• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are gay people born that way or is it a choice?

Are people born gay?

• Yes

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters
Navy Pride said:
I don't know but the "If it Feels Good Mantra" was alive and well in the eighties when the AIDS epedemic came upon us and many young gay men paid the price for that attitude with their lives...............

Well, there was also a lot of keeping the AIDS epidemic trend hush hush by the administration of the time too. And also a lot of misinformation being offered...and also a lot of refusal to educate...and also a lot of already bad behaviors on the parts of gay men...to simplify it to a hippy/liberal mantra of if it feels good is inane and lacking insight.

jallman said:
Well, there was also a lot of keeping the AIDS epidemic trend hush hush by the administration of the time too. And also a lot of misinformation being offered...and also a lot of refusal to educate...and also a lot of already bad behaviors on the parts of gay men...to simplify it to a hippy/liberal mantra of if it feels good is inane and lacking insight.

I am not denying that some people tried to keep the AIDS situtation hush hush, what I am saying that if you did not have the prevalent mantra that I mentioned maybe some people both gay men and others would have taken it seriously...........

Navy Pride said:
I am not denying that some people tried to keep the AIDS situtation hush hush, what I am saying that if you did not have the prevalent mantra that I mentioned maybe some people both gay men and others would have taken it seriously...........

You do realize that:

a) not all gay people are liberals, and

b) people CAN think for themselves.

c) People other than gay men can and have contract(ed) the AIDS virus.

People aren't just going to "do it if it feels good" just because other people are running around doing so. MOST people are smart enough to realize that if there's a significant risk in doing something, it's probably not a wise idea to partake in that activity.

Stace said:
You do realize that:

a) not all gay people are liberals, and

b) people CAN think for themselves.

c) People other than gay men can and have contract(ed) the AIDS virus.

People aren't just going to "do it if it feels good" just because other people are running around doing so. MOST people are smart enough to realize that if there's a significant risk in doing something, it's probably not a wise idea to partake in that activity.

Sure I know there are gay conservatives..........I know 2 that are friends of mine and they hate what the liberals and gay liberals are doing supposedly for them.........

Woodstock and those activities are a little before your time and they were just one big orgy.......

Navy Pride said:
Sure I know there are gay conservatives..........I know 2 that are friends of mine and they hate what the liberals and gay liberals are doing supposedly for them.........

Woodstock and those activities are a little before your time and they were just one big orgy.......

And what's your point with throwing out that your friends "hate what the liberals and gay liberals are supposedly doing for them"? Served NO purpose whatsoever. All you had to say was, Yes, I have two gay friends that are conservatives, so I do realize that not all homosexuals are liberals. That would have been more than a sufficient answer.

Secondly, what does Woodstock, or the fact that it was "before my time", have to do with anything? That was ONE crowd of people out of how many in this entire country?

DeeJayH said:
There are more than 1 billion Agnostics?
if memory serves, that is how many catholics there are
How many Hindus?
how many Muslims?
how many non-catholic christians?
seems like we are coming up on 6 billion pretty quick

Well, if this is correct, then I guess it reinforces my original point about Christians outnumbering Atheists so badly that OF COURSE Christians would have more divorces.

If that is correct, thanks for setting the record straight...

And I sympathize with your signature...I am a Browns fan. :(

Stace said:
And what's your point with throwing out that your friends "hate what the liberals and gay liberals are supposedly doing for them"? Served NO purpose whatsoever. All you had to say was, Yes, I have two gay friends that are conservatives, so I do realize that not all homosexuals are liberals. That would have been more than a sufficient answer.

Secondly, what does Woodstock, or the fact that it was "before my time", have to do with anything? That was ONE crowd of people out of how many in this entire country?

The point I am trying to make to you is all gay people are not happy with what liberals and militant gays are doing...I don't know how to make it any clearer then that...If you don't believe me ask jallman........

Because that was the "Feel Good do it" start for liberals and you were not born..........

Stace said:
1) Looks like you're the one that can't read. I didn't say your OPINION was based on what that person said....I said don't make blanket statements based upon what one person has said.

2) Uh, sorry, if you somehow read some "emotional defensiveness" in there, I'd love to know where, because, well, you know, I'm the one that wrote the post, and I wasn't being emotional OR defensive. I was merely making a statement, refuting your own statement.

3) No, they're not just called agnostics. There are also Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Wiccans, Mormons.....the list goes on and on. I said people that aren't atheist and that aren't Christian.....there are many more groups than just agnostics that don't fall into those two categories.

4) And don't assume that being agnostic puts someone closer to Christianity. I'm agnostic, and I don't believe in the Christian God or Jesus.

5) We're not debating why someone is agnostic. This whole thing stems from marriage and divorce rates, and someone pointing out that Christians have higher divorce rates.

6) You didn't know that stuff about cohabitation? They've been doing studies on that for years. Heck, Cosmopolitan does a story on it every few months.....

1) This is a direct quote of yours from page 25:

"Please don't make blanket statements when you can't really back it up with anything mroe than what one person you know said."

You DID portray me as trying to use the quote as evidence. I made it perfectly clear that I was saying it represented my experiences with secularists.

