• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When white people tan is it a form of "black face"?

Except it's not just makeup. They're tanning their entire bodies to be darker. I don't see the trend of wanting darker skin to go away anytime soon since it's been that way as long as I can remember (although not to the extreme some people take it). I understand not caring because I don't care what people do with their skin either. I just thought it was an interesting discussion.

The second girl you posted is all make up

Instagram make-up artist PaintDatFace accused of 'blackface'
- BBC Newsbeat

You dished it out first, and I can take it and dish it right back. So take your own damn advice. The only thing I did was point out how your articles didn’t back up the claims of the OP, which is what the other person was making reference to about the right wing media. So if you’re mad at somebody else’s partisan BS, you’re taking it out on the wrong person.

Bringing the "right-wing media" into a discussion about beauty influencers on instagram and youtube is laughable. And my "claims" were that people were calling these influencers out for using blackface --- and they are.

Bringing the "right-wing media" into a discussion about beauty influencers on instagram and youtube is laughable. And my "claims" were that people were calling these influencers out for using blackface --- and they are.

They are being called out for blackface, but it’s not because they are simply tanning.

It’s in the title of your thread. I googled the issue. It is in right wing media and in beauty blogs, but the things that they are actually complaining about are not as simple as you are trying to frame it. It’s not an issue of white people tanning and wearing dark makeup. The Swedish tanning lotion campaign was strange. I don’t know why anybody wanting a basic tan would go for such dark black tan lines on pale white skin. The Paint DAT Face upload was immediately criticized, and the video removed.

I don’t have an opinion on this personally, but I am also not deeply offended that it’s causing minority bloggers to discuss cultural appropriation and blackface as a result. It’s ok for white people to tan.

Supports what I said. A few mentions in some obscure editorials and the right wing pretends it's the issue of the day for the left. Probably because they can use it as a springboard to bring back wholesale blackface just like the good ol' days, m'right?

After all they need something to deflect with and color is always an easy one.

Isn't it amazing how some progressives will deny the existence of common, widespread, easily verified leftist phenomenon? The left's increasingly radical "cancel culture" is playing out regularly on college campuses, mainstream "news" media anchor desks and the pages of print media. Practically every day there's new examples of "progressive" activists, journalists and politicians digging up someone's old social media comments, that don't strictly adhere to modern leftist 'sensibilities'.

Then they WIDELY spread the "horrible words" made by someone in a social media post long ago. They twist and spin the narrative, exaggerating the "speech-crime". Then they rile up the progressive base, who Immediately DEMAND that the perpetrator's life be ruined, fired from their job, kicked out of school, demonized on social media, thrown out of their apartments, and symbolically tarred and feathered in a VERY public way! The whole thing is an insidious political intimidation strategy, designed to shut down public discourse and dissent against their ideology. .

Or for simply using a word that activists have recently deemed unacceptable! The notion of "cultural appropriation" is one of many examples, where they write articles, and have roundtable discussions on the "evil" of allowing your white kid to dress in a friggin Black Panther Halloween costume!

Here's a video from CBS, which touches on this. It's one of many videos on leftist cancel culture:

Last edited:
Except it's not just makeup. They're tanning their entire bodies to be darker. I don't see the trend of wanting darker skin to go away anytime soon since it's been that way as long as I can remember (although not to the extreme some people take it). I understand not caring because I don't care what people do with their skin either. I just thought it was an interesting discussion.

It could have been, sigh. I guess you've learned your lesson. We're down to "right-wing" and "beauty blog" in the same sentence. Good grief. :doh

Sure why not. And when Latino's speak spanish or Portuguese they're engaging in cultural appropriation. That ain't there language. There are over 440 indigenous languages in Latin America, they couldn't choose one of those? Nooooooo, they just had to steal the Europeans, didn't they? God damn thieves.

:roll:

I'd be happy to have the world go back to:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I'd be happy to have the world go back to:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

That's how I see it. If you're darkening it because you believe darker skin is more beautiful, I don't see that as racist. Blackface was when people would darken their skin to poke fun at black people, not because they thought it made them more attractive.

