• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WHO: Healthy people should wear masks only if caring for coronavirus patients

Healthy people should wear masks only if caring for coronavirus patients, WHO says

People have become crazy over the mask issue, and here we're being told we don't need it.

Watch Democrats: "Fake News"

This isn't a Republican/Democrat issue, but how the NY Post chose to contextualize the video they cited. They didn't bother to mention the video they cited was specifically about medical masks and not other varieties. There's plenty of information out there regarding the types of masks and what they do and don't do. The NY Post is misrepresenting the video by leaving out some essential information.

The OP is purposely disinforming of the facts and the WHO did a poor job of explaining the facts.

We can't tell when next to someone if they have the virus. A minimum of 33 to 80% of new cases are asymptomatic. That's why we need to test, test, test. We just don't have all the facts. Trump has done His damndest to avoid testing as best/worst as possible. WE DON’T KNOW WHO IS HEALTHY SO AS TO KNOW WHO DOES NOT NEED TO WEAR A MASK.

The stupidity of the OP is beyond practical comprehension. The major failure of wearing masks is that the US govt has not distributed N95 masks to everybody by use of the DPA to mass produce the masks and distribute them at no cost to everyone everywhere. Not even frontline workers have enough to use properly. The self-made cloth masks are inefficient. As it is, an N95 mask should be replaced after no more than 30 minutes of continued use. Many frontline workers at many hospitals are using them all day long.

The OP is against defending the public against the deadly public health threat of the coronavirus.

I just posted The Who's advice concerning masks.

We just don't have all the facts.

I don't disagree. But here, we're being given specific instructions by WHO, and you're saying "don't believe it".

This isn't a Republican/Democrat issue, but how the NY Post chose to contextualize the video they cited. They didn't bother to mention the video they cited was specifically about medical masks and not other varieties. There's plenty of information out there regarding the types of masks and what they do and don't do. The NY Post is misrepresenting the video by leaving out some essential information.

You're wrong. I even posted an excerpt from the pdf.

Stop spreading lies.

You're wrong. I even posted an excerpt from the pdf.

Stop spreading lies.

I'm simply correcting what the NY Post stated based on their own link. Click on the link in the article, watch the video, and let me know if you think they represented that information accurately. Here's a link to the video they cited. Did you notice they made no mention that the masks referred to in the video were medical masks?

I'm fascinated that for some the use of masks is still this confusing. You can wear certain types of masks to improve your odds of becoming infected (N95 masks), and there are others which prevent you from expelling droplets and potentially infecting others. What's made the second variety important, are the asymptomatic carriers who could be spreading the disease to others through the viruses transmission method.

I'm simply correcting what the NY Post stated based on their own link. Click on the link in the article, watch the video, and let me know if you think they represented that information accurately. Here's a link to the video they cited. Did you notice they made no mention that the masks referred to in the video were medical masks?

What authority do you have to correct the NYPost, WHO, or anyone else? Are you a medical authority?

I linked The Who website, the video, two charts created by The Who, and an excerpt from The Who's pdf guidelines on wearing masks, including in community settings.

Don't twist my words or that of WHO. You are misinformed. Stop spreading disinformation and insisting that The Who website says something different than exactly what it says.

The WHO can't get their **** together. They keep flip flopping. F them.

What authority do you have to correct the NYPost, WHO, or anyone else? Are you a medical authority?

No authority is needed, it's just a matter of reviewing the video from which they cited their information and pointing out the parts they conveniently left out. That's what everyone should be doing regardless from which source you access the news. The NY Post provided a link in the article for two WHO videos: one titled "Can wearing a mask protect you against coronavirus?", and the other "When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus?". They wrote their piece citing the latter, but did not specify the type of mask (despite their source material being about that specifically) and then generalized that it was about all masks.

I linked The Who website, the video, two charts created by The Who, and an excerpt from The Who's pdf guidelines on wearing masks, including in community settings.

Don't twist my words or that of WHO. You are misinformed. Stop spreading disinformation and insisting that The Who website says something different than exactly what it says.

I'm twisting their words?
:lamo

Wait.

I thought the WHO was full of **** and conspiring with china?

Funny that the second they say something you agree with they are a credible source again.

Ah, so you just came back in mid may, so weren't posting when there was all the talk about the WHO.

