• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When white people tan is it a form of "black face"?

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This question has been coming up around the beauty community on social media. A lot of people have been calling out "influencers" on Instagram and YouTube and other platforms for changing the color of their skin by using tanning beds or tanning lotions. Is this a form of black face, something harmless or something in between?

maxresdefault.jpg

paintdatfacesquare.jpg

This question has been coming up around the beauty community on social media. A lot of people have been calling out "influencers" on Instagram and YouTube and other platforms for changing the color of their skin by using tanning beds or tanning lotions.

Have they, really? First I've heard of it.

Could it just be there's been one or two mentions and the right wing media have seized on this as the latest reason to roll eyes at people of color?

This question has been coming up around the beauty community on social media. A lot of people have been calling out "influencers" on Instagram and YouTube and other platforms for changing the color of their skin by using tanning beds or tanning lotions. Is this a form of black face, something harmless or something in between?

View attachment 67269069

View attachment 67269070

Actually it's called "cancer face".

My opinion has always been that "blackface", as an action, is a deliberate attempt to ridicule or demean POC through the use of makeup, particularly when used to exaggerate stereotypical features. The use of tanning agents or devices should never be considered blackface, nor should the use of black (as opposed to various shades of brown) makeup for cosplay, such as doing Drow. I would even go as far as saying the using makeup to accurately represent a racial skin tone other than your natural one (which I will included tanned as natural) for a specific character or historical figure is not the same as blackfacing either as it is not intended to demean or ridicule.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

Those women aren't tanned. They're caked with makeup.

Anyone remember "Tan Mom"?

tan mom.JPG

Nope, and why would that be any different than black people choosing to straighten their hair or the really bizarre stuff that Michael Jackson did to alter his natural appearance?

View attachment 67269069

View attachment 67269070

Suuuuure! Just like Black people wearing Western clothes instead of loin cloth and going around topless is Cultural Appropriation. ;)

Can’t post what I want, as this forum is non-political........

Can’t post what I want, as this forum is non-political........

Is cultural appropriation, racism and Political Correctness political? If so, then this applies since the OP includes them all.

Could it just be there's been one or two mentions and the right wing media have seized on this as the latest reason to roll eyes at people of color?

Might it be wise to Google first before making a statement such as this? :roll:

From November 2018: Some White Influencers Are Being Accused of "Blackfishing," or Using Makeup to Appear Black | Teen Vogue

How Much Can You Tan Before It's Considered Appropriation? - Essence

UPDATED! Blackface 2.0: The Trend of White Women Posing as Black Women

This has nothing to do with the "right wing media," dude.

No, they tan themselves. They don't put darker makeup on their entire body.

The photos of those young women are makeup, not tanning.

The photos of those young women are makeup, not tanning.

You're wrong. :shrug: They use tanning lotions or tanning beds and makeup. Almost every super famous beauty influencer uses tanning lotions to darken their skin.

This is the first girl. She's not putting a dark foundation all over her body. She's tanning herself into that color.

5HECJQU65VA7FBLUENI5M2OF3I.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 67269069

View attachment 67269070

Stupid question.

The reason white people tan themselves is because, at least in my day...it was thought to look healthy, and also a bit sexy.

I don't think equating this to black face has any basis in reality.

View attachment 67269069

View attachment 67269070

I've always found it hilarious that white people do this. In practically the entire first of the world, lighter colored skin is always seen as the ideal. Even in places where almost everyone has dark skin, whiteness is still seen as more attractive. White people are the only weirdos who actively try to make themselves darker. Which is ironic considering their history of oppressing and colonizing people of color. You'd think they wouldn't want to look like them.

I've always found it hilarious that white people do this. In practically the entire first of the world, lighter colored skin is always seen as the ideal. Even in places where almost everyone has dark skin, whiteness is still seen as more attractive. White people are the only weirdos who actively try to make themselves darker. Which is ironic considering their history of oppressing and colonizing people of color. You'd think they wouldn't want to look like them.

Read between the lines: It appears caramel is the ideal skin color.

View attachment 67269069

View attachment 67269070

I don't know, but based on these pictures, it seems to make them look like drag queens.

View attachment 67269069

View attachment 67269070

I have a hard time understanding why they want to look so different. I also have a hard time caring about this whole issue.

I have a hard time understanding why they want to look so different. I also have a hard time caring about this whole issue.

I guess they need to make up controversy.

Maybe they are trolling the beauty video market

Some of the more racist ones got butthurt because they can't go around in blackface, so now we have to answer stupid questions about make up.

Back
Top Bottom