• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:286] Are US child migrant detainees entitled to soap and beds?

Re: Government argues that child migrant detainees are not entitled to soap and beds

Appropriate care and conditions while the government is responsible for them. The government chooses to take them into custody, they government takes a duty of care, especially to children. You pay for that because the government represents you. How is that hard to understand?
Wow at how many likes you recieved for something so fundamentally wrong.

The government is obligated to adhere to the law. They dont have a choice. It is obligated to take these people into custody. It is slso obligated to adhere to the flores decission which the lawyers are arguing has not been violated.

This is just another example of how poorly written the flores decission was. Its entirely too ridgid in some areas and too ambigious in others. The judge was asked to modify her ruling and refused. Congress has been asked for additionsl funding to provide more things to these people and has refused. Congress has sll refused to reform the current immigration laws.

People on the right are the ones who have been telping all of you thst there is a crisis at our border that needs to be addressed. The left have been the ones making the argument based on an appeal to suthority claiming we must follow the law. Well guess what the law sucks.

Just maybe now we can all agree yo come together snd make some meaningful reforms to alleviate the pain be inflicted on everyone involved. (Yeah right, who am i kidding)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Re: Government argues that child migrant detainees are not entitled to soap and beds

You forgot their rights to a Nintendo and color TV..

Should illegal immigrant children be kept in a facility without warm meals, clean clothes and showers for 25 days?

Lawyers: 250 children held in bad conditions at Texas border

EL PASO, Texas (AP) — A traumatic and dangerous situation is unfolding for some 250 infants, children and teens locked up for up to 27 days without adequate food, water and sanitation, according to a legal team that interviewed dozens of children at a Border Patrol station in Texas.

The attorneys who recently visited the facility near El Paso told The Associated Press that three girls, ages 10 to 15, said they had been taking turns watching over a sick 2-year-old boy because there was no one else to look after him.

When the lawyers saw the boy, he wasn’t wearing a diaper and had wet his pants, and his shirt was smeared in mucus.
They said at least 15 children at the facility had the flu, and some were kept in medical quarantine.

Just a simple question, do you approve of this? Yes or no.

It doesn't matter if they are illegal aliens. That doesn't make it ok to not give them clean clothes.

Are you honestly arguing that it's ok to put illegal immigrant children in a facility for 25 days without warm meals, clean clothes and showers? is that your position?

They can't be held for 25 days.
No, it is not okay, and it was NEVER OKAY...

Where was your outrage in all the years before Trump became the president? Put your politics aside and open your eyes...

Absence of legally binding regulations to protect children in DHS custody. Upon apprehension, UICs are held in DHS custody. Although there are standards to guide the treatment of UICs, DHS lacks appropriate legally binding regulations to protect children in their custody. Currently, little oversight exists to ensure that UICs are treated humanely and cared for according to child-appropriate protocols while in DHS custody.

Unaccompanied Immigrant Children | National Immigrant Justice Center

Re: Are US child migrant detainees entitled to soap and beds?

Tell me again, how the Trump haters care about the children... Better to exploit them than to admit that you only care when it's happening under Trump's reign. And that is shameful....

Egregious violations of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) medical care standards played a prominent role in eight in-custody deaths from 2010 to 2012. Fatal Neglect: How ICE Ignores Deaths in Detention, a report jointly produced by the American Civil Liberties Union, Detention Watch Network, and National Immigrant Justice Center, examines these deaths and the agency’s response to them. Our research shows that even though ICE conducted reviews that identified violations of medical standards as contributing factors in these deaths, routine ICE detention facility inspections before and after the deaths failed to acknowledge—or at times dismissed—these violations. Instead of forcing changes in culture, systems, and processes that could reduce future deaths, ICE’s deficient inspections system essentially swept the agency’s own death review findings under the rug.

