• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why I'm Stoked on DeBlasio's campaign (1 Viewer)

They said something like that about Ron Paul. Remember him? Half loaf, cold oats, and certainly not as spontaneous with the necessary snark like so many of our more charismatic candidates. Sadly, it wasn't he who failed, it was us who failed to listen to a man who had so much to say, so much wisdom. Does anyone wonder what would be if he ever made it to the WH?

I don't, primarily because the fact that he legitimately believes in the gold standard as good policy and sound economics makes it terrifying to think about. Ron Paul had some really good ideas, and some really, really awful ones.

Woulda been interesting to have a Ron Paul 2008 win, that's for sure.

Do you have time for a spin? What would be different?
I'll make the first guess. The right wouldn't have countered Obama with a Trump.

Do you have time for a spin? What would be different?
I'll make the first guess. The right wouldn't have countered Obama with a Trump.

Obama might be president right now xD

I don't, primarily because the fact that he legitimately believes in the gold standard as good policy and sound economics makes it terrifying to think about. Ron Paul had some really good ideas, and some really, really awful ones.

That sums up most candidates and most presidents, no?

Most yes, but there are options at present which don't have massive, glaring issues; at least not in my view.

Having said that, I definitely would have preferred Ron Paul to Trump and Bush Jr.

Most yes, but there are options at present which don't have massive, glaring issues; at least not in my view.

Having said that, I definitely would have preferred Ron Paul to Trump and Bush Jr.
now we are getting somewhere.

The difference with Ron Paul is he actually believes in his principles. The rest of the Republicans can be bought off to abandon them.

He might have (pushed to) prosecute the bankers after the crash. He may have withdrawn damn near all our troops from the ME and Afghanistan. He may have even tried to cut the military. He's such an outlier for Republican politics, it's hard to say what would have happened.

Last edited:
The difference with Ron Paul is he actually believes in his principles. The rest of the Republicans can be bought off to abandon them.

He might have (pushed to) prosecute the bankers after the crash. He may have withdrawn damn near all our troops from the ME and Afghanistan. He may have even tried to cut the military. He's such an outlier for Republican politics, it's hard to say what would have happened.

My guess is that we would really have drained the swamp years ago, but alas, principled people must not apply. Isn't that sad?

yeah... ****ing Biden and his whole philosophy of how when trump is gone his good 'ol republican friends will somehow gain their sanity again. Such horse****. GOP lost their minds before trump came aboard under Obama and then got worse under trump. Thinking these GOP asshats will ever become reasonable again is absurd. IN a time where the GOP is in eternal hard-ball mode, Biden is promising more democratic wiffle ball playing.

Fool. It's an established fact that if you kill the Night King his white walkers will fall.

To be clear, I'm being sarcastic and I completely agree with you.

My guess is that we would really have drained the swamp years ago, but alas, principled people must not apply. Isn't that sad?

The only way to actually do that on any substantive/lasting basis is get money out of politics and get a firm handle on lobbying.

And the only way to do that is via state convention or a congressional supermajority to change the Constitution thanks to the absurd if not patently retarded ruling and precedent set by the SCOTUS in Buckley v Valeo 1976 equating money to political speech, and protecting political expenditure as such.

TBH Ron Paul if anything would have made the situation much worse (this is one of his really, really bad positions I mentioned):

Political positions of Ron Paul - Wikipedia

yeah... ****ing Biden and his whole philosophy of how when trump is gone his good 'ol republican friends will somehow gain their sanity again. Such horse****. GOP lost their minds before trump came aboard under Obama and then got worse under trump. Thinking these GOP asshats will ever become reasonable again is absurd. IN a time where the GOP is in eternal hard-ball mode, Biden is promising more democratic wiffle ball playing.

But he is talking about politicians. They can turn their flag to the wind on no time at all, depending from where the wind blows. Why do you think his statement is so far fetched?
As far as GOP (voters, I assume) lost their minds, it may be because their were ridiculed, and their opinions dismissed by elites who told them that only they knew what is good for them. Don't count out the commoners.

Bernie is still around. He doesn't take corporate pac money and can't be bought.

Bernie is still around. He doesn't take corporate pac money and can't be bought.

He always struck me as one with integrity, sincerity. But, his associations worry me. The extreme worries me. On both sides.

He always struck me as one with integrity, sincerity. But, his associations worry me. The extreme worries me. On both sides.