Well played!

So you discovered that your claim about me was bogus.

I'm twisting their words?

There's no need for you to mansplain WHO's advice on when and where to wear a mask.

It's right there on the website. If you're healthy, you don't need a mask. Period.

There's no need for you to mansplain WHO's advice on when and where to wear a mask.

It's right there on the website. If you're healthy, you don't need a mask. Period.

Sure, but "healthy" if defined by you having been tested, then that makes more sense. If "healthy" means you feel fine but have no idea if you're an asymptomatic carrier, then not so much. Again, there's nuance here you seem keen on avoiding.

If "healthy" means you feel fine but have no idea if you're an asymptomatic carrier, then not so much.

This "asymptomatic people commonly spread the virus through talking and breathing" assumption was all based on Fauci, and his worst-case interpretation of a study on aerosol sprays, which proved nothing but the fact that viral droplets linger in the air

Now that the WHO disgrees with it, this assumption is almost entirely based on Fauci

So let’s see here. Sweden says the same thing. They are worried that people will go crazy and forget to take any precautions if they wear a mask. In Hong Kong 99% of the people are wearing masks. That’s one of the biggest differences between the two.

Sweden has 10 million people, Hong Kong has 7.5 million, not that much difference. Many obvious factors work against Hong Kong, a very dense population, lots of cross border contact with China, etc. Sweden has 4,350 deaths, one of the highest rates in the world. Hong Kong has 4 deaths...not 4,000, just 4. Sweden is 1,000 times worse.

It just makes common sense for us to emulate countries who are doing a good job rather than those who are doing the worst. Even if we can’t figure out exactly how much each action a country has taken has contributed to their success we should still try to do everything the successful countries have done. Especially something as easy and simple as wearing a mask. Why? Because we know they have a formula, a set of actions, that WORKS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This "asymptomatic people commonly spread the virus through talking and breathing" assumption was all based on Fauci, and his worst-case interpretation of a study on aerosol sprays, which proved nothing but the fact that viral droplets linger in the air

Now that the WHO disgrees with it, this assumption is almost entirely based on Fauci

Not just talking and breathing, but more importantly coughing and sneezing. Asymptomatic and presymptomatic carriers just add another layer of complexity, which is why wearing a mask to reduce the transmission of droplets helps minimize the spread than with no covering at all.

I wrote this on another thread too: If Fauci is wrong the worst thing that could happen is that people have spun their wheels wearing masks for nothing. No one ever died of wearing a mask. But if he is right, then those who have ignored his advice have potentially done a lot of harm to a lot of people.

Just noticed that the video is 2 months old. Odd that the anti maskers at Fox just discovered it. Gotta figure out some way to protect Trump’s vanity.

If you're infected and spreading the virus, it's obvious that wearing a mask will help prevent the spread. The mask will catch some of your spittle particles.

This is the main reason to wear a mask.

DP leftwing chatters now know more than their esteemed WHO leaders. This is hilarious.

I wrote this on another thread too: If Fauci is wrong the worst thing that could happen is that people have spun their wheels wearing masks for nothing. No one ever died of wearing a mask. But if he is right, then those who have ignored his advice have potentially done a lot of harm to a lot of people.

This is the same garbage the climate change nuts spew. "What's the harm in spending $100 billion to address climate change?" Well, duh, the harm is wasting $100 billion.

That's a really good point - I'm just worried that people over-weaking masks for extended periods of time could compromise the quality of the air they're breathing, which would mean that if they were to be infected, their symptoms could be ten times worse

A whole bunch of studies have come out indicating that severity of symptoms can be directly related to air quality, and that people who spend more time breathing in fresh air tend to have much more moderate symptoms

LOL! The WHO is a mess that takes orders from China. But how do those Covid fear mongerers deal with the WHO saying you don't need a mask?

So far it seems that they disbelieve WHO. Hilarious.

Just noticed that the video is 2 months old. Odd that the anti maskers at Fox just discovered it. Gotta figure out some way to protect Trump’s vanity.

This is all likely due to the anti-mask narrative and the quick search for information to support that viewpoint. Thus far the information has been pretty consistent on which masks do what; the only confusion is if one assumes all masks are equal and serve the same function.

Back
Top Bottom