2):lol: That was a REALLY unnecessarily defensive way to claim you are not defensive. And yes, it was very emotional of you to act like I was trying to make a case out of one quote instead of merely using it to illustrate, like I said.

3) And none of this has any bearing on my point that OF COURSE religious people are going to have more divorces, they outnumber Atheists big time. Hindu, Buddhist, Christians, whatever.

4) This doesn't require any assumption, just logic. Agnostics almost always beleive in some kind of higher power. This WOULD logically put them closer to Christians than Atheists.

5) You are right. We are getting off track. The point originally was that the stats are skewed because there are far more theists than atheists.

6) I guess I'm not cool enough to have already known that, your right. But the part that matters here is that this indicates that Christians DO have better marriages, being that they (and other RELIGIOUS people) are usually the only ones who wait to live together until they get married-which apparently works better.

And the Christians who get most of the divorces are visitors; guests; temporary; born again Christians who are usually only there for the moment because their lives are in the dumps. The real Christians who aren't just a flash in the pan don't come close to the number of divorces that secular people have.

Last edited:
George_Washington said:
I would just like to see Navy Pride on the TV show, Will & Grace. That would be hilarious...:rofl

Never heard of it..........I am more of a NYPD Blue kind of TV guy.......

George, I thought you were on our side....:confused::shock:

The lefties winning you over?:roll:

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:

NP, I would REALLY like to see you go just one week without using the word liberal, lefty, or any other such term. :mrgreen:

Navy Pride said:

Naw, I'm just kidding NP. I do respect you. But I just don't have quite the same views on gays that you do, despite being somewhat conservative.

Stace said:
NP, I would REALLY like to see you go just one week without using the word liberal, lefty, or any other such term. :mrgreen:

If you tell me you love conservatives I will..;) Why can't you be a liberal like aps? why are you so angry?

Sorry, this is a little off topic, but I like your avatar and sig, Washington!

I am not altogether liberal, either, as you are not altogether conservative, from some points of view.

Duke

Navy Pride said:
If you tell me you love conservatives I will..;) Why can't you be a liberal like aps? why are you so angry?

I love cnredd :2razz:

What do you mean, why can't I be a liberal like aps? I think that she and I are a lot alike, actually. I have no hatred nor anger towards most conservatives, I would just like to see you go one week without throwing around the word liberal....it really doesn't add anything to your debates, there's no need to always resort to partisanship, and I know you're smarter than that, so prove me right!

Stace said:
I love cnredd :2razz:

What do you mean, why can't I be a liberal like aps? I think that she and I are a lot alike, actually. I have no hatred nor anger towards most conservatives, I would just like to see you go one week without throwing around the word liberal....it really doesn't add anything to your debates, there's no need to always resort to partisanship, and I know you're smarter than that, so prove me right!

The difference between you and aps is your always angry she is not.......

Navy Pride said:

Where do you get that I am always angry? Most other people around here find me quite friendly and happy......

Navy Pride said:

I don't think I have ever seen Stace angry.......................

Duke

Duke said:
I don't think I have ever seen Stace angry.......................

Duke

Thank you, Duke! I'm sure I can come across as a bit angry at some times, but I do try to confine that to the basement.....:mrgreen: Either that, or someone is mistaking my sarcasm for anger.....

Pissed, perhaps, but truly angry, no.

Duke

Duke said:
Pissed, perhaps, but truly angry, no.

Duke

Trust me, y'all would know it if I were TRULY angry......:lol:

Deegan said:
I believe I do, yes. Do you have a problem with that, or is it just because I said it?:confused:

The facts are these, we have made homosexuality a bad word, and now some are out to prove this wrong, and they use these studies to do so. Their motivations are admirable, but misguided. They use studies of people who have already made their choice, and this in no way can be used to label people who have yet to make their choices, nor should it. We have just decided, or your scientist have, that these people have their place, and that they should just accept it, and not question it any further, "you're gay, just accept it, it's in your DNA" That is just a ridiculous assumption, and a dangerous one, especially for those who have yet to decide!

Why in the world would I have a problem with it because you say it?

You make a person's sexuality sound like a conscious choice. Tell me, when did you sit down and decide which team you were going to bat for?

You are more than entitled to your opinion. If you believe at some magic age people decide what gender they are attracted to, you can continue thinking it. However, you would be hard pressed to find many people who were able to say they chose.

Busta said:
One of my sisters chose to be gay due to abuse.

Some people are born with a degree of Gender Identity Disorder.

One was a choice, one was not.

A question, if I may. Your sister sat down and said to herself "You know, I am attracted to guys, but I think I am going to start going for girls now."? I agree that not all homosexuals are that way because of genetics, that an amount may be due to environment. But it is as little a choice for the environment people as it is the people who are genetically inclined.

And homosexuality is not the same thing as Gender Identity Disorder. Most homosexuals are fully aware of what gender they are and are comfortable with it.

Navy Pride said:
The point I am trying to make to you is all gay people are not happy with what liberals and militant gays are doing...I don't know how to make it any clearer then that...If you don't believe me ask jallman........

Because that was the "Feel Good do it" start for liberals and you were not born..........

And what exactly are they unhappy that the liberals and "militant" gays are doing?

Back
Top Bottom