• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Jesus Would Have Hated Most Modern Day Religion

Because YOU are the one who keeps arguing that He told us all to go sell what we have and give it to the poor. He did not. He told the rich young ruler that, not the entire crowd. One thing Christians, which clearly you are not, learn is that God's test of faith for each of us is different. For one person God's test might be that of patience, for another health issues, for another it might be morality. Jesus only told that ONE PERSON to get rid of his wealth and follow him. If you read the Bible, you will see that God and Jesus tests us all in a way that is most appropriate for us as individuals.

Non Christians simply have no depth of understanding and are hell bent on taking things out of context and preaching to Christians.

no i did not......i told you that was posed to me by the person who started the OP.

Another very pertinent story to this discussion is in John 5:

John 5

King James Version (KJV)

5 After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.

3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.

4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.

5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.

6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?

7 The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.

8 Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.

9 And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.

10 The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.

11 He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.

12 Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk?

13 And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.

14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

The lame may was lying waiting to get into the pool at Bethesda where he would be healed should the legendary angel come down, but people were getting in front of him and feeling sorry for himself on that account. Along comes Jesus. Did he say, 'forget this ****, go live off the rich it is their duty to support you?' Oh HELL no. He said, 'take up your bed and walk.'

And then Jesus was accused of a crime - working on the Sabbath- because he told the man to get up.

A lot of 'the poor' in this country need to get off their butts. And some of the lame as well. Many do, though. If you notice there will be plenty of people who could well be sitting at home doing nothing working in various places and glad to have the job. Those are the ones who understand Jesus' teachings. Not 'the poor' who think 'the rich' are supposed to feed them cradle to grave.

Last edited:
Jesus taught in parables and mysteries. He knew that not everyone would be able to hear their message. Here is another interesting passage:

Mark 4

King James Version (KJV)

4 And he began again to teach by the sea side: and there was gathered unto him a great multitude, so that he entered into a ship, and sat in the sea; and the whole multitude was by the sea on the land.

2 And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

3 Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow:

4 And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.

5 And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth:

6 But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.

7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.

8 And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.

9 And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Jesus taught in parables and mysteries. But only those in tune to His purpose were willing to hear it.

Not everyone has ears to hear and it is clear that many on forums do not. Many on here , like calamity whose name is well chosen, are like the Pharisees of old, taking things out of context, twisting, and trying to make Christians into spiritual criminal just as they make Jesus into an actual criminal in His day.

Too bad they don't enter into serious study of the Bible for the purpose of actually learning the lessons it has for them.

I don't understand the article's point. In Xtian theology, Jesus ignoring some OT laws and changing other ("You have heard x, but I say y") is used to show Jesus' claim to be the son of god. Who else could change OT laws but the son of god? He doesn't therefore hate all religions based on the bible. He fulfilled the law (the OT) and abrogated mosaic law. Xtians who still preach mosaic law (leviticus, etc) are ignorant of their own theology. And the author of this article, like many atheists, are ignorant of Xtian theology.

Whenever an atheist talks religion you can tell how confused they are. First off Jesus does not hate. Secondly Jesus came here to bring the new testament not uphold the old testament.

Then why do so-called Christians preach from the Old Testament all the time? You know, like when they are slamming homosexuals or discussing premarital sex?

would you talk about the triple crown if you didn't believe horses exist?

It's not like religion doesn't exist. And, in this country, Christian religion carries a big stick, especially in rural America, particularly in the South.

I don't understand the article's point. In Xtian theology, Jesus ignoring some OT laws and changing other ("You have heard x, but I say y") is used to show Jesus' claim to be the son of god. Who else could change OT laws but the son of god? He doesn't therefore hate all religions based on the bible. He fulfilled the law (the OT) and abrogated mosaic law. Xtians who still preach mosaic law (leviticus, etc) are ignorant of their own theology. And the author of this article, like many atheists, are ignorant of Xtian theology.
Meh...Jesus preached love thy neighbor as thyself. He also said, "as you do the the least of thee, you do to me." Christians today, the bulk of them who are watching Fox Jews and listening to Rush Limbaugh, at least, take a dump on the least of thee every day.

would you talk about the triple crown if you didn't believe horses exist?

Do we talk about Quidditch even if we don't believe the wizarding world of Harry Potter exists? Do we talk about Yoda or the Emperor (Palpatine) even if we don't believe that the world of Star Wars exists/existed? We discuss many things without actually believing they exist. People discuss vampires, werewolves, ghosts, angels, zombies, and many other "creatures" without ever believing in their existence. Heck, we even have some political philosophy that compares liberals and conservatives to vampires and zombies.

6 Mind-Blowing Ways Zombies and Vampires Explain America | Cracked.com

Meh...Jesus preached love thy neighbor as thyself. He also said, "as you do the the least of thee, you do to me." Christians today, the bulk of them who are watching Fox Jews and listening to Rush Limbaugh, at least, take a dump on the least of thee every day.
Fox Jews??