Report | Fatal Neglect: How ICE Ignores Deaths in Detention | National Immigrant Justice Center

They can't be held for 25 days.
No, it is not okay, and it was NEVER OKAY...
Jesus Christ on a cracker, thank god for you. I had to ask about a hundred times before I got a single Trump Supporter to say that it's not ok to keep a sick 2 year old child in a facility with no diaper, wet pants, clothes smeared in snot with improper access to a bath or warm food. You should really consider the company you keep. Because I had to wade knee deep through piles of excrement until I found you, the lone trump supporter so far that thinks that our government should treat migrant children with at least the same basic necessities that I give my dog.
Where was your outrage in all the years before Trump became the president? Put your politics aside and open your eyes...

Unaccompanied Immigrant Children | National Immigrant Justice Center

And there we go, even when we finally get a trump supporter to admit this **** is wrong they try to twist it to "but bad stuff has happened in the past!" **** that noise. I don't give a single flying **** what you want me to say about that **** in the past. It's happening right now and it's messed up. Trying to divert from that to anything else is nonsensical political bull**** and you should know better. There's no excuse.

The American taxpayer shells 40 grand per day taking care of these illegals. How much do you non taxpayers lay out?
The average American tax payer doesn't get paid 40K a day, much less get taxed that much in a year. Lol, this is why you guys lost bigly in 2018.

Sent from the Oval Office using Putin's MacBook, and Barr's Wi-Fi password.

Make sure they get Nintendo’s and color tv”s.

Wow. Says alot about you that you can't answer such a simple question.

No, children shouldn't be suffering ... what's your solution?

You forgot their rights to a Nintendo and color TV..

2hb94q.jpg

Because you are so critical. We, the American taxpayer did not invite these folks here. They came uninvited. We spend 40 grand per day taking care of them. 40 grand is no small amount and still you bitch bitch bitch. Now go get them a Nintendo and a color tv because I think they get three meals a day, a bed, not sure about showers daily or spanking new clothes but I suspect they didn’t get that **** at home either.

What would jesus do?

What would jesus do?

He would feed them. Fish and bread.

The article is complete bunk. There is no evidence that they have no been giving these things.
if people would have read the article itself it simply wasn't listed on a piece of paper that doesn't mean
they are not getting showers food water and clothing.

if anything it is a clerical oversite.
i will wait for actual evidence of abuse vs stupidity like this.

Facts don't care about your feelings. The equations to concentration camps are valid.

No, children shouldn't be suffering ... what's your solution?
Off the top of my head.

1. Provide the kids with basic essentials.
2. Hire more lawyers and judges so that these cases can be processed faster, as was requested by the former ICE Chief (which then Trump said we didn't need more judges).
3. Nominate someone with experience running the government to lead DHS, which has had an "acting secretary" for over 2 months without even a nominee to run it.
4. Raise hell so that Trump and Trumpkins know this **** is not acceptable.
5. Attack him and his supporters for this day in and day out until it's fixed.
6. Vote for someone who doesn't think that child abuse is a proper immigration plan in 2020.

Wow at how many likes you recieved for something so fundamentally wrong.

The government is obligated to adhere to the law. They dont have a choice. It is obligated to take these people into custody. It is slso obligated to adhere to the flores decission which the lawyers are arguing has not been violated.

That's all correct, and the legal argument is if the decision doesn't mention soap and toothbrushes, they're unnecessary to meet "clean and sanitary" which is pretty indefensible. How can anyone read "clean and sanitary" and then decide - well, you know, we can do that WITHOUT providing soap and toothbrushes! Can you explain that for us?

This is just another example of how poorly written the flores decission was. Its entirely too ridgid in some areas and too ambigious in others. The judge was asked to modify her ruling and refused. Congress has been asked for additionsl funding to provide more things to these people and has refused. Congress has sll refused to reform the current immigration laws.

That part of the decision is only "ambiguous" if the person reading it is determined to make it so. Clean and sanitary might leave some legitimate differences of opinion on the margins - daily showers? Showers twice a week? OK, that's fine. NO SHOWERS and NO SOAP isn't in the realm of the reasonable reading of any decision requiring "clean and sanitary."

And no one has yet demonstrated the funding per day is insufficient. Do you think the private prisons are losing money and that's forcing them to withhold soap? I'd bet my car that's not happening, and funding is sufficient, and it's incompetence or sadism, intentional cruelty and hardship, that explains the conditions.

