• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WHO: Healthy people should wear masks only if caring for coronavirus patients

This makes absolutely no sense to me. The coronavirus patient is already infected - they don't need to be protected. And we know the caretaker wearing the mask is NOT protected. Masks only help protect the other guy.

Couldn't the caretaker carry other germs that might complicate the patient's illness further since a COVID-19 patient's immune system is compromised?

Trump has disassociated us from WHO.
Since when did Trump follow the WHO in the first place? Fortunately for Ohio, DeWine outright ignored Trump and did the right thing.

Almost on cue:

It is your opinion the faults of Trump should not be pointed-out. It is the opinion of myself and others that those faults should be pointed-out, including repeated faults. You want to inhibit free speech and you favor supporting the response to coronavirus that would best lead to a reduction in cases and deaths while also getting our economy back on track. I and others want otherwise. Or, do you agree that the faults of a president should made known and discussed/debated or that testing should have been rolled-out more completely and effectively before or at least be done so now?

Why...for posterity? As a "symbol"? Either W.H.O. is the preeminent authority on global health, or they're NOT.

Which one is it?

Why? That should be obvious; for your safety and, more importantly, that of those around you. Do you know if you are infected or not, and if so, how?

I just posted The Who's advice concerning masks.

I don't disagree. But here, we're being given specific instructions by WHO, and you're saying "don't believe it".

You posted incomplete advice by the WHO. I say that because there is the obvious question of what is meant by a “healthy” person. A healthy person cannot transmit the virus. So, it is logical that a healthy person would not need to wear a mask. But at least 1/3rd of positive testing people are asymptomatic and don’t know themselves if they have the virus or by outward observation of others show any sign of any sickness. How do we know we need not wear a mask? There are no specific/complete instructions as to how we know when we are healthy to not need a mask.

Do you think people who may me be contagious but not know it need not wear a mask? If so, then no one need wear a mask. So, do you believe no one need where a mask?

i asked posters in this thread to raise their hand if they were 100% sure that they aren't infected while not having a test.

i got one guy to raise his hand. just one. and he's the guy who predicted something like 10,000 total Americans dead from COVID. total. for the year.

that's just too funny.

And you know this, how, exactly? Do you understand what 'asymptomatic' means? Clearly not, and you could be infectious right now.

there are non-sharp tools. there is a shed. and there there are sticks pretending they're chain saws.

It's a shame NY post did not represent things properly

Who recommended What?

It's the NY Post after all. I pointed out in an earlier post how they didn't accurately represent what the source of their piece was referencing (medical masks). I continued to be surprised that at this stage of the game there's still so much confusion about masks/facial coverings and each one's purpose.

You posted incomplete advice by the WHO.

No I didn't. It's all right there on page 1 of their thread and some people are denying it; You, for instance.

Why? That should be obvious; for your safety and, more importantly, that of those around you. Do you know if you are infected or not, and if so, how?

You didn't read the advice from WHO, did you? Nobody reads anymore, they just wait for Wolfe Blitzer to tell them what to do.

Last edited:
This was an OLD recommendation; the article from Business Insider is dated 4/7/20.

This thread is trying to stir up old controversy

My link was from May 28 NY Post.

I can't help but to point out how ridiculous this sounds; THINK about it for a second. Here's the claim:

1) The cloth mask protects everyone around me by preventing me from infecting others.

2) The cloth mask DOES NOT protect me from contracting the infection from others.

The mask either works both ways, or it doesn't. It may help prevent large droplets, but certainly not from the infection itself.

No... you are wrong.

THINK about this for a second. Actually THINK.

If you have corona virus and don't know it.. and go out in public. Which we now know is very possible. IF you are not wearing a mask.. and you cough or sneeze.. you have a good chance of projecting highly infections (water droplets) out into the public. Which as Manc Skipper points out.. could kill him.

Now.. if Manc Skipper is wearing a mask.. and YOU aren't. When you cough... those droplets could end up on the his face since he is not wearing a face shield. So your infection now enters through the mucosa in the eyes. Or he gets some on his hands and accidently wipes his nose etc.. and thus gets infected.