Bernie stands for the working class, like the Democratic Party used to, that is his defining attribute.

What are some of the extreme positions that Bernie holds that worry you?

Bernie stands for the working class, like the Democratic Party used to, that is his defining attribute.

What are some of the extreme positions that Bernie holds that worry you?

While around for a while, nutcases like Cortez, and somewhat in the corner, suck ups like Gillibrand.

While around for a while, nutcases like Cortez, and somewhat in the corner, suck ups like Gillibrand.

So, the #1 thing you dislike about Bernie Sanders is AOC?

So, the #1 thing you dislike about Bernie Sanders is AOC?

I love integrity. I hate extremists and stupidity and grandstanding and hypocrisy. Most of all, partisan nonsense.
Gotta go, sorry. Husband beckons with something on TV.

I love integrity. I hate extremists and stupidity and grandstanding and hypocrisy. Most of all, partisan nonsense.
Gotta go, sorry. Husband beckons with something on TV.

WEll, you'll recall Bernie is no partisan, considering he was an independent most of his political career.

But he is talking about politicians. They can turn their flag to the wind on no time at all, depending from where the wind blows. Why do you think his statement is so far fetched?
As far as GOP (voters, I assume) lost their minds, it may be because their were ridiculed, and their opinions dismissed by elites who told them that only they knew what is good for them. Don't count out the commoners.

I'm far from elitist. And I agree that there has been a lot of ridicule. I grew up in the bible belt rural south Georgia. I know how they feel. Disrespected. Now they have a huge chip on their shoulder to the size where thinking clearly for what's best has been supplanted by revenge and thirst for librul tears. It's completely nuts.

I mean I understand that when you ask someone to talk like they're dumb, they immediately pull out a Southern drawl. Which is bull**** and that pisses off even me. And I get that. But the levels the right are going to now for this apparent revenge is beyond the pale. They will throw their own country in the trash can before even considering brushing that chip off their shoulder.

I'm far from elitist. And I agree that there has been a lot of ridicule. I grew up in the bible belt rural south Georgia. I know how they feel. Disrespected. Now they have a huge chip on their shoulder to the size where thinking clearly for what's best has been supplanted by revenge and thirst for librul tears. It's completely nuts.

I mean I understand that when you ask someone to talk like they're dumb, they immediately pull out a Southern drawl. Which is bull**** and that pisses off even me. And I get that. But the levels the right are going to now for this apparent revenge is beyond the pale. They will throw their own country in the trash can before even considering brushing that chip off their shoulder.

Blacks were similar right after Obama won his first term. Walking taller, feeling heard. Now if we just find a good middle ground for all, we'd accomplish some great things.

Where the rubber meets the road: Can he score some campaign contributions? It isn't a matter if he can win, but how much money can he raise and where is that money going to be funneled.

I agree with you there. It's got to be about scoring some free money. Why else would anyone with less than zero chance attempt to run? That's got to be the angle.

Bill DeBlasio jumped in the race for the Dem nomination. I'm actually kind of stoked on this for perverse reasons.

He's going to siphon votes from Biden and hopefully dilute the centrist and status quo vote down.

I'm all for status quo candidates hopping in this one, come on in and join the party!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 people have qualified to run so the first debate will be held on two separate nights. In total, there will be 12 Democratic debates. Six of the 12 debates will take place in 2019 and six in 2020.

In order to qualify for the September and October debates, the DNC requires candidates to meet polling and grassroots funding criteria, and have doubled the thresholds: a candidate must receive 2% or more support in at least four national polls and candidates must have received donations from at least 130,000 unique donors over the course of the election cycle, with a minimum of 400 unique donors per state in at least 20 states.

The field of candidates will quickly dwindle after the first two debates. After that comes state conventions, the caucuses and the primary.

True, and I mentioned Klobuchar earlier in a post. Realistic is a good word. You are right, that is not what people want. You have heard my now about the 2 candidates being booed for giving their honest opinion (Delaney and Hickenloper) That doesn't seem to sit well, although they might have a more receptive audience elsewhere.
May be we can find someone else before time?
Sadly, you are right in the bolded. I realize we Americans are often an optimistic people, that respond to positive messages. But as of late, it seems many of us want to hear something that makes us happy, rather than the hard truths of reality. I think this is reflected in what I see as a reality-show Presidency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom