• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why compromise is stupid

Australia is a really good example. There was a mass shooting. They implemented laws to reduce gun violence, and that's what happened.

Actually Australia is a good example but not the way you see it. If you look at international stats you'll see murder was dropping internationally and was already declining in Australia but it actually went up in 1999 and the decline was substantially slower compared to the international rate in this same time period. In fact the murder rate went down slower for the rest of the 1990's after the 1996 ban than it did in the United States!

The British version was semi-auto only (and built to British imperial measurements so parts weren't inter-changeable).

The rifle was designed to fire a smaller round, like the German 7.92mm Kurz but the USA made all of NATO adopt the 7.62x51mm.

I've seen it said that the FN should have been the M-14 rifle but the trials were rigged.

It's a matter of record; American ego at work.

So you compromise and give in, and more "common sense" gun control laws are passed. Afterwards:

If gun violence goes up or remains the same, that's evidence that still more gun control laws are needed.

If gun violence goes down, that's evidence that gun control works - hence more gun control laws are needed to reduce gun violence further.

Compromising on gun rights is foolish. Give a filthy leftist an inch, and he'll take a mile and a half every time.

It is stupid, but we can't be a democracy without it. Its really democracy that worries you. Most people want guns regulated.

It is stupid, but we can't be a democracy without it. Its really democracy that worries you. Most people want guns regulated.

most people haven't a clue what the laws concerning guns are or how effective (or not effective those laws are) in controlling crime.

And yet the he criminals still have guns.

Guns are mostly used for suicides, with homicides, the assailant usually knows the victim.

In other words, the criminals are us.

Guns are mostly used for suicides, with homicides, the assailant usually knows the victim.

In other words, the criminals are us.

Indeed.

Two criminals can't know each other?

Pusher X and Pusher Y can't have a beef over a street corner?

Thief X and the if Y can't fight over the loot?

I have thousands upon thousands of rounds of automatic weapons experience. Several reasons including I once was general counsel for a class III dealer, a Title II Manufacturer and I was good friends with the FBI firearms instructor when I worked with him. SO I could shoot most of the stuff people could buy including a M2 BMG that the Title II manufacturer had built from a "registered side plate""

and you are right about effectiveness.

I don't think fireworks should be banned until they reach a certain destructive level-and those should be regulated to those who hold fireworks licenses. stuff like bottle rockets etc should not be, but those who harm others with them should be prosecuted.

The reason I haven't been interested in fully automatic weapons is that their chambers are usually oversized just enough to prevent jamming, but it also makes the brass fired in them unsuitable for reloading. The exception being the .223 perhaps.

The reason I haven't been interested in fully automatic weapons is that their chambers are usually oversized just enough to prevent jamming, but it also makes the brass fired in them unsuitable for reloading. The exception being the .223 perhaps.

???

Many semi automatic guns are based on a weapon that is fully automatic.

In fact I think I'd go as so far as say MOST semiautomatic guns are based on fully automatic guns, certainly since WWII.

I use the new Lee die which "undersizes" 9mm brass and that solves that problem when I run reloads out of my CTS CZ custom rig.

Actually Australia is a good example but not the way you see it. If you look at international stats you'll see murder was dropping internationally and was already declining in Australia but it actually went up in 1999 and the decline was substantially slower compared to the international rate in this same time period. In fact the murder rate went down slower for the rest of the 1990's after the 1996 ban than it did in the United States!

It was a response to a mass shooting, not the murder rate.

Gun control can only be a half measure unless the 2nd amendment is repealed and guns are banned.

If mass shootings then go up, you will have a point. So far they have gone down in countries that have banned guns.

Um, except that the constitution gives congress no legislative authority to ban guns.

So, there's that...

So you compromise and give in, and more "common sense" gun control laws are passed. Afterwards:

If gun violence goes up or remains the same, that's evidence that still more gun control laws are needed.

If gun violence goes down, that's evidence that gun control works - hence more gun control laws are needed to reduce gun violence further.

Compromising on gun rights is foolish. Give a filthy leftist an inch, and he'll take a mile and a half every time.

Compromise in politics is a good thing. That said, I agree; law abiding gun-owners and Second Amendment supporters have given an inch and the anti-gun Left has taken a mile.

On this particular issue, I agree: NO MORE COMPROMISES. The anti-gun Left cannot be trusted.

That's not the point though, they can be and they'd make a hell of a choice for a mass shooter.

Weren't AK-47 clones used in the North Hollywood bank raid ?
Guess you overlooked the Bushmaster but I guess back then they were no big deal. With the cops though.
" Frustrated, several officers commandeered AR15s from a nearby gun store in order to better arm themselves." AR15s to the rescue. Until more showed up with a SWAT team.

Guess you overlooked the Bushmaster but I guess back then they were no big deal. With the cops though.
" Frustrated, several officers commandeered AR15s from a nearby gun store in order to better arm themselves." AR15s to the rescue. Until more showed up with a SWAT team.

Didn't one officer take out one of the mopes with a deer rifle that went right through the body armor?

Back
Top Bottom