If you are wearing a mask.. then most if not all of the highly infectious droplets are going to get stopped by the mask.. providing protection to manc skipper.

Now.. that being said. If you and manc skipper are in the same office room together.. spending hours working on a project.. and you are both wearing face coverings.. and you happen to be infectious with covid. Well.. because of the close proximity, the enclosed space and the fact that your masks are not ventilators... well.. Manc skipper is likely to get sick. Because though droplets are the easiest way to get the disease.. prolonged exposure to simply breath vapor that's infected can also infect a person.

So the reality is that the WHO is right..and the posters that say "wear a mask"... they are also right. Because being right depends on the context of when it makes sense to wear a mask.. the type of masks you are talking about etc.

My link was from May 28 NY Post.

yeah but they were reporting old data from Business Insider; restating old news doesn't make it new

No I didn't. It's all right there on page 1 of their thread and some people are denying it; You, for instance.

No. It isn’t all there. If it were “all there” it would be complete. That’s why I said what you posted was incomplete. No, others are not misinformed. You are misinformed. The WHO gave incomplete information. Here is add’l information, hopefully edifying, that will loosen your grip on ignorance.

WHO changes COVID-19 mask guidance: Wear one if you can'''t keep your distance

The reason non-frontline, including caretakers, should wear cloth masks is that there are not enough N95 masks to go around for proper use for hospital workers and it’s better that regular folk not take those masks out of availability from the frontline workers. You can thank your cult leader, Trump, for that.

You’re really fluent in ignorance.

This should settle it. The WHO has changed their recommendations. This is from June 5, yesterday:

"The World Health Organization is now calling for nations to encourage the general public to wear fabric masks in areas where there continues to be intense spread of the novel coronavirus -- and for all health workers and caregivers to wear medical masks throughout their shift while in clinical areas.

These updated recommendations, announced on Friday, are a shift from what WHO previously advised on masks, which was to not wear them if you are not sick or not caring for someone who is sick, in an effort to keep masks available for health workers."

WHO calls on nations to encourage the public to wear fabric face masks where coronavirus is spreading - CNN

You didn't read the advice from WHO, did you? Nobody reads anymore, they just wait for Wolfe Blitzer to tell them what to do.

Or Fox to tell us what we just saw and what to think.

I respect your right to free religious expression to jump off a bridge should the CDC recommend it, but I prefer intelligence.

Nobody is saying that cloth masks are 100% effective but every little bit helps.

Nobody is saying that cloth masks are 100% effective but every little bit helps.
The WHO advises against cloth masks for the general public due to the lung infections they can cause, and a false sense of security leading to reduced hand washing.

This should settle it. The WHO has changed their recommendations. This is from June 5, yesterday:

"The World Health Organization is now calling for nations to encourage the general public to wear fabric masks in areas where there continues to be intense spread of the novel coronavirus -- and for all health workers and caregivers to wear medical masks throughout their shift while in clinical areas.

These updated recommendations, announced on Friday, are a shift from what WHO previously advised on masks, which was to not wear them if you are not sick or not caring for someone who is sick, in an effort to keep masks available for health workers."

WHO calls on nations to encourage the public to wear fabric face masks where coronavirus is spreading - CNN

WHO is basically a political organization advancing their own agenda, and there are more angles to their agenda than public health. Like all bureaucracies, there are bureaucratic agenda too.

WHO is basically a political organization advancing their own agenda, and there are more angles to their agenda than public health. Like all bureaucracies, there are bureaucratic agenda too.
Literally everything has an agenda.

The quantity of misinformation being circulated about masks is great. Some is agenda-driven. It's difficult to come to any conclusion. To that end, here are some statements to consider.

No mask is 100% effective. Most are effective to some degree.

No COVID test is 100% certain. All have some percent of false positives and/or false negatives.

With some rare exceptions, [You've been all by yourself on a boat in mid-ocean for the past 6 months, etc.,] you cannot be 100% certain that you are not infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Again, with some rare exceptions, you cannot be 100% certain that you cannot get or transmit the virus.

Your personal conduct should take the above information into account.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Back
Top Bottom