• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Jesus Would Have Hated Most Modern Day Religion

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Though technically a religious discussion, I suspect the rules in there would result in me receiving an infraction just for posting this. Nonetheless, assuming there really was a Jesus (I know, but suspend disbelief for just a second), I totally believe what Mr Schaeffer says here. How about you?

A leper came to Jesus and said, “Lord, if you choose, you can make me clean.” If Jesus had been a good religious Jew, he would have said, “Be healed,” and just walked away. Instead, he stretched out his hand and touched the leper, saying, “I do choose. Be made clean,” even though he was breaking the specific rules of Leviticus. Two chapters teach that anyone touching a person with leprosy is contaminated.

Jesus certainly was not a “Bible believer,”. . .

Jesus believed in God rather than in a book about God. The message of Jesus’ life is an intervention in and an acceleration of the evolution of empathy. Consider this story from the book of Matthew: “A woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak. She said to herself, ‘If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.’ Jesus turned and saw her. ‘Take heart, daughter,’ he said, ‘your faith has healed you.’ And the woman was healed at that moment.”

Jesus recognized a bleeding woman touching him as a sign of her faith. By complimenting rather than rebuking her, Jesus ignored another of his scripture’s rules:

Why Jesus Would Have Hated Most Modern Day Religion | Alternet

Jesus certainly was no bible thumper. Hence, bible thumpers are not really Christians. Right?

IMO, if Jesus exists up in heaven, he would probably condemn most Christians to hell. Clearly, it seems to me He has no choice because they do not really believe in Him, which is the sole requirement for passage through heaven's gates. Correct?.

Though technically a religious discussion, I suspect the rules in there would result in me receiving an infraction just for posting this. Nonetheless, assuming there really was a Jesus (I know, but suspend disbelief for just a second), I totally believe what Mr Schaeffer says here. How about you?

Jesus certainly was no bible thumper. Hence, bible thumpers are not really Christians. Right?

How could Jesus thump a book that did not yet exist?

That's like the chicken/egg game.

Every Christian will state every other Christian is not Christian....I guess we could simply say there are no Christians according to Christians.

How could Jesus thump a book that did not yet exist?

That's like the chicken/egg game.

Every Christian will state every other Christian is not Christian....I guess we could simply say there are no Christians according to Christians.
The Old Testament was there at Jesus's time. I think they called it the Torah.

Well, since there was no Bible at the time, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Jesus was not a Bible thumper. ;)

The Old Testament was there at Jesus's time. I think they called it the Torah.

But....NO Christian reads the Torah, it's blasphemy.

God did not write the Torah, he only wrote the Bible(s)....ask anyone.

Well except a Jew, Hindu, Muslim, Mormon, Jehovah, Buddhist....etc.....those guys are all liars and sinners who will burn in the fires of hell.

But....NO Christian reads the Torah, it's blasphemy.

God did not write the Torah, he only wrote the Bible(s)....ask anyone.

Well except a Jew, Hindu, Muslim, Mormon, Jehovah, Buddhist....etc.....those guys are all liars and sinners who will burn in the fires of hell.
Of course. That's because we have a loving God.

Whenever an atheist talks religion you can tell how confused they are. First off Jesus does not hate. Secondly Jesus came here to bring the new testament not uphold the old testament.

Whenever an atheist talks religion you can tell how confused they are. First off Jesus does not hate. Secondly Jesus came here to bring the new testament not uphold the old testament.

Then why do so-called Christians preach from the Old Testament all the time? You know, like when they are slamming homosexuals or discussing premarital sex?

"Turn the other cheek" New testament

"Eye for an eye" old testament.

Get it now?:)
Uh...I suspect you don't.

Over and over throughout His ministry, Jesus confirmed the Old Testament. It was His primary source. What has been shown here is just the tip of the iceberg.

Next ask yourself these fundamental questions: If Christ’s mission during His First Coming was to do away with the Law and the dusty, ancient Old Testament, why did He quote it so often?

Why Should You Read the Old Testament?

You can always find a loon or two but 99% of Christians follow the new testament.That is alot of what separates Jews and Christians, Jews still follow the old testament.

