• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Van driver runs over multiple people in Toronto - terrorism not ruled out[W:21]

Re: Van driver runs over multiple people in Toronto - terrorism not ruled out

Still waiting.

Because I already know the answer. ;)

Let me try to understand. Are you denying those attacks, and foiled attacks, were NOT done by Muslims?

NEVER did I say he was an Islamist. NEVER.

Uh...That is all you are saying..I recall some angry white man shot several outside a Mosque in Quebec recently.....Seems your "kind" aren't immune from the crazy either

NEVER did I say he was an Islamist. NEVER.

This guy's religion has not been revealed, yet CTV is reporting that ISIS has not claimed credit. That's either a very odd non sequitur, or it's CTV's way of saying he's Muslim. Either way, they should just tell us his religion and end the speculation.

Hmmmm

I dont think it is too early to talk about banning these Assault Vans. Where is David Kardashian Hogg when you need him?

One really does have to stand in awe at the level of humanity and compassion your post represents.

Yeah so, according to an eyewitness the perpetrator was of middle-eastern origin (Armenian actually)

Do you know what religion the vast majority of Armenians belong to?

Did you know that Armenia was the first nation to adopt Christianity (in 301 AD)? (FYI - That's roughly 1,191 years before Columbus "discovered" America and roughly 1,475 years before the American "Declaration of Independence".)

London is on pace to record 200 murders this year, if current trends continue. Most of these murders will include a knife as the murder weapon, instead of a gun. It just goes to show that people who are intent on being violent will find a way, whether guns are an option or not.

It's true that London's murder stats would probably be much higher if guns were easier to acquire there.

Americans aren't fond of the idea of denying everyone the ability to own something, just because a small segment of the population are unchecked metal cases, terrorists, or criminals.

Given the sheer amount of people that joined in on the nationwide US march against guns I would have to disagree.

This has been an interesting discussion, but I noticed one factor that has been overlooked:

Toronto police officer draws praise for refusing to shoot van suspect​

Does anyone seriously doubt that this person would be seriously dead if they had done the same thing in the US?

Since Canadian cops and American cops BOTH "have guns", what to you think is the difference in the way that the Toronto police officer approached the situation and the way that it would have been approached in (almost) any place in the United States of America?

Uh...That is all you are saying..I recall some angry white man shot several outside a Mosque in Quebec recently.....Seems your "kind" aren't immune from the crazy either

We're talking about the van driver in Toronto. Unless you show me a post in which I said this guy was an Islamist OR a Muslim, we're done.

We're talking about the van driver in Toronto. Unless you show me a post in which I said this guy was an Islamist OR a Muslim, we're done.

You fear mongering of Islam (or your limited knowledge of it) speaks for itself

~ Does anyone seriously doubt that this person would be seriously dead if they had done the same thing in the US? ~

Yeah, thought the same thing too. The officer had to assess the situation quickly and from his actions it shows that he quickly realised the guy wasn't holding a real gun. When the officer sheaths his gun and instead draws his baton it's clear he's in control of the situation.

I would say this arrest video should be regularly shown in US police training camp but you have to remember that according to many B.S. American posters here, we can't compare US gun laws and shootings against anywhere else.

You're the only one here worth talking to, but I've got a day of errands ahead of me. I'll get back to you.

That's because, through a proper education and real world experience, I know what I am talking about:

- The vast majority of Muslims in the MENA/South Asia are not religious.

- The vast majority of those who are religious, do not subscribe to the Islamist world view.

- Between 82% and 97% of the victims of Islamist terrorism are other Muslims.

And spouting off a Qur'anic verse from a source written in the seventh century doesn't cut it. Even the Islamists, like the Islamic Modernists, interpret and pervert those verses. Both did it in their individual philosophies when they created their movements in order to try to make the verses relevant in the modern age, because they understood that Muslims needed to revive Islam in order to escape Western colonialism and imperialism. All you are doing is selectively pushing certain Islamist interpretations as defining Islam.

As I have made clear in the past, even Qutb, the author of what is considered to be the terrorist handbook (1964's Milestones), would not recognize today's decrepit Islamists and what they have done. He would have even disagreed with Faraj, who assassinated Sadat, because that act was not in keeping with his intent on "removing" the false leaders and it did great harm to the Islamist philosophy. Al-Banna definitely would not recognize today's mess because his interpretations of Qur'anic verses involved a celebration of the sciences, philosophy, and modernism. His idea of a "true" Islamic state was not to turn the clock back to barbarism. And al-Banna had a relationship with Sadat during WWII. So, by spouting off certain Qur'anic verses, as interpreted by today's Islamist extremists, you have chosen the extreme minority as a suitable representation of the vast whole.

By defaulting to what today's Islamists do as merely Islamic, you insult an entire region of people who want nothing to do with Islamists. I have told you all of this before. You just refuse to get it because it doesn't jive with the stereotypes that you have grown to prefer. You dislike the few, therefore you denigrate all.