Is God really dead for you?

I don't know. Probably. I certainly don't believe that there is a god around doing anything good, bad or indifferent right now. So, either there never was one of he's dead.

There's big money in God.

These scores of christians are wrong. The teaching of most mainstream christian religions properly frame the OT and its relation to the NT. Only those Christians that believe in a literal interpretation of the bible or are uninformed of their own religions teachings quote leviticus and other books as law. This is a very small minority of Christians - and given there's something like 2 billion christians in the world, you're going to get some bottom-dwellers. Same as atheism but on a smaller scale.

Tell your "Leviticus is not law" to the scores of Christians who constantly make use of it to condemn those they do not like. Your ignorance of atheists leeks right thru your screen as well. I have read the bible. Many have, it being forced on us as kids by a country full of raving loonies who find it an acceptable code of ethics in the modern world and replacement for doing actual parenting.

Talking of hate, that is all i experienced from Christians growing up, so again, you might want to spend more time lecturing those who manage to (supposedly) so misrepresent your faith and turn so many away from it.

That seems like an overly ambitious interpretation, especially since in following verses he talks about ALL men. The passage seems very straightforward.

Jesus does not require Christians to 'give up their goods.' Read Mark 10. You will see that his instruction to the rich young ruler was merely an illustration to the group of how difficult it is for people to choose between riches on earth an riches in heaven. But there are many many very generous rich people who support many charitable causes..

Clearly you don't understand the one I posted form I Timothy which says that anyone who does not support his own family is WORSE than an infidel. That is an expectation that Christians will work, acquire worldly goods, and use them to care for their own families.

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.” – Ecclesiastes 10:2

And if Jesus was on earth today he sure wouldn't be watching PMSNBC.

Was Jesus a liberal? « The Righter Report

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.” – Ecclesiastes 10:2

And if Jesus was on earth today he sure wouldn't be watching PMSNBC.

Was Jesus a liberal? « The Righter Report
Ecc 10:5
5 There is an evil that I have seen under the sun, as it were an error proceeding from the ruler: 6 folly is set in many high places, and the rich sit in a low place. 7 I have seen slaves on horses, and princes walking on the ground like slaves.
In other words,

Jesus is more like Rachael Maddow than Bill O'Reily. I know.

Last edited:
These scores of christians are wrong. The teaching of most mainstream christian religions properly frame the OT and its relation to the NT. Only those Christians that believe in a literal interpretation of the bible or are uninformed of their own religions teachings quote leviticus and other books as law. This is a very small minority of Christians - and given there's something like 2 billion christians in the world, you're going to get some bottom-dwellers. Same as atheism but on a smaller scale.

Then how come i hear it so frequently, even from senators? How'd they get elected if they're bottom dwellers? I think it's more like literal interpretation represents whole states rather accurately. To me, the bottom dwellers are like the fred phelps clan and granted, there's few of them.

What i really don't get is driving thru a small town and there's like 5 churches of 5 different denominations. Shouldn't a religion be more cohesive and less ambiguous than this?

You hear it so frequently because A) They're located mostly in the US and loud and B) those are who the media focus on. I remember CNN doing a show on the 3 major religions and for Xtianity they focused on southern baptists. Not a single word about catholicism or mormonism. CNN is HQ'ed in Atlanta so that may be part of the reason.

Different denominations occur when there is disagreement on scripture and doctrine. Its true that protestants split more often than cells. There currently seems to be another split coming within the Presbyterians over gay marriage. It really should be kind of embarrassing for protestants.

Then how come i hear it so frequently, even from senators? How'd they get elected if they're bottom dwellers? I think it's more like literal interpretation represents whole states rather accurately. To me, the bottom dwellers are like the fred phelps clan and granted, there's few of them.

What i really don't get is driving thru a small town and there's like 5 churches of 5 different denominations. Shouldn't a religion be more cohesive and less ambiguous than this?

Though technically a religious discussion, I suspect the rules in there would result in me receiving an infraction just for posting this. Nonetheless, assuming there really was a Jesus (I know, but suspend disbelief for just a second), I totally believe what Mr Schaeffer says here. How about you?

Jesus certainly was no bible thumper. Hence, bible thumpers are not really Christians. Right?

Actually, Jesus quoted from the scriptures frequently (probably the Septuagint) and obviously believed it. Atheists should refrain from talking about things they know nothing about.

IMO, if Jesus exists up in heaven, he would probably condemn most Christians to hell. Clearly, it seems to me He has no choice because they do not really believe in Him, which is the sole requirement for passage through heaven's gates. Correct?.

Yeah, Christ loves everybody except his own. That makes perfect sense.

Well, since there was no Bible at the time, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Jesus was not a Bible thumper. ;)

The complete OT was around at the time.

Whenever an atheist talks religion you can tell how confused they are. First off Jesus does not hate. Secondly Jesus came here to bring the new testament not uphold the old testament.

The path to salvation is found in both the old and new testaments.

Back
Top Bottom