Yep Christ followed and talked about the old testament because that is what had existed. The new testament hadn't been written yet.
Also Christ was upholding the law because that was part of the deal. In order to fulfill the old law he had to uphold the old law and he did so perfectly.

at the same time he was releasing people from the old law as he fulfilled it.

You can always find a loon or two but 99% of Christians follow the new testament.That is alot of what separates Jews and Christians, Jews still follow the old testament.
Only 1% of Christians preach against gays? :roll:

Wait....again, how could Jesus "bring" something yet to exist?

Basically, a bunch of guys decided to write down what they thought he meant and a bunch more guys decided to change it until it said what they wanted it to say....then a bunch more guys decided to pick the parts they liked and change it up again.....rinse and repeat.

Talk about confusing.

Only 1% of Christians preach against gays? :roll:

Luke 24:44-49;

"Then He said to them, ‘These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.’ And He opened their understanding that they might comprehend the Scriptures.

The NT is an affirmation of the OT.

Jesus said:

" Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you - Moses, in whom you trust. For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?"

Yep Christ followed and talked about the old testament because that is what had existed. The new testament hadn't been written yet.
Also Christ was upholding the law because that was part of the deal. In order to fulfill the old law he had to uphold the old law and he did so perfectly.

at the same time he was releasing people from the old law as he fulfilled it.

I may be misunderstanding, but I am under the impression that the old testament, in the form that we currently recognize it, didn't exist back then either. there were only unorganized random stories which differed from area to area in verbage and meaning and there was little attempt to standardize it until at least 900 AD.

its very likely that Jesus never had access to the same bible versions or even verses that we do today.

Because someone may get a part of their faith incorrect, you say they are not of that faith. Who is and who is not a Christian is for Jesus to say...not you.

The selective application of this one story is the usual sewage on **** that come out of Christian haters. As much as I deplore those who want to adhere to a strict and legalistic application of the Bible no one can say what is their faith. Leviticus is not law, by the way. You may want to do some further investigating about that book and what Jews say of it, who wrote it, when and why. Jesus broke no law. Please have a read of Leviticus and the order of study, be at least familiar with the what the book is and what it was intended as so you won't appear to be so utterly ignorant.

Meanwhile, look up something called the Apostles Creed.

It is not what's in the Bible that makes a Christian, but what's in his heart...and not you, not me, not anyone can say that...and that, sir, you would have known is the base of the teachings of Jesus, had you not let your hatred dictate what you think.

It amuses me that Christian haters and atheists never actually read the Bible, take the time to actually study the whole message, but chose to spin the meanings of select, out-of-context passages. I believe it is because they are afraid of finding what they hated is actually true.

Last edited:
I may be misunderstanding, but I am under the impression that the old testament, in the form that we currently recognize it, didn't exist back then either. there were only unorganized random stories which differed from area to area in verbage and meaning and there was little attempt to standardize it until at least 900 AD.

its very likely that Jesus never had access to the same bible versions or even verses that we do today.

Yes all good jewish boys had the torah memorized it was part of their education. The priests and sanhedrian had all of the scrolls from the prophets in their care and careful aim was taken to preserve them in the temple.

Christ would have had access to the judges the psalms isaiah etc ... as he quoted them often.
it wasn't as organized or probably put into specific books like it is but he would have had access to them.

900ad started the effort to set down the cannon of the church. this took year and years of research and examination.
It was at these councils that some of the greatest theological minds and people that would have been closer to the source than others began to put the bible into place.

The other reason for the standarization is that there were a lot of false documents being passed around as legit.

Last edited:

That Alternet link is trash.

It amuses me that Christian haters and atheists never actually read the Bible, take the time to actually study the whole message, but chose to spin the meanings of select, out-of-context passages. I believe it is because they are afraid of finding what they hated is actually true.

Why does that surprise you, when self proclaimed Christians do the same thing. I can't tell you how many times someone has justified their actions or thoughts based upon just one passage of the bible, that they looked up in order to rationalize their poor behavior. I actually had an employee once justify him not returning to work from his lunch break by a particular bible passage.

Back
Top Bottom