That's because, through a proper education and real world experience, I know what I am talking about:

- The vast majority of Muslims in the MENA/South Asia are not religious.

- The vast majority of those who are religious, do not subscribe to the Islamist world view.

- Between 82% and 97% of the victims of Islamist terrorism are other Muslims.

And spouting off a Qur'anic verse from a source written in the seventh century doesn't cut it. Even the Islamists, like the Islamic Modernists, interpret and pervert those verses. Both did it in their individual philosophies when they created their movements in order to try to make the verses relevant in the modern age, because they understood that Muslims needed to revive Islam in order to escape Western colonialism and imperialism. All you are doing is selectively pushing certain Islamist interpretations as defining Islam.

As I have made clear in the past, even Qutb, the author of what is considered to be the terrorist handbook (1964's Milestones), would not recognize today's decrepit Islamists and what they have done. He would have even disagreed with Faraj, who assassinated Sadat, because that act was not in keeping with his intent on "removing" the false leaders and it did great harm to the Islamist philosophy. Al-Banna definitely would not recognize today's mess because his interpretations of Qur'anic verses involved a celebration of the sciences, philosophy, and modernism. His idea of a "true" Islamic state was not to turn the clock back to barbarism. And al-Banna had a relationship with Sadat during WWII. So, by spouting off certain Qur'anic verses, as interpreted by today's Islamist extremists, you have chosen the extreme minority as a suitable representation of the vast whole.

By defaulting to what today's Islamists do as merely Islamic, you insult an entire region of people who want nothing to do with Islamists. I have told you all of this before. You just refuse to get it because it doesn't jive with the stereotypes that you have grown to prefer. You dislike the few, therefore you denigrate all.

Again, I'm busy today. Only time for this brief drive-by. Later.

Yes, and I found that weird and out of the blue.

Stand Down.....The guy was not Muslim, or a Jihadists....He hated women...ranted and raved about in weird web sites ...Pretty Bizarre stuff..Most of the victims were woman...That is awful...Pray for the families and Canada

Yes, and I found that weird and out of the blue.

Not really. IS, al-Qaeda, and others love to claim responsibility for things they did not do; and Islamist terrorist far away love to create even the slightest link in order to belong to something bigger. From this the media goes wild with speculation. Hell, the media doesn't even wait for that. Just look at the Oklahoma City bombing. For the first couple days the American media, such as NBC, CNN, and Fox, all fed off of each other and was reporting that Iran was "most likely" behind it.

Declaring that this was not IS was simply an attempt to knock that crap to the side before the media got reckless.

Stand Down.....The guy was not Muslim, or a Jihadists

Why are you telling this to me? Where did I ever say he was?

....He hated women...ranted and raved about in weird web sites ...Pretty Bizarre stuff..Most of the victims were woman...That is awful...Pray for the families and Canada

Yup.

Not really. IS, al-Qaeda, and others love to claim responsibility for things they did not do; and Islamist terrorist far away love to create even the slightest link in order to belong to something bigger. From this the media goes wild with speculation. Hell, the media doesn't even wait for that. Just look at the Oklahoma City bombing. For the first couple days the American media, such as NBC, CNN, and Fox, all fed off of each other and was reporting that Iran was "most likely" behind it.

Declaring that this was not IS was simply an attempt to knock that crap to the side before the media got reckless.

That makes sense, but it would have been much more informative had they added something like, "given that he's not Muslim", or "despite the fact that he is Muslim" (whichever is the case). Wouldn't that make even more sense?

This has been an interesting discussion, but I noticed one factor that has been overlooked:

Toronto police officer draws praise for refusing to shoot van suspect​

Does anyone seriously doubt that this person would be seriously dead if they had done the same thing in the US?

Since Canadian cops and American cops BOTH "have guns", what to you think is the difference in the way that the Toronto police officer approached the situation and the way that it would have been approached in (almost) any place in the United States of America?

I read about that today and yes I agree it likely that the result would have been different had it been a US cop.

My understanding is that Canadian police agencies, in response to shooting incidents that were similar to those we have in the US, have been training their officers in de-escalation techniques and trying to get their officers out of a "shoot first and ask questions later" mindset. Perhaps one of our Canadian posters who's closer to this can comment?

If so though, we probably can learn some lessons from our northern brothers.

Like Arthur Allan Thomas?

That wasn't clear cut. There were all sorts of problems with evidence and court procedures... retrial was also denied.

I read about that today and yes I agree it likely that the result would have been different had it been a US cop.

My understanding is that Canadian police agencies, in response to shooting incidents that were similar to those we have in the US, have been training their officers in de-escalation techniques and trying to get their officers out of a "shoot first and ask questions later" mindset. Perhaps one of our Canadian posters who's closer to this can comment?

If so though, we probably can learn some lessons from our northern brothers.

I think they should have shot him, it's shameful they didn't. If you know someone is dangerous enough to kill 10 people they should shoot first unless he's apprehended unarmed. They pose a risk to public safety

Back
Top Bottom