People on the right are the ones who have been telping all of you thst there is a crisis at our border that needs to be addressed. The left have been the ones making the argument based on an appeal to suthority claiming we must follow the law. Well guess what the law sucks.

Uh....following the law isn't an appeal to authority. It's literally what's required, of you and me and the government and its contractors. We're a nation of laws.

Just maybe now we can all agree yo come together snd make some meaningful reforms to alleviate the pain be inflicted on everyone involved. (Yeah right, who am i kidding)

I suspect you've hit on something there, which is using intentionally inflicted 'pain' on immigrants as a bargaining chip.

Off the top of my head.

1. Provide the kids with basic essentials.
2. Hire more lawyers and judges so that these cases can be processed faster, as was requested by the former ICE Chief (which then Trump said we didn't need more judges).
3. Nominate someone with experience running the government to lead DHS, which has had an "acting secretary" for over 2 months without even a nominee to run it.
4. Raise hell so that Trump and Trumpkins know this **** is not acceptable.
5. Attack him and his supporters for this day in and day out until it's fixed.
6. Vote for someone who doesn't think that child abuse is a proper immigration plan in 2020.

So, go whine to your dem leaders, they're the ones withholding the border funding.

Because you are so critical. We, the American taxpayer did not invite these folks here. They came uninvited. We spend 40 grand per day taking care of them. 40 grand is no small amount and still you bitch bitch bitch. Now go get them a Nintendo and a color tv because I think they get three meals a day, a bed, not sure about showers daily or spanking new clothes but I suspect they didn’t get that **** at home either.

Still didn't answer. Still saying alot about you.

Do you approve?

Lawyers: 250 children held in bad conditions at Texas border
EL PASO, Texas (AP) — A traumatic and dangerous situation is unfolding for some 250 infants, children and teens locked up for up to 27 days without adequate food, water and sanitation, according to a legal team that interviewed dozens of children at a Border Patrol station in Texas.

The attorneys who recently visited the facility near El Paso told The Associated Press that three girls, ages 10 to 15, said they had been taking turns watching over a sick 2-year-old boy because there was no one else to look after him.

When the lawyers saw the boy, he wasn’t wearing a diaper and had wet his pants, and his shirt was smeared in mucus.
They said at least 15 children at the facility had the flu, and some were kept in medical quarantine.

The children told lawyers that they were fed uncooked frozen food or rice and had gone weeks without bathing or a clean change of clothes at the facility in Clint, in the desert scrubland some 25 miles southeast of El Paso.

What would jesus do?

Well, he wouldn't condone this:

"An investigation by Human Rights First and MALDEF toward the end of the Obama administration found that the Karnes family-detention center had reportedly hidden multiple incidents of abuse, trauma, and sexual exploitation, including “kissing, fondling and/or groping female detainees in front of other detainees, including children.”

Separating Children From Their Parents Is a New Low for Our Immigration System | The Nation

...and toothbrushes. The government argues 'no.' Watching Ms. Fabian argue this today, I thought I would vomit. My God, what have we become?

Are US child migrant detainees entitled to soap and beds? - BBC News

Hmm...entitled? No, not if they are in your country illegally.

But FFS, there's just some things people should do anyway.

Also, we're talking about kids here...not sure they had the option of whether or not to obey the law, they were likely brought or forced to come across. Not sure punishing them will solve anything.

What would jesus do?

He would wash their feet, but with out soap.

You need to reread whichever source told you $40,000 per day. That's just not a correct number no matter how you read it. It's too high per person by several orders of magnitude and way too low in total by even more orders of magnitude.

And what you're pointing out is they're not starved to death, which is a point in our favor I guess, and they might, you think, get something we can call a "bed" like we provide convicted felons, but probably not as nice. Should we award them a cookie for those efforts? Is that really the new standard for Reagan's Shining City on a Hill - illegal immigrants are NOT!!! deliberately starved to death and often are provided beds in our detention/concentration camps!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom