that you would immediately infer it to be something dirty. Most people with common sense would realize that he was talking about gender, as we are talking about gay issues; I certainly in no way thought him to be including children or animals.

You are young, You weren't around in the sixties when the mantra of your liberal friends was "If it feels good do it." Be adamn the consequences.......

Navy Pride said:
You are young, You weren't around in the sixties when the mantra of your liberal friends was "If it feels good do it." Be adamn the consequences.......

Well I would like to kindly point out that the goings on of almost 50 years ago, while relevant to modern issues, are neither parallel nor congruent analogies to modern liberalism. Still, I highly doubt the liberals of the sixties indulged the disgusting ideas you put forth every time this topic comes up.

jallman said:
Well I would like to kindly point out that the goings on of almost 50 years ago, while relevant to modern issues, are neither parallel nor congruent analogies to modern liberalism. Still, I highly doubt the liberals of the sixties indulged the disgusting ideas you put forth every time this topic comes up.

I don't know but the "If it Feels Good Mantra" was alive and well in the eighties when the AIDS epedemic came upon us and many young gay men paid the price for that attitude with their lives...............

Back
Top Bottom