However, in my opinion, most of these women look much better as their natural self. I was watching one famous beauty youtuber the other day and she was talking about the outfit she had on. Her shirt was a little short and she said to pay no attention to her pale stomach -- she only self-tans her chest, arms and legs in the winter time. How ridiculous she must look naked.

That's how I see it. If you're darkening it because you believe darker skin is more beautiful, I don't see that as racist. Blackface was when people would darken their skin to poke fun at black people, not because they thought it made them more attractive.

However, in my opinion, most of these women look much better as their natural self. I was watching one famous beauty youtuber the other day and she was talking about the outfit she had on. Her shirt was a little short and she said to pay no attention to her pale stomach -- she only self-tans her chest, arms and legs in the winter time. How ridiculous she must look naked.

Not sure if it's still a thing, but not long ago Asians were bleaching their skin to be more "white", and having surgery on their eyes to have more "western" appearing eyes.

Wow. :shock:

They really do walk among us.

I have to admit, when I saw the OP I thought, "This has got to be one of those 'one nut on Twitter' things."

"Appropriation." Feh. Haven't these people ever heard that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? :shrug:

ETA: Looks like @Dragonfly beat me to the punch.

It does raise an interesting question, though: If you tan enough, can you claim minority status on your college admission applications? :2razz:

I worked outside for thirty five years and never turned brown enough to claim to be a minority.

Not sure if it's still a thing, but not long ago Asians were bleaching their skin to be more "white", and having surgery on their eyes to have more "western" appearing eyes.

It's still a thing. Lots of Korean skincare has whitening properties.

I worked outside for thirty five years and never turned brown enough to claim to be a minority.

These people are using tanning lotions and beds to fake it.

I didn't know that. But I Googled and found this: "Whitening is meant to be synonymous with glowing, radiant, and luminous, but in English, it doesn’t translate that way. It’s not about your skin color, but about the radiance of your skin." K-beauty Translations: What "Whitening" Means in Korean Beauty

I want this: White Pearlsation Revitalizing Pearl Treatment Toner

Soko Glam

Skin whitening has been a trend all over Asia and India for thousands of years. Darker skin indicated/indicates that you spent a lot of time working outside and were/are therefore a member of the lower class.

Skin whitening has been a trend all over Asia and India for thousands of years. Darker skin indicated/indicates that you spent a lot of time working outside and were/are therefore a member of the lower class.

Yes, I know. Did you read the article I linked? From that, "There is some historical context to be added here. In Far East Asia, having light skin or white skin used to mean not having to do physical labor out in the fields and was therefore equated with wealth and beauty, which of course, was not a positive thing to believe. It also had nothing to do with someone wanting to change their race."

Yes, I know. Did you read the article I linked? From that, "There is some historical context to be added here. In Far East Asia, having light skin or white skin used to mean not having to do physical labor out in the fields and was therefore equated with wealth and beauty, which of course, was not a positive thing to believe. It also had nothing to do with someone wanting to change their race."

Never said it had anything to do with wanting to change their race, but to say that these aren’t skin whitening products is just not the case.

Have they, really? First I've heard of it.

Could it just be there's been one or two mentions and the right wing media have seized on this as the latest reason to roll eyes at people of color?

And how did it happen anyway that what random people post on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram has become important enough to bring to a discussion site?

When white people tan it is a prelude to skin cancer.

I didn't know that. But I Googled and found this: "Whitening is meant to be synonymous with glowing, radiant, and luminous, but in English, it doesn’t translate that way. It’s not about your skin color, but about the radiance of your skin." K-beauty Translations: What "Whitening" Means in Korean Beauty

I want this: White Pearlsation Revitalizing Pearl Treatment Toner

Soko Glam

I was talking more about products that actually lighten the skin -- they are meant to lighten dark spots. I used one on a scar I had on my cheek. I've heard of people using them to lighten their sun spots and freckles as well. It's not meant to make you look like a different race -- just to lighten discoloration.

Back
